Can Tav now sit at Sandy's table?

I always feel there is a certain snobbery when there is talk about certain players being in among the Rangers greats.

Captain James Tavernier has been a fine servant for Rangers and deserves his place.

Winning 55 and smashing The Filths stranglehold on the game is as significant an achievement as almost any other in our history. Getting to a European Final 10 years after being papped into the lower leagues in Scotland is an incredible achievement - the manner in which we did it too was phenomenal.

Sandy Jardine was my favorite growing up. Gary Stevens was a full England International when we bought him and had countless great games for us.

Tav is better. The numbers don’t lie.
But the numbers can add confusion.

When Sandy Jardine strutted his stuff no-one sat in the stand recording “assists” or projecting “ex goals” and players were not wired to performance monitors recording yards covered and heart rate.

Sandy Jardine was Sandy Jardine. He played International Football at World Cup level where he was rated by international ”experts” to be one of the best full backs on the planet.
His games for Rangers were all in the top division.

James Tavernier is James Tavernier, he has matured into a worthy Rangers Captain and an excellent footballer, he is a phenomenal athlete who has proven himself on the European Stage, albeit not yet at Champions League level, hopefully that’s to come, and has made invaluable contribution both in scoring and, to use an older term, laying on goals.

In answer to the question, I’m pretty sure Sandy would happily ask James to dine with him.

Last edited:
Appearances, performances, and especially goals have elevated James Tavernier to a position of one of our elite right backs.

For those who remember how brilliant Sandy Jardine was, can Tav now claim a place to sit at the same table?
Yes, for me he can.
However, only to his right.
Jardine is still top dog in this argument.
Appearances, trophies, versatility, Tavernier has still a bit to go.

Yes, for me he can.
However, only to his right.
Jardine is still top dog in this argument.
Appearances, trophies, versatility, Tavernier has still a bit to go.

I agree with all that Tazza, although even Sandy had barren years as a Gers player.

It actually took him 9 years to win his 1st league title.

He really isn’t...and it would appear that a succession of England managers appear to agree with me rather than you. Give me a shout when Tav has played another 47 games for England. He is a terrific player in a poor Scottish game, he is not even International class, put your sensible head on.
Nothing to do with England , we are talking about , what he has done for Rangers .

Tav is great but Sandy was one of the best full-backs in the world who made about twice as many appearances for the Gers as Tav has (so far).

Tav would definitely be Sandy's right hand man, Stevens was excellent but also had his frailties. As for Captain Cutlass he was a tremendous defender and a great Captain but took a nose bleed if he crossed the halfway line don't remember him scoring a goal

What is a Rangers Da? Me and my son have had season tickets for 6 years he now 18 and a suppose am a Rangers Da but a love Tav
Correct, it's right at the top of the ''cringeometer''. I guess as someone who watched Jardine in his pomp I could be labelled a Rangers Granda, however our current captain fully deserves to be bracketed amongst our greats in that position.

It's just a couple of years since the only Tav threads in here wanted him dropped and sold.

Tav is fast approaching becoming one of my favourite ever Rangers. Few people have been through as much with the club as he has and, while he hasn't been perfect, he's never let us down through lack of effort and continually seems to get better.

I‘ve watched both players and Tav has absolutely earned the right to spoken of in the same glowing terms as Sandy.

The biggest difference between the two has been the players around each and circumstance. Sandy played in brilliant sides surrounded by winners. Tav loyally struggled on with top performances week after week, surrounded by players and charlatan managers and directors who should never have been anywhere near our club.

The past three or four seasons have seen Tav finally blossom in a team and environment befitting his undoubted ability.

I’ll go to my grave acknowledging Tav as one of our greatest right backs in my lifetime and, when he finally shuffles off his own mortal coil, I’ll wager Sandy will
be the first to welcome him to the table of Rangers legends.

I am probably one of the older gentlemen on this forum of gentlemen (and ladies). I only saw a relatively few games that Bobby Shearer and Eric Caldow featured in so cannot really comment. However, I was at the Hearts game the week after Berwick when Sandy made his debut. I have been fortunate to see the vast majority of Sandy Jardine’s, Gary Stevens’ and James Tavernier’s games for us. For what it is worth, I still consider the finest full back I have seen in a Rangers jersey is Sandy Jardine, Tav would be second (more goals than Sandy but not as good a defender) and Gary Stevens third.
Jardine secures 1st spot for me because he didn't have a weakness. Quick enough whereby he was rarely exposed in that department, skilled enough to play a significant amount of games in midfield, and sufficiently good enough in the air that he finished his career at Hearts playing in central defence. For me the list now reads 1 Jardine, 2 Tavernier, 3 Stevens.

