Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

It's behind a paywall buddy.
A victim of one of Britain’s most prolific paedophiles has called Celtic FC’s failure to take responsibility for widespread abuse at its feeder club a “kick in the teeth” for those who were targeted.
Steve Walters, 47, helped to set up the Offside Trust, a charity for survivors of abuse at football clubs, after being sexually assaulted by Barry Bennell while playing for Crewe Alexandra in the 1980s.

He has accused the Parkhead club of burying its head in the sand and urged it to apologise for the abuse suffered by members of the Celtic Boys Club.
The Times disclosed yesterday that the Scottish and English FAs are investigating a “partnership” between Jim McCafferty, a former Celtic kitman and boys coach, and Bennell, 65, who worked with young players at Manchester City and Crewe.

McCafferty, 73, was jailed last week for abusing boys over a 24-year period, while Bennell is serving a 30-year sentence for offences against youngsters on an “industrial scale” in England. McCafferty was the fourth man with connections to Celtic Boys Club to be convicted for abusing children in recent months.
Celtic has expressed sympathy for the victims but insists the boys’ club is separate and not its responsibility.
Mr Walters described the club’s stance as deeply disappointing. “Celtic appear to be taking advice from their lawyers and keeping quiet,” he said.
“It’s a kick in the teeth for the people who suffered dreadful abuse. They are burying their head in the sand, but it doesn’t have to be like that.” He said Manchester City had issued a public apology and begun a “survivors’ scheme” to provide compensation to victims of Bennell.
Mr Walters said: “My message to Celtic would be ‘it’s not too late to do the right thing’. They need to step up and show some responsibility and accountability. An acknowledgement and an apology would be a good start.”
A source close to the Independent Review of Sexual Abuse in Scottish Football said there would be full disclosure in relation to criminality and co-operation involving Bennell and McCafferty. The Timesunderstands that its final report will contain evidence that McCafferty took youngsters from Glasgow to tournaments in northwest England where they were introduced to Bennell.
Thompsons Solicitors believes that McCafferty was part of a UK-wide football paedophile ring involving Bennell and others. Patrick McGuire, a partner with the firm, said: “Previously Celtic have peddled the line that there is no connection between Celtic FC and Celtic Boys Club. Since McCafferty’s most recent conviction there has been utter silence from the club.
“I take it, on one level, to be a positive sign that perhaps they have taken a long hard look at themselves and realised that line no longer washes. However, it is nowhere near as good as a formal response which recognises the wrongs that were done in their name.”
Yesterday a former Celtic Boys Club manager jailed for abusing young footballers lost a bid to be released on bail while appealing against his conviction. Frank Cairney, 83, was sentenced to four years in prison in February on nine charges dating back to the 1980s. He had asked for bail on health grounds but the request was turned down by a judge at the Appeal Court in Edinburgh.
Celtic did not respond to a request for comment.

What's Alex Thomson of Channel 4 saying about all of this? Somebody ask him on twitter?

Also, what's Ill Phil's angle on it?

Hugh Keevins?
Chris Sutton?
Andy Walker?
Davie Provan?
Frank Mcavennie?
Gerry Colins?
Nil by Mouth?
Nicola Sturgeon?
Neil Lennon?
The SNP?
The SPFL?
The Labour Party?
The Tories?
Justice Minister Yousaf?
Anybody?
This one will be co-ordinating the going missing of the evidence.

It would an interesting thread if as many as possible of us sought one out each and posted their response.
Why? Every single one of us would be called a liar or a point scorer despite all the facts and trials that are staring them in the face, they just wont admit to anything.
Btw I have pointed out to more than one so I know that what Ive said is true.

Why? Every single one of us would be called a liar or a point scorer despite all the facts and trials that are staring them in the face, they just wont admit to anything.
Btw I have pointed out to more than one so I know that what Ive said is true.
Fair enough however I have not raised this with any yet, largely as I have very limited contact with any these days. Shall attempt to find one and raise the subject with interest.

Fair enough however I have not raised this with any yet, largely as I have very limited contact with any these days. Shall attempt to find one and raise the subject with interest.
I wouldn't bother, you will be hitting your head against a brick wall as you will get the same response we all get, if you've managed not to interact with the (unts then I would advise you to stay well away.

