Ben Woodburn

He is a striker. Or he isn’t a striker. He is a winger. Or he isn’t a winger.

FFS.

More importantly would he hit the ground running or be our Musonda equivalent? If the latter, we would be better off promoting our own. No guarantees with loaning teenagers.

Ok he’s a striker........who is ALWAYS played out of position :D

In his few first team appearances for Liverpool (League Cup, FA Cup) he's played wide because there's been someone like Origi ahead of him in the queue to play through the middle.

For Liverpool's U19's side that Gerrard managed he played upfront, except in some games where he was shifted wide and Rhian Brewster (who's apparently better than him) played central.

Walter used to sometimes play Naismith, Novo and Kyle Lafferty at left midfield but it didn't make them left midfielders. They were forwards played out of position.

The boy Woodburn is a forward.

Ok he’s a striker........who is ALWAYS played out of position :D

I think we should just settle on that with Amato Turn. A striker who appears to have never played as a striker

As apposed to a winger who is played as a winger.

I think we should just settle on that with Amato Turn. A striker who appears to have never played as a striker

As apposed to a winger who is played as a winger.

Or we could go with the fact he actually is a forward rather than your copy of Fifa18 which has his position as RM. :p

Or we could go with the fact he actually is a forward rather than your copy of Fifa18 which has his position as RM. :p
In the UEFA 19 league Liverpool played 3 formations.

4-2-3-1 Woodburn played AM
3-4-2-1 Woodburn played LF
3-4-1-2 Woodburn played AM

Last edited:
He would play wide or as a second striker for us, he is not going to play the Morelos role where you need to hold the play up and compete physically with the centre backs

A Liverpool supporting friend of mine speaks very highly of Woodburn and thinks he would be an excellent addition to our squad. He also said that he doesn’t think he is good enough to make it near the Liverpool first time and expects him to move on

I stand by my original post - I think it's generally harder for non-Europeans to settle in Britain than Europeans, due to cultural differences, etc.
There will of course be exceptions.
To twist that into me being ignorant or racist is just silly.
Personally, i would stay away from africa and south america for players especially mexico.
Serbia, croatia, hungary plus scandinavia is where i would be looking.

Is your friend jurgen klopp??
No need to be like that, i thought i would get a sarky conment.
He says he s too good.
Now lets be honest with no head in the clouds, who has done it in any team in scotland with a loanee.
They are never settled, stay likely in a hotel, know they are not really quoted at there own team. To me its not a stable enviroment.
So whens harry wilson coming then.

NORWICH have moved ahead of Rangers in the race to sign Liverpool starlet Harry Wilson.

The Welsh winger featured on Steven Gerrard’s list of summer targets but a move has so far failed to materialise.

And the Canaries have now opened talks with Anfield chiefs for the attacker as they look to replace James Maddison’s golden boots.

Wilson, 21, will be with Jurgen Klopp’s side for pre-season games and tours.

But Norwich hope they can convince Anfield bosses to send him to Carrow Road after that as a replacement for ex-Aberdeen loan star Maddison, who has joined Leicester.

Norwich are signing Ben Marshall from Wolves for £1.5million and want Sheffield Wednesday striker Jordan Rhodes on loan.

Wilson has been capped four times for Wales since making his debut in 2013, and has netted once for the Dragons.

After joining the Tigers on loan in January, Wilson chalked up seven goals in 13 Championship games, as well as providing four assists.

Simply put, if we want to be challenging for leagues and cups then a 18 year old won't cut it.

Age is literally irrelevant if the player is good enough. Celtic won the league with 18 year old Kieran Tierney in their team. We won the league with a 40 year old Davie Weir.

How about we start judging players on ability & what they offer us, rather than pointlessly writing someone off because of their age?

Personally, i would stay away from africa and south america for players especially mexico.
Serbia, croatia, hungary plus scandinavia is where i would be looking.
We should be looking at markets where we get the best value for money. Serbia (Sebo, Mladenevic) and Scandinavia (Svensson, Ostenstad) haven't always been kind to us over the years...

We should be looking at markets where we get the best value for money. Serbia (Sebo, Mladenevic) and Scandinavia (Svensson, Ostenstad) haven't always been kind to us over the years...
Things change and its down to the scouts.
That era under mcleish/ le guen werent good for that type of thing.
Could get a bargin and sell on which we now need, and the players from these areas have similar weather, lifestyles etc.
Your also picking out the duds.
We have had duds from every where.
Russia seems untapped?

Ben Woodburn is a full Welsh internationalist at 17 scoring on his debut. He an incredible young talent. Age means %^*& all if he is good enough he is old enough. I watched a 19 year old Barry Ferguson come in to a Rangers team and run Scottish football for 6 years. I've watched a 17 year old Harry Chochrane for Hearts more than hold his own this season. If Woodburn was at a lower end EPL side he be permanent fixtures, but Klopp really has a wealth of talent at gist disposal.

Age is literally irrelevant if the player is good enough. Celtic won the league with 18 year old Kieran Tierney in their team. We won the league with a 40 year old Davie Weir.

How about we start judging players on ability & what they offer us, rather than pointlessly writing someone off because of their age?

Ben Woodburn is not a title winning level of striker we require. He's barely played the game at a professional level. He may well be a decent prospect and go on to have an outstanding career but right now at this very moment he's of little use to us. These type of signings won't cut it.

Ben Woodburn is not a title winning level of striker we require. He's barely played the game at a professional level. He may well be a decent prospect and go on to have an outstanding career but right now at this very moment he's of little use to us. These type of signings won't cut it.

7 full caps for a very good Wales Team.
Dembele caps for France 0
Edouard caps for France 0

Put away the crystal ball Mate.

7 full caps for a very good Wales Team.
Dembele caps for France 0
Edouard caps for France 0

Put away the crystal ball Mate.

