Best players to play at Ibrox

BunkMoreland

Official Ticketer
If you compile a best 11 of opponents to play at Ibrox in a competitive fixture who would you choose?

Here is my effort

GK - Buffon
DR - Zanetti
DC - Ferdinand
DC - Frank de Boer
DL- Thuram
MR - Ronaldinho
CM - Xavi
CM - Mendieta
ML - Hagi
FW - Del Piero
FW - Messi

I’ll base it on players I’ve actually seen myself in the flesh -

Valdez
Zanetti
Lizarazu
Thuram
Kuznetzov

Mendieta
Riquelme
Prosinecki

Littbarski
Messi
Kily Gonzalez

I’ve included Kily Gonzalez as I’ve never seen a team tear us apart in the first half of any game the way Valencia did at Ibrox , and we were a right good team . Mendieta and Gonzalez simply were on another level . One of the cleverest players I’ve ever seen in the flesh . I nearly shoehorned Claudio Lopez in as well because of that game .

Last edited:
Gullit,brady,rumminigger,rasily rats,the big german centre half who scored a 25 yarder platini any of the liverpool team who played at the opening of the govan stand..

If its just best players then I've seen Messi, Ronaldinho and Hagi, all world class generation defining talents. I'd prefer to list best performances than best players.

Best midfield performances, Veron, Riquelme, Mendieta

Probably not one of the best, but based on one off performance at Ibrox Torricelli was awesome the night Juve beat us in 95.

Thurman after Parma went to 10 men put in the best defensive display I've ever watched.
Wasn't for him we score 3/4 in that game.
if it wasnt for the missed sitters at the end of the game it wouldve been 3 or 4, wallace missed a rebound from an albertz cracker, gio skied one when easier to hit the target and another which i cant remember just now.

Benzema against us for Lyon that night was unplayable

As soon as I saw this thread, Benzema was the first player I thought of too. He was only 20 or 21 and was incredible that night.

I rarely see him quoted as being one of the best strikers in the world but going on to cement himself as first pick centre forward for Real Madrid for a decade means he really should be up there with Aguero, Lewandowski, Kane, Suarez, etc.

Riquelme is always the first name that comes to mind when threads like these appear. He was absolutely outstanding the night we played Villarreal at Ibrox.

Definitely for me, I remember standing in complete awe as he just dominated the game. It was like he had a 3 foot forcefield round him l, no one could get near him

Dino Zoff, Sepp Maier, Laurie Cunningham, Iribar, Maldini,Iniesta,Gerd Muller
My favourite player when I was a boy was Eusebio, I don't think he has ever played at Ibrox.

Surprised Beckham hasn't been mentioned.

Edit: apologies, didn't see the 'competitive' part!

Couldn’t form a XI or even put them in a definitive order but I’ve had the privilege of watching some of the true greats at Ibrox.

Cruyff, Neeskens, Beckenbauer, Brietner, Gerd Muller, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Kempes, Bonhof, Rummenigge, Gullit to name a few.

Back