Celtic Players Offside for 14 Seconds At Goal

3 big decisions yesterday gave that mob Silverware,its immaterial how good or bad we played 3 game changing calls went against us by the Officials.

I don’t for a second think it’s cheating or even complete incompetence.

But let’s think about it. Thats the linesman’s only job. Literally all he does is look for offside. So there’s three Celtic players offside for that long. And it’s from a dead ball, so he doesn’t even have the excuse of not expecting the pass so he can’t say he made a mistake and wasnt looking down the line when the pass was played.

Even if he is the worlds worst linesman he must of at least thought to himself. “ where they not offside ? “

The conclusion I drew, thinking about it was that he thought it would be safer to allow the goal than to risk ruling out a legitimate Celtic goal for offside. And to an extent I don’t blame him.

Even on the morning of the game Lennon is on the back pages putting pressure on the officials, insinuating they are out to get Celtic. We seen what happens when decisions go against Celtic in the past, including a ref strike over an incident that went against Celtic which was the correct call. The intimidation of referees has went too far.

And it makes even more sense if the rumour about the linesman being one of us is true. If he ruled out that goal for offside and it wasn’t Celtic would have ended his career and he and his family would have been hounded.

I think he was 70% sure it was offside but decided to play it safe.

And I know the reaction on here will be that he shouldn’t be reffing if he can’t go with his genuine gut feeling but Celtic have poisened the water with officials.

Im no fan of VAR but maybe we need it.

And for the record, if he’s not 100% that’s offside looking at it from a dead ball then he isnt a good linesman, so he is at least partly incompetent.

But let’s think about it. Thats the linesman’s only job. Literally all he does is look for offside. So there’s three Celtic players offside for that long. And it’s from a dead ball, so he doesn’t even have the excuse of not expecting the pass so he can’t say he made a mistake and wasnt looking down the line when the pass was played.

Even if he is the worlds worst linesman he must of at least thought to himself. “ where they not offside ? “

The conclusion I drew, thinking about it was that he thought it would be safer to allow the goal than to risk ruling out a legitimate Celtic goal for offside. And to an extent I don’t blame him.

Even on the morning of the game Lennon is on the back pages putting pressure on the officials, insinuating they are out to get Celtic. We seen what happens when decisions go against Celtic in the past, including a ref strike over an incident that went against Celtic which was the correct call. The intimidation of referees has went too far.

And it makes even more sense if the rumour about the linesman being one of us is true. If he ruled out that goal for offside and it wasn’t Celtic would have ended his career and he and his family would have been hounded.

And I know the reaction on here will be that he shouldn’t be reffing if he can’t go with his genuine gut feeling but Celtic have poisened the water with officials.

And for the record, if he’s not 100% that’s offside looking at it from a dead ball then he isnt a good linesman, so he is at least partly incompetent.
The same reason Beaton didn't give the penalty midweek.

Aye I am aware of that and not questioning that, was more just a question re the rule.

I understood it to be a player can stand offside as such as long as they come back on side at the time the ball is played.

You are correct in that it’s when the ball is struck that it matters. I think the point is that since they were in an offside position for so long then surely the officials would be keeping a close eye on them at the time of the ball being struck.

The guy next to me in the pub said before we saw the replay, ''that's got to be offside'', then when we saw the replay he was 100% correct, I'm not going to go down the conspiracy route I will leave that to moonhowling tims, to me it was just bad officiating.
Actually to me it looks like FOUR of them are offside, but maybe the tim player at the top is not interfering in the play?

I’m getting angrier through the passage of time on this one.

Normally I calm down, but this is getting worse

Last edited:
That match proves that foreign referees and assistants are an absolute necessity in Scottish Cup/League Cup finals. It won't happen though. However, at least we should call for it to highlight the 'poor' or even biased standard of referrering here.

I have been a supporter for 54 years and while I admired our dignified silence on these matters in the past these are completely different times.The hatred and prejudice towards us and our very existence including pressure from certain clubs 'influencing' referrering is now so evident we need to challenge it.

By the way we must be viewed as a footballing backwater by certain countries for not having VAR at least in a final. Maybe VAR will show up.the poor standard of referrering.here.

If there was a cross over from onside to offside, I could understand the linesman getting it wrong.

But how he can keep the flag down is beyond me.

It’s not incompetence, he’s cheated. You can see something that didn’t happen.

A reasonable and thoughtful post. However the goal scorer is the biggest body in that line. How the fuxx can he not see him. He is the closest player to the linesman as well.
If this was the other way round, there would be hell to pay. Lennon pre match comments worked.

Rangers need to go to the SFA and ask for a formal explanation to why their officials are allowed to cause us so many problems. That is 2 games in a row that the officials have got absolutely MASSIVE decisions very, very and obviously wrong.

The two decision that went against us yesterday were horrific and very obvious. Firstly, we need to know what it's allowed? We also need to know that Collum and the assistant referees will be given another Rangers V Celtic game ever again.

