Butland vs Klos

The first really good keeper we've had since I began watching Rangers was Chris Woods (respect to the others before that - but all they had quite a few mistakes in them) and we've been lucky since then with our No.1s. Overall it's very close for our greatest ever but I'd give it to Goram with probably McGregor just edging Klos for second.

That's obviously great but I'm minded of a thread when people were being ridiculed for saying they'd sell him for 10m-15m.
Why wouldn’t we? Great run in Europe. Great performances in the league. Could win a treble and get called up to the English euro squad.

Seems a sensible valuation

Why wouldn’t we? Great run in Europe. Great performances in the league. Could win a treble and get called up to the English euro squad.

Seems a sensible valuation
That's my point, we'd be mental to knock it back and obviously we would take it and run in the real world.

Klos from 1999 through till his injury in 2004 was ridiculously good. When we were having to play Jesper Christiansen and Mark Brown there was an incredible drop off and played a big part in us basically surrendering the title by October back in 00/01.

Both great goalies although both don't/didnt look comfortable with the ball at their feet when being pressed.

Klos for me.

During a conversation at Glw Airport re keepers years ago my mate (keeper at decent level) declared Klos was technically superb. Debate was interrupted by none other than Goram who had taken up a seat behind us. AG said Klos was technically as good as he’d ever seen and his positional sense meant he didn’t have to make the flying saves him and other keepers did although was capable to do so. Klos was unfortunate in his timing as he grew up with pass backs permitted and then suddenly it was stopped and keepers had to kick ball away and that was (possibly cross balls too) a department he lacked in. Frightening we were able to sign a then German international squad keeper! Klos all day long.
And btw I love big JB

I know I'm in the minority but Klos is the best Rangers keeper I've seen.

In order I'd go

Klos
Goram
Woods
McGregor (bar the final 2 years)
Butland

Klos done it for much longer so no point in comparing. Butland would need to keep his current form up for another 2/3 seasons.

One thing I will say though is Butland can clear the ball the full length of the park with either foot. Klos could barley clear the halfway line with his good foot.

Klos is up there with the very best goal keepers I've seen at us. There's an argument to say that he could be number one on the list. I like Butland but he's nowhere near that for me yet.

During a conversation at Glw Airport re keepers years ago my mate (keeper at decent level) declared Klos was technically superb. Debate was interrupted by none other than Goram who had taken up a seat behind us. AG said Klos was technically as good as he’d ever seen and his positional sense meant he didn’t have to make the flying saves him and other keepers did although was capable to do so. Klos was unfortunate in his timing as he grew up with pass backs permitted and then suddenly it was stopped and keepers had to kick ball away and that was (possibly cross balls too) a department he lacked in. Frightening we were able to sign a then German international squad keeper! Klos all day long.
And btw I love big JB

That's an interesting point about Klos.

Buffon was another who didn't seem to let goals in but didn't make loads of saves. I watched him closely in a couple of games and he was just exactly where the shots went time after time.

Was talking to my cousin about this and imo it would be Klos!

Thoughts??
Butland is a good keeper he has shown that.

But at moment he's no where near klos, mcgregor etc

We were spoiled with mcgregor at penalties for example butland for such big guy seems to make himself smaller.

I think he's a good all round keeper with the ball and without it and general saves but there is part of me thinks he will have the odd great save but won't pull out the the worldly saves as regularly as mcgregor/klos etc

But he is a very good keeper to have

Did you see the keepers keeping Klos out?

Kahn, Illgner, Lehmann, Kopke…

Germany was absolutely stacked with great keepers during time at both Dortmund and ourselves. Playing in Scotland undoubtedly did him no favours.

He moved to us just 18 months after winning the champions league. I think if he’d have stayed in Germany he’d probably have been capped a few more times.

Klos is in the conversation with Goram and McGregor as our greatest ever goalkeeper (probably no 3 tbf), Butland has a ways to go before he can enter that conversation.

What about Woods?

I know quite a few older Bears that reckon he was our best ever.

Unlike Klos, Goram and McGregor, he would come for crosses and dominate his penalty box.

What about Woods?

I know quite a few older Bears that reckon he was our best ever.

