Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

I think it's because that rancid club also represents a huge chunk of their core vote - the literal self-identified 19th Century Terrorists, the workshy, and the perm-offended (though you could argue that's all the same).

As thuer leader said, independence transcends all, even justice for children who were raped.
Most of whom don't bother voting

The Nats behaviour must be offensive to the decent majority

Youre very right. Some will want their day in court. Some will have tucked it away, or tried to, in their heads and want nothing to do witj it. All will want the criminals jailed you would think though.
I would think so.

I think where there might be a difference is that lots on here, myself included, want to see the organisation held to account too, but I suspect for the victims that the individuals will suffice, and that's entirely their prerogative - it wasn't the club that committed these horrible crimes (though it was entirely complicit).

Regardless of the end result, we need to be mindful that if it satisfies the victims then it has to be good enough for us.

I'm sure they're receiving advice from their legal team but I'd imagine it gets to a point where the families and their victims who can bare to go public with the abuse they endured will want to make a public show against the people denying them progress.

The likes of the JFT96 groups who were so well organised and have suffered similar blocks in trying to get answers for their loved ones let down by the government could provide answers as to how to mobilise.

Last edited:
Exactly.

Exactly. Too many part time lawyers on here. Any criminal actions arising from this may already have been prejudiced and will not go ahead. What do people want on here? Really want? Criminal or civil proceedings? Or do they actually know the difference. Criminal puts an individual in the dock and civil the body corporate for damages.
I very much doubt that admin on here would allow any posts which would prejudice any of these cases.

Celtic Boys Club abuse: Ruth Davidson joins calls for inquiry

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/celtic-boys-club-abuse-davidson-joins-calls-for-inquiry-256hw2kn6
Ruth Davidson has joined opposition parties to demand an independent inquiry into systematic sexual abuse at Celtic FC’s feeder club and its links to the Parkhead outfit.
The Scottish Conservative leader claimed that survivors had been badly let down and called for an investigation to establish “what Celtic FC knew about these offences and when they knew it”. Scottish Labour and the Liberal Democrats also called for a public inquiry.
The calls will heap further pressure on the premiership club to follow the example of Manchester City, which has apologised and offered to compensate victims of the paedophile former youth coach Barry Bennell.

Four men who held senior roles with Celtic Boys Club (CBC) have been convicted of sexually assaulting dozens of children. While expressing “regret and sorrow” Celtic FC insists it is not culpable for the abuse, describing the boys’ club as a separate organisation.
Ms Davidson outlined her views in a letter to a constituent, seen by The Times. “The reports that have emerged in recent years are extremely distressing and while it is welcome that [the CBC founder] Jim Torbett and others have been convicted for their depraved acts, this issue clearly goes wider,” she wrote.
“Any further allegations of criminality must be swiftly investigated by the police so that further criminal proceedings can be brought while necessary. Through a series of trials we now know something of the scale of the abuse committed by a number of men associated with CBC. What we do not know is what Celtic FC knew about these offences and when they knew it.
“These questions must now be independently and fully investigated and, if necessary, a compensation scheme should be established such as that set up this year by Manchester City.”
She added: “It is clear that victims of child abuse in football have been let down and I very much hope Police Scotland, clubs and the Scottish FA will give them the closure they need and they justice they deserve.
“Please be assured the Scottish Conservatives will closely monitor developments on this matter over the coming weeks and months.”
Last month Peter Lawwell, the chief executive of Celtic FC, said that the club had been conducting its own internal investigation for two years.

James Kelly, Scottish Labour’s football spokesman, said that its findings should be made public. He added that it would “clearly be in the best interests of all . . . for Celtic Football Club to commit to a further public inquiry which is open and transparent. I have raised these issues directly with Celtic FC on behalf of constituents.”
Pauline McNeill, a Glasgow Labour MSP and Celtic supporter, said: “Celtic FC should in some way contribute to any reparations made to those affected by historic abuse at CBC.”
A Scottish Liberal Democrat spokeswoman added: “We are in favour of an inquiry.”
The Scottish government said it was awaiting the publication of a report commissioned by the Scottish FA into historical sexual abuse within football. A spokeswoman said: “We will carefully consider its findings.”
Mr Lawwell said: “It would be inappropriate for us to be discussing highly sensitive and confidential legal matters in the media and we will not do so, even if that means we come under criticism for following the due legal process.”

