Can Spurs challenge for the title this season?

No. Agree they’ve had a, so far, decent transfer window. Bissouma is a cracking player and will walk into the first xi but, Richarlison ? If I was troughing up £60m on a player I’d be making sure it was someone who was going to be an odds on starter. I can’t see where he’ll fit into that team without a major upheaval. Are you going to drop Son or Kane ? Doubt it.

I actually rate Conti as almost on a par with Pep & Klopp
If anything - Conti's got more experience of getting results with a less than perfect squad
The trouble is though - City are getting close to a perfect squad & Liverpool aren't far behind
I'm sure Richarlison will help improve Spurs - but he wouldn't improve City or L'pool IMO
On that basis - it might be too tall an order even for Conti

They've had a fairly decent transfer window thus far and have arguably the best coach in World football.

Any chance they could compete with City & Liverpool for the title this year?
Depends what you mean by challenge.

I suspect Man U will come back strong this year and Chelsea to settle, so top 4 should be very interesting.

Conte is a fantastic manager, absolute winner.

I think Liverpool will regress quite a bit this year.

No one will win the league outwith City & Liverpool until Pep & Klopp leave the EPL.

2 world class managers with truly world class squads.

I love how many people are writing them off. They have Conte who is a proven winner. They have some of the best players in the EPL, have had a good transfer window so far and will likely strengthen further. They have every reason to believe they could be in the mix.

Spurs are ma English side

Conte is top drawer and the squad is strong. Richarlison is a clever signing, Perisic is a superb footballer and the midfielder impressed every time I saw him play for Brighton

They’ve still a long way to go to catch the top two though.

A trophy, and quickly, should be the aim

You could copy and paste this thread every year.

The answer will always be the same.

No.

They're shitebags with delusions of grandeur.

Obviously the transfer window isn't shut yet, but I've been impressed with their signings. I think Spurs and Arsenal have done well so far in the transfer market while it seems Chelsea have regressed and Man United haven't done much either. Could be the year Chelsea drop out the top four.

No chance. But I will be going to the pre-season friendly at Ibrox with a mate from work who is a big Spurs fan to check them out versus us....I'm returning a favour cos I wanted to see their 1 billion pound gaff so he managed to get us home tickets v Watford from his old mates down south just before Covid hit UK back in late 2019. Unbelievable stadium as you'd expect and I enjoyed the whole experience. But I'm looking forward to showing him what a real football stadium is like.

Have the poorest defence of the teams that will be competing at the top. Couple of additions to the defence would be needed to have any chance at all imho

Think Conte is an excellent manager and if the new signings click they will be very good, but it’s a big gap to catch city and Liverpool.

No. City have spent so much money over the years on their squad that it will be very difficult for anyone to compete. Spurs should do better but Liverpool, Chelsea and a.n. Other will be top 4, perhaps spurs. They won’t compete for the league though.

Spurs have two big positives at thier side just now. They have a superb manager in Conte who will expect his side to at least challenge the current big 2 and they already have a great forward line in Kane and Son.

What they don't have is that killer winning mentality which explains the trophy drought. That will always drag any good team down.

But Conte will do everything to remedy that but he needs everyone on board to his philosophy. The recent transfers seems to suggest he has the full support from the board but now they need to really beef up the defence. Definitely a team to watch next season.

I expect City and Liverpool to contest it again this season. I agree with the observations that the EPL is becoming a two-horse race.

If this trend continues it could lead to an interesting situation in terms of how sides like ManU, Chelsea, Spurs react.

They would need to get about 25 points more than last season.

Which they won't.
They could do if they capitalise on all the extra free kicks they'll get with Richarlison playing for them now, get enough with Kane. They need to sign Ward Prowse and they're sorted.

I think they can challenge Liverpool for 2nd, but I think this is the year City win the league at a canter.
This.

There is no way Man City are not winning the league with the addition of Haaland. In fact, with that squad you really do wonder when/if we might see another team win the league in the next five years.

Conte is a tremendous manager, but against the financial might of a Pep managed City side it would take some huge event to change the status quo.

It saddens me to say but I think City will win the league with reasonable comfort this season. Unless Salah or Darwin has a season to match Haaland stride for stride but I think that will be difficult. I think Haaland will hit 30 goals this season, especially with the ammunition he will be provided from his team mates. The boy has everything.

As for Spurs I think they will be challenging with Chelsea for best of the rest. They are having a decent window and with Conte at the helm anything can happen.

Back