Dress it up anyway you like, if you think Woodburn is going come up here and score 20+ goals you're absolutely delusional. He's no where near developed enough to be a title winning striker for us. We already have a youngish, inconsistent striker and another on the way in Sadiq. We do not need anymore, we need the exact opposite in fact.

Dress it up anyway you like, if you think Woodburn is going come up here and score 20+ goals you're absolutely delusional. He's no where near developed enough to be a title winning striker for us. We already have a youngish, inconsistent striker and another on the way in Sadiq. We do not need anymore, we need the exact opposite in fact.

Eduoard came to Scotland having scored only one professional goal on loan with Toulouse. Woodburn had scored for his Nations senior National team . I am not saying his should be the choice striker, but he is certainly someone who would add to the sqaud.

Ben Woodburn is a full Welsh internationalist at 17 scoring on his debut. He an incredible young talent. Age means %^*& all if he is good enough he is old enough. I watched a 19 year old Barry Ferguson come in to a Rangers team and run Scottish football for 6 years. I've watched a 17 year old Harry Chochrane for Hearts more than hold his own this season. If Woodburn was at a lower end EPL side he be permanent fixtures, but Klopp really has a wealth of talent at gist disposal.
Yes, age means nothing compared to 15-20 years ago, countless young players come in and play like they were born to it.

No need to be like that, i thought i would get a sarky conment.
He says he s too good.
Now lets be honest with no head in the clouds, who has done it in any team in scotland with a loanee.
They are never settled, stay likely in a hotel, know they are not really quoted at there own team. To me its not a stable enviroment.
So whens harry wilson coming then.

Was only a joke mate. No offense intended :D

Our European campaign will be key in terms of attracting a better quality of player.
If we are still in Europe when the transfer deadline ends, there is more likelihood that Liverpool and/or other EPL teams may allow their younger/squad players to join us on loan so they can get experience of playing in Europe.

Hang on a minute. Is he a winger ,striker or right back who likes to go forward. Maybe a right half who has lost his way? Make up your minds guys. Is he better than what we have and does he hate celtc with a passion? If the answer to both questions is yes, then sign him.

Woodburn would be a great addition all be it would be a loan 100% no chance we could afford to buy. The boy is poised for big things at Liverpool also their youngest ever goal scorer and very highly thought of. I laugh when people are mentioned because there good in Football Manager I play the game myself and often wonder why Rangers don't just employ me to play it and pluck gems out the game :)
The mhanks done it with Dembele and I heard a rumour they were looking at Fiete Arp from Hamburg another cracking fm player which makes me wonder who over at piggery is playing fm.

This was my summary of woodburn on my first post on the forum

Woodburn- another one of our bright prospects, made the headlines when he became our youngest ever goal scorer and of course scoring that woldie on his wales debut! Everyone expected him to kick on this season and challenge for a place in the team but it’s been a stop start season for him with injuries. Another thing is we don’t know what his best position is yet. He’s played striker through the youth team but he’s way too small to play upfront just now, he’s technically gifted but doesn’t have the pace to play there. Klopp has been getting him to play in centre mid for the u23 and he’s basing his game on how lallana played there last season and tbf to the lad he’s been great when he’s played there for the youth team. Not sure how he’d deal with the physicality if he was to come to Scotland

Just to add a bit more to this post:-

Strength:- like Ejaria, he’s another player who’s great in tight spots and he wriggles away from players very easily, always playing on the half turn and he won’t panic when he’s under pressure from the opposition.

- He’s clinical, very good finisher in front of goal and something rare to see from such a young player.

- He’s very mature for his age, heads and shoulders about the rest whenever he plays for the reserves when it comes to decision making and making the right choices. You can also see that when he’s had his chances in the first team.

Weaknesses:- can he deal with the physicality in Scotland? He’s very small and I’m not sure how he’d deal with the physical side of the game in Scotland.

- Seems to pick up little niggles here and there which is another reason he hasn’t really kicked on this season.

Overall- if rangers are signing him to play either as an attacking mid or as a 2 uptop then I’m sure he’ll do fine, however if he’s being brought to play out wide or upfront then he might struggle with his lack of pace and strength.

This was my summary of woodburn on my first post on the forum

Woodburn- another one of our bright prospects, made the headlines when he became our youngest ever goal scorer and of course scoring that woldie on his wales debut! Everyone expected him to kick on this season and challenge for a place in the team but it’s been a stop start season for him with injuries. Another thing is we don’t know what his best position is yet. He’s played striker through the youth team but he’s way too small to play upfront just now, he’s technically gifted but doesn’t have the pace to play there. Klopp has been getting him to play in centre mid for the u23 and he’s basing his game on how lallana played there last season and tbf to the lad he’s been great when he’s played there for the youth team. Not sure how he’d deal with the physicality if he was to come to Scotland

Just to add a bit more to this post:-

Strength:- like Ejaria, he’s another player who’s great in tight spots and he wriggles away from players very easily, always playing on the half turn and he won’t panic when he’s under pressure from the opposition.

- He’s clinical, very good finisher in front of goal and something rare to see from such a young player.

- He’s very mature for his age, heads and shoulders about the rest whenever he plays for the reserves when it comes to decision making and making the right choices. You can also see that when he’s had his chances in the first team.

Weaknesses:- can he deal with the physicality in Scotland? He’s very small and I’m not sure how he’d deal with the physical side of the game in Scotland.

- Seems to pick up little niggles here and there which is another reason he hasn’t really kicked on this season.

Overall- if rangers are signing him to play either as an attacking mid or as a 2 uptop then I’m sure he’ll do fine, however if he’s being brought to play out wide or upfront then he might struggle with his lack of pace and strength.
Thanks mate good information.

Back