Boro fan arrested for leaving 11yo son in hotel to go drinking after fa cup win

I have a wee lad that age. He is first year at school now, I know everyone child is different but from being away in hotels before I know that if he was offered some snacks good wifi for his phone and a TV he would certainly not have objected to be being left in that situation. I'm not saying I would definitely have done it but if my team had just put utd out of the cup at Old Trafford and all my mates were there and up for afew beers I would have been tempted. Just being honest.

If the police are saying that they were called in the early hours of the morning then possible that the kid has freaked out or had a bit of a meltdown which has caused a scene which has led to the police being called.

11 years old should be old enough to be left at home or in a hotel room while your parents go out for a while. Maybe 2 or 3 days would be pushing it but just 1 night? Seems like it should be fine.

I wonder what the cut-off point would be for when you wouldnt be arrested for leaving your kid alone in a hotel room. 12, 13? Surely not 16 or 18?

This is quite good, but you give the game away at the very end. You'll still land a few though.

WTF
It is complete neglect
A hotel in a city hundreds of miles from home alone while the old boy goes on the lash.
Would the child be aware of the escape routes etc in an emergency or what to do at all?
Folk will scoff but it reminded me of a time we were in Florida. Mrs and I down at the hotel pool. Son, must've been 12/13 I guess, in the hotel room with his Nintendo or whatever.

Next minute the hotel fire alarm starts sounding. Then we see smoke billowing out the building.:eek: Never moved so fast in my life. Folk streaming out the hotel as the Mrs and I fight to get back IN. Security barring our way as she's going frantic. Heart was racing like a marathon runner on speed.

Thankfully things calmed down, the small fire was brought under control and we got up to our son - blissfully unaware that anything had gone on because he had his earphones on and was listening to music.:confused: We laugh about it now - but we weren't laughing at the time.

I was a latch key kid and ran wild, but putting aside child welfare issues the guy is a crap dad. Him and his kid could have gone out and had some fun together to celebrate. He could have given the kid a night in London with their dad that they would have remembered for the rest of their lives . But he dumped the bearn in a hotel room in a strange city and went out with the boys. What shit dad.

I was a latch key kid and ran wild, but putting aside child welfare issues the guy is a crap dad. Him and his kid could have gone out and had some fun together to celebrate. He could have given the kid a night in London with their dad that they would have remembered for the rest of their lives . But he dumped the bearn in a hotel room in a strange city and went out with the boys. What shit dad.
Why would they go to London?
He is a terrible dad though who should not be left in charge of the lad again.
His Mrs should boot him to the kerb also

Went with my 8 year old Nephew to Chelsea a few months back, stayed in an Ibis at West Brompton. 3pm Tuesday we arrived and had a lie down for an hour and I went to the Shop 5 mins tops walk away from the room and left him in the room, must admit I wasn't too keen on it and wanted to be back sharp. Got back and someone had tried the room door, he had been trying to ring his Mam on his mobile as he was a bit nervous. The morning after a member of staff just lets themyself in the bloody room like, I don't know what the hell was going on - they just apologised and left. I should have complained really looking back, when we actually arrived a bloke had just checked in and gone to his room and someone was already checked in the thing and he was having a pop at reception. Strange goings on but it was enough to know I wouldn't leave him alone like that again till he was a good bit older.

Sat outside a few pubs growing up while the old man was in having a few. When you got coke and crisps, you knew he’d be a bit longer than usual. Simple rule, if you complain to your mother, you can stay home next game.

I had no issue and got to see most Rangers games growing up. Also had my own key from about 9, without incident or concern.

times have changed though, but still don’t see a huge issue with an 11 year old in a hotel room.

Does seem odd but maybe the 11 year old was quite happy to stay in the hotel room watching tv, plus I assume he'll have a mobile to play with or contact his dad if need be.

Folk will scoff but it reminded me of a time we were in Florida. Mrs and I down at the hotel pool. Son, must've been 12/13 I guess, in the hotel room with his Nintendo or whatever.

Next minute the hotel fire alarm starts sounding. Then we see smoke billowing out the building.:eek: Never moved so fast in my life. Folk streaming out the hotel as the Mrs and I fight to get back IN. Security barring our way as she's going frantic. Heart was racing like a marathon runner on speed.

Thankfully things calmed down, the small fire was brought under control and we got up to our son - blissfully unaware that anything had gone on because he had his earphones on and was listening to music.:confused: We laugh about it now - but we weren't laughing at the time.
Wow sound horrific , but so glad all ended well for you all .

