Beale on Wilson.

So if we get beat in the S/C and win nothing next season , we will go into 24/25 with MB.
Get real.
GVB won the S/C and took us to a european final and a hand full of months later he gets the bullet.
If we keep changing managers, we'll go on till f**k knows winning nothing.

Apart from chelsea who were throwing money around, clubs who keep changing managers end up going nowhere.

Man city and Arsenal are proof of keeping managers, especially regarding arteta, who many experts on here told us his time was up.

Not to say much, but our biggest success was with Walter as manager for many years and had to bring him back.

“The main part of the recruitment process in terms of identifying players has already happened. Now it’s about executing those deals.”

Who will execute those deals though?

Beale saying most of the summer recruitment is lined up and wont be messed up by wilson leaving. The optimist will say that is a good thing and the pessimists will say that it will leave us with more players wilson was involved in sourcing.

Im choosing to trust the manager and his judgment in identifying the players. Cantwell and Raskin were an excellent start.
I’m glad we released this ahead of the more partizan press conferences tomorrow. Very clear and can repeat verbatim tomorrow without as much fear of words being twisted to suit the Timmy media narrative.

At face value, it’s a relief re recruitment but I find it hard to believe that our summer ‘revamp’ is confirmed at this early stage with so many variables, negotiations, curve balls etc that can happen between then and now. We will
Need some skilful operators who can react positively as things unfold over the summer.

It does sound as if there is no imminent replacement for Wilson so the processes will
Just continue without a DOF which prob doesn’t matter of there are the solid structures underneath the DOF

If we keep changing managers, we'll go on till f**k knows winning nothing.

Apart from chelsea who were throwing money around, clubs who keep changing managers end up going nowhere.

Man city and Arsenal are proof of keeping managers, especially regarding arteta, who many experts on here told us his time was up.

Not to say much, but our biggest success was with Walter as manager for many years and had to bring him back.
I do agree, but most fans wont.
MB was only away for 12 months, imo he has a head start on GVB or any other manager that would have came in.

There’s folk on here, and I kid you not, who will be calling for his head if we lose the semi final.:eek:
There are also people like me who have always said next season will be the time to judge Beale. Even if he wins the semi final I won’t be getting carried away.

He remains an inexperienced first team manager, who has started very well with us but ultimately is yet to deliver any substantive success and one competitive victory over Celtic in the Semi final won’t change that. Neither will the final game at Ibrox with the league very much done.

I do agree, but most fans wont.
MB was only away for 12 months, imo he has a head start on GVB or any other manager that would have came in.
That's the problem with many fans, especially regarding Rangers these days. They have been brought up on success after success, which basically started in 1986, through till the shit hit the fan.

I've seen different, I was first at Ibrox in 1969 and it was all Celtic, luckily i don't remember them winning the EC.

So I can say that from 1969 till 1986, I only seen Rangers win the league 3 times. The thing is, we had not a bad team back in the late 60's, early 70's, indeed won our only European trophy, but we couldn't get ahead of them.

That's the problem with many fans, especially regarding Rangers these days. They have been brought up on success after success, which basically started in 1986, through till the shit hit the fan.

I've seen different, I was first at Ibrox in 1969 and it was all Celtic, luckily i don't remember them winning the EC.

So I can say that from 1969 till 1986, I only seen Rangers win the league 3 times. The thing is, we had not a bad team back in the late 60's, early 70's, indeed won our only European trophy, but we couldn't get ahead of them.
My first game was in 79, so started when we were going down hill.

1969 till 1986 and only three titles that is an incredible and tragic stat
I started going regularly in 79 as a thirteen year old and endured a good few years of dross and disappointment and really appreciated the success that followed and didn't take it for granted

Beale saying most of the summer recruitment is lined up and wont be messed up by wilson leaving. The optimist will say that is a good thing and the pessimists will say that it will leave us with more players wilson was involved in sourcing.

Im choosing to trust the manager and his judgment in identifying the players. Cantwell and Raskin were an excellent start.
What do we actually need a director of football for? Seems a wage that could be better off spent elsewhere.

I started going regularly in 79 as a thirteen year old and endured a good few years of dross and disappointment and really appreciated the success that followed and didn't take it for granted
That's what made it more enjoyable, but I've never took it as a given. What I will say is, you certainly started going when it was the worst I'd ever seen it. Made 1986 and what followed a great time for us.

What do we actually need a director of football for? Seems a wage that could be better off spent elsewhere.
Because the DoF job encompasses far more than the first team.

Michael Beale is only one of several managers who report to the DoF. Also the DoF should have a background that has significant contract experience allowing him to deal with such as players’ agents many of whom have a legal background. In other industries the DoF would have a job title such as Procurement Director.

The DoF also has responsibility for succession planning to provide early replacements if someone moves on. Nottingham Forest seem to have had that as their DoF was sacked and Wilson was approached basically the same day. Same happened when Souness left, Walter was immediately promoted by Murray.

Whilst my first visit to Ibrox was in the early 60s I only started going to every game when Waddell was appointed Manager in 1969. I think some on here would have struggled to cope with some of the barren years we endured.

