BBC incredibly negative on Roofe’s goal

It’s like Pavlov’s dogs on here at times. People automatically see the BBC reporting on Rangers and get all wild eyed claiming it’s criticism. They call it a wonder goal FFS. Nothing wrong with them comparing it to other special goals and personally, as wonderful as Roofe’s was, I think Ibrahimovic’s was a “better” goal.

Don’t see much wrong in that article.

Nothing but good exposure for Roofe, Gerrard and Scotland’s premier football club.

Beckham's freekick against Greece ffs :D

The Zlatan one is the only one there you could make an argument that's better.
Amidst the frenzy of Beckham’s goal, completely lost in the midst of times is the salient fact that England relied on results that day to qualify. If I recall correct Germany’s failure to beat Finland was the other part of the equation that sealed England’s progression. The standout performance was that of Anti Niemi, once of our side. Juergen Klinnsman famously said of Anti’s heroics that, “If we had a machine gun and fired it at him, he would have saved every bullet”.

As good as the Zlatan one is, it's a friendly, I highly doubt that would have been scored in a competitive game.

Why can't the BBC just take Gerrard's word for it? It's an odd piece.

It doesn’t bother me too much but the article definitely tries to play down Roofe’s goal. Even wee lines like “competitions admittedly short history”.

Also, picking goals like Beckham’s free kick and Alonso’s goal against Luton that dribbled over the line as the keeper was up attacking a set piece, do me a favour.

If Mr Gerrard says so then it is.

Would not shock me if notorious shagger Alan Mcgregor said Leah Shevlin was the best he’s ever had and the BBC ran a poll to dispute with ex’s lined up for us to vote on.

Contrary to the positive of everyone else:

Standard Liege 0-2 Rangers: Was Roofe's goal really the greatest Gerrard's seen?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54653959

No, I shouldn’t be surprised :mad:

Think your paranoia has kicked in.

The Beeb are simply posing SG the question then follow up by asking us to vote how we all saw the goal. It is like clickbait, gets them hits which is what drives todays internet.

It appears to cast doubt on the manager’s assessment of the goal.They seem to be able to make even a magic goal seem mediocre.Fu*k em won’t take the shine of what was a brilliant result against a very good team.

Doesn't seem like that to me. They seem to be comparing it to some of the most iconic goals of the past.

Also is it not coming from an English source rather than BBC Scotland? For them to be comparing with Beckhams goal - which some down there consider they greatest goal of all time - is not in any way casting doubt on the quality of Roofe's magic.

There was a thread on here last night comparing Roofe's strike to Whittaker's in Lisbon - is that a thread that mocks Roofe's strike or cast doubt on SGs assessment of it?

Think we should all be focusing on and savouring our two fantastic victories instead of looking for anyone out there who might be hurting at our success.

I mean last night the top two threads were the laughing at celtic and kerryfail meltdown threads - I couldn't give a fxxk about how they feel.

Enjoy this mate and fxxk any snide chat from envious side shows.

WATP.

People need to start reading things objectively instead of deciding the world is out to get us before they've even clicked the link.

An article on the national BBC website including a heading 'anatomy of a wondergoal' and some daft stats about massive things that Roofe's goal exceeded is not in any way a negative thing, you f88king mentalists.

Getting the goal compared to some of the most famous goals of the last twenty years or so, in front of an audience who otherwise never hear about Rangers from one year to the next in this way is amazing.

I dont think people on here realise just how little coverage Scottish football gets in England.

I'm surprised they didn't try to claim it was offside. And before anyone tries to quote the Laws of the game, remember to these paedo-protectors (both BBC & CFC), the Laws of the game mean as much as the Laws of common decency i.e absolutely nothing.
I see some Mhanks are trying to claim he mishit it as he was trying a Duffy pass - into Row Z of the stand.

Amidst the frenzy of Beckham’s goal, completely lost in the midst of times is the salient fact that England relied on results that day to qualify. If I recall correct Germany’s failure to beat Finland was the other part of the equation that sealed England’s progression. The standout performance was that of Anti Niemi, once of our side. Juergen Klinnsman famously said of Anti’s heroics that, “If we had a machine gun and fired it at him, he would have saved every bullet”.
How the f**k have we managed to bring germany failing to beat finland into this discussion.

Jesus christ, try and enjoy the f**ken great night it was.

Stop looking for something to moan about, it's getting beyond ridiculous.

It’s certainly not glowing and it’s casting doubt on the manager.
They are cvnts and that’s been polite. It’s not just the scoring of the goal it’s the build up and the way he ran, controlled the ball,shrugged of the opponent’s and then had the vision to shoot from his own half. Absolutely tremendous.
images
:));)

Doesn't seem like that to me. They seem to be comparing it to some of the most iconic goals of the past.

Also is it not coming from an English source rather than BBC Scotland? For them to be comparing with Beckhams goal - which some down there consider they greatest goal of all time - is not in any way casting doubt on the quality of Roofe's magic.

There was a thread on here last night comparing Roofe's strike to Whittaker's in Lisbon - is that a thread that mocks Roofe's strike or cast doubt on SGs assessment of it?

