Boro fan arrested for leaving 11yo son in hotel to go drinking after fa cup win

I once worked with a woman whos husband, a carpenter, was an uber fanatical Sunderland fan...She said the last straw was when he cancelled a dinner she had arranged because of a big job he was involved in...Later that evening she happened to be watching MOTD showing Sunderland highlights and noticed a familiar face jumping around after they scored.

They divorced, she ended up marrying a doctor and is very happy, Sunderland still languish in Division One. B-D

I was home at 11 getting the coal fire on and often making myself something to eat. However I wouldn’t be letting my 11 year old stay ina hotel room on his own at 11.

I went to NY with my two when they were 16 and 15 and had to leave them in the room as I wanted to surprise them with tickets for a show and had to get them from a ticket shop about 100 yards away and I was shitting myself until I got back.

Just remembered my old work mate posted on Facebook from the game and he was there with his boy who is 11/12 :confused::confused:

Last edited:
Not a problem is it? Unless the kid’s been totally mollycoddled.

At that age I used to go from Larkhall to Hamilton on the bus by myself, go round all the shops, get my lunch, go to the amusements and then get the bus home.

I wonder who contacted the police, if it was hotel staff you would be mad.

wee poof has probably phoned his Mum and grassed up his Dad, I think the Dad being lifted is the least of his worries, he's going to be in the Dog house for a while

It was the done thing when I was youth if you were on Holiday you'd get put to bed and your parents would go out for the night

I'd imagine whats happened is the Mum has phoned to see how things were and the wee laddie has dropped his old boy in it by saying he's away out on the lash

I was reading up on the legalities of this a while back, and it's basically at your discretion when you think your child is safe, and is old enough.

It's at your discretion but within reason. I came away thinking the law seems to say under tens is too far, but that's was basically a guess because there no minimum age in the law, it's vaigue.

Personally I think it depends on the length of time , and the specific 11 year old in this situation. Some 11 year olds are very competent, have a phone, can use it, would have their bearings in the hotel, be comfortable with the door key.

I would leave my eleven year old in a hotel room of they were comfortable, but only for an hour or two at the most, but not a night out for hours and hours. Plus even when you get back the kid might not be properly cared for if you are pissed.

I bet his mates called it in.

Was babysitting my brother over weekends by that age :))

A hotel is different I suppose, unknown place etc.

I’m 35 , and I’m sure it was pretty normal to be left in at 11, same as hanging around the streets from around 5 years old , but none of it happens these days , times seems to have changed , I’d never let my 5 year old out my sight
It was mate. I was discussing this last night with Mrs. I'm 43 and when I went to the game with my old boy I was left outside the pub in all weather's. Like everyone else my age that went to games this was the norm from a much younger age than 11. Can of coke and packet of cheese and onion left out there for hours every week. I said to the Mrs I didn't think it was that bad. Warm hotel , perfectly safe not as if he left him wondering the streets of Manchester.

Last edited:
The kid probably got scared in a strange environment. I think if the dad was downstairs in the hotel bar it would have been ok. Saying that, nowadays people are scared to give their kids any responsibility. One of my neighbours walks her p7 wean to the bus stop 100 metres from her house to make sure she gets on the school bus. I can mind as a kid my sister taking me to the swimming, she was 11 and I was 8. Nothing happened to us.

I’m 31, but used to get the bus home from School myself and let myself into the house a few days a week at least at age 11.

That being said, I think times have changed.

So was I.

But leaving child in a hotel room a place you have no control over the safety or well-being to go bevvying is different.

Prioritising getting smashed over your kid

My Old Boy wouldn't have even sprung for a Hotel Room, like others have said I'd have been sitting outside the pub until it was time for the bus home

It's against the law so obviously he is in the wrong.

Those saying they used to do this that and the next thing when they were 11, would you go and have a few pints then drive up the road? Cos that used to happen 30 years ago too.

As many have said does not seem that bad. Don’t know why he did t just take him with him or go to hotel bar get a few and back to room.

At 11 I had been in many a pubs without my da. 11 is hardly a wean but suppose the da shouldn’t have gone for hours.

He’s 11 FFS I was getting a bus home and letting myself in the house a couple of hours before my parents got home from work by that age.
It was 1st year I was doing that, so I'd have been 12. As ever with things like this the devil will be in the detail. He's not exactly done a Kate and Gerry and it looks like some busy body has got wind and interfered, OR the boy genuinely was upset at being left alone and made contact with someone.

Obviously, his booze addled brain has made this decision for him and bit him on the arse.

Idiot.

Folk saying otherwise doing it to look edgy
It's obviously not the smartest thing to do as you just never know what could happen. On the other hand it's very common and always has been, I was getting left in the house or out playing when I was 7 or 8 while my mum and step dad were away to the shop. I did start to get a bit anxious the longer they took mind you, that feeling of "oh shit I'm alone, what if they've ran away". Had no mobile phones back then though.

Last edited:
It was 1st year I was doing that, so I'd have been 12. As ever with things like this the devil will be in the detail. He's not exactly done a Kate and Gerry and it looks like some busy body has got wind and interfered, OR the boy genuinely was upset at being left alone and made contact with someone.

Obviously, his booze addled brain has made this decision for him and bit him on the arse.
Yip. Thing is, if people saw an 11 year old out playing on his own they wouldn't say a word about it. But leaving him in on his own seems to be looked at differently.... Surely its safer indoors than out on the Streets..

Standing outside the pub before the subway was standard for me haha didn’t do me any harm
Would regularly be left outside the red lion, then the bookies and finally the festival bar as a youngster. By the time I was 7/8 I would just go up to the ground rather than stand outside the pub.

He’s 11 FFS I was getting a bus home and letting myself in the house a couple of hours before my parents got home from work by that age.
As was I however there weren’t the same amount of sickos and peodophiles etc lurking around as there are these days. I wouldn’t let my kids do it now until they are at least 15. Different times.

Back