Our club should make a public donation to the Offside Charity.

Wear a specially commissioned shirt with Offside as an extra sponsor in one match. Maybe our first highest profile match of the season?
Would be talked about nationally with the irony of having offside written on the shirt. And highlight the problem further afield.

Making a statement in the programme about openess and transparency and the need for a full public enquiry involving all clubs. (Avoiding the point scoring pish accusations)

Offside Trust is a charity for survivors of abuse at football.

The politicians and police in this country are not interested in pursuing this matter and although it has been getting increasing coverage in the press, there is no outrage or calls for a public enquiry or potential punishments the vermin might face.
There is a reason for the wall of silence around the shitpit. They must still be confident they have enough friends in high places to ensure they escape scot free from all this.

A second Celtic Boys' Club boss molested youngsters.

For 20 years Frank Cairney - known as the Godfather of Celtic youth - abused innocent young hopefuls who adored him.

The 56-year-old bachelor has always emphatically denied all sex claims.

But after the Daily Record's explosive revelations about Cairney's pal Jim Torbett, dozens of ex-Celtic boys have contacted us about their former general manager.

And they all tell a sordid tale of the man who was the mentor to many Celtic greats.

One, now 32, said: "He put his hand down my shorts and started to fondle me.

"I left his room crying."

Another ex-Celtic boy, 26-year-old Scott Sinclair, came forward after the Record's expose.

The former goalkeeper told how Cairney regularly fondled boys in the front of his white Ford Cortina.

Scott said: "Frank wouldn't let you travel with your bag. It always had to go in the boot."

Calls have jammed the Record switchboard to tell of abuse by Cairney from more than 20 years ago.

Cairney quit as general manager following an incident while he was on tour with Celtic Boys' Club in America.

New York police had been called in after an incident involving a young Celtic boy. But the case was closed because the boy did not make an official complaint to the Sexual Assault and Victims Unit.

At the same time, Cairney also resigned from the coaching staff at Parkhead.

He said at the time: "I'm no bogey man."

But the Record can reveal that the man who was the most respected figure in youth football, was a sick pervert who preyed on youngsters.

When Tommy Burns was appointed Parkhead boss in 1994, he tried to bring his mentor Frank Cairney back to Parkhead.

But the move to end his three year exile was blocked by Celtic chief Fergus McCann.

Last night at his home in Viewpark, Uddingston, Cairney said: "I have nothing whatsoever to say. Speak to my lawyers."

Tommy Burns was also at Cairney's house to give him his support.

He said: "He has the whole of my backing and that of Celtic Football Club to a man.

"He has trained some of the great names of Celtic, including Roy Aitken, Paul McStay, George McCluskey, Alan Brazil, Pat Nevin, Peter Grant, Andy Ritchie and myself.

"Ever since I knew him he's been a great friend and a great influence on me and a lot of other players who had the pleasure of playing on his team."
COPYRIGHT 1996 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 1996 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

For 20 years Frank Cairney - known as the Godfather of Celtic youth - abused innocent young hopefuls who adored him.

But after the Daily Record's explosive revelations about Cairney's pal Jim Torbett, dozens of ex-Celtic boys have contacted us about their former general manager.

And they all tell a sordid tale of the man who was the mentor to many Celtic greats.

Another ex-Celtic boy, 26-year-old Scott Sinclair, came forward after the Record's expose.

The former goalkeeper told how Cairney regularly fondled boys in the front of his white Ford Cortina.

Scott said: "Frank wouldn't let you travel with your bag. It always had to go in the boot."

Calls have jammed the Record switchboard to tell of abuse by Cairney from more than 20 years ago.

Cairney quit as general manager following an incident while he was on tour with Celtic Boys' Club in America.

New York police had been called in after an incident involving a young Celtic boy. But the case was closed because the boy did not make an official complaint to the Sexual Assault and Victims Unit.

But the Record can reveal that the man who was the most respected figure in youth football, was a sick pervert who preyed on youngsters.

When Tommy Burns was appointed Parkhead boss in 1994, he tried to bring his mentor Frank Cairney back to Parkhead.

But the move to end his three year exile was blocked by Celtic chief Fergus McCann.

Last night at his home in Viewpark, Uddingston, Cairney said: "I have nothing whatsoever to say. Speak to my lawyers."