This is a major breakthrough.

Celtic and the SNP have been backed into a corner.

I would think so.

I think where there might be a difference is that lots on here, myself included, want to see the organisation held to account too, but I suspect for the victims that the individuals will suffice, and that's entirely their prerogative - it wasn't the club that committed these horrible crimes (though it was entirely complicit).

Regardless of the end result, we need to be mindful that if it satisfies the victims then it has to be good enough for us.

It would be a stronger person who than me that could revisit this in my own head and go to court. Bad enough in any abuse case but the media frenzy over this could be very very unsettling once a claimant (victim) comes forth.

I was quite upbeat that about this getting somewhere until i just went to the shop there. Full front page of nicola with her cabinet on the evening times,with the head line,we're ready to deal with the drug issue,are the UK govt? How the hell do you beat this,taking it away from the families,because they have enough to deal with,but something needs to be done about the closeness of the media and the snp govt.

It would be a stronger person who than me that could revisit this in my own head and go to court. Bad enough in any abuse case but the media frenzy over this could be very very unsettling once a claimant (victim) comes forth.
It's a disgrace that the victims are not given proper protection. They should be able to have their stories heard without having to put themselves up for public frenzy.

I very much doubt that admin on here would allow any posts which would prejudice any of these cases.
Is the issue here not that admin would allow it, but that they can't be monitoring this thread 24/7 so something could slip past for a period, be screenshotted and then be used as evidence of causing prejudice?

Morning bears I initially got response from Ruth Davidson but she is the only person who after dozens of emails to others replied but have had no more back from her after futher email, but to be honest it's up to families to make their stance by organising demos,public and closed door meetings along with fund raising events which would be widely supported by many people who are disgusted by the symbolic way this is being dealt with.

I personally am trying a new route through the attendant of the house of lords who has to pass on emails to all members as there is too many to contact individually,I hope to get some response and will keep bears posted.

WATP

Cheers Tommy. Seems to me there is a time gap between things on here & then hitting the Papers.
But at least THE TIMES is showing strength when others are being complicit.
What date did you get that Ruth response Tommy ?

Exactly.

Exactly. Too many part time lawyers on here. Any criminal actions arising from this may already have been prejudiced and will not go ahead. What do people want on here? Really want? Criminal or civil proceedings? Or do they actually know the difference. Criminal puts an individual in the dock and civil the body corporate for damages.
My angle is keeping timmy off the trail while people go about campaigning for justice.

Anyone who has seen my posts in this thread know how strongly I feel about the horrendous abuse these victims suffered, so if I could ask you to read my full comment before replying and not just the next 5 words.

As a former SNP voter the last couple of years have opened my eyes, and I cannot continue to support a party so openly willing to say nothing about such horrendous incidents. This has become above both football and politics for me and is all about getting some form of comfort for those who've suffered.

On that basis I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on someone like me who was once a voter for SNP contacting SNP MP's to highlight how we feel we can no longer back their party. In protecting monsters, they're alienating their voters, and losing votes from people like me could be huge for them.

I know I won't be the only one out there in this situation, and I'm wondering if messages from even a handful of us could have an impact. Currently it's all about getting Tory MP's to oppose, so maybe it would help to start questioning some SNP MP's as now former voters.

Hard to believe that loyalty to a football club can force people in positions of power, especially the justice minister to be on the wrong side of justice. I mean we all love our club but if our club was in the wrong like theirs is I’m sure we’d all want this matter investigated, rights wronged and the club to say sorry.

Faced with such overwhelming evidence of wrongdoing it just doesn’t add up. They really have no shame at all.
The difference between our great club, and them, is the media, and government would be pushing very hard to close us down.And put all the shame on us as fan's. Anyone who says there hasn't been a cover up to protect them is cuckoo

Celtic Boys Club abuse: Ruth Davidson joins calls for inquiry
methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fa3662ebc-a8e0-11e9-89e4-5e7e89de8df9.jpg

Well done to Ruth!

Anyone who has seen my posts in this thread know how strongly I feel about the horrendous abuse these victims suffered, so if I could ask you to read my full comment before replying and not just the next 5 words.

As a former SNP voter the last couple of years have opened my eyes, and I cannot continue to support a party so openly willing to say nothing about such horrendous incidents. This has become above both football and politics for me and is all about getting some form of comfort for those who've suffered.