Over and above his amazing stats, Tav just captained us to a European cup final, being the tournament's top goal scorer and getting in the Eurpoa league team of the year.

Tav will be remembered as a Rangers legend IMO, and the story isn't over yet, hopefully by a long way.

In my lifetime, I can’t see beyond Richard Gough as the definitive Rangers captain. I remember reading in his book how even after leaving Rangers, he still saw himself as representing Rangers and he would never do anything that might embarrass the club. He just had that classy, stoic attitude on and off the park.

Tav is definitely this generations Gough though and in my opinion, the closest captain that I’ve seen to Gough in terms of how much he’s just taken Rangers as a lifestyle rather than just an occupation.

A lot of agreement on this thread. I won’t add much to it. It’s all been said already.

Having seen both play, all I’ll say is that Tav’s name doesn’t look out of place alongside Sandy’s.

Both club legends and, as always, it’ll be when they’ve gone that we’ll realise exactly what we had.

I am probably one of the older gentlemen on this forum of gentlemen (and ladies). I only saw a relatively few games that Bobby Shearer and Eric Caldow featured in so cannot really comment. However, I was at the Hearts game the week after Berwick when Sandy made his debut. I have been fortunate to see the vast majority of Sandy Jardine’s, Gary Stevens’ and James Tavernier’s games for us. For what it is worth, I still consider the finest full back I have seen in a Rangers jersey is Sandy Jardine, Tav would be second (more goals than Sandy but not as good a defender) and Gary Stevens third.
I am similar generation to Meik's and often watched Shearer and Caldow, l knew they were good,(Caldow was exceptional, an attacking full back before almost anyone) Shearer was solid and a true Rangers Man. Sandy Jardine was a whole different case, he had it all, speed, toughness and great vision, it's also true that Danny McGrain was also first class but had to move to accommodate Sandy. I also rate him as our best ever. Our present Captain is heading to real greatness, he has it all and is the fittest player l have ever seen. I love the fact that he is not "Jim" or "Jimmy" but always James. Sandy and James would share an excellent lunch with vintage claret, the finest cheese board followed by Bowmore 18 and Fortnums Truffles. We are indeed "the People".

Appearances, performances, and especially goals have elevated James Tavernier to a position of one of our elite right backs.

For those who remember how brilliant Sandy Jardine was, can Tav now claim a place to sit at the same table?
Absolutely!

Full backs back then had a very different role -much less attack minded!
Most of the above would not be seen in the opponents penalty box except in rare occasions while Tav is in there every game!
Sandy Jardine was very much an attack minded full back also when playing for Scotland.
He had an engine in him like an athlete only this athlete was the best in his position I've ever seen in a Rangers jersey.
I witnessed a goal by Jardine which would have bean a world beater only for Davie Cooper to eclipse it with his keepy up goal against the ceptic.
It sure is hard comparing likes through different generations especially if you never seen certain players.
Tav is a great player and his goals and assists speak volumes but for me hes not in the same class of player as Jardine and many many after tried but never will be imo.

My old man who’s been following Rangers since the early 60s rates Tav as the 2nd greatest RB the club has had after Jardine. Even rates him above Gary Stevens who he absolutely loved when he was at the club.

I’ve been going since the late 90s and would day Tav has been the best in my time.

He is more than a "fine Rangers player".

What changes to "rules, equipment, and more", affects your opinion about how good a right back is?
Maybe not rules as such but football has definately changed

It's faster balls/fitness etc, full backs defending is only part of it now, the game has changed comparing positions now is difficult except gk and even then keepers now are expected to better with the ball.

Absolutely he does and let's not forget the loyalty this man has shown towards our club and support. James played through some dark years in the lower Leagues without complaining and wanting away.

Tav wears that arm band with great pride and I believe he loves playing for Rangers and enjoys playing in front of the supporters, who wouldn't. Good luck for the season Captain.

At the 74 world Cup Jardine had a claim to being the best right back in the world , whilst I love what Tav brings to the team he is a level below Jardine in his prime which is no disrespect to Tav who is a really good player but he will never get a look in at International level .

Not into this comparing nonsense,let’s just enjoy the fact that Tav is our Captain and a fantastic player.

At the 74 world Cup Jardine had a claim to being the best right back in the world , whilst I love what Tav brings to the team he is a level below Jardine in his prime which is no disrespect to Tav who is a really good player but he will never get a look in at International level .
He would if he could play for Scotland

I always feel there is a certain snobbery when there is talk about certain players being in among the Rangers greats.

Captain James Tavernier has been a fine servant for Rangers and deserves his place.

