Barry Ferguson thinks we should extend McGregor

Never liked the guy seen with my own eyes his attitude to young bears who would.wait in all sorts of weather after games for his autograph and he would walk right past them an arrogant prick.
Did that to me as a youngster waited in the rain for him with my programme to get told ‘ a can’t sign that it’s too wet ‘

For the club to truly move forward we need to have a clear out. Players have stayed longer than they should have.

They have been legends for the club but we can’t stand on sentiment.

Anyone who doesn’t see the pressing need to sign a new number one keeper is beyond help.

The minute Davis got his injury BF implored the Club to renew his contract.

I conclude BF has no grasp on the financial realities of running a football club

Sounds like Ferguson is thinking of a comeback. If we can get the right goalkeeper it would make a massive difference to our whole defence.

Barry Ferguson has come out and said that McGregor has played solid despite his age this year, and that we should sign him up for another year to focus our available funds on more immediate needs.

Last year this would have horrified me. But part of me thinks he's on to something after seeing how many players turned up missing on Sunday. He's not been our worst player by far, and by the looks of it we will need a to sign a solid centre forward If (more like when) Morelos leaves, and replace a ton of dead weight in midfield.

I know I'm going to get it, but thoughts?
I think McGregor has improved in recent weeks and he kept us in the game against them on Sunday. Is this just a temporary form boost or has there been a change of GK training under Beale?

If, and it’s a big if, McGregor could keep doing what he is doing just now for another year, I wouldn’t be totally against it.

The McLaughlin experiment has to stop though.

For the club to truly move forward we need to have a clear out. Players have stayed longer than they should have.

They have been legends for the club but we can’t stand on sentiment.

Spot on.

Wish the club would stop inviting him to these legends games. Spends his days slating the club, players (the ones he's not pals with) and fans then wants to turn up to these games and lap up the applause from the same people he's slated.

As an ex Rangers player he should be well aware of how the media and Scottish football in general treat Rangers and all associated with it & call it out, but he canny cause he is skint. Now he will happily take cash off anyone willing to give him it & say whatever they ask.

As an ex Rangers player he should be well aware of how the media and Scottish football in general treat Rangers and all associated with it & call it out, but he canny cause he is skint. Now he will happily take cash off anyone willing to give him it & say whatever they ask.
He's always been a major part of the problem right through his playing days thanks to his relationship with Mark Guidi which basically saw him feed a yahoo rat a perpetual stream of info directly from the dressing room.

Also, is he skint? How did he manage that?

Haven’t posted on here since the result but this has tipped me over the edge. It’s incredible to me such an intelligent, gifted footballer can be so fucking stupid.

Ferguson is a complete moron. Fantastic captain and player for us, but his quotes ever since leaving have been nothing but ridiculous.

Imagine being one of the best players of your generation who played for Rangers,adored by legions of fans and becoming a very wealthy man doing so.
Then imagine whoring your name out to the Daily Rhebel to talk shite in your name all for a few quid.

:(

That's the attitude that's dragging Scottish football down

You know if he was on the staff at Rangers, we would be signing over the hill players just because he's mates with them

And Ferguson isn't the only one. They're all at it

I think the majority of us are just hoping this season is the last we'll have to endure of an over the hill Allan McGregor tbh. Excellent servant for the club, but lingered a couple of seasons too long for most.
kinda harsh to say he lingered too long IMO, it was the board who wanted him to stay as the cheapest option. Im sure Greegsy had his doubts but the club asked and he stayed. He cannot be faulted for that.

Looking out for his pal no doubt. McGregor’s been a great servant but I think we’ve seen this season was a bridge too far

If McGregor is given a new contract, we will invest less in a new GK. Mccrorie will be punted, the new GK will be a half hearted signing and McGregor at 42 years of age will take back over the position and well be in the exact same position next year.

Clear out required. That's Allan, you have been truly exceptional, been a decent performer this season but now is the time.

Sign a new GK, McLaughlin & Mccrorie back up.

I'd give Mccrorie more game time than McLaughlin, then release McLaughlin next summer. We need revamped.

Absolutely not

Zander Clark is a superior goalkeeper to McGregor now and could have been brought in for a pittance, there’ll be 100 more this summer

Loved him as a player, for me one of our greatest but seriously what is his problem. Must have a chip in his shoulder or miss the limelight because he talks so much crap!!