On that basis I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on someone like me who was once a voter for SNP contacting SNP MP's to highlight how we feel we can no longer back their party. In protecting monsters, they're alienating their voters, and losing votes from people like me could be huge for them.

I know I won't be the only one out there in this situation, and I'm wondering if messages from even a handful of us could have an impact. Currently it's all about getting Tory MP's to oppose, so maybe it would help to start questioning some SNP MP's as now former voters.
I've never voted for them mate,so I can't see it from your valid point. I respect you voted for them,because you have your own beliefs.
This is a very different snp party who have became toxic and as far as I'm concerned have lost all their values,but yes I agree that guys like yourself need to put some pressure on them as they are at this moment drunk on power and have lost their morals to achieve their goal.

While this is a re-hash of a reply sent to a poster on here, I would like to think that the Times would have given Ruth Davidson the courtesy of contacting her prior to going to press.There can be no doubt that this article takes it up a notch and is very encouraging.The proof of the pudding so to speak, is when somebody from the opposition parties in Scotland has the guts to stand up in parliament and pose the question.It is then, and only then, that the brown stuff hits the fan for the SNP.I'm hoping for a well thought out strategy with a mixture of political and moral standing.

Mr Lawwell said: “It would be inappropriate for us to be discussing highly sensitive and confidential legal matters in the media and we will not do so, even if that means we come under criticism for following the due legal process.”
It would appear that Liewell and the rest of the orcs intend to keep their mouths shut.
We should also bear in mind that the PF office and police Scotland have previous when it comes to mishandling evidence

While this is a re-hash of a reply sent to a poster on here, I would like to think that the Times would have given Ruth Davidson the courtesy of contacting her prior to going to press.There can be no doubt that this article takes it up a notch and is very encouraging.The proof of the pudding so to speak, is when somebody from the opposition parties in Scotland has the guts to stand up in parliament and pose the question.It is then, and only then, that the brown stuff hits the fan for the SNP.I'm hoping for a well thought out strategy with a mixture of political and moral standing.

There’s a reason this hasn’t been done yet in Holyrood mate.
Tomkins will raise it at Holyrood when the right time comes.

It's a disgrace that the victims are not given proper protection. They should be able to have their stories heard without having to put themselves up for public frenzy.
You do wonder how having this in the media is affecting some of the victims. A man being asked by his wife what happened while he was at CBC and he hasnt mentioned it to her. This converstion will be happening in a few households.

Reply i received following email sent yesterday to William Rennie M.S.P.
Sorry if it doesn't paste the way i received it

Rennie W (Willie), MSP <Willie.Rennie.msp@parliament.scot>
To:R.K.

‎17‎ ‎Jul at ‎17‎:‎00

Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 12:27:23 PM
To: Rennie W (Willie), MSP
Subject: Re: Email Response

Hi Willie,

Thanks for this. There are further developments reported in the Times today (p.11) which would again appear to undercut Celtic’s claims that Celtic FC and Celtic Boys Club were “entirely separate organisations”. We know that they were not and that Celtic are saying this on the advice of insurance lawyers, presumably to distance themselves from liability.

As you may have seen Celtic have refused to meet me. But I met the chief exec of the SFA last month and he told me that a number of pending legal cases will test the veracity of Celtic’s claim that the football club and the boys club were separate. So, as matters stand, the issues will be resolved in court, meaning that there is nothing to be gained at the moment from a (no doubt expensive and publicly-funded) public inquiry. This is why I’ve not used parliamentary time to call on the FM or the Cab Sec for Justice to establish a public inquiry.

If the legal cases collapse, however, or if they fail to get to the bottom of the matter, I will reconsider. There may be a long way to go on this yet.

Happy to discuss further..... Hope your recess is good so far.

All best,
Adam

Adam Tomkins MSP
Conservative MSP for Glasgow

This is probably from Ruth’s reply to Tommy1656 about three weeks ago mate.

Brian Whittle also replied to one of us ( forget who ) with almost identical wording to Ruth & Adam.
She states in my reply about pushing for the inquiry. I’m sure there was a second reply but it basically outlined what she said in the first. I’m sure this it. I’m sure jf and nacho got the same. I maybe wrong

Hi Willie,

Thanks for this. There are further developments reported in the Times today (p.11) which would again appear to undercut Celtic’s claims that Celtic FC and Celtic Boys Club were “entirely separate organisations”. We know that they were not and that Celtic are saying this on the advice of insurance lawyers, presumably to distance themselves from liability.

