Bruno Alves : Pepe Would Enjoy It Here

NorseGod

BRUNO Alves reckons Portugal star Pepe would fancy dipping his toe into Scotland's chilly football waters.

Alves has been regaling national team-mates, including superstar Cristiano Ronaldo, about the wonders of life in Glasgow and says he has had a captive audience since moving to Rangers.

At 35, the European Championship winner is loving the rough and tumble of the Ladbrokes Premiership, and says former Real Madrid icon Pepe is just the type of player that one day would enjoy a similar experience.

"Of course. I speak to them all the time about the clubs I’ve been at, especially at this moment," said Alves. “Cristiano has played in Manchester so he knows about Scottish football and Rangers. Pepe also played against Rangers before when we were in the same team [at Porto].

“Everybody knows about football here in Scotland. I spoke about how intense the game is here, and how physical it is. Pepe is like ‘my style is also liking confrontations’. Maybe it’s a place one day he can come to play.

“He’d enjoy it because he’s a strong character. He likes to fight for every ball and he has the attitude that fits here.

“I don’t know if it’s possible because he’s now playing for Besiktas in Turkey but football is so small. Everything can happen.

“I never expected to come here but when I got the offer it was my choice because I know all about the club and the football. For me, it’s important to be here."

For a man who only last summer played a part in helping Ronaldo and co win the Euros, today's Betfred Cup semi-final with Motherwell is perhaps not as daunting to the defender as it is for some of his less-experience team-mates. Not that he would agree.

“I think it was in Portugal that I started to play these types of games," said Alves. "They are all very special. Every game where you can reach a final is emotional because you feel you are a step away.

“It’s important for the players, the club, the coach. Because we believe in what we are doing and we believe we can win. We also want to win trophies for the club. It’s an important feeling that we have."

The press would slaughter a guy like Pepe in this hellhole if a country, booked for every physical challenge he made fair or not.

He would rarely be on the pitch here. If celebrating a goal gets someone in blue sent off then Pepe would be looking at a stretch in Barlinnie.

Would be nice the odd game he managed, seing him and Alves together taking turns kicking that thing the thumb has living on his head masquerading as a barnet.

Pepe is a loose cannon but a very good defender. You never know in Football but a Pepe/Alves defensive partnership would be very solid.

As others have said, I can't stand the man, a cheating, diving, lying bastard, but my god, I'd love him in my team, f.ucking hero status right there

giphy.gif

CR7 or R9. I’ve never liked Fat Ronaldo. It is a shocking way to describe one of my favourite players of all time.

Fair enough. However calling a player Cr7 or R9 sums up the Fifa generation. I honestly spoke to a wee guy who thought playing Fifa was a sport

Pepe would thrive on the physicality of Scottish football but would be an instant target for the referees.

If there is any justice in the world we will get to enjoy the sight of Pepe and Alves kicking no-mark SPFL players around the pitch for fun next season.

Back