Last edited:

Like you I'm hoping that MB has been the main driving force in the player recruitment,

Couldn't face more of RW failures,

I'm sure he will take lot's of his players to Nottingham forest with him!!!!

If we trust who has been brought in since Beale took charge then we need to believe he's got a hand in the matter.

I don't believe Cantwell would be here if Beale wasn't and he's been a positive influence. Raskin was muted for Years and has been a no-brainer.

I'm positive about it.

Like you I'm hoping that MB has been the main driving force in the player recruitment,

Couldn't face more of RW failures,

I'm sure he will take lot's of his players to Nottingham forest with him!!!!

I bet when he takes one or two with him they do 'well'

There's levels to this game. Nottingham Forest > Rangers

I’m glad Wilson has moved on but some of the nonsense you read on here is hilarious.

Beale clearly thinks highly of him but folk can’t concede that maybe Wilson did contribute something positive because then you would be implying that you don’t know the full inner workings of the club & the DoF role.

An even bigger job this summer will be removing the dead wood from the squad. I’d like to know how this will be impacted by Wilson’s leaving.

I keep seeing all this praise for Cantwell. Have I missed something here? Seems to me he is very much unproven at this point, been ok but we need to see far more from him before I start hailing him as a huge success.

Yes, you definitely have...

I'd go into detail & try to educate you, but sometimes there's just no point.

Identifying them and landing them might be completely different things.
Maybe you can argue the elimination of DoF and that being handled instead by Robertson , you would think , will mean a simpler setup as RW would have had to go to SR for funds .

Just guessing this might be the case

When the Southampton statement came in, that Ross Wilson had left to join us, the Southampton fans were all extremely happy, like we are now that he has left us to join Nottingham forest
I Meant to say it was on Twitter, was probably on their forum, at the time also though, not sure

When the Southampton statement came in, that Ross Wilson had left to join us, the Southampton fans were all extremely happy, like we are now that he has left us to join Nottingham forest
I have just gone on one of their forums, and by chance a thread on Ross Wilson exists on the first page. It doesn't have unanimity in regards to him leaving or in criticism, and in five years has merely extended to three pages. It doesn't look as if they were that desperate, although I'm sure he had his critics on a forum right enough.

I have just gone on one of their forums, and by chance a thread on Ross Wilson exists on the first page. It doesn't have unanimity in regards to him leaving or in criticism, and in five years has merely extended to three pages. It doesn't look as if they were that desperate, although I'm sure he had his critics on a forum right enough.
But those that hold views that everyone is useless and should be sacked contend that they represent the views of all the fans.

Beale told RangersTV: "In terms of recruitment and targets Ross and I have been working closely on that. We've got an extensive recruitment team and analysis start that collect the data.

"Meetings have already been had and recruitment and pre-season has very much been finalised. Now, it's just ticking one or two boxes on areas.

"Maybe some players see their futures elsewhere.

“The main part of the recruitment process in terms of identifying players has already happened. Now it’s about executing those deals.”
Media speak has certainly taken over since Rangers signed Colin Stein. I think Davie White said “He is a cracking player”.

He's been here long enough to know that despite the 'numbers' you refer to, he looks a positive addition and would thrive in a good Rangers team.

For a January signing who has taken a while to get match fit and up to speed that is all he can be judged on at the moment.
And 3 assists in 9 games isn't a bad start for a guy finding his feet and building up fitness in a team where lack of goals is a problem across the board, Tavernier excepted.

Because the manager doesn’t have time to organise the scouting system, have a handle on complicated financial and legal matters, handle negotiations and the greedy grasping agents that are out there

Because the DoF job encompasses far more than the first team.

Michael Beale is only one of several managers who report to the DoF. Also the DoF should have a background that has significant contract experience allowing him to deal with such as players’ agents many of whom have a legal background. In other industries the DoF would have a job title such as Procurement Director.

The DoF also has responsibility for succession planning to provide early replacements if someone moves on. Nottingham Forest seem to have had that as their DoF was sacked and Wilson was approached basically the same day. Same happened when Souness left, Walter was immediately promoted by Murray.
Ok, fair enough then dude. Just a question for the layman? Do Celtic have a Director of Football?

Michael Beale being polite and saying only positive things which is more than most would like to say to Ross Wilson.

The targets and strategy will be in place and if anything the departure will only help as Beale may have a greater part to play in proceedings.

As manager, Beale has been involved in 2 players coming in. Pretty sure most of us would agree they're both good players.

Lets hope anyone lined up for this summer has Beales stamp over them and Ross Wilson leaving doesn't hamper any of that.

An even bigger job this summer will be removing the dead wood from the squad. I’d like to know how this will be impacted by Wilson’s leaving.

I keep seeing all this praise for Cantwell. Have I missed something here? Seems to me he is very much unproven at this point, been ok but we need to see far more from him before I start hailing him as a huge success.
My take on it as well. I'm not seeing this cracker loads of others seem to be seeing.
Shows some promise but a long way to go.

Back