As you may have seen Celtic have refused to meet me. But I met the chief exec of the SFA last month and he told me that a number of pending legal cases will test the veracity of Celtic’s claim that the football club and the boys club were separate. So, as matters stand, the issues will be resolved in court, meaning that there is nothing to be gained at the moment from a (no doubt expensive and publicly-funded) public inquiry. This is why I’ve not used parliamentary time to call on the FM or the Cab Sec for Justice to establish a public inquiry.

If the legal cases collapse, however, or if they fail to get to the bottom of the matter, I will reconsider. There may be a long way to go on this yet.

All best,
Adam

Adam Tomkins MSP
Same reply as a few others have received rathcool. Grigo and a few others will confirm it mate.

Hi Willie,

All best,
Adam

Adam Tomkins MSP

So he doesnt want an enquiry on the grounds of cost??? Is he or is he not challenging Lawell in public? Is he posturing by saying he will take Lawell on? Meeting the chief exec of the SFA. Big deal. NO progress here at all. That is a disappointing email amd ties in with my point above about the summer recess

Hi Willie,

All best,
Adam

Adam Tomkins MSP

Well done Kai ;)

So he doesnt want an enquiry on the grounds of cost??? Is he or is he not challenging Lawell in public? Is he posturing by saying he will take Lawell on? Meeting the chief exec of the SFA. Big deal. NO progress here at all. That is a disappointing email amd ties in with my point above about the summer recess

I see it differently.

Firstly this shows Rennie is supporting Tomkins position. Secondly it also shows further cases coming ( and some ITK believe there is a high profile former Celtic player involved ) which will further deteriorate their separate entity claim.

Others will tell you that that was my first reaction but I do believe there is more to follow.

Pauline McNeill said “Celtic fc should in some way contribute to any reparations made to those affected by historic abuse at CBC”, the way I read that is payments made should not all come from Celtic alone.

See below extract from SFA interim report, which clearly advises that the "SFA and clubs" contribute to a fund to assist victims, and that sponsorship funds are also diverted for this purpose.

"RECOMMENDATION 94 The Independent Review recommends that the Scottish FA and clubs and organisations in Scottish football consider the establishment of a permanent testimonial to the experiences of and impact on those affected including consideration of the creation of a fund which might underwrite support and assistance for those who have been personally affected by sexual abuse in Scottish football and indeed those in Scottish football who are experiencing other mental health challenges and issues. The Review sees no reason why this might not also be contributed to or underwritten by commercial donation and sponsorship."

I have included the bit below, to clarify that the independent review is having nothing to do with the "separate entity" defence. Other paragraphs before and after the one below also reinforce this view.
"3.81 The Review believes that the leadership of the senior club should take the initiative in resolving the residual issues arising from a close relationship between clubs where, in either, alleged sexual abuse has been an issue. It is not enough to arrive at a constitutional and legal separation without addressing the ‘mixed messages’ that perpetuate through continued shared name, brand, colours, facilities and resources."

This is probably from Ruth’s reply to Tommy1656 about three weeks ago mate.

Brian Whittle also replied to one of us ( forget who ) with almost identical wording to Ruth & Adam.

I appreciate that mate.

But it's all about getting it out there in any which way we can. The Times have obviously lifted it from here - but right now that's not important.

What is important is that it's now out there in the public domain and being read by hundreds of thousands of people that don't read Follow Follow.

Ironic that Lawwell was Celtic's financial controller from 1990-91 yet many years later could see him pay out millions in compensation to victims. Control that!

Yep Nacho.

1991, the year of Cairney’s Kearney NJ abuse.
The one where they again elected not to approach the police, and big ‘Frankie Boy’ resigned due to business commitments.

That Financial Controller back then :mad:

I appreciate that mate.

But it's all about getting it out there in any which way we can. The Times have obviously lifted it from here - but right now that's not important.

What is important is that it's now out there in the public domain and being read by hundreds of thousands of people that don't read Follow Follow.

I’m 100% with you mate. My simple point is that all of the work we are doing is finding its way out there, if a bit slowly at times ;)

Back