Can Tav now sit at Sandy's table?

Can't compare them to be honest.

Two completely different times in football, tackles and what was allowed, and the pace of the game.

From a perspective you could argue that Tav is better because he's playing in a much more high paced game against proper athletes.

But then you could argue Jardine had to do it in a time where there were leg breaking tackles that were only considered to be fouls, never mind a yellow let alone red!

It's like two different worlds.

Both earned their place in Rangers history though.

The last day wins were unreal but too young to really appreciate Dunfermline and Helicopter Sunday as you say. Killie 7 minutes was special to me as I was going in for my heart op the next day and that was one moment of sheer joy in a hard time.
I missed the first two goals that day haha.

It’s so difficult to compare a player who played in the 70 & 80s to someone playing in the current era.
If you’re comparing medals, then Tav doesn’t come any where near Sandy.

But you can’t deny Tav’s contribution to Rangers. When Tav retires in the future I think he will go down as one of the best right backs to play for Rangers. Not necessarily with the most medals, but will definitely be remembered and spoken in high regards as the likes of Sandy Jardine..
I had the honor to see Sandy Jardine Play quite simply at his best he was world class. Tav is the best right back at the club since probably Gar Stevens but he is more than just a right back he had to endure playing with duds Kieran as an example while lots of the support blamed him for everything that was wrong. He is a true Ranger and has been a huge part of the journey back luv him as a player his fitness level is second to none. We won’t see a right back so what he has done ever again the goals and assists are unreal. Get the extension signed captain. When he lifted 55 I Cried made an old guy very happy .

I grew up in the 70s and seen the team with Sandy, John Greig, big Tam and Colin Jackson. Main thing I remember is we hardly ever conceded any goals when I was there however I don’t remember Sandy scoring as many goals etc as Tav but for me they are both Rangers legends no question.
Tav has improved so much and has for me his numbers are just incredible also with big Goldson he pretty much plays every game his fitness levels are fantastic. He’s Captain fantastic for me and will be Gio’s first name on the team sheet

I may get banned for this, but a pre injury Danny McGrain was the best right back of that time.
Total nonsense, so much nonsense in fact he couldn’t displace Sandy in the Scotland squad so had to play at left back instead. For what it’s worth I’ve seen every right back since Jardine , just missed Shearer and Tav is a close second because of his goals and assists and service to the club but Jardine could play as a wing back , midfielder and forward too.

I’m interested, what is a Rangers Da ?
Usually given to someone with a baseless and often wrong opinion who won’t be budged based on the fact they always think they are right, just like a Da. No lower age limit need apply

None of them affect my opinion about how good a player he is, they affect comparing him to players from previous generations.

More substitutions allowed, lighter boots, lighter and faster balls, better equipment for training, better equipment for recovering from injuries, better nutrition, better methods for preparing for specific opposition,…

Balls are not lighter.

Given the relationship Tav has with the likes of Ledge and, until his passing, Jimmy Bell, I reckon that had Sandy been around to know Tav, they'd have got on like a house on fire and would absolutely be at that table.

In fact, to see what Tav has achieved with us and personally since he joined without speaking to Sandy, who knows that role inside out and what it means to be a Ranger in the strongest terms, gives further credence to his inclusion.

Tav is a legend and it's only a matter of time before he's a Hall of Famer.

Also cannot believe it's been 8 years since we lost Sandy.

Sandy and Gary Stevens before my time. Tav would now be in my team for my generation at RB.
The guy is unreal season after season and i feel he has a different confidence now. I feel 99% of the fans now love him as Captain and the BS haters have all disappeared.
I watched Walker yesterday for City and ok he has unreal speed but zero final ball and i would not honestly swap him for our Captain.

I know the SPL is overlooked, but it puzzles me how he's not even been given a chance by the England national team, even for a friendly match or whatever.

I know he's up against TAA and Walker but his numbers in Europe last season alone were unbelievable.

I reckon you will struggle to find a better athlete to have ever played for the club.

In terms of right back I think he must be right up there now

Read Sandy’s list of honors and service to our club, then call me when Tav gets close. Until then just be grateful that we get to watch him in this era. He is a fine servant to our club, and a modern day hero, but a long way from being Jardine, Shearer, Stevens or Gray...a very long way.
Jardine,Stevens and Shearer were far better defenders, going forward Jardine and Stevens were excellent but Tav has shown that he's not too far behind them in that respect. One thing I'll say about Tav is that he's as inspirational a captain in his era to the players he has played with as John Greig was to the players Greig played with in his era, albeit Greig played alongside truly top class players. That's not saying Tav was or is a better player or captain than Greig, he is however as inspirational by example in his era as Greig was in his

Usually given to someone with a baseless and often wrong opinion who won’t be budged based on the fact they always think they are right, just like a Da. No lower age limit need apply
I thought it was just pish patter!

Appearances, performances, and especially goals have elevated James Tavernier to a position of one of our elite right backs.

For those who remember how brilliant Sandy Jardine was, can Tav now claim a place to sit at the same table?
A definite yes from me.

Tav can certainly sit at the same table but it is still Sandy's Table.

Jardine was the right back when I started watching Rangers and he was an absolute machine. For me, Tav is the best since Sandy but the quality of opposition is much lower.