He said: "He has the whole of my backing and that of Celtic Football Club to a man.

"He has trained some of the great names of Celtic, including Roy Aitken, Paul McStay, George McCluskey, Alan Brazil, Pat Nevin, Peter Grant, Andy Ritchie and myself.

"Ever since I knew him he's been a great friend and a great influence on me and a lot of other players who had the pleasure of playing on his team."

No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Those comments from burns are really quite alarming.

Those comments from burns are really quite alarming.
It's actually inconceivable that Burns didn't know what Cairney was.

You have to then ask what his motivation was for sticking up for him. Was he just being a good Christian - as he always claimed to be - or was it something more sinister?

The English press will notice. I even think it’ll be too much for the Scottish press to stomach if they go “alright alright it was out fault, please have some money and leave us alone!”

The English press will be more concerned with the abuse within English football, as was evident yesterday with the Bob Higgins revelations.

There will be a few who break ranks in Scotland, mainly in the interests of balance, but I doubt it’ll be the sort of blanket coverage we should expect for crimes of this magnitude - not just the abuse, but the cover up too.

The English press will be more concerned with the abuse within English football, as was evident yesterday with the Bob Higgins revelations.

There will be a few who break ranks in Scotland, mainly in the interests of balance, but I doubt it’ll be the sort of blanket coverage we should expect for crimes of this magnitude - not just the abuse, but the cover up too.

If it hits front pages in English papers, celtics name will be there along with the criminals and abusers. And if it gets that far it might just hit the US news since they’ve been personally affected by stuff like this from the Penn State crimes.

Re: Tommy Burns...I knew quite a few lads that played under him at Celtic and every one of them said he was brilliant. I doubt he'd be an abuser, if anything I think he might've been a victim of Cairney and co.

Re: Tommy Burns...I knew quite a few lads that played under him at Celtic and every one of them said he was brilliant. I doubt he'd be an abuser, if anything I think he might've been a victim of Cairney and co.
A form of Stockholm Syndrome maybe.

I think someone started one but it was shut down.

That’s shocking. If it had been us we’d all be talking about it. Then again we would never have covered it up in the first place.

I don’t know much about Burns but I’ve always felt if he was liked by Walter and Ally then he’s fine by me.

Ex player and Manager Lou Macari confirms that the abuse was an open secret at Celtic FC

Football, My Life ‘ Lou Macari

Away from first-team and club matters, which were bad enough, another issue was beginning to raise its ugly head at the club. Within a month of my arrival one of the young players asked to see me in my office. 'Here we go,' I thought. 'That didn't take long. Here's a youngster in to complain about not being in the team. Straight away he's going to be into me to give him his chance.' He sat down and told me that he had had problems on a trip to North America with the youth team. One of the fellas in charge had made advances towards him.

As a manager you expect to have to sort out all sorts of problems. But this wasn't one I ever saw coming. I was staggered. To be frank, I didn't know how to respond for the best. Clearly the kid was distressed about what had happened, but I felt I couldn't just approach the accused and ask him to explain himself without proof. My hands were tied, in a way. I felt completely stuck and out of my depth. I spoke to my staff. They were shocked. My gut feeling was that the kid was speaking the truth, but there was no mechanism within the club or within my experience to deal with it. It was a police matter if anything. Any investigation had to start with them.

Ex player and Manager Lou Macari confirms that the abuse was an open secret at Celtic FC

Football, My Life ‘ Lou Macari

Away from first-team and club matters, which were bad enough, another issue was beginning to raise its ugly head at the club. Within a month of my arrival one of the young players asked to see me in my office. 'Here we go,' I thought. 'That didn't take long. Here's a youngster in to complain about not being in the team. Straight away he's going to be into me to give him his chance.' He sat down and told me that he had had problems on a trip to North America with the youth team. One of the fellas in charge had made advances towards him.

As a manager you expect to have to sort out all sorts of problems. But this wasn't one I ever saw coming. I was staggered. To be frank, I didn't know how to respond for the best. Clearly the kid was distressed about what had happened, but I felt I couldn't just approach the accused and ask him to explain himself without proof. My hands were tied, in a way. I felt completely stuck and out of my depth. I spoke to my staff. They were shocked. My gut feeling was that the kid was speaking the truth, but there was no mechanism within the club or within my experience to deal with it. It was a police matter if anything. Any investigation had to start with them.

