Barišić Possibly out of the final

I know Flanagan wasn't great yesterday however he was one of the only pass marks in the last old firm and kept Forrest out of the game entirely it shows he is capable of doing the job but needs to be much more switched on than yesterday

Barisic will play on Sunday.

I completely agree about Flanagan; however, he takes a couple of games to get up to speed and he hasn't got that luxury.

Was he injured by that Hamilton thug? Not even a free kick if I remember correctly.
We've had players put out the game for months in recent years ,almost years in Dorrans case and the opposition player not even been booked.Standad of refereeing that allows these hatchet men to literally injure players with over the top reckless tackles is a disgrace in this country.Roughing up more skilful better players is a legitimate strategy that is tolerated by the officials especially when involving us imo.

Last edited:
I think he will play but need to be careful with cortisone injections as they only mask the pain. They’re not intended to be a long term solution. If he could get to the winter break on them, that’d be great
One of our legendary players Tam Forsyth has mobility issues to this day because of the amount of these injections that he had during his career

This resting players ..unless carrying an injury will come back to bite us!
In fact last night, it certainly did!!

Aye let’s run the players into the ground, same 11 every week, because that’s how modern football works.

Barisic was/is carrying an injury.

Kamara was replaced by Arfield who played well and scored.

I hope to god the boy is fit for sunday,we will need every break that is going to lift the cup .

1 thing that's slightly overlooked with Barisic because he is so good going forward and getting dangerous crosses in is he's actually very good defensively. That should hopefully help the defence overall as we were all over the place.I know the main culprits were the 2 CH's but sometimes just 1 change in a back 4 can create a wee bit of uncertainty that leads to errors.
No excuses for them, the 2 goals were goals you'd be embarrassed to lose at 5s.

1 thing that's slightly overlooked with Barisic because he is so good going forward and getting dangerous crosses in is he's actually very good defensively. That should hopefully help the defence overall as we were all over the place.I know the main culprits were the 2 CH's but sometimes just 1 change in a back 4 can create a wee bit of uncertainty that leads to errors.
I agree with that.

It's funny now that given the way our other 3 defenders have played over recent games or months, you'd probably say Barisic is our best defender. I think like everyone he got pulled about a bit in the first 30 at Feyenoord, but I literally can't remember anyone tearing him up and skinning him at any time. I think he's been pretty good positionally as well.

I agree with that.

It's funny now that given the way our other 3 defenders have played over recent games or months, you'd probably say Barisic is our best defender. I think like everyone he got pulled about a bit in the first 30 at Feyenoord, but I literally can't remember anyone tearing him up and skinning him at any time. I think he's been pretty good positionally as well.
For a modern attacking FB he's a very good defender. Certainly better positionally than Tavernier who although improved does sometimes get pulled about the park and leaves us exposed.
I always thought he'd come good but how good that part of his game is has been a pleasant surprise for me.

I agree with that.

Agreed. Funny that Croatias left back is actually a top defender as well.

He is in our top 3 players IMO. Alfie, Kent and Barisic.

No doubt in my mind he'll be playing. Will bring a bit of confidence and calm to the back 4 as a whole.

Big boost if he does play. Flanagan didn't do much wrong (Kent at fault for 1st goal) but I'd play Halliday if Borna misses out.

Agreed. Funny that Croatias left back is actually a top defender as well.

He is in our top 3 players IMO. Alfie, Kent and Barisic.

I wasn't quite saying I'm shocked at that, but prior to him cementing his place, you'd have been forgiven for thinking he was a shitebag and a poor defender, according to most on here.

Probably the most pressure he's been under was against Forrest on his OF debut last year when we lost 1-0, and although Forrest tried to run him a few times, Borna stuck it out and managed to get back and block his crosses out for corners etc. I actually thought Barisic had a good game that day, which seemed to be forgotten when his confidence was dented and he was in and out.

I'd agree with your best players part, but would also have McGregor, Jack and Davis in there too.

