Captaincy up for grabs - The Sun

11huistra11

Lee Wallace WON’T be Rangers captain next season as Steven Gerrard assess potential candidates in Spain

STEVEN GERRARD has challenged his players to prove to him they can lead the Rangers revolution.

The Ibrox boss is on the lookout for a new captain for next season — and is using the club’s Spanish training camp to assess the potential candidates.

Gerrard is desperate to find an inspirational and motivational leader.

But current club captain Lee Wallace will NOT continue in his post even if he is welcomed back into the fold following internal disciplinary procedures.

Asked when he would name his skipper Gerrard said: “When I am ready, when I see that standout guy who can be the captain of this club.

“I see it as a very important role. All over the park you need leadership and you need leadership off the park as well.

“Having chats with the staff, in all the departments, I have told them I want them all to be leaders and all understand why we are here

“We are here for this club and to get the best out of these players.

“We are a support network for these players and we need to make sure they get the right service in all departments.”

I hope it’s McGregor.

It should be someone who’s a proven winner and someone who relishes big occasions. Goldson might be a good leader on the park but we have no idea how he’ll cope with the pressure of being expected to win every game and the pressures of going toe to toe with the Scum.

McGregor ticks all the boxes.

I hope it’s McGregor.

It should be someone who’s a proven winner and someone who relishes big occasions. Goldson might be a good leader on the park but we have no idea how he’ll cope with the pressure of being expected to win every game and the pressures of going toe to toe with the Scum.

McGregor ticks all the boxes.
Rightly or wrongly. As soon as you give it to McGregor you are telling the squad he's the number one keeper.

McGregor a stick on surely. Been here before, winner, not afraid to shout his opinion and an elder statesman while some of our younger players develop their leadership skills.

The only players who showed any qualities of a captain last season were McCrorie and Rossiter.. so it’s got to be Greegsy or someone who’s not arrived yet

In all seriousness it has to be someone who’s likely to start week in week out for us and currently that narrows it down to

Tavernier
Goldson
Arfield
John

Right now I think every other position is up for grabs between current squad and potential new players coming in.

As much as I want McGregor to be number one, personally I don’t like a keeper being captain.

Personally I think Gerrard will want a lieutenant on the pitch, someone he knows and trusts completely to deliver the right message at the right time.

Taking this theory into account, you would perhaps look at someone with whom he has played with and is vastly experienced and therefore I would guess that the captain in question is not at the club as of yet.

See the negative thing about a keeper being captain, he’s often so far away from the action.

We need to be aggressive next season and challenging the referees on decisions that go against us and being involved in any discussions on the park. McGregor can’t exsctly do that when he is 50+ yards away.

In all seriousness it has to be someone who’s likely to start week in week out for us and currently that narrows it down to

Tavernier
Goldson
Arfield
John

Right now I think every other position is up for grabs between current squad and potential new players coming in.

As much as I want McGregor to be number one, personally I don’t like a keeper being captain.
I don’t see Tavernier or John as captain material. Don’t know whether the other two are suited, but I think we may still sign a natural captain.

I honestly think there's a few big surprises coming to us ... Maybe one of those . McGregor can resume his old role of being a moaning bastard and keeping everyone on their toes .

McGregor is the kind of guy I want but I don’t want a keeper as Captain. I want someone who is able to have a soothing word in a young player’s ear at the half way line or muster the troops at corners and free kicks. Keepers can’t do that for obvious reasons.

Alves is the obvious choice. If he is good enough to play in the World Cup finals, he should be good enough to be our captain.

Back