British Super League being Planned in Secret with Celtic and Rangers Invited

Because people come and go. We are part of the fabric of Scottish football. Many of those in charge at the time are gone. I take the same view with the SFA having nothing to do with the Scotland team. Suits come and go.
So, the supporters of the diddy clubs that forced their clubs to vote us away have all gone? Brilliant news!

Are they the same team that put out the team sitting third in the EPL from the Europa League?
Yes - and the same team Arsenal put 4 past away from home. We can both play that game.

The fact is I want to see us competing at the highest level both domestically and in Europe. Who wouldn't?

Yes - and the same team Arsenal put 4 past away from home. We can both play that game.

The fact is I want to see us competing at the highest level both domestically and in Europe. Who wouldn't?
Porto and Ajax are the clubs we should aspire to. I don't see anything that stops us from being another Newcastle down there.

What do you genuinely think our potential is?

I'd say it is clear that I think our potential to scale is bigger than you believe it to be.

We are an immensely marketable brand based in the UK in a world known city limited by the market we are forced to operate in due to historic accident.

Your opinion might change if we become the Hamilton or Livingston.
Its a fair point i suppose how would we deal with no winning the prizes ? might never win the league thats the gamble id take it anyway but its a fair comment.

Saying that we are already stronger than about 75/80 per cent of these teams and thats without the dosh.

This is just my opinion, all lot of our fans are fair minded and patriotic to Scotland, but have they already forgotten how we were treated by the spfl,sfa,SNP, every club in Scotland wanted Rangers dead and buried,?Well I'm afraid I am not so forgiving if we got the chance to go to a much better league I would snatch their hand off,and stick two fingers at the absolute reprobates who run the game here, and leave them to the cesspit they created,I know it's probably not going to happen now but I'm sure it will in the future, we deserve better than what's on offer in this backwater, WATP.

I've never been a fan of dropping us into an English set up. If it's a genuinely British league and the rest of Scotland is involved in a regional way then cross border leagues are the future but it has to be on sporting merit and it can't be a closed shop.
I understand where you're coming from and in an ideal world that would be fair and above board on the face of it.
However are Hearts, Hibs and the Sheep going to go for that. Being constantly in the 3rd or 4th tier of a British set up as opposed to being too dogs in Scotland? I'm guessing definitely not.

So we'd go straight to being one of the 10-15 richest clubs in the world ?
yeah why not. what 15 clubs would have bigger revenues if we were in a cash rich league? We would be right up in amongst it. Are you suggesting we couldn't match the revenues of spurs or arsenal ?

If anything I see the fallout from the failed ESL handing even more power back to the rest of English football, and ensuring stunts like these never happen again. After the last few days the idea that a single English club would be pushed aside to make way for us is ridiculous.

The other thing to consider is that in recent years we've seen more and more EPL clubs taken over by billionaires making our position significantly weaker if we were to join the EPL. Wolves are loaded, Everton too, and now it looks like Newcastle will be joining them. Personally, I think that ship has sailed. Maybe 15 years ago, but now I think we would immediately struggle and continue to struggle. We need to focus on rebuilding the club, dominating the domestic game and enjoying our exploits in Europe.

I think the key to our future health, and success, is an easier path into the CL. That's a game changer for us.

Last edited:
Football fans - traditions and culture matter and we should protect the domestic game by opposing the biggest clubs moving for more money.

Also football fans - Ooooh, we might get a crack at EPL money.

Either moving for financial reasons is right or it isnt. Lets just be honest about why we want it for one club but not another.

I hate this bigoted, backwater shitehole league set-up so I’m fully on board with a British League with regional leagues underneath. I feel our club will grow more as we face bigger challenges instead of the same old 2-horse race.

The same disdain as they would have for us leap frogging everyone except the other 16??

Where have I heard this before?
Not sure where the comparison is here mate. Really don't get you're point.
I've said the top club's would treat a British club with disdain. Why in earth would they do the same to their new too league set up if it ever happened, it makes no sense.

It's typical inequality also. Take the old firm, they have to take the other 40 clubs into their system too imho.

We don't want the majority of out clubs left behind like the Welsh. If Brentford and celticcan make it to the epl, them so to should Arbroath be able to.

Otherwise we are just adding more cash to the English system which gets filtered into all the English teams academies and developing their national team, whilst Scotland gets left even further behind with next to zero investment outwith the old firm.

And the rest of Scottish football dreaming of champions league?!? Could you imagine what would happen to the coefficient if both celtic and rangers points were suddenly attributed to England?!?
Why are you worrying about clubs that said they would rather we died than let us back into SPL , teams like arbroath ,alloa ect offer f**k all to scottish football with grounds that belong in the 50s most of these clubs are quite happy to just trundle along with no ambition

I'd say it is clear that I think our potential to scale is bigger than you believe it to be.

