Can Tav now sit at Sandy's table?

Angus Og

Appearances, performances, and especially goals have elevated James Tavernier to a position of one of our elite right backs.

For those who remember how brilliant Sandy Jardine was, can Tav now claim a place to sit at the same table?

Tav has been a phenomenal player for us and a harshly treated one at that, sadly there are still "Rangers Da's" who give him pelters every week no matter what he does. Only thing I will say, is he should have far more honors against his name as a Rangers player. The Scottish Cup final 2016, The League Cup final 2019 and last season's League Title are the obvious ones.

However, I love the guy, an incredible athlete and his numbers as a right back will stack up for the rest of time.

Sandy Jardine was before my time. I was born in 1990. I can confidently say, that Tav is the best right back I've ever seen at Rangers in my time supporting the club.

He adds an insane amount of goals to our team. He's on the way to scoring a 100 goals for Rangers and he's a right back, that is mental. It's not just that though, he's a playmaker, a catalyst for the entire team and he's grown into wearing that armband.

I'm not a fan of comparing former Rangers. Tav in his own right has earned a deserved and prominent place in our club's history.
I’m with you on that. It’s unfair because there have been so many changes to rules, equipment and more over the years. He can’t be compared and doesn’t deserve to be compared. In his own right he has been and continues to be a fine Rangers player.

I’m with you on that. It’s unfair because there have been so many changes to rules, equipment and more over the years. He can’t be compared and doesn’t deserve to be compared. In his own right he has been and continues to be a fine Rangers player.
He is more than a "fine Rangers player".

What changes to "rules, equipment, and more", affects your opinion about how good a right back is?

It’s so difficult to compare a player who played in the 70 & 80s to someone playing in the current era.
If you’re comparing medals, then Tav doesn’t come any where near Sandy.

But you can’t deny Tav’s contribution to Rangers. When Tav retires in the future I think he will go down as one of the best right backs to play for Rangers. Not necessarily with the most medals, but will definitely be remembered and spoken in high regards as the likes of Sandy Jardine..

Tav has been a phenomenal player for us and a harshly treated one at that, sadly there are still "Rangers Da's" who give him pelters every week no matter what he does. Only thing I will say, is he should have far more honors against his name as a Rangers player. The Scottish Cup final 2016, The League Cup final 2019 and last season's League Title are the obvious ones.

However, I love the guy, an incredible athlete and his numbers as a right back will stack up for the rest of time.
What is a Rangers Da? Me and my son have had season tickets for 6 years he now 18 and a suppose am a Rangers Da but a love Tav

What is a Rangers Da? Me and my son have had season tickets for 6 years he now 18 and a suppose am a Rangers Da but a love Tav
Just a sarcastic post mate re' the usual "get it in the box" and "%^*& sake Tav" brigade. It wasn't an actual dig at all Father's who attend Ibrox, or support Rangers.

While Sandy Jardine was a better defender. Tavernier is far superior in goals and assists. Sandy Jardine was a fantastic player, but he was human and not the superhero god like person some people like to paint him. Tav is probably the best attacking right back we have had in my lifetime, and that includes the Sandy Jardine time.

He is more than a "fine Rangers player".

What changes to "rules, equipment, and more", affects your opinion about how good a right back is?
None of them affect my opinion about how good a player he is, they affect comparing him to players from previous generations.

More substitutions allowed, lighter boots, lighter and faster balls, better equipment for training, better equipment for recovering from injuries, better nutrition, better methods for preparing for specific opposition,…

Rubbish.

He's very close, especially to Stevens.
He really isn’t...and it would appear that a succession of England managers appear to agree with me rather than you. Give me a shout when Tav has played another 47 games for England. He is a terrific player in a poor Scottish game, he is not even International class, put your sensible head on.

Rubbish.

He's very close, especially to Stevens.
Read Sandy’s list of honors and service to our club, then call me when Tav gets close. Until then just be grateful that we get to watch him in this era. He is a fine servant to our club, and a modern day hero, but a long way from being Jardine, Shearer, Stevens or Gray...a very long way.
Full backs back then had a very different role -much less attack minded!
Most of the above would not be seen in the opponents penalty box except in rare occasions while Tav is in there every game!

He really isn’t...and it would appear that a succession of England managers appear to agree with me rather than you. Give me a shout when Tav has played another 47 games for England. He is a terrific player in a poor Scottish game, he is not even International class, put your sensible head on.

