Borna Barisic

His positioning meant that we had balance in the team. If you were lining up against Rangers in the last 4 years it would simply be, stop Tav, stop Rangers. Borna meant that wasn’t the case. It also gave far more option to our midfielders (see thread on Davis) and pulled their back 9 all over the place.

everyone knew there was a player in there mate. we just didn't know if we would see that player in Scotland
I think "everyone" is a big stretch given some of the abuse directed at him.
Tbh I'm the eternal optimist I got a roasting for saying we would see the best of Borna, and for saying Kent woukd sign at 23:59 on deadline day :))

He seemed to be finding acres of space today and was getting forward at every opportunity to good effect.
Perfect cross for Morelos, looked every inch the Croatian international today as he did against Feyenoord.

That cross today was the epitome of what we thought we were getting when we signed him. He is really pushing on and starting to prove people wrong.

Borna Borna %^*& the mentally challengeds.

I said when we signed him that a blind man could see he was a footballer.
Yes, he has taken a bit more time to settle than most, but he was certainly bedevilled by injuries last season and often they can niggle away at a players confidence and one can just follow into another.
Frustrating for the player the manager and the support.
However, we are now seeing the player that we signed.

Very happy with BB today. It's great to have two proper natural footed WB's with great technique.

I was a big critic of his, and wrote him off. Glad to be proved wrong. He's been solid as of late. Hopefully he keeps it up and rams my criticism down my throat.

His positioning meant that we had balance in the team. If you were lining up against Rangers in the last 4 years it would simply be, stop Tav, stop Rangers. Borna meant that wasn’t the case. It also gave far more option to our midfielders (see thread on Davis) and pulled their back 9 all over the place.

We didnt use Borna enough today. That left foot is a cannon.

He was never a bad player, the fault really lies within our support and a severe lack of patience.
You don't play for Croatia if you're a dud, it's that simple

Its not entirely true anyway, I can think of one prominent posters who more or less defended him to the hilt from start to finish (I think he still has a Peña avatar).

Some (including myself) stuck up for him when people were laying into him early doors over “unsubstantiated stories” that he’d been spotted drinking. I think sticking up for a player who is being abused before there’s any confirmation or proof of guilty is perfectly fine mind. But lord knows FF loves a good feeding frenzy, Barisic himself is a perfect example, abused and shat upon in games where he didn’t really do an awful lot wrong. But once people get a test for a certain player’s blood they can’t seem to relent.

So do you think those posters (including yourself) were wrong about Pena?

So do you think those posters (including yourself) were wrong about Pena?

He should have been playing ahead of the likes of Holt. Was always a goal threat and the guys we had ahead of him were absolutely impotent at the best of times.

Unless you mean his antics? In which case I’ll say it again, no player should be abused on the basis of second hand stories.

I was excited when we signed him as he was relentless and headbandaged against us and I expected big things. TBH I had lost hope over the last year due to the tepid performances but I'm SO happy he has had such a good run of games. He always had the technical ability but now he is delivering technique with commitment, confidence and is performing consistently every game. It looks like we are going to get the cheap but quality Croatian international left back after all. Love it!!

He should have been playing ahead of the likes of Holt. Was always a goal threat and the guys we had ahead of him were absolutely impotent at the best of times.

Unless you mean his antics? In which case I’ll say it again, no player should be abused on the basis of second hand stories.

Aye ok mate, each to their own so I think we’ll leave it at that.

Don’t want to derail what will hopefully continue to be a positive BB thread.

Very pleasing. Looks a lot more robust and willing to get forward. Peach of a cross yesterday. Hopefully this is his normal level now.

Back