Winning 55 and smashing The Filths stranglehold on the game is as significant an achievement as almost any other in our history. Getting to a European Final 10 years after being papped into the lower leagues in Scotland is an incredible achievement - the manner in which we did it too was phenomenal.
He can sit at Sandy's table anytime.

I"d still say Jardine was a better player than Tav. He played and starred in the 1974 WC Finals, he played in Argentina in 1978. He could play anywhere on the pitch as well.

Tav has matured into an excellent RB with tremendous numbers to his game. He's a machine when it comes to fitness and reliability.

We're lucky to have had both at Ibrox.

Eras are different.

And stalwarts from each era should really only be judged against their contemporaries. However, comparisons are always made that transcend eras and that’s fine. Put simply, Tav can’t defend as well as Jardine or Stevens. But he can attack as well as and outscore both of those guys. Does that make him a better or poorer player? Depends on your point of view.

He’s up against guys who played international football. Can standout performances in Europe and hopefully the CL offset that? Again, that depends on your pov.

What I reckon is certain though, is that James Tavernier will be a HoF inductee in the fullness of time.

His match winner yesterday was exemplary and underlines how far he has come in terms of his importance to this Rangers side.

Tom Miller said that was Tav's 84th Rangers goal (Wiki says 57 !!!!) If Tom's correct then only 4 more and he'll surpass John Greig's tally of 87 (Wiki)....and in only approx half the games 239 as opposed to 498, again Wiki stats.

Can any one confirm with more acuracy ?

As a youngster Sandy Jardine was and still is my absolute hero. I would have no problem whatsoever if Tav joined Sandy at that table.

Jardine was a far better defender who could tackle hard and had a great football brain to mop up any trouble. Didn’t have the speed that Tav has though wonder how Tav would have coped on muddy and frozen winter pitches and a heavier ball. Difficult to compare the two but Tav has been through one of the most challenging times in our history and Captained us to a European final. That will ensure his place as a Rangers legend.

Hutton in his purple patch is the best right back I've ever seen for us. A genuine driving force in every game whether it was in the Champions League or the League Cup. I don't think Tavernier has ever hit those heights but might eclipse it this year if we make it into the group stages and he has the same kind of performances at that level.

Unfortunately I missed the best of Sandy, but in my time he’s the best right back we’ve had although appreciate gary Stevens has a compelling argument, a guy who was brilliant for us.

Absolutely he does and let's not forget the loyalty this man has shown towards our club and support. James played through some dark years in the lower Leagues without complaining and wanting away.

Tav wears that arm band with great pride and I believe he loves playing for Rangers and enjoys playing in front of the supporters, who wouldn't. Good luck for the season Captain.
I love Tav but he joined in the championship when his career wasn’t looking great, let’s no romance it

There is no doubting that Tav has been a key player, possibly the key player, for us over the last couple of seasons but to consider him as an equal to Sandy Jardine is, for me, way of the mark. Sandy Jardine, in his time at Rangers, was a world class full back. I would suggest, respectfully, that Tav has not quite reached that level. However, what puts Sandy Jardine head and shoulders above Tav is what he did for the club after he finished playing especially being the focal point for the protestations back in 2012. Sandy Jardine"s DNA is in Rangers Football Club and Rangers Football Club's DNA was in Sandy Jardine. I think when we can start saying that about Tav then we can consider them as equals.

He really isn’t...and it would appear that a succession of England managers appear to agree with me rather than you. Give me a shout when Tav has played another 47 games for England. He is a terrific player in a poor Scottish game, he is not even International class, put your sensible head on.

"not even international class"

wtf is this utter nonsense I'm reading?

Because he's not played for England matters not, he could comfortably play played for at least 95% of the World's nations.

But the numbers can add confusion.

When Sandy Jardine strutted his stuff no-one sat in the stand recording “assists” or projecting “ex goals” and players were not wired to performance monitors recording yards covered and heart rate.

Sandy Jardine was Sandy Jardine. He played International Football at World Cup level where he was rated by international ”experts” to be one of the best full backs on the planet.
His games for Rangers were all in the top division.

James Tavernier is James Tavernier, he has matured into a worthy Rangers Captain and an excellent footballer, he is a phenomenal athlete who has proven himself on the European Stage, albeit not yet at Champions League level, hopefully that’s to come, and has made invaluable contribution both in scoring and, to use an older term, laying on goals.

In answer to the question, I’m pretty sure Sandy would happily ask James to dine with him.
Excellent reply,can't agree with you more.

When Tav finally stops playing for Rangers he will rightly go down as a Rangers legend. Over the next 4 years he will win his fair amount of silverware im sure of it.

From where we where as a club when he joined to where we are now is incredible. He lead our club out in a European Final that can never be taken from him although not the ending we wanted.

Hes matured into a proper captain for sure.

Latest posts

Back