In the modern role of Full Back, I believe Tav is in the top four or five in the UK. In the role as it was in Jardine's day, Sandy was one of the top two or three in the World.

I for one will be at his testimonial, he certainly deserves one.
Guy is a legend.
Massive part of our history in Scotland and in Europe.

In my humble opinion, no. Tav is a wonderful player and his worth to our team and Club is huge. Sandy was something else. I still get a lump in my throat whenever I hear - “Sandy , Sandy, Sandy in royal blue”.

While Sandy Jardine was a better defender. Tavernier is far superior in goals and assists. Sandy Jardine was a fantastic player, but he was human and not the superhero god like person some people like to paint him. Tav is probably the best attacking right back we have had in my lifetime, and that includes the Sandy

That's a pertinent question,I'm fortunate enough to have seen Sandy Jardine,Gary Stevens,Alan Hutton and James Tavernier play and they are all excellent Rangers right backs.
In my opinion Sandy Jardine is the best Rangers right back I have ever seen but James Tavernier although he has his faults defensively,he more than makes up with his goals and assists.
So,yes James Tavernier can sit there with Sandy Jardine in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
The phrase legend is banded about willy nilly sometimes, but not in this case. James Tavernier is a Rangers legend. Joined in the championship and captained us to 55 and a Europa final whilst churning out some unprecedented numbers.

He will be a lot more appreciated in 10 years time than he is just now. An absolute legend, no doubt about it. Love him.
Nails it.
I’m of the older generation and Jardine was a truly inspirational full back - way ahead of his time as an attacking full back.
But
I would argue that Tav is more important to the team now than Sandy was then. Am I right in saying that Tav is only a couple behind Hateley in Rangers goals?

I'm lucky enough to have witnessed both Sandy and Tav play for our club.
Comparisons are pointless given the differences in the style and contribution in both eras.
Sandy was the finest full back in the world in his time and I would defy anyone to argue otherwise.
But he was a mainly defensive player and that is where he was most effective whereas Tav is a far more effective attacking full back and that's his strength.
Tav will be legendary in due course but Sandy has a virtually immortal status among older fans already.
Different generations will remember their heroes based on what they have actually seen with their own eyes.

Tav Is already being compared to our great right backs and he’s probably another 3-5 seasons from being closed to finished. That speaks volumes.

At the end of this season I expect him to have surpassed or be right about to pass 400 appearances and join the 100 goals club. Ideally another league title and cup to add to his trophy count as well.

He is genuinely incredible. The amount of big moments he comes up with for us is insane.

Nails it.
I’m of the older generation and Jardine was a truly inspirational full back - way ahead of his time as an attacking full back.
But
I would argue that Tav is more important to the team now than Sandy was then. Am I right in saying that Tav is only a couple behind Hateley in Rangers goals?
Hateley scored 115 I believe. Tav is on 84 - probably next season he will surpass hateley.

I'm lucky enough to have witnessed both Sandy and Tav play for our club.
Comparisons are pointless given the differences in the style and contribution in both eras.
Sandy was the finest full back in the world in his time and I would defy anyone to argue otherwise.
But he was a mainly defensive player and that is where he was most effective whereas Tav is a far more effective attacking full back and that's his strength.
Tav will be legendary in due course but Sandy has a virtually immortal status among older fans already.
Different generations will remember their heroes based on what they have actually seen with their own eyes.
James Tavernier will be the player anyone under 25 compares to all future Rangers full backs and captains over the next 40 years. He is the benchmark. The standard bearer. I love the man.

I'm too young to see Jardine but I feel Tavs a couple of league titles away from being one of our greatest players.

Having seen both Jardine and Tav, I'd be happy to let him sit at the proverbial table.
I don't think you can really compare them like for like though. But Tav will create his own legacy as Sandy Jardine did.
In 20 years time, will the we be asking if someone can sit at Tav's table?

Appearances, performances, and especially goals have elevated James Tavernier to a position of one of our elite right backs.

For those who remember how brilliant Sandy Jardine was, can Tav now claim a place to sit at the same table?
100% yes.

I think Jardine will still be looked on as our greatest ever right back, but Tav can certainly sit next to him and has moved the great Gary Stevens down a place.

I am probably one of the older gentlemen on this forum of gentlemen (and ladies). I only saw a relatively few games that Bobby Shearer and Eric Caldow featured in so cannot really comment. However, I was at the Hearts game the week after Berwick when Sandy made his debut. I have been fortunate to see the vast majority of Sandy Jardine’s, Gary Stevens’ and James Tavernier’s games for us. For what it is worth, I still consider the finest full back I have seen in a Rangers jersey is Sandy Jardine, Tav would be second (more goals than Sandy but not as good a defender) and Gary Stevens third.

I think a comparison is not the best way to look at it unless it’s within the same generation or close.

Tav, in modern football terms has been an absolutely ridiculous purchase. A brilliant signing with many more years to go. He will rightly get a place in the hall of fame and at that point will be able to sit at the same table as legends gone by.

Top player, top man, our captain!

Tav has now scored the same amount of goals as Sandy, 84, in half the number of games, Sandy also took pens and played games in midfield when he first came into the side.

He’s best of the rest for me and we’ll on his way to legendary status. Needs more league titles and domestic cup wins.

Back