No England manager will ever pick a player playing in Scotland again. Times have changed since the late 80s and early 90s.

Our captain is comfortably our best Right Back since Gary Stevens.

I remember in one of his first games at Ibrox in a Petrofac group game, he chased the ball about 50 yards, kept it in play, backheeled it past the opponent and got a cross in. There was a standing ovation around the ground for his effort. It was incredible.

Appearances, performances, and especially goals have elevated James Tavernier to a position of one of our elite right backs.

For those who remember how brilliant Sandy Jardine was, can Tav now claim a place to sit at the same table?
My first Gers match was in 1967 (Rangers Gran Da BTW) so I remember well, the Brilliant Sandy Jardine who is so deserving of the Stand that is named after him.

PS; To answer your question, it's a Yes, from me, Tav would be the most welcome of guests, at that fine Table Bud.

Last edited:
Ive seen Sandy and Tav playing and obviously due to todays training and holistic approach to fitness Tav is the better athlete. Sandy though had a better football brain in my opinion and could sense danger and snuff it out. He also chipped in with a few goals. Tav is a more complete player and is much more attack minded. I love both of them and picking a favourite is like asking you to select a favourite child.

No but there is probably a handful that can. Tav is a Rangers legend tho and easily the best RB I’ve seen at the club being born in 91.

I’ll give you that he won’t ever get England caps nor should he as better infront but also give him credit for captaining us in which is arguably our most consistent European spell since the 61-72.

I remember in one of his first games at Ibrox in a Petrofac group game, he chased the ball about 50 yards, kept it in play, backheeled it past the opponent and got a cross in. There was a standing ovation around the ground for his effort. It was incredible.
6-2 Easter road. Great day Halliday scored a beauty

The phrase legend is banded about willy nilly sometimes, but not in this case. James Tavernier is a Rangers legend. Joined in the championship and captained us to 55 and a Europa final whilst churning out some unprecedented numbers.

He will be a lot more appreciated in 10 years time than he is just now. An absolute legend, no doubt about it. Love him.

The phrase legend is banded about willy nilly sometimes, but not in this case. James Tavernier is a Rangers legend. Joined in the championship and captained us to 55 and a Europa final whilst churning out some unprecedented numbers.

He will be a lot more appreciated in 10 years time than he is just now. An absolute legend, no doubt about it. Love him.
After that championship win they should carve all their names in gold.

I loved 9iar and that team, but that 55 team and that win is my favourite ever. Even thinking about that season gets me all warm and fuzzy.
Me too mate my bro in law was trying to get the nephew in to football before then but it’s difficult at times when we are really poor. That season felt like a massive change in the outlook from the youth. Gerrard deserves all respect regardless of how it ended.

Me too mate my bro in law was trying to get the nephew in to football before then but it’s difficult at times when we are really poor. That season felt like a massive change in the outlook from the youth. Gerrard deserves all respect regardless of how it ended.
I think especially for ourselves although we seem tail end of 9IAR given our ages 55 will always be the best only one close is probably helicopter Sunday even then at Easter road I was only 15

I was sober for the bud and game think I got home at about 6pm the next day
Worst I remember from those years was a game we lost at Tynecastle and I watched in the pub having been out the night before right through. Was determined I wasn’t drunk wnd going back out until my mum found me with my head stuck in the fridge after decking it right in. Sent to my bed covered in lettuce.

I think especially for ourselves although we seem tail end of 9IAR given our ages 55 will always be the best only one close is probably helicopter Sunday even then at Easter road I was only 15
The last day wins were unreal but too young to really appreciate Dunfermline and Helicopter Sunday as you say. Killie 7 minutes was special to me as I was going in for my heart op the next day and that was one moment of sheer joy in a hard time.

Massive season. Massive pressure. And they delivered for the fans in style. I'll be forever grateful to Gerrard and the group of players. A true watershed moment.

The togetherness and team spirit of that team warms my heart. And it still remains, with Tav at the heart of it. Last season was a bit of a hiccup (league wise), I truly believe we're bringing the league trophy home this season.

Sandy Jardine was my favorite growing up. Gary Stevens was a full England International when we bought him and had countless great games for us.

Tav is better. The numbers don’t lie.

Back