Bjorklund

Zizou

I’ve been watching few old games on YouTube during this isolation and was wondering what people’s thoughts were on him?Bit before my time so can’t really remember but looks good in the old videos

He was very fast but if coming out with the ball he usually fell over it,not that good in the air as well but very good at tackling

We were spoiled in the late 80s and the 90s with a succession of superb centre halves, including Butcher and Gough. Bjorkland wasn't remotely close to their quality. He was decent but not much more than that. Even someone like Alan McLaren was a cracking defender back at that time - under rated and a better player than Bjorkland IMHO.

Was fast and great in the tackle. Rabbit in the headlights with the ball at his feet and I think only scored one goal in his career (after he left us) but overall I always liked seeing his name on the team sheet for what he brought defensively.

I’m sure he cost us points with a crazy back pass to Goram when we were going for 10. Think it was Dundee Utd.

Goram sold the jerseys at Tannadice when he tried to take the ball round Robbie Winters and Winters dispossessed him and scored.

If I was the opposition manager, first thing I would say is give him the ball. Very quick, good defender, not a great footballer.

His pace was a great asset, and pretty rare in a centre half back then. He was always pretty reliable imo.

Absolutely useless in the opposition box. Don't think he scored a career goal till he'd left us!

Mind he went on a mad run at the piggery, half the length of the pitch, into the box, lined up the shot and you're just waiting on it hitting the net and utter pandemonium.

Then he sclaffs it wide lol

Good player,
International class, playing at world cups and euros with a barrowload of caps for Sweden.
Modern athlete. He crossed the half-way once.

Would be worth >£10m these days. Don't compare him to Gough or Butcher though, that's just unfair.

WATP

Good player,
International class, playing at world cups and euros with a barrowload of caps for Sweden.
Modern athlete. He crossed the half-way once.

Would be worth >£10m these days. Don't compare him to Gough or Butcher though, that's just unfair.

WATP

Probably unfair to compare any of our central defenders to those 2 mate.

Souness said Butcher was the best in the world when he signed for us and Gough wasn't far behind at his peak either.

If in doubt put it out overall a good very fast defender. I thought it was at Motherwell and THE GOALIES fault for being to far out .

Very fast. Which was his greatest asset. Seemed a quiet guy, who for a Swedish international wasn't the best with the ball to say the least, but done us a turn at the time.

He was a very good man marker who had played in a 4-4-2 all of his career before we signed him to play in a three and asked him to bring the ball out of defence.

Absolutely brilliant to have as a last man when pushing forward. I remember him scoring his first ever professional goal, for Valencia, a while after he left us. There were wild celebrations amongst his teammates, it turned out to be his only goal of his whole career.

Poor at heading the ball went on to play fullback for a spainish club for many years.

I just remember him as being a fairly solid defender.
I never put him on as first goal scorer :)

I don't think he even went up for corners.
I'm sure he was the guy that stood on the half way line.

I liked him - a defender and that was it - he had no interest in roaming forward... which was interesting in a back 3 that were supposed to bring the ball out a bit. He would invariably get towards the centre circle and look to square the ball off to someone.
Quick and solid in the tackle, his limitation for me was that positionally he could get a bit lost at times and followed the ball or man, which left gaps.

Overall he was a decent player for Rangers but a few bloopers in 97/98 season blot a much better season previously.

He was rapid and never scored a goal in his career I don't think.

One game against the mentally challengeds he went on a run with his pace that took him deep into their half and you could see he was uncomfortable and couldn't get rid ball quick enough

I liked him, just quietly went about his business. First autograph I ever got from a Rangers player.

Never forget my first game at Ibrox as a wee lad, pulled his name out the hat for the first scorer sweepy on the bus down. Think he scored 1 goal in his whole career!

I thought this was about a new Scandinavian Detective drama on Netflix. Rogue cop but always gets the results

He was a very good defender, unlike his Norwegian pal Stale Stensaas, but Bjorklund had a bit of grit about him too that i liked. Did he not play at Valencia for a few seasons after us.

He was an excellent man on man defender, he was lightning quick so he gave us insurance against teams hitting us on the break, especially in Scotland.

On the other hand, he did not want the ball, and for good reason. He was not a skillful footballer.

Back