If Rangers don't speak out this time it's just weak. Very, very weak and they'll just have let the fans, the manager and the players down. The dignified silence doesn't work and I don't fucking care if Celtic and their minions in the media try to pass it off as bitterness or pettiness - it was MASSIVE decisions they got wrong to help teams get a result. If anyone thinks for 10 seconds that Celtic would have accepted that result yesterday they're mental. Their players would be going mental, their fans would be going mental, their manager would be going mental. BT Sports and the rest of the media would be going mental and their board would be going mental.

What will Rangers do? Absolutely fucking nothing as per usual.
100% correct, and nothing will be said, we just roll over and take it up the jacksy as usual.

So what your saying is that he IS cheating?

I can excuse ARs missing offisdes during the flow of play when they are moving up and down the line but to miss such a blatant one at a set piece is unexcusable. he should stick his flag up the minute Julie-anne plays the ball (The way the Laws are these days, the other two are in an offside position but not offside). WC is looking for pushing or other fouls in the wall/penalty area (It's Fifa's preferred position for referees at free kicks, although older refs I know disagree with that). It's his assistant's job to watch for offside.

The same thing applies to the penalty, where the linesman is looking right down the line. His only jobs are to check the GK has at least one foot on the line when the kick is taken and that the ball crosses the line.

Three of them clearly offside and acting as a block as the ball is delivered.
They stepped backwards but not enough to remain onside.
We seem to be the victim of far too many 'honest mistakes'

Probably covered elsewhere (avoided FF since the result), but who was the linesman that failed to raise his flag?
Has to be a Declan McFenian type?
Apparently not, but he's either a bottle merchant or grossly incompetent or both of the afore mentioned. :confused:

Going back watching this, the Tims goalscorer was offside for over 14 seconds.
By the time it's taken all 3 Tims have been offside for 7 seconds.
Once in an offside position none of them were ever onside again.
At the delivery Willow Collum is looking at the line, not the delivery. Was he relying on the useless linesman to make the offside call? Could he not see the 3 players offside for the near 6 seconds he was looking directly at them?
I get close calls. The penalty call at the Sheep happened in the blink of an eye. This didn't. The linesman never noticed three players just hanging about in an offside position for this long?
That's so blatant :oops:

Linesmen have a very difficult job at times, but if his positioning is correct he cannot possibly miss that I as a rule don't believe officials cheat, but I cannot explain that decision.

It is not an excuse we should have won. But regardless kudos to the OP for raising this. We should pursue this and seek ‘clarification’.

Gollum doesn’t watch the kicker so how can he make the offside decision he’s solely relying on his linesman here , absolutely ridiculous decision!! It’s blatant cheating !!
how can the linesman get it so wrong they’re never onside which makes the decision very very easy but obv course the decision would not be in septics favour and the officials wouldn’t want to upset them now would they!!

I honestly am not one for calling officials out as cheats. I think they do a thank less job at times however I am finding it difficult to convince myself that the linesman made a mistake with that decision.
I have to say I couldn’t see it from where I was at the game but when I watched it back I was taken aback. I wouldn’t even expect officiating of that standard at amateur level.
I can’t say I think the linesman missed it because it was impossible looking along the line not to see it. Therefore I also don’t think because of that the linesman can say he made a mistake.
Sadly my only conclusion on this one is the linesman seen the whole episode play out in front of him and he made the decision to let it go. I would never say anything like that about any official no matter how bad they are but this one is so obvious it is worrying.

Going back watching this, the Tims goalscorer was offside for over 14 seconds.
By the time it's taken all 3 Tims have been offside for 7 seconds.
Once in an offside position none of them were ever onside again.
At the delivery Willow Collum is looking at the line, not the delivery. Was he relying on the useless linesman to make the offside call? Could he not see the 3 players offside for the near 6 seconds he was looking directly at them?
I get close calls. The penalty call at the Sheep happened in the blink of an eye. This didn't. The linesman never noticed three players just hanging about in an offside position for this long?
"mentally challengeds"

I can excuse ARs missing offisdes during the flow of play when they are moving up and down the line but to miss such a blatant one at a set piece is unexcusable. he should stick his flag up the minute Julie-anne plays the ball (The way the Laws are these days, the other two are in an offside position but not offside). WC is looking for pushing or other fouls in the wall/penalty area (It's Fifa's preferred position for referees at free kicks, although older refs I know disagree with that). It's his assistant's job to watch for offside.

The same thing applies to the penalty, where the linesman is looking right down the line. His only jobs are to check the GK has at least one foot on the line when the kick is taken and that the ball crosses the line.
Which he certainly wasn't, could you imagine TLB this morning if they had been on one of these decisions nevermind 3 in the one game,a dignified silence isn't working their philosophy won them a Cup yesterday Officials are scared of them.

What? You're only offside when the ball is kicked. Teams always do this. Evert team all over the world. Yes it was an offside goal but ffs this is scraping the barrel.

What? You're only offside when the ball is kicked. Teams always do this. Evert team all over the world. Yes it was an offside goal but ffs this is scraping the barrel.