Back in the 50's and 60's parents at the holiday camps such as Butlin's and Pontin's would go out to evening shows and bars in the camp and the camp had chalet maids doing rounds of the chalets to check on the kids left in their beds but it was only maybe once or twice in the evening, kids who could be much younger than 11. I was left in the chalet at 9 with my wee sister who was 4. It was just normal and one of the attractions for families to go on holiday to the camps. It was no big deal.

W.A.T.P.

That’s 70 years ago.

You didn’t grass yourselves up to him did you?

And he was playing with more than the Nintendo at that age.

11, I was letting myself in from school - another 2 hours until my dad was home.

When I was 7 and 8, we stayed in a hotel over New Year. I was left in my room whilst my parents went downstairs to the party.

But as a father now, I wouldn’t do the later. There were just as many bad things then as there are now - but things just seem different.

Just wondered if anyone else was ever left sitting outside the pub with a can of coke and a bag of crisps while their da/ uncle was having a few pints before the game?

No? Dad leaves kid to go on the lash versus Mum leaves kid to go on the lash/pull/search for drugs. Seems very similar to me.

Father in this instance was an arse. Just enjoy your day at the footie with your lad - together.
In this instance the kid was in a safe place.. Maybe it's just me being old school so I'll just have to agree to disagree with there mate. Anyway, did you enjoy today's game? I know that I did, with my son sitting next to me.B-)

W.A.T.P.

Honestly there is no comparison to being home alone in a familiar place to being left in a city centre hotel occupied by strangers!

Reactions: VGM
I was reading up on the legalities of this a while back, and it's basically at your discretion when you think your child is safe, and is old enough.

It's at your discretion but within reason. I came away thinking the law seems to say under tens is too far, but that's was basically a guess because there no minimum age in the law, it's vaigue.

Personally I think it depends on the length of time , and the specific 11 year old in this situation. Some 11 year olds are very competent, have a phone, can use it, would have their bearings in the hotel, be comfortable with the door key.

I would leave my eleven year old in a hotel room of they were comfortable, but only for an hour or two at the most, but not a night out for hours and hours. Plus even when you get back the kid might not be properly cared for if you are pissed.

I bet his mates called it in.
You could perhaps understand if he popped down to the hotel bar a had a quick pint or a fag.
Leaving a kid to go into town isn't right .
Does it say if the mom and dad are still together?

If they are ,they probably won't be soon .
Good look with his visitation rights after this showing

I’ll bring my son to our RSC, I take him to a game or two a season as well.
I’ll generally have a few drinks while I’m there but I can’t imagine thinking that it’s be fine to leave him alone in a hotel room overnight while I go off on the lash for a few hours… although I’m sure he would think it was the best night ever!

The whole things a bit odd though.. if the mum contacts the boy to say goodnight and finds that the dad isn’t there - surely she calls the dad and tells him to get his arse back to the hotel?
She either did that and he ignored her, or she went straight to the police because there are other issues at play?

Comments in here are unbelievable, if you think leaving you're son in a hotel room whilst you go out on the lash is acceptable then it don't say much for you're parenting does it. Times have changed you can't be doing that. If you was that bothered about going on the piss after don't take the boy.

Fuxake, I started secondary school at 11, travelled to Ibrox with me wee brother for games at that age, cycled to the Clyde tunnel from Castlemilk.

A few fucking hours in a hotel room on my Todd would have been a piece of piss.

Unless the lad has special needs or something it’s hardly the crime of the century.

I was wanking at eleven. An empty hotel room would be bliss.
Late Starter

Quite enjoying the assumptions the Hotel was safe, could well have been The Merchants on back Picadilly! Which is a bit similar to Euro Hostel with all kinds of dregs staying in it at times.

Last edited:
changed days, I used to walk to school on my own at 6, my own kids can barely put their coats on themselves

Grey area legally, there is no hard and fast laws being broken.

Would I have done it - never in a million years.

Grey area legally, there is no hard and fast laws being broken.

Would I have done it - never in a million years.

Years ago, my dad would go to to the pub, get me a can of juice and crisps and i would wait outside for him before we went to the game.

Could be pishing but i didn't mind. I was going to the game.

He would check i was fine as his friends did every now and again.

Long time ago of course, but i think that was the standard of father/son relationship for football, before he got his balls booted from my mum. :))

I certainly wouldn't leave a wee fella in that situation.

Back