We are an immensely marketable brand based in the UK in a world known city limited by the market we are forced to operate in due to historic accident.

So what do you believe our potential to be? Winning the EPL? Winning the CL?

What makes us immensely more marketable than teams like Everton and Villa?

Do you really need that second question answered?
I'd like to know what makes us any more attractive than Newcastle. Massive stadiums and passionate fans don't make it guaranteed you'll have success. If some teams are already struggling to keep up with the big 6 then I'm not sure dropping us in is going to lead to the kind of success on the pitch we demand. Aston Villa also have one more European Cup than we do so show a bit of respect.

I would prefer a British Cup, maybe replacing the League Cup competitions in England and Scotland.
Have said this for years.

League is never going to happen in a million years as there is no benefit to the big English teams.

Scrap the *insert betting company* cup and the Carabao cup, and a UK Super Cup would actually be really interesting.

We'd always be Rangers, just nowhere near as successful as we've been over the course of our history. It took Liverpool 30 years to win the league title, Man Utd went 27 years to win it, 8 years since they last won it, Arsenal last won it in 2004, Spurs haven't got near it since the 1960s, anyone that thinks this would be a five year plan to win it is kidding themselves.

Anyway there's no way other English teams are ever giving up their place in that league to accommodate us or that other mob. It's made up nonsense that rears it's head every couple of years. We'll be staying in the Scottish game that's for sure
It was made up nonsense until this point. The ESL has disrupted everyone's thinking. For the time being they have been put back in the box, but not for ever. They have asked for Z while maybe really aiming for M in a couple of years. This isn't going to go away. It has demonstrated the art of the possible and changed the dynamics of thinking for many clubs. The EPL 6 all went along with it. Let us be absolutely blunt: the ones who weren't invited would have signed for it as well had they been invited. All the chairmen would take the vast wealth on offer and break the EPL if it hadnt been for the fans' response. We are now in a situation where a watered down version of breakaways will seem palatable by comparison. If the big money boys want to swap out Fulham and Burnley for the Old Firm, then it will happpen.

Why are you worrying about clubs that said they would rather we died than let us back into SPL , teams like arbroath ,alloa ect offer f**k all to scottish football with grounds that belong in the 50s most of these clubs are quite happy to just trundle along with no ambition
They dont exist to offer ambition. If you own, manage, play for or support an Arbroath, you are not there for the glory: ever. They exist to allow people to play and follow football. There is nothing wrong with that whatsoever. Trundling is what they do and what they are quite entitled to do.

League is never going to happen in a million years as there is no benefit to the big English teams.

Scrap the *insert betting company* cup and the Carabao cup, and a UK Super Cup would actually be really interesting.

Without financial levelling up it would be embarrassing. What would be the point? Our SPL teams would get beat by championship/league 1 teams regularly in the cup before we even got to an uninterested Man U etc.

If this is British League is going to happen, similar to the Super League closed shop outcry, all British teams should have a chance to win it.

The National Cup might be interesting for you, but not for many in the EPL. I dont think it would have any more standing than the present League Cup in England. If it isnt of interest to the big boys, then its a waste of time. Its basically a club version of the Home Internationals.

Football fans - traditions and culture matter and we should protect the domestic game by opposing the biggest clubs moving for more money.

Either moving for financial reasons is right or it isnt. Lets just be honest about why we want it for one club but not another.
Is merging the Belgian and Dutch leagues the same as creating a superleague with 15 founder members who will permanently be members, face no relegation and will have the power to invite anyone they like, and remove them, at will?

If the answer is no (the answer is no) then you cannot compare a merging of the English and Scottish leagues to a closed shop ESL either.

You tried this stupid equivalency on the other thread and practically every internet user in Europe joined FF just to tell you how wrong you were. The two are still not anywhere near the same. Do not make all those poor folk join up again to tell you how wrong you are, please, for the love of God.

It was made up nonsense until this point. The ESL has disrupted everyone's thinking. For the time being they have been put back in the box, but not for ever. They have asked for Z while maybe really aiming for M in a couple of years. This isn't going to go away. It has demonstrated the art of the possible and changed the dynamics of thinking for many clubs. The EPL 6 all went along with it. Let us be absolutely blunt: the ones who weren't invited would have signed for it as well had they been invited. All the chairmen would take the vast wealth on offer and break the EPL if it hadnt been for the fans' response. We are now in a situation where a watered down version of breakaways will seem palatable by comparison. If the big money boys want to swap out Fulham and Burnley for the Old Firm, then it will happpen.

If the big money boys want to swap Burnley and Fulham for Rangers and Celtic then it should surely face the same opposition as the big money boys wanting to swap them out for Barcelona and Real Madrid?

Either is fine - it happens or it doesnt - but lets have a bit of honesty that we're all happy if it helps our club and unhappy if it doesnt.

If the big money boys want to swap Burnley and Fulham for Rangers and Celtic then it should surely face the same opposition as the big money boys wanting to swap them out for Barcelona and Real Madrid?