Unlike Klos, Goram and McGregor, he would come for crosses and dominate his penalty box.
I remember when Goram signed, replacing Woods, I thought Andy had a lot to do to prove he was as good.

But, for me, he surpassed him. Goram was absolutely magnificent at times, and I would say that in 1992/93, he was arguably the best 'keeper in Europe, along with maybe Schmeichel.

Yup. The blue tinted specs will be donned. The reality is Klos was never in the reckoning of the German national side (rightly or wrongly). Butland is very much part of the debate about who goes to the euros for one of the tournaments favourites.
Klos was up against Kopke and Kahn.

Butland is up against Pickford and Trafford.

It’s incomparable.

I didn’t know the blue tinted specs meant a preference of one Rangers keeper over another, that’s a new one.

As great as Butland has been for us so far it's no even a full season.

Klos was excellent for several years, won doubles and trebles and captained us. If Jack goes on to do that great and we can compare then. Hopefully he does

We've been lucky to have s few world class footballers at our club and Klos was ine if them

Away n shite, Butland is far superior to Wes.
Is he? He’s only been here a few months.

Folk will remember his flaws but he stopped us from a good few drubbings at times.

I think Butland is a better keeper, but comparing contributions right upto now. Both are bitpart journeymen keepers in comparison to CL winner

There should be an aptitude test to allow people access to the Internet.
Trying to compare someone who’s been in goals for 5 mins against a legend? :rolleyes:

I think Stefan Klos is seriously under rated by a good number of the support because too many focus on the last 2 years he was here.

For a long time under McLeish he was our best and most important player. I remember on here when it was confirmed he had done his knee ligaments and was out for months. Most of us(on the back of Boumsong leaving weeks earlier) thought the league was gone. He was that important.

I think Stefan Klos is seriously under rated by a good number of the support because too many focus on the last 2 years.

For a long time under McLeish he was our best and most important player.
Was outstanding in 02/03 and even though being POTY in 03/04 is not necessarily saying much given how poor we were as a team, he was brilliant individually. Kept the score down in the 3 0 New Years defeat to Celtic.

Hopefully Butland has a treble and a clean sheet or 2 against that mob by the end of the season and can at least enter the conversation but far too early for those comparisons

This is a stupid fuckin thread to being with,

different players from different times,

and absolutely no question who was the better keeper,

lets leave it at that for you who haven't a clue!!

Klos!

Too young to remember Woods, but in my life time it’s Goram, Shagger, Klos in that order. Goram on his day was in a different stratosphere.

Genuinely don’t think there is much between shagger and Klos - Klos was a top top goalkeeper in Europe… after those 3, it is a long long way back to the next best, and in all honesty I think Butland is yet to have done enough to be nailed on as a distant 4th in my lifetime IMO. In the discussion of 4th best, I think Charbonnier (spelling) and Alexander are note worthy along with Butland.

In summary, a nonsense question.

Well for a start you’d have to use something as a reference.

Someone said it’s like comparing McCoist with Dessers, so yes, it is closer than some people on here will claim.
Klos was one of the best goalkeepers in Europe at the time.

Butland is significantly closer to Wes Foderingham in level than being one of the best goalkeepers in Europe at this current moment.

That is the gulf between Klos & Butland.

Unsure whether that satisfies your indication for a reference, but that is “how close” I am willing to admit I think they are.

Butland is a cracking keeper and the standard we deserve. But some people on here banging on about him being one of the best in Europe and worth about 15 million have lost the plot. The answer is Klos and it's not even debatable unless you've lost your mind. We'd be doing well to get half of 15 million for Butland.

Just because one of our players is really good doesn't mean he has to be one of the best in Europe. It's far fetched.

No offence to him as like I said he's been great.

Klos was one of the best goalkeepers in Europe at the time.

Butland is significantly closer to Wes Foderingham in level than being one of the best goalkeepers in Europe at this current moment.

That is the gulf between Klos & Butland.

Unsure whether that satisfies your indication for a reference, but that is “how close” I am willing to admit I think they are.
He’s not significantly closer to Wes Foderingham and that’s exactly what I was getting at.

Back