He was never onside at any point and that should have made the decision easier to make is what the OP is saying

If he had flirted between being offside and not offside maybe you could understand the linesman missing it, but he was beyond the defensive line for the whole clip.

Imagine you are the linesman your one job is to watch across the line, he must have saw that Julien and 2 others were offside before a ball was kicked, so he has to be waiting and waiting for them to get back on line or else the flag goes up.

They of course never moved back to be on line, so they were offside. It was an incredibly simple decision that 'beggars' belief for not being ruled out.

Officials are clearly terrified of making a mistake with them.

Better not get it wrong or you're a racist/bigot who'll be the subject of harassment and intimidation from one side.

One important call regarding them, maybe it was safer to not rock the boat and put the flag up. You could be 99% percent sure but that element of doubt just isn't worth the risk.

I notice nearly halfway through the season we've not heard a peep from oor Claire or even a suggestion from Celtic commentators that the compliance officer has a decision to make. Clearly been rumbled.

He was never onside at any point and that should have made the decision easier to make is what the OP is saying

If he had flirted between being offside and not offside maybe you could understand the linesman missing it, but he was beyond the defensive line for the whole clip.

Imagine you are the linesman your one job is to watch across the line, he must have saw that Julien and 2 others were offside before a ball was kicked, so he has to be waiting and waiting for them to get back on line or else the flag goes up.

They of course never moved back to be on line, so they were offside. It was an incredibly simple decision that 'beggars' belief for not being ruled out.
But it doesn't. Its glaringly obvious to see they're offside when it's kicked but this tactic is used globally. I'm not having the they were offside for how ever many seconds. Just preposterous.

Poster is talking shite then, but as I said above it’s a howling decision and only he knows how the %^*& he missed it.

Frightened to give it just in case, popcorn teeth cranked up the pressure on the officials with his headline comments on Saturday. The fruits of those comments were clear to see yesterday, an offside goal for them and a stonewall pen denied for us. They aren't light years in front of us on the pitch anymore but in terms of this kind of thing and PR they are. I know a lot say it's not the Rangers way but we really need to play dirty if we are to get anywhere near these scumbags.

But it doesn't. Its glaringly obvious to see they're offside when it's kicked but this tactic is used globally. I'm not having the they were offside for how ever many seconds. Just preposterous.

No idea what you are on about.

We know its a tactic used globally but what's that got to do with anything ?

We are talking about the decision itself and how easy it should have been for the linesman to see it.

Put yourself in the linesmans shoes for a second.

Imagine you are him.

You are standing looking along the defensive line before the free kick is taken. You see that 3 Celtic players are offside. You see that for X amount of time, you see that they are offside and the only way the flag will stay down is if when the ball is kicked, they make the effort to get back on line.

They never did.

That's the point. It's a clear offside which was made incredibly easy to spot by the fact that Julien (or 2 other players) never strayed back into an onside position at any point.

How it was not ruled out is quite incredible really.

No idea what you are on about.

We know its a tactic used globally but what's that got to do with anything ?

We are talking about the decision itself and how easy it should have been for the linesman to see it.

Put yourself in the linesmans shoes for a second.

Imagine you are him.

You are standing looking along the defensive line before the free kick is taken. You see that 3 Celtic players are offside. You see that for X amount of time, you see that they are offside and the only way the flag will stay down is if when the ball is kicked, they make the effort to get back on line.

They never did.

That's the point. It's a clear offside which was made incredibly easy to spot by the fact that Julien (or 2 other players) never strayed back into an onside position at any point.

How it was not ruled out is quite incredible really.
But no-one is offside until the ball is kicked. I'm not saying it wasn't offside or that the officials were exceedingly inept. This arguement about how long they were offside for is ridiculous. In my humble opinion.

You clearly not get what he is suggesting. If they had got back onside at any point then it makes it a little harder for linesman. However they don't they were offside for the whole thing, at no point would the linesman have looked at the line and the Celtic players were onside so it really should have been an easy decision.

I honestly fear that even with VAR these mistakes would still happen. The referees in Scotland really are that bad.

If that decision had went against the mentally challengeds we’d still be hearing about it a decade from now , just like the penalty we once got at parkhead all those years ago

Celtic were never winning that match yesterday until the officials stepped in

better than that was the cadette goal that was ruled off at Ibrox. They went on about it for years and there was never any evidence to show that the linesman got it wrong. Unlike yesterday.

I'm struggling to understand how anyone could believe that we think we were done because of the length of time that they were in an offside position. :))

if you’re a assistant coach for a kids team taking that fk, you are behind the linesman there shouting at your kids to get back in line when the ball is kicked. None of the celtic players ever get back in line, thus the linesman’s job is just about as easy as it gets.

It’s unmissable. It’s not a matter of how he missed it. It’s WHY.

In the past we have scored the goals to compensate for weak/19th Century Terrorist officiating. Right now on our way back we need fair officiating, which surprise surprise is nowhere to be seen.

Back