Either is fine - it happens or it doesnt - but lets have a bit of honesty that we're all happy if it helps our club and unhappy if it doesnt.
The super league wouldn’t have been as horrendous an idea, if it had a pyramid.

Don’t try and compare the two.

They dont exist to offer ambition. If you own, manage, play for or support an Arbroath, you are not there for the glory: ever. They exist to allow people to play and follow football. There is nothing wrong with that whatsoever. Trundling is what they do and what they are quite entitled to do.
Thats fair enough but then why should rangers be held back to help these clubs

Is merging the Belgian and Dutch leagues the same as creating a superleague with 15 founder members who will permanently be members, face no relegation and will have the power to invite anyone they like, and remove them, at will?

If the answer is no (the answer is no) then you cannot compare a merging of the English and Scottish leagues to a closed shop ESL either.

You tried this stupid equivalency on the other thread and practically every internet user in Europe joined FF just to tell you how wrong you were. The two are still not anywhere near the same. Do not make all those poor folk join up again to tell you how wrong you are, please, for the love of God.

I don't think that the Belgians and Dutch should form a combined league.

If they're going to do it then at least be honest that it's about money. If thats what they want to do then wire in. Be honest about why it's happening. It's because Ajax and Anderlecht want to play each other in a league with better finances rather than playing FC Emmen or Kortrijk.

If Man Utd can't go off to their own new money league then Rangers and Celtic shouldn't join the EPL for exactly the same reasons. Invitation only. Essentially an option closed off to Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs or even lowly Albion Rovers.

If we want genuine change in football then brilliant. I'd be happy to see a British league to tier 4 and regional leagues below that. I'd love to see a better distribution of finances. Genuine investment in grass roots and local community football clubs that try and keep football accessible to the average working man.

Lets just not pretend that any of this is whats happening. It's about money and either money is good if it benefits your team or its bad if it doesnt.

I think the Old Firm moving to England would benefit everyone, it will soon be 40 years since a team outwith Rangers and Celtic won the league, and I wouldn't bet against the next 40 years being the same, something needs to change, I for one would love to see England's best playing regularly at Ibrox, if European football has to take a back seat for a few years, so be it.

I could get onboard with an incentivised cup at the end of the season - top 2 in each league -
1st v 2nd of respective leagues then a final etc.

As for joining that league, i’m not sure i’m interested in that

Here we go again.

It's probably been mentioned on this thread.

It won't happen because of Celtic.

Celtic fans going to England every fortnight, and belting out IRA and anti-British songs would cause endless trouble.

David Cameron alluded to the trouble years ago, but never mentioned it's cause.

Tims are toxic.

I don't think that the Belgians and Dutch should form a combined league.

If they're going to do it then at least be honest that it's about money. If thats what they want to do then wire in. Be honest about why it's happening. It's because Ajax and Anderlecht want to play each other in a league with better finances rather than playing FC Emmen or Kortrijk.

If Man Utd can't go off to their own new money league then Rangers and Celtic shouldn't join the EPL for exactly the same reasons. Invitation only. Essentially an option closed off to Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs or even lowly Albion Rovers.

If we want genuine change in football then brilliant. I'd be happy to see a British league to tier 4 and regional leagues below that. I'd love to see a better distribution of finances. Genuine investment in grass roots and local community football clubs that try and keep football accessible to the average working man.

Lets just not pretend that any of this is whats happening. It's about money and either money is good if it benefits your team or its bad if it doesnt.
The bit in bold, well, they are 100% honest and state pretty clearly that it is about money.

If Rangers and Celtic were invited by Liverpool, Man UTD, Man CIty, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Leicester, Everton, West Ham, Leeds, Villa, Wolves and Palace (to make a total of 15) into a league, given permanent membership with no threat of EVER being relegated, no chance of Aberdeen, Dundee UTD, Hibs, Hearts etc EVER making it there (unless we invite them, of course, and this new league went directly up against the existing European competitions, devaluing them and taking money away from all other leagues as a result then yes, absolutely, you would have a wonderful point.

That is not what was suggested. There is talk (complete pipedream, will never happen) of a merging of the leagues. Just like in Belgium and Holland.

Why you still try to conflate these 2 completely different and entirely separate ideas is baffling in the extreme. it is almost as if you can only hold 2 ideas in your head at any one time and everything must fit into one or the other.

I think its different. The ESL participants wanted that league plus the ability to play in their existing leagues plus pocket the ESL money plus their existing money. That is reaching more than parachuting the Old Firm into an existing league. We gain and 2 clubs lose out. It is the same principle but on a different level. Someone gets done for going at 40mph in a 30mph zone and someone else gets pissed up and writes of 4 cars causing a 6 hour delay on the M8. Both motoring offences but one will cause outrage and the other a shrug of the shoulders.

Back