Best goal you've seen live

Most of the ones I’d pick have already been said, so I’ll pick a bit of a forgotten gem.

Lee McCulloch v Aberdeen at Ibrox. Big punt up the park, Jig and Cousin play head tennis then Jig leathers it in the top corner from 35 yards. An absolute screamer that is often forgotten.

Found it - (terrible resolution)

Could well have been - must have been around 1993?
Scored at the Broomloan end.

Being able to go tongue reserves at ai rod on a Saturday when the first team was away was a great opportunity to see some of the youngsters at Rangers and other teams.

There was a Rangers v Hibs match around that time where Miller and Kevin Harper were playing and were great. You saw youngsters trying things that you just wouldn’t see in the first team, playing with a bit of naivety at times maybe but really entertaining for it.

That's dedication and quite staunch to be fair :p

Thern's volley against the beasts or Albertz's mazy and thumping finish at the Beggardome... can't really separate them.

Another vote for Coop’s free kick v Aberdeen in the league cup final. I had the worst hangover in the history of hangovers and that goal went a long way towards clearing the cobwebs!

A special mention for Aribo v Braga…..superb individual goal that changed the game!

Was going to mention Defoe v Livi but remember now that it was a COVID goal in an empty stadium……crying shame!

To pick one a bit less obvious, I’ll go with Kris Boyd v Thistle at Firhill in the cup. Lashed a volley from an almost impossible angle, not dissimilar to Van Basten at Euro 88. Like a Poundland Van Basten to be clear, but a great goal nonetheless.

EDIT: Just YouTubed it…also with his weaker left foot.

Cooper and jardine goals v Celtic in drybourgh cup final
Roberts goal v Motherwell January 87
Greig goal in 1973 in CWC v Turkish team 30 yards
I know it was more than one

Has to be Gazza against the mhanky mob at Ibrox after they hit the bar and he ran the full length of the park to head it. My first OF game and even better that my seat was in the front row of the Copland and seem it all the way. No bad for a fat guy he was !!

Thunderbastards would be Barrie McKay in the semi against the papes or Denny Landzaat for Wigan against Arsenal at the Emirates in 2006.

Team goal is a hard one because I went to a lot of games when Warburton came in and some of the football we were putting together - albeit at a lower level - was sensational.

Coops free kick v Aberdeen takes some beating. I still think Jim Leighton is trying to stop it 40 years later, however I will also argue Bobby Russell juggling the ball around Hearts defenders and volleying into the top corner at Ibrox was special.

To pick one a bit less obvious, I’ll go with Kris Boyd v Thistle at Firhill in the cup. Lashed a volley from an almost impossible angle, not dissimilar to Van Basten at Euro 88. Like a Poundland Van Basten to be clear, but a great goal nonetheless.

EDIT: Just YouTubed it…also with his weaker left foot.

Similair technique this goal against the enemy

Gascoigne dribble v Sheep for 2nd goal for 8 in a row, remember that was a tense finale!

Also Kanchelskis outrageous volley at East End Park, what a hit!!

So many though. Anything against them is a beauty, even Mo Edu’s 10cm tap in!!!

Kenny Miller is the only opposition player I have seen applauded for a goal against us. Scored a ridiculous goal for hibs at Ibrox when he was young.

Another for Coop's free kick v the sheep.
Also Wilson Robertson for Caley (before merger) in a qualifying cup final against Rothes at Elgin. Mazy run beating 3 guys then cool finish.
My dad finally scoring against George Niven(I beat him to it ;) ).
Ball never touched the ground, keeper kick out, headed down then a volley from 25yds.

Thern against the filth has to be up there, would plump for Albertz at the Piggery though.

I almost witnessed one of the goals of the century, was comped hospitality for Newcastle v Arsenal, the day Bergkamp scored his wonder goal, I took unwell and couldn't feckin go.

Back