He’s the best fullback in the league

Borna Barisic gives Rangers huge fitness boost ahead of Celtic final as pain management programme revealed
The Croatian international's return will be a massive boost to Steven Gerrard's men.
Gavin Berry
  • 23:15, 5 DEC 2019
SPORT
(Image: SNS Group)
Get the biggest Sportstories by email
Subscribe
We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see ourPrivacy Noticefor details of your data protection rights
Borna Barisic is in line to start Sunday’s Betfred Cup Final – handing Rangers a major injury boost ahead of the Old Firm showdown.
Light Blues boss Steven Gerrard admitted the Croat faced a race against time to be fit for the derby after sitting out Wednesday’s 2-2 draw against Aberdeen at Pittodrie with a foot injury.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads

The in-form international full-back was a big miss with Jon Flanagan deputising for what was the former Liverpool full-back’s first appearance since the league loss to Celtic three months ago.
Flanagan or Andy Halliday are back-up options for the left back role but Record Sport can reveal that Barisic is winning his fitness battle after receiving further treatment yesterday.
The 27-year-old revealed he picked up his foot injury against Livingston last month and sustained further knocks on the same injury while playing for Croatia against Slovakia and against Hamilton.
Barisic has been taking painkilling injections but Rangers medical staff felt he needed a rest for the trip to Aberdeen as they look to manage the problem.

(Image: SNS Group)
They are confident he will take his place in Rangers’ line-up at Hampden and can soldier on until the winter break when he can get the rest required.
A Rangers source said: “Borna is likely to play. First of all, he is a very brave guy and he will do everything he can to play and it is the belief of everyone at Rangers that he will play.
“He has been getting three or four injections in the last three games and you can’t do that every three days or you will make it worse.
“The injury needed rest so it was better for all concerned that he sat out the game against Aberdeen but he received some treatment on Thursday and is feeling much better and likely to play against Celtic.

READ MORE
“The management won’t make a final decision until Friday or Saturday but it is almost certain that Borna will play in the game.
“In the long term he must continue to manage the injury and get to the break in January and have a complete rest so he can fully recover.”
Speaking after the recent 2-2 draw against Feyenoord in Rotterdam, Barisic said: “It’s not a big injury - just that you need a couple of days rest but the problem is we don’t have that time with so many games coming.”
READ MORE
Rangers FC
  • Like us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter

Don’t recall a head knock, but he’s had his fair share of behind battered around. Looked at the fixtures for rest of month, hopefully he can make it through. Hopefully it is just some bruising and pain and not an actually injury because I get the absolute fear about using cortisone to mask injuries because you’re guaranteed to make them worse

My current favourite player (would also like
To add I never wrote him off. Almost did after Killie away this year)

Well said.

I must admit that I did albeit later than most but have been absolutely delighted that he’s proven me wrong mate.

Aye let’s run the players into the ground, same 11 every week, because that’s how modern football works.

Barisic was/is carrying an injury.

Kamara was replaced by Arfield who played well and scored.
I agree to a point although I don't think Aberdeen away is one where we should be resting players imo. We need our strongest team available in some of the tougher away fixtures. Players can be rested in the so called easier games at home.

Bone bruising is a killer but he should be able to get through the game if he takes an injection. Whether he wants to do that or not is another matter.

Hopefully Borna will be fit for Sunday, but it is likely one of that lot will put the boot in on him early doors.

think he will play. We need him , need width on both side. this was missing on Wednesday .

Am I right in saying he already took injections to play against Hearts?

As it stands this is our biggest game of the season and we need him.

Am I right in saying he already took injections to play against Hearts?

As it stands this is our biggest game of the season and we need him.

I have had it before and it's really painful, especially when you kick the ball in the area with the bruising. You can be out with it for a number of months, depending on how bad it is. His obviously isn't that bad when he's been playing through it recently.

If I remember correctly Goldson possibly had it as well prior to the Old Firm at Ibrox last December and took an injection to play.

Quick get this thread deleted and pretend he's still injured for the mentally challengeds ;)

Come on Borna !

A lethal set piece taker which could prove to be vital

No sign of Davis but then a few others missing from the photos so nothing we can determine from them.

Jones doing sprints as well. I wonder if we will see him on the bench even though he has been out for a long time?

Back