Best keeper

Weve been blessed with great keepers in my time watching Rangers, Woods Goram & Klos were amazing! Nicky Walker was in goal in the first game i ever went to, i thought he was decent.
Lindsay Hamilton Colin Scott
Bonni Ginzburg and Ally Maxwell and Theo Snelders had the luxury of being able to pick the ball up :cool:

I always thought Klos was an excellent shot stopped but didn't really come for cross balls in the box.

Woods and Goram scared the shite out of their back four as well as the strikers.

McGregor is also very vocal and dominates the 18 yard box. Not feart to get in amongst it either if need be.

Watterus came in and looked like he'd been here for years tbh. Excellent distribution with both feet.

I always thought there was a load of myth around the Klos at cross thing

He predominantly played with Moore and Amoruse in front of him, both of whom were dominant in the air.

The majority of time Klos was on his line though logic and reasoning rather than just hurling himself at things for the sake of it.

Klos was safe, sound backed it with execution rather than posturing and giving the appearance of someone doing something.

You would struggle to get into double figures if you added up together Goram, Klos and Wood's mistakes over their Rangers careers. McGregor makes at least 4 or 5 a season. He was the same last season and I still think he had a very good season overall.

He is nowhere near as good as the other three, nowhere near it. He is a very good goalkeeper though.

these things are always subjective due to people's ages but I doubt there will be three better goalkeepers to ever ply their trade in this country that are as good as Goram, Klos or Woods. They were simply magnificently consistent and that's what you want from a goalkeeper. It's not about the saves they make (all goalkeepers are shot stoppers) it's about the mistakes they don't make, especially at Rangers

You would struggle to get into double figures if you added up together Goram, Klos and Wood's mistakes over their Rangers careers. McGregor makes at least 4 or 5 a season. He was the same last season and I still think he had a very good season overall.

He is nowhere near as good as the other three, nowhere near it. He is a very good goalkeeper though.

these things are always subjective due to people's ages but I doubt there will be three better goalkeepers to ever ply their trade in this country that are as good as Goram, Klos or Woods. They were simply magnificently consistent and that's what you want from a goalkeeper. It's not about the saves they make (all goalkeepers are shot stoppers) it's about the mistakes they don't make, especially at Rangers

Agree with most of this.

There are things I can take as views and opinions etc then I read someone say McGregor and Klos is close and I just am of the view of "naw" and that's about all that is needed.

McGregor might win it for the best individual save that i have seen one of our keepers make with his effort away to Werder Bremen. Just watched it there again and I still don't know how he kept that out.

Gorams against Van Hooijdonk is an obvious standout.

McGregor might win it for the best individual save that i have seen one of our keepers make with his effort away to Werder Bremen. Just watched it there again and I still don't know how he kept that out.

Gorams against Van Hooijdonk is an obvious standout.

Klos save against Hearts at Tynecastle was unreal.

I always thought Klos was an excellent shot stopped but didn't really come for cross balls in the box.

Woods and Goram scared the shite out of their back four as well as the strikers.

McGregor is also very vocal and dominates the 18 yard box. Not feart to get in amongst it either if need be.

Watterus came in and looked like he'd been here for years tbh. Excellent distribution with both feet.

He predominantly played with Moore and Amoruse in front of him, both of whom were dominant in the air.

The majority of time Klos was on his line though logic and reasoning rather than just hurling himself at things for the sake of it.

Klos was safe, sound backed it with execution rather than posturing and giving the appearance of someone doing something.
If a keeper doesn't come for crosses it shouldn't be a problem for the defence. They then know they are in charge and they need to deal with it. The problems start when a keeper is inconsistent in what he does and doesn't come for.

Woods pre labyrinthitis was the best of the lot at crosses. Goram and Klos left most for their defence to deal with.

Who was the best keeper we had during the 90s to present day
Mines would be the following be honest
In order
Klos
Goram
Woods
McGregor

Although we have others such as solid keepers like
Snealders who used to play for mutten men
Fod
Billy Kirkwood
Ally Maxwell
Alexander
Watteraus

But who was your fav
Billy Kirkwood was a midfielder.

At a time in the early 90’s it would be justifiable to say Goram was probably the best keeper in Britain. There wasn’t another goalie in world football at the time I would have preferred to have in our side.

There is no debate in my mind Goram is the best keeper in Rangers history by a long way.

I’m only in my twenties so to me Allan Mcgregor was my hero hence the profile photo, but even shagger like Klos is absolutely nowhere near Andy Goram that guy pulled off saves that looked impossible

Woods and goram for me. Woods undoubtedly technical brilliance he was the epitome of keepers to me. Goram more on the instinctive abilities a man built like that shouldn't be able to throw himself around the goals like that. Andy goram defied physics at times.

Woods, Kloss, and McGregor all excellent keepers for Rangers and very little to separate them but, Goram was "Simply The Best" by a mile.

Goram. The goalie was a cut above any other. The man had no right to save some of the attempts thrown at him. He was simply phenomenal and will be remembered as one of the best, and not just for Rangers.

Woods kicked off a series of great keepers,Goram the best for me but Woods and Klos weren't to shabby or too far behind.

I’m normally happy for people to have their own opinion, but this isn’t even a question! Anyone who saw them play would rate Goram above Klos if they know anything about football.

After that it’s all about opinions, and I’d rate Woods second with Klos a poor 3rd. I never really took to Klos, having something like 22 consecutive OF matches without keeping a clean sheet probably had something to do with it.

It's the same as the distribution myth, he had a defence and midfield that were always available for the ball. We played out from the back because we could not because he was as poor as the myth suggests.

Goram
Klos
Woods
McGregor

Goram comfortably the best, then not much between Woods and Klos.
McGregor a fair bit behind the three IMO , but that is no disgrace .

It's the same as the distribution myth, he had a defence and midfield that were always available for the ball. We played out from the back because we could not because he was as poor as the myth suggests.

Correct, we were a team who played from the back in Klos’s time. We had technically able defenders and would have achieved nothing by launching long balls up to Mols and Wallace against SPL hammer throwers .

That said Klos’s kicking , whilst never the best , never recovered after he played away to Galatasaray whilst injured due to Charbonnier being in a huff and the only alternative being an 18 year old Mark Brown.

What this man and almost every other poster has said;but Goram was mentioned by the late Tommy Burns as `his name will be on my headstone`(irrc) the season they lost only four games but won f*ck all as Rangers were the team to beat them on four occasions!
It`s Goram then the others;good as they were.

Goram at his peak is very possibly the best goalkeeper to ever play for us, and to play in Scotland.

We won a treble and nearly got to the Champions League final with a team full of legends. But that season, despite us scoring barrowloads, he was our top man.

Such a shame the way Klos' career with us came to an end. Any game he played in after his injury he was done. I think we even had our CB's taking the goal kicks.

Unbelievable keeper for us.

Back