We need a new goalkeeper the way to play against the scum is to play total football out from the back not just smashing it long letting them squeeze us we need a goalkeeper who is capable with the ball at his feet not McLaughlin reckless but someone who is capable

We should just bin posting anything about Ferguson on here.

Good return on the park for us but the less said about him since, the better

Any threads that begin with "Barry Ferguson thinks..." or "Derek Ferguson believes..." or similar should lead to a FF banning and public flogging outside the Ibrox gates for the poster starting them.

These two "former Rangers Hero's" are being passed about by various media like a well worn copy of Razzle.
They're either too thick, or too desperate to realise that they are being used as useful idiots for a Rangers soundbite.

And they probably cost Lewis a gig at his boyhood club. Hope the pieces of silver were worth it.

Ultimately money will dictate who is in goals next season.

Signing a new GK of at least the same standard (even the McGregor of now) will be costly whereas renewing AM for a season on the same wage would not incur a fee and may be a lower wage than younger replacements. Next comes investment in other areas of the pitch where arguably we are worse off for costing us points (lack of attacking potency, defensive errors, lazy midfield, injury proneness).

Re-signing AM also has the benefit of continuity, knowing/understanding the club culture, rivalries and standards and other things that can't be quantified.

Looking at it pragmatically I can see more pros than cons for re-signing him, even though he has been almost written off already (including by me).

Any threads that begin with "Barry Ferguson thinks..." or "Derek Ferguson believes..." or similar should lead to a FF banning and public flogging outside the Ibrox gates for the poster starting them.

These two "former Rangers Hero's" are being passed about by various media like a well worn copy of Razzle.
They're either too thick, or too desperate to realise that they are being used as useful idiots for a Rangers soundbite.

And they probably cost Lewis a gig at his boyhood club. Hope the pieces of silver were worth it.
Thick beyond belief

I have no doubt Barry would be serving a very different life if it wasn’t for dick advocaat

Signing a new GK of at least the same standard (even the McGregor of now) will be costly whereas renewing AM for a season on the same wage would not incur a fee and may be a lower wage than younger replacements. Next comes investment in other areas of the pitch where arguably we are worse off for costing us points (lack of attacking potency, defensive errors, lazy midfield, injury proneness).

Re-signing AM also has the benefit of continuity, knowing/understanding the club culture, rivalries and standards and other things that can't be quantified.

Looking at it pragmatically I can see more pros than cons for re-signing him, even though he has been almost written off already (including by me).
Hi Barry

No he isn't :)

I’d love to know by which metric McGregor is better. One has the highest save % in the league and the other has 11 in front of him.

One has a higher clean sheet % despite having 10 worse players in front of him.

Maybe the other redeems himself with his command of the penalty area at set pieces, or with his kicking and distribution. If it’s not that, there’s not much left except staunch points.

No way should McGregor be here the now never my next season and as for some saying keep him on in a coaching role what's he going to coach telling keepers not to catch a ball or come for it. Never come off your line and put your defense constantly under pressure every time a high ball comes into the box.

I was all for defending Barry up till last week but
I have finally come to the conclusion he is a complete idiot. I don't know what that says about me but I am not one for destroying ex Rangers players.

There is not mission we should be extending mcgregors contract. While he is still capable of pulling off a world class save now and again his deficiencies are just getting worse. He’s poor playing out from the back. He doesn’t command his box at set plays and is conceding from shots you would expect him to save comfortably a few years ago

I'd extend Mcgregors contract. Excellent backup keeper who knows more about winning and cares more about our club than anyone else there. One of the best keepers I've ever seen. He would still be amazing around the dressing room and I think theres scope for him being a great coach too. Definitely use him the way he should be at this age but I don't think we're getting near his level even now as a backup keeper somewhere else

I agree. We should be open minded. The decision will be made in the summer when all the options for the squad as a whole will be on the table. Another poster said (perhaps jokingly) that there are better Spanish GK's that would come for free, if that's the case well it would be a no brainer. For now, its too early to call. We really need to give Robby and others a workout till the end of the season, even at the risk of results IMO, but then we're not going to give the manager that luxury. We'll keep playing the old guard to retain pointless points; the league is done!

Back