Barry Ferguson on Barisic

tazzabear

I think he’s too good a player to write off but, he’s got to bring Croatia form to the Rangers shirt.
Unfortunately for Rangers, this would have to be immediately next season.
We only have till the end of August to have a decision made and a replacement found as we can’t go through till January with a Flanagan or Halliday as first choice left back.
It's not if he shows up well in pre-season and back in the form that made us sign him in the first place.
If he starts the season well, as in July and August, I’d look to keep.
If he doesn’t start well, I wouldn’t want him kept beyond the window.
We’d need to replace him for the August to December period so why pay for two if you can avoid it.

ShotaShuffle

Id be interested to see what his injury record was like prior to signing. And wether or not this was something we looked into before going ahead with the transfer. Hes got a lovely left peg but for a Croatian he seems soft as shit and picks up injury after injury.

He should be looking at his Captain on the other side of the park and trying to emulate.

Blue Goose

I'm keen to keep BB at the club. He's got the skill to be a standout. His application is the doubt. He needs to step up this season. The pre season training camp in Portugal will define his season going forward imo.

devilman

Barasic is a good player. He absolutely can come good for us - not that he's actually been that bad. However, he does need to settle in again. Would be silly to just dismiss him at this stage.

Vince

The whole physicality of Scottish game thing..... it's a load of nonsense that I think.

loads of players all over the world are gnarly rotten shits who will kick, elbow, pinch and nip a player, who will crunch and batter into a tackle.

It's total pish to say it is a culture change when folks come and play here.
Nonsense. This league is faster and definitely more physical than most. Barisic made that point after his first couple of games himself - when he said Scottish football is less technical than Croatian football and more aggressive. He was not the only player in our team to make the same point last season.

Loads of players make similar points, and your own eyes can see it watching European games. Individual players in those countries being tough has nothing to do with the typical style of play in comparison.

Unicorn

He reminds me of Papac in his first season. He looked too powderpuff for Scottish football despite obviously being a good player. He turned it around so hopefully Barisic can.

RFC4ME

Nonsense. This league is faster and definitely more physical than most. Barisic made that point after his first couple of games himself - when he said Scottish football is less technical than Croatian football and more aggressive. He was not the only player in our team to make the same point last season.

Loads of players make similar points, and your own eyes can see it watching European games. Individual players in those countries being tough has nothing to do with the typical style of play in comparison.

Faster? Your having a laugh.

der_hammer10

Hard to forget how vocal Gerrard was in calling out Barisic in numerous press conferences this year.

I bet he drives Gerrard crazy.

Peter Crouch has spoken about being with Stevie G at Liverpool, and SG would go through players who lacked it physically or mentally in games or training.

Is imagine the frustration would be doubly so with Gerrard as manager as he can’t affect things in the pitch as a player. He’s staking his reputation on players like Barisic, and if tongue aren’t cutting it SG will dump them.

hawkfalcons

SPORTOPINION
Borna Barisic would make Rangers a tidy profit but cashing in now would be wrong - Barry Ferguson
Barisic is the ultimate conundrum at Ibrox but Barry is convinced he can shine in the problem left back area if given another chance.

Anyone tuning in for the Wales game in Croatia last weekend would’ve been impressed with the guy who was doing a marking job on Gareth Bale.
The Real Madrid man took a good throw in at one point but barely got a sniff against the left-back.

If you didn’t know any better you would think the player snuffing out Bale was plying his trade in one of the top leagues in Europe – or if he wasn’t he would be costing someone a serious wedge.
He looked a class act taking on one of the best players in the world but I would bet a fair few folk would have been shocked to discover Borna Barisic can’t get a game for Rangers.
READ MORE

It’s a tough one to get your head around even for those of us who know the situation.
Barisic looked a class act and he’s now a regular starter for an international team that got to the World Cup Final last summer. Yet he ended up the season fourth choice at Rangers.

Steven Gerrard ended up playing right-footed Jon Flanagan instead, or Andy Halliday, who we all know is a midfielder, and even Lee Wallace got in ahead of him for a clash against Aberdeen last month.

It was a hard one to work out because Barisic looked the real deal when he played against Rangers for Osijek in the Europa League qualifiers last year. For whatever reason it didn’t quite happen for him.

(Image: REUTERS)
It’s not like Gerrard didn’t give him the opportunities. Barisic made 24 appearances during the campaign and I know he picked up a couple of niggling injuries but we didn’t see the same player on show last weekend.
He arrived with a lot of promise – and a big price tag after costing more than £2million – but too often he looked off the pace. I’m willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. I’m not writing him off at Rangers.
Don’t get me wrong, if Gerrard does think about cashing in, it won’t do any harm seeing Barisic established as Croatia’s left-back. Rangers will get their dosh back and then some, if someone comes in for him this summer.
You couldn’t buy a Croatia international for £2m and the funny thing is he would cost a heck of a lot more if Rangers were trying to get him now.
But I’d like to see him given another chance. I know from experience it’s not easy for foreign players when they first come to Scotland. Barisic played at a decent level in Croatia but performing each week with Osijek is nothing like the Rangers.
I’ve seen it with my own eyes with players who played for top sides in Europe, had international caps and turned out at
World Cups. They come here maybe thinking it will be straightforward but they get a rude awakening.