Think we should all be focusing on and savouring our two fantastic victories instead of looking for anyone out there who might be hurting at our success.

I mean last night the top two threads were the laughing at celtic and kerryfail meltdown threads - I couldn't give a fxxk about how they feel.

Enjoy this mate and fxxk any snide chat from envious side shows.

WATP.
I did say in my first post (19) that it was bbc england.I think if it was an English team or player they would be screaming from the rooftops.Reading it they are wondering about Gerrard opinion is right?Surly Mr Gerrard knows what he thinks not some dickhead at the bbc.Oh I’m enjoying it bud simply simply lovely.Your right fu*k them haha utter trash.

The pitch was about 3 foot deep in water, he had to shrug off two tackles before beating a man and scoring from 55 yards. Aye shite right enough bbc. Jesus wept

I’m hardly offended, I just found that article a bit negative.

Possibly because I’m still high as a kite watching it over and over - I just think it deserves better :)

Stevie G could not have been in attendance at Ibrox on 1st January 1955 when Johnny Hubbard waltzed through the C@ltic defence and round the goalkeeper. :)
Ancient Loyal

If you're connected with Rangers it seems you are not allowed to have an opinion......
Michael Stewart ex Scotland midfielder......hahahahahahahahaha

I don't believe that everyone is out to get us but if you can't see the negativity in the existence of that article, never mind the tone or content, then you may want to get out some of your old school jotters and revisit what you learned about English comprehension and interpretation.

If Gerrard had framed his statement as a question, or raised doubt himself, then the article would be justified. He made a clear statement however, so why the need to question it? And if you weren't trying to put a negative spin on it, the word "really" would not be in the question.

It's not anti-Rangers though, in my opinion, more a Little Englander mentality that it couldn't possibly be the best goal he has seen as it didn't involve an EPL team or the England national team.

I don't believe that everyone is out to get us but if you can't see the negativity in the existence of that article, never mind the tone or content, then you may want to get out some of your old school jotters and revisit what you learned about English comprehension and interpretation.

If Gerrard had framed his statement as a question, or raised doubt himself, then the article would be justified. He made a clear statement however, so why the need to question it? And if you weren't trying to put a negative spin on it, the word "really" would not be in the question.

It's not anti-Rangers though, in my opinion, more a Little Englander mentality that it couldn't possibly be the best goal he has seen as it didn't involve an EPL team or the England national team.
The MSM is dying a slow death, who cares. Just enjoy the goal and the win.

It was just an article comparing "great" goals, nothing much to be upset about.

Although do the BBC normally not put a byline on their football articles?

It not being scored for an English top 4 side by some Fancy-Dan Spanish or South American player in their all conquering Premier League or Champions League will have some people talk it down.

A Rangers player scoring that in the “Thursday Cup”? They won’t be having that.

Agreed however, this wasn't written by the rhabid mob at Pacific Quay therefore I am not going to start frothing at the mouth...

Yes I know, I’m a boring old fart, still look at Teletext, and you’ve got from the Republic of Pacific Quay, how Rangers road there luck, little about Roofe’s goal. As for Their beloved team how unlucky they were not to come back, sad **.

Agreed however, this wasn't written by the rhabid mob at Pacific Quay therefore I am not going to start frothing at the mouth...
Enjoy the good stuff, there will be bumps along the way that's football for you.

Roofes goal was an amazing end to the game, but we should always remember that we were going get another first class result in Europe again.

Let's all enjoy the superb progress this team has made after what the club and fans have suffered. Especially as we're doing it without the millions we had to throw about before.

We're getting something in place at this club, whilst living within our means. It was never going to be an easy fix, but there is definitely light at the end of a very long tunnel.

It's an article describing how incredible the goal is with quotes of how good it was from multiple people.

Cant say its negative at all.
The tone of the article suggests they aren't convinced.

The headline questions whether it was superior and with one exception they compare it to goals nowhere near as good. Decent goals but only famous because they were game changers in big games.

Most importantly, if Gerrard says it's the best goal he has seen live then there is nothing to debate. His personal opinion on a subjective matter can't be wrong.

Article posted by anonymous. They know what they are doing.

If you go out your way to be offended you can find negativity in every article.
Classic FF. If someone posts something negative that I disagree with, they are offended by everything and their point isn't valid.

The tone of the article suggests they aren't convinced.

The headline questions whether it was superior and with one exception they compare it to goals nowhere near as good. Decent goals but only famous because they were game changers in big games.

Most importantly, if Gerrard says it's the best goal he has seen live then there is nothing to debate. His personal opinion on a subjective matter can't be wrong.

Article posted by anonymous. They know what they are doing.

Fair enough.

Myself though, I dont see enough to get angry about in that article.

On BBC Breakfast show this morning they led the sports news with it and Mike Bushell was bigging up the Roofe goal big time.
He further upset timothy by saying it was a good night for all the British clubs apart from Celtc, not once but twice.

They'll be more upset at being labeled British than double mentioning their gubbing.

Back