Best Footballer Ever

Its rubbish that i never got to experience maradona or pele "live" as youtube they are a great watch. However, i got to experience watching R9, Zidane, Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and even Henry who deserves a mention.

Its different watching them live, being part of the match and witnessing greatness.

I remember watching Ronaldinho do his latest trick then be out in the garden the next day practicing it.....only to then go to football training and be told to "be more direct". Literally got the enjoyment of football coached out of me.
People only got to see Pele and Maradona play for a few weeks every 4 years. It's important to remember that a lot of the people voting for either of them never saw them play a full match.

Fantastic footballer, hard to believe Brian wisnae even the best
Laudrup.
In the grand scheme of things, he was nowhere near the world top. I think he was named 125 in the world. World-class in Scotland. Injuries and family problems hampered a lot of his career.

If anyone wants to read the truth about Maradona’s career, and not the often romanticised version where he carries teams on his back, then you should read this link.

Anyway the question should forever be ‘who’s the greatest player not called Lionel Messi’, and let people debate that. Messi is the greatest player of all time - it’s not even close.
That page is basically old bloke kryptonite

If George Best was from a ‘WC contender’ and hence a higher profile rather than Our Wee Country of NI, I have absolutely no doubt he’d feature significantly more often in this debate.
Imo George Best is amongst the top 5 that I've seen in my lifetime. He was every bit a football genius as Maradona, Messi, Pele, Di Stefano, Cruyff

Cheating wank.
PsXXjOZ.gif

R9 - had everything and the injuries he came back from are insane. Check out the Iplayer programme on him.

Very subjective question though.

Cmon this should be best ever runner up player in the world, nobody is even near Messi and I'm old enough to have seen Pele and Maradona. Any argument against is only trolling. We can argue all day long on best ever Tennis player, Golfer, Sprinter,, Athlete, Snooker player, Darts etc etc but this one is clear cut as ever any sport can be. ;)

Stats wise at the top level, Messi wins between him and Ronaldo. Really can’t comment on Maradona as I’ve only seen clips and not full matches.

Ronaldo is/was an unbelievable goalscorer/finisher but is that enough to be regarded as the greatest of all time (granted that’s the aim of the game)?

I mean, Messi’s goals and assists record trumps his and he’s someone who gets involved in the general game as a playmaker: as you saw last night where he came deep, had a number of successful dribbles and put a couple of chances on a plate for his teammates.

Ronaldo hasn’t been prolific in doing that in a long, long time. Or when people say he’s the greatest, do they refer to his last couple of seasons as Man Utd where he looked to be the full package?

Stats wise at the top level, Messi wins between him and Ronaldo. Really can’t comment on Maradona as I’ve only seen clips and not full matches.

Ronaldo is/was an unbelievable goalscorer/finisher but is that enough to be regarded as the greatest of all time (granted that’s the aim of the game)?

I mean, Messi’s goals and assists record trumps his and he’s someone who gets involved in the general game as a playmaker: as you saw last night where he came deep, had a number of successful dribbles and put a couple of chances on a plate for his teammates.

Ronaldo hasn’t been prolific in doing that in a long, long time. Or when people say he’s the greatest, do they refer to his last couple of seasons as Man Utd where he looked to be the full package?

Ridiculous.

The teenagers saying messi & cr7 will have changed to Mbappe in a couple of years. Its what youngsters do. Its clearly Maradona, Pele or The real Ronaldo

It’s Maradona and it always will be, what he achieved in Naples and with his country in 86 is unparalleled.

Messi is as close to him as you can get, but can anyone really think he would be thrive in the ultra defensive, brutal, hatchet man era of Serie a? Defenders were allowed ‘red card’ challenges in each game before a yellow would be shown, flair players were spat on, had their hair pulled, smacked off the ball etc.

Flipping the scenarios, would peak fitness Maradona have thrived under a Pep type coach, with protection from referees? Playing with Ronaldinho, Neymar or Henry, feeding off passes from Xavi and Iniesta?

My money is on Maradona every single day of the year.

Maradona , closely followed by R9 you never get tired of watching their old videos

Ronaldhino was probably the best entertainer , he was another level

Without doubt, it's Maradona. He had everything in his locker. Just an incredible player. Got absolutely kicked all over the pitch, got up, and started again. The GOAT imo.

It’s Maradona and it always will be, what he achieved in Naples and with his country in 86 is unparalleled.

Messi is as close to him as you can get, but can anyone really think he would be thrive in the ultra defensive, brutal, hatchet man era of Serie a? Defenders were allowed ‘red card’ challenges in each game before a yellow would be shown, flair players were spat on, had their hair pulled, smacked off the ball etc.

Flipping the scenarios, would peak fitness Maradona have thrived under a Pep type coach, with protection from referees? Playing with Ronaldinho, Neymar or Henry, feeding off passes from Xavi and Iniesta?

My money is on Maradona every single day of the year.
The ultimate fitba da post

Pre Maradona I never really saw any other player other than the odd clip of brilliance. Even with Maradona I think we only ever really saw him in World Cups and again the odd highlight of an incredible piece of skill.

However, with more live games being shown now from around the globe and clips all over youtube I'd have to opt for one of Ronaldo (orig), Ronaldinho, Messi or Ronaldo (CR7). From those it would probably need to be one of the latter two who have been so consistent over the past decade (or more) and personally Messi who looks the more elegant skilful player.

Genuine question here...

Can anyone explain why Maradona failed in Spain at Sevilla and Barca?

Will be slightly different.

Ronaldinho for me, the things he done with a ball was mind blowing at the time, and he always done it with a smile.

I'm old enough to remember such as Eusabio, Dragoslav Secularac, Ghento, Puskas, Di Stefano etc. I have to say that Lionel Messi is streets ahead of them and all other suggestions since those players and I include Maradonna in that. George Best, Bobby Moore and Denis Law were among the best UK players.

The teenagers saying messi & cr7 will have changed to Mbappe in a couple of years. Its what youngsters do. Its clearly Maradona, Pele or The real Ronaldo
I’m closer to 40 than 30. Not exactly a youngster and I’d go for Messi. And I don’t need stats or anything either, based player on watching that player with my eyes in hundreds of games I can comfortably say he’s the best I’ve seen.

Apologies for diverting the question, but what do folk reckon out of all our players over the years, was closest to the GOAT’s?

Must be Cannigia?

Maradona all the way for me. Could you make this a poll as it would be pretty interesting to see the results.

Always find it weird why Peyroteo is never mentioned in these arguments ,not sure about the best , but got to be the most under rated player ever

For me it’s Messi closely followed by Ronaldo, but could understand a case being made for Ronaldo ahead of Messi.

The levels that those two have maintained all through their career, playing at the absolute top level of football has never been done before.

That’s not even looking at the records that they have broken.

Messi, he can do things with a ball that I’ve only seen a couple of others do but has done it for nearly 20 years.

Love watching him run with the ball and beating players but his vision in passing and finishing is also second to none.

Messi is the greatest player of all time, due to being full on amazing for near enough two full decades lol.

But both at the peak, both on their day...Maradona was the better player. But Maradona didn't do it anywhere near as often.

Back