Burnley "richer than Internationale"

The 11:30 am (UK) kick-off time of the Milan derby back in April was dictated by Chinese tv requirements, which hugely detracted from the occasion. And with both clubs now owned by Chinese owners it'll happen again this season. I suppose if they pay the readies then everything else follows in a logical progression. Our beloved European wide game is gone as we knew it. I'll never get used to it.

I'm not sure the bubble will burst but I do believe that the day will come when tv companies will get the product cheaper.

Watching clubs run up debts will eventually find it back in the hands of sky etc, they will start offering "take it or leave it" offers knowing that clubs will be in no financial position to refuse

Watching clubs run up debts will eventually find it back in the hands of sky etc, they will start offering "take it or leave it" offers knowing that clubs will be in no financial position to refuse

On the contrary, Sky have consistently made offers way above market value for the rights because the money is used to buy players which then makes it attractive to sell, etc. There are times when Sky have made huge offers despite being the only serious buyer on the table - something which in normal circumstances would drive the price down.

I think there is increasing disenchantment within the UK towards the EPL but the problem is that the TV incomes will continue to be driven from overseas. In that sense, the EPL is not equivalent to Serie A in the 1990's.

I think the EPL will increasingly become a foreign league based in England - foreign owners, largely foreign coaches and players, tourists, the 'EPL experience', foreign supporters watching abroad, etc.

It's already like that.

It's an international league which just happens to hold it's matches on English soil.

The England team are now also-rans, and the worst part is that no-one - not the fans, the managers or the media - seem to be particularly bothered. They just have this acceptance of it. For me, the last England side who really cared about the game and who seemed to get the nation behind them was the England side of Euro 96, or perhaps the France 98 squad. Since then, enthusiasm for international football seems to have steadily declined.

Every TV deal is more lucrative than the last, but you wonder what it's all for. The PL seems to be the only thing they care about. FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League matches are treated with disdain, even by clubs who have no realistic hope of winning the Premier League or securing a CL place within it. Why are they even involved in football if not to win trophies and to make memories?

They're already rich - why not be rich winners instead of rich also-rans?

We slag off the Scottish league but in a funny way football seems to mean more up here.

Sky's showpiece this evening - West Ham v Huddersfield. No offence to supporters of those clubs, but do me a favour. Is that what folk are paying over £50 a month to see?

The worst thing that UEFA ever did was opening up the CL to non-champions. That was when it jumped the shark.

As much as I hate them, if you look at it this season from the Bheggars' point of view. Yes, they've made it to the group stage, but in their heart of hearts they know they'll probably be destroyed in most of their matches and they'll be lucky to have any European football to speak of after Christmas.

If you rewind to the 90s however, when only champions got in, what a selling point that was for clubs from smaller countries like us. We could offer something that none except one English club, or one Spanish club, or one German club, or one Italian club could offer - CL football.

You can spend as much as you like, but if you were Arsenal or Liverpool or whoever and you can't get into the CL because Man Utd are winning the title each season, then coming to Rangers was a much more attractive prospect back then than it is now, when players can earn far more by plying their trade with the likes of Brighton and Huddersfield than they can by playing their football at Ibrox.

But, of course, UEFA and the big leagues don't care about this. They're having a party and if you come from the wrong country, you're not invited.

I hope English football goes bust. It sickens me to the point where I just tune it out.

Scunnered with teams like Burnley, Bournemouth, Huddersfield etc. being able to easily outspend us. It is sickening.

Most, if not all, of the Championship could outspend us too.
Shyte state of affairs altogether.

Sit a player down with the two clubs sat in front of him and ask him who he'd sign for. That would give you a level of the players ambition.

I think the comparison to Serie A is not really well founded. Berlusconi's model was insular and involved TV being so financially dominant that clubs would need to let fans in for free to generate atmosphere - he truly believed this (and so did Murray); what he did not consider is how small that world was about to become and how football would become a global marketing tool. How many Russian, Chinese, US and Arab billionaires were backing clubs in Italy? This model is a pretty well thought out situation as proven via the owners of Man City. As a company you can spend a fortune trying to get recognition of your brand and get nowhere, or you can buy a club, have your brand visible week in, week out globally and all of a sudden people know you. The Man City owners have openly stated that the acquisition of City was the smallest investment they had ever made, yet it has had the greatest impact on their business.

I'd guess that this bubble has a way to go before it deflates even a little as the comparable spend on marketing generally versus just tearing the arse out of TV exposure suggests there is still plenty of upward scope on TV revenue.

I remember someone commentating that some teams in the second tier of English football could afford to sign most players in the world outside of the very top teams (Real, Barca etc). Probably true and pretty depressing.

I remember someone commentating that some teams in the second tier of English football could afford to sign most players in the world outside of the very top teams (Real, Barca etc). Probably true and pretty depressing.

The 5th (possibly even 4th) richest league in Europe... Even more depressing...

Back