(Image: SNS Group)
The pace of the game surprises them but it’s also the size of the club and the pressure that comes with being a Rangers player where you are expected to win every week.

Believe me it’s far from easy and it took a lot of guys a good while to get to grips with everything. When I was captain I’d try to have a word with them and see if I could help settle them down but a lot of the time it has to come from themselves. Sometimes it’s sink or swim in that kind of environment.
That’s why I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss Barisic. He seemed to struggle as the season went on but he has obviously worked away in the background and produced when he’s got the chance with his country.
He parachuted in to the squad during the qualifiers last year but this time around he will have a full pre-season to get up to speed along with the rest of the squad.
It’s not much of a break these days with some of the Rangers players due back in next week but the good thing for him is he won’t be needing too much of a rest as he didn’t have the gruelling campaign others went through.

Getting Barisic back and with a bit of confidence will be like signing a new player for Gerrard. He won’t be the only one as it looks like he’s keen to do his business early with the qualifiers less than a month away.
I don’t think the squad needs a huge overhaul this time but one or two bits of quality that can make the difference over the course of a title race.
There’s still talk of Ryan Kent coming back and that would be a massive boost but if Barisic can continue his international form then Gerrard can at least score out a left-back from his shopping list.
barry is spot on with this article

wilso10

Funny how we always talk about giving players/managers time on here to adjust.

Yet with Barisic, a Croatian internationalist, he's been written off after a season on here.

Vince

Faster? Your having a laugh.
r

Much faster than any league I have seen in Europe. That does not mean every player in Scotland is quicker than Bolt - were talking about a quicker style/tempo of game where players go steaming in and therefore the ball is treated like a hot potato, and generally just booted upfield more because of that. English football is considered quick in European terms, but our games are more hectic than that.

Tell me a league with a quicker style of play?

StuGers

It’s refreshing to see one of our ex-players actually talking up one of our players for once.

AZBlue

That could definitely be a part of it mate, however, there's no doubt that there's a unique pressure at Rangers, from a very demanding support, to not only win every game, but every tackle must be won too.
100% must be given in everything you do.

Many non Scots have come here and struggled with the demands.

Others like Butcher, Robert's, Gascoigne, Laudrup, Albertz, Gio, Numan, Mols etc. embraced it and became Ibrox legends.
Even a few of these guys took time to get up to speed.

RFC4ME

r

Much faster than any league I have seen in Europe. That does not mean every player in Scotland is quicker than Bolt - were talking about a quicker style/tempo of game where players go steaming in and therefore the ball is treated like a hot potato, and generally just booted upfield more because of that. English football is considered quick in European terms, but our games are more hectic than that.

Tell me a league with a quicker style of play?
Christ

baystatebear

As I have said on many Barisic-related threads, the guy's ability is not in question - he is after all a starter for Croatia - one of the world's top international sides. What has always been in doubt for me is his desire to continue playing football in the SPL, where I suspect the overly-physical style might not be to his liking.

Porrohman

Cash in if anyone wants him, has the heart of a mouse and can't play on astro turf so what's the point of this guy, take his pal Grezda with him, total waste of money, it's like Pena & Herrera again

Russell

I would definitely give Borna another chance this season...I think we could regret if we off loaded him so quickly. I think his confidence was shot last year & when confidence is down it makes players look like they have no fight or heart for the battle...especially foreigners.

Give him a chance pre-season & take it from there. For what it’s worth I think SG will do that.

Colinstein69

Barry talks shite 99% of the time. I think I'll trust the management team to do the right thing for the club regarding Barisic.

El Buffalo

I’d give Borna another chance. He’s knows what to expect now and he’ll get a good pre season. He’s definitely a decent enough player, hopefully he’ll be coached into being a 1st team regular.

Alexandria_Queens11

The fact is no one is questioning Barisic’s ability because he’s a player u dont start for the world cup finalists if u do not have something about ye, its just does he really fancy the rough and tumble and the 100mph Scottish game i dont know

Vince

They don’t say “much faster than any league in Europe”
They always mention the speed of the football and the aggression. It’s laughable that you don’t think our game is really hectic in this way.

I said it’s faster and more hectic than any league they say it’s fast - still waiting on you telling me which league has a quicker tempo with less time on the ball .... I’m sure you will tell me soon.