Boyd on Sky Sports

exeterbear

Talking about Morelos- "there's questions asked about his link up play" really??? Then says he's got it all the same as Eduard. Is he good enough for the Premier League - "that remains to be seen".

At times, Alfie can be a tad slack with loose passes after great hold up play, but a low percentage.

He isn't suggesting we go for him surely?

Talking about Morelos- "there's questions asked about his link up play" really??? Then says he's got it all the same as Eduard. Is he good enough for the Premier League - "that remains to be seen".

It’s an incredibly weird criticism of him given how good he is at link up play. Think it’s a bit of the media gaslighting - if they say it often enough then the gullible start to believe it. Think Boyd counts as one of the gullible not one of the gas lighters.

Morelos’ link-up play for the most part is great. He occasionally though seems to have a slack pass that puts the other team on the counter and though I’m being a bit pedantic I’d love him to get rid of that because I sh*t myself every time he does it

Alfies linked up play is good. Sometimes he does the hard work and then lets himself down with a slack pass.

Am I concerned? No.

I look at the Alfredo Morelos we signed.
I look at him a year ago.
I look at him now.

His exponential growth as a footballer is incredible.

If he carries on at the rate he has, he'll be firing the winner in Gdansk.

Boyd had the link up play of a fallen tree in comparison to Morelos. The wee man is one the best I have seen playing without a partner, because of his link up play.

His link up play is sensational. One of the strongest parts of his game. I don't know what Boyd has been smoking but he's wrong on that.

"there's questions asked about his link up play" really??? Then says he's got it all the same as Eduard.

The OP doesn't read like Boyd agrees with those who question his link up play. Especially if he goes on to say "he's got it all"

Edouard is bummed up too much by people, he already cost them £9m which is already a huge amount for a team in Scotland to spend and he's scored goals V us with some of the worst defences we've ever had

apart from Clancy letting him away with a handball, he did nothing against us on 29th December. He's done practically nothing in Europe either

I don't mind him talking Alfie down a little if it helps keep him here until the summer for 55.

At the end of the day anybody who is going to stump up £40m+ for a player is not going to be influenced by Kris Boyd:).

Imagine Boyd criticising anybody's link up play he was no where near Alfie's ability as a lone frontman.

This is the problem Yahoo centric elements in the media have (not to suggest Boyd is one of them, although at times he does himself, and indeed us, no favours): how to insist Edouard is a better player and therefore worthy of commanding a higher fee than Morelos, despite having scored considerably less goals than him, especially in Europe where our man has been genuinely sensational.

The obvious criticism is Alfie's temperament.
Can Morelos be trusted not to pick up crazy reds that keep him out for large chunks of the season?

Well, he didn't receive any in Finland and he hasn't received any in Europe, so there may be an obvious factor to examine there for any prospective buyers.

Then we've heard this guff about Edouard doing so much more than just scoring goals, something that is conspicuously denied to Morelos when he causes their back four all sorts of problems yet the focus remains fixed on his inability to find the back of the net against them.

Boyd has had a lot of good things to say recently.

This isn't one of them.

His link up play is fine but it also can improve. Maybe people should wait and see what Boyd actually said rather than go off a post with very little detail. If I was a betting man I’d say Boyd will have suggested he could improve in this area rather than “criticise” his link up play.

This is the problem Yahoo centric elements in the media have (not to suggest Boyd is one of them, although at times he does himself, and indeed us, no favours): how to insist Edouard is a better player and therefore worthy of commanding a higher fee than Morelos, despite having scored considerably less goals than him, especially in Europe where our man has been genuinely sensational.

The obvious criticism is Alfie's temperament.
Can Morelos be trusted not to pick up crazy reds that keep him out for large chunks of the season?

Well, he didn't receive any in Finland and he hasn't received any in Europe, so there may be an obvious factor to examine there for any prospective buyers.

Then we've heard this guff about Edouard doing so much more than just scoring goals, something that is conspicuously denied to Morelos when he causes their back four all sorts of problems yet the focus remains fixed on his inability to find the back of the net against them.

Boyd has had a lot of good things to say recently.

This isn't one of them.

UFA away mate.

You have only a very limited amount of former footballers who have the ability to work as a co-commentator and actually have a tactical acute brain. McCann and Kevin Thomson spring to mind.

Lots more have a very restricted ability to do so and usually a repetive, stereotyical vocabulary as well, slinging phrases about without thinking first. And quite of few of that lot clad this inability by being confrontational, offensive or trollish.

The big problem is that the broadcasting stations accept these latter people or simply find no-one to put up with them on the microphone.

This is just mentally challenged narrative. A massive aspect they try to promote is how good Edouard is with his link up play. Therefore, with Alfie out scoring him with ease then they will want to feed out some negative made up nonsense about his link up play.

Plus Tom Boyd. Never trust a man with his eyes that close together

His link up play is great in my opinion, a strong point of his game. After watching some of the strikers in the EPL who cost millions they could not lace el buffalo's boots. You are way off the mark boydie.

That's true, but I really meant this season where it's accepted by most that he's significantly improved his discipline and his performances have been first rate.
It does highlight the difference in refereeing though.
We've played 30 games in Europe since he arrived with one red card (I'd need to check how many he played though)
He was never sent off playing in Finland.

So that just leaves Scotland....

This is just mentally challenged narrative.
There's an unlimited amount of that just now with the usual adjectives like "astonished". The biggest load of gob must be the 8 points ahead at New Year stuff, despite admitting being "fortunate" at the LCF.

It does highlight the difference in refereeing though.
We've played 30 games in Europe since he arrived with one red card (I'd need to check how many he played though)
He was never sent off playing in Finland.

So that just leaves Scotland....

You know that if he goes down to the EPL the cards and opporobrium will mysteriously vanish.

He's victimised in Scotland in a way that is both bizarre and disgraceful.

Are we back to Boyd not being allowed an opinion again? It's so hard to keep up.

I think you're firing your arrows in the wrong direction there. There are so many other targets
No I just think he's totally wrong and that Morelos link up play is excellent. Yes he's allowed an opinion, maybe he's just trying to say that Morelos was like himself.

This is what Boyd is saying:

"A lot of people will question his link-up play, I don’t think it’s as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.

"He’s definitely a handful, he works his socks off, he’s tireless, he’s a nuisance to defenders.

"Even if he’s not scoring you know you’re in a game of football.

It’s an incredibly weird criticism of him given how good he is at link up play. Think it’s a bit of the media gaslighting - if they say it often enough then the gullible start to believe it. Think Boyd counts as one of the gullible not one of the gas lighters.
If I make one very minor gripe with Alfie and and it's that he could do with a wee bit more composure instead of blasting it sometimes,his numbers would be even higher,as for his link up play absolutely second to none and if I had to choose between Alfie and Edward,for me it's Alfie hands down.

His link up play has improved from last year but still got a bit go yet. Still try’s sum stupid shots now and again but hey nobodies perfect. Proved he’s a better goal scorer than edwardo or what ever you call him.

Heaven forbid an ex ranger having an opinion. My god, have you seen the match day threads on here if it's still 0-0 after 20 minutes. Now that is criticism.

Back