Then why wasn't it? I'm fully willing to accept it was a difficult situation and it could be hard to know immediately what to say. But what I can't accept is surely you'd quickly realise there's nothing I can do here and you would contact the police. Why just do nothing when that boy needs your help. He's turned to you in faith you'll do something...and nothing happens?!

So who was aware of the abuse at Celtic Boys Club and Celtic FC

Mr Hugh Birt the former president of the boys club

Mr Jock Stein Celtic manager

Mr Kevin Kelly Director

Mr Jack McGinn Director

Jim Farrell Director

Jim McNally and officials Bill Gilfillan, John Gallacher and Willie Hampson all of CBC who were on a trip to USA where abuse is alleged to have taken place.

Sean McMullen and Bobby Creilly, two other boys' club officials who met with parents following allegations of alleged abuse on a trip to USA by Mr Frank Crainey

Lou Macari ex player and Celtic Manger in his autobiography

Liam Brady Celtic Manager – allegations of abuse were presented to Liam Brady when he was manager of Celtic Football Club

Tony McGuinness Celtic Boys Club whosaid: "The hotline is a very welcome gesture."

Fergus McCann Owner

Why is it the FA and SFA who are left to investigate this? It’s the most vile criminal act you can get, where are the police in all of this?
Where were the police when it emerged people at the bbc did know about Savile? Or the RC church - remember Winning shrugging off accusations he was moving priests to Ireland on the quiet?

There's no appetite to punish the harbourers

We should chant ‘shame’. Simple and to the point.

Celtic knew....

Ah don’t get why Rangers fans still think calling them 19th Century Terrorists is a slagging for them they call themselves it.
Calling them St pats fans they fucking despise

So who was aware of the abuse at Celtic Boys Club and Celtic FC

Mr Hugh Birt the former president of the boys club

Mr Jock Stein Celtic manager

Mr Kevin Kelly Director

Mr Jack McGinn Director

Jim Farrell Director

Jim McNally and officials Bill Gilfillan, John Gallacher and Willie Hampson all of CBC who were on a trip to USA where abuse is alleged to have taken place.

Sean McMullen and Bobby Creilly, two other boys' club officials who met with parents following allegations of alleged abuse on a trip to USA by Mr Frank Crainey

Lou Macari ex player and Celtic Manger in his autobiography

Liam Brady Celtic Manager – allegations of abuse were presented to Liam Brady when he was manager of Celtic Football Club

Tony McGuinness Celtic Boys Club whosaid: "The hotline is a very welcome gesture."

Fergus McCann Owner
Johnny Doyle knew. He took a boy abused by Frank Cairney to a youth coach, Michael McCormick, to report what was going on. The youth coach advised the boy to tell his parents. He also told a parish priest about the abuse and confronted Cairney. This happened in 1971. Clearly it made no impact because abuse continued for decades.

edit

Last edited:
I really can’t get my head round the different entity line. It doesn’t matter they knew about it and did the square root of f’all they are complicit in a coverup whether they are the same entity or not.
Another point in the wasn’t us guv line which doesn’t wash is the photographer worked for them as did McCafferty( I think).

Then why wasn't it? I'm fully willing to accept it was a difficult situation and it could be hard to know immediately what to say. But what I can't accept is surely you'd quickly realise there's nothing I can do here and you would contact the police. Why just do nothing when that boy needs your help. He's turned to you in faith you'll do something...and nothing happens?!
Correct and in a nutshell, obviously. RC though, wrong faith.

Hence the continued massive cover up. Forget separate entity, they all knew and the cover up surpasses it all regardless. Sub human scum.

[

Truly sickening reading.

That is haunting ....

It wasn’t difficult for Souness when he found out Neely had made improper advances towards a kid - he was slung out the door and the police were called in.

What was Macari and Celtic’s excuse?

I have seen this play out in America with Penn State and USA Gymnastics. The longer Celtic delays the worst it will be for them. You can get all the PR people, try to buy off all the politicians, and get all the lawyers but at the end of the day you have an evil corrupt poison inside of you. The stink and decay of it can not be hidden forever.

Back