Celtic Players Offside for 14 Seconds At Goal

Edweird

** Had to add this it seems.
Obviously the Tims are not offside until the ball is kicked. But they are in offside positions for 14 seconds. As others pointed out, it should make it an easy decision. The only thing that could make it easier for the linesman would be a real time virtual reality VAR headset. Even then I doubt he'd get it right.
-------
Going back watching this, the Tims goalscorer was offside for over 14 seconds.
By the time it's taken all 3 Tims have been offside for 7 seconds.
Once in an offside position none of them were ever onside again.
At the delivery Willow Collum is looking at the line, not the delivery. Was he relying on the useless linesman to make the offside call? Could he not see the 3 players offside for the near 6 seconds he was looking directly at them?
I get close calls. The penalty call at the Sheep happened in the blink of an eye. This didn't. The linesman never noticed three players just hanging about in an offside position for this long?

Last edited:
Shockingly bad from the officials when you see it like that. A wee apology and we’ll be sound though.

Incompetent officials screwing us over yet again. It’s seriously hard to tell if they are genuinely incompetent or if it is blatant cheating.

The 'honest mistakes' are getting a bit too blatant now.

This, the 'missed' penalty incidents, forster being well off his line, Frimpong being allowed to lift his hands on at least 2 occasions (Morelos and Kamara), and that's just today.

Add in the Ross County goal that was chopped off for who knows what, the dangerous play/head knock injury in the Hamilton game etc and there's a clear pattern

Rangers need to go to the SFA and ask for a formal explanation to why their officials are allowed to cause us so many problems. That is 2 games in a row that the officials have got absolutely MASSIVE decisions very, very and obviously wrong.

The two decision that went against us yesterday were horrific and very obvious. Firstly, we need to know what it's allowed? We also need to know that Collum and the assistant referees will be given another Rangers V Celtic game ever again.

If Rangers don't speak out this time it's just weak. Very, very weak and they'll just have let the fans, the manager and the players down. The dignified silence doesn't work and I don't fucking care if Celtic and their minions in the media try to pass it off as bitterness or pettiness - it was MASSIVE decisions they got wrong to help teams get a result. If anyone thinks for 10 seconds that Celtic would have accepted that result yesterday they're mental. Their players would be going mental, their fans would be going mental, their manager would be going mental. BT Sports and the rest of the media would be going mental and their board would be going mental.

What will Rangers do? Absolutely fucking nothing as per usual.

I wasnt totally sure but thats the best view ive seen of it. Linesman has surely got some answering to do for that. Thats damn poor judgement from him

Jesus f Christ. I didn’t know it was as bad or blatant as that.

That is absolutely scandalous.

Not defending it..... but is that right?

Thought it was the case you could stand offside as such but it is where you are when the ball is played that counts.

I have to say it looked offside live, it gets worse the more you watch it for the linesman. For me though, I wish our defence had the courage to have held their line. If Goldson, Barisic, Helander and Aribo don’t drift back towards the goal, all 3 Celtic players are 2 yards offside. A lost defensive art in today’s modern game.

Thought it was the case you could stand offside as such but it is where you are when the ball is played that counts.

I think the point is that at no time from before the ball was played we’re up to 3 Celtic players ever ‘onside’. It should have made it easy for the linesman to see when the ball was played that they were still offside.

When the free kick was taken they were offside.. Granted not as much as the picture shows. But it doesn’t matter if you’re 30 yards offside or 3 inches offside, you’re still offside.

Aye I am aware of that and not questioning that, was more just a question re the rule.

I understood it to be a player can stand offside as such as long as they come back on side at the time the ball is played.

If that decision had went against the mentally challengeds we’d still be hearing about it a decade from now , just like the penalty we once got at parkhead all those years ago

Celtic were never winning that match yesterday until the officials stepped in

When we scored a goal far less offside than that at Tynecastle it was back page headlines for a week, a national crisis - let’s see what the media agenda is this time. No doubt rubbishing a 25 goal striker who had an off day in front of goal will be deemed far more important.

It's not just the time they were offside it's the number of players.

I think we all accept that officials make mistakes & if the decision was marginal & only 1 player was offside we'd be pis*ed but have to accept it. This is unforgiveable though, 3 players blatantly offside, not even close & the linesman still gets it wrong.

I still can't believe it now.

Aye I am aware of that and not questioning that, was more just a question re the rule.

I understood it to be a player can stand offside as such as long as they come back on side at the time the ball is played.

I think the point the original post is highlighting is because they are standing offside it should be a relatively easy decision to make when the ball is played

You can forgive a lineman making a mistake if it's a quick piece of play but how can he miss 3 players being offside for that length of time.

It's cheating, plain and simple.

Just like Beaton refusing to give us a penalty during the week.

Ap

[/QUOTE
Apologies mate didn’t mean to be patronising :))...Yeah I’m sure you’re right on that rule.... But they never made it beyond our back line when the free kick was taken and the ref totally ignored that.

They can only be offside the second the ball is struck toward them not before .They try to get back on line with our defenders but don't quite manage it and that's what catches the linesman out.VAR definitely rules it off

Probably covered elsewhere (avoided FF since the result), but who was the linesman that failed to raise his flag?
Has to be a Declan McFenian type?

He definitely isn’t, he’s a bluenose through and through. I can’t defend him here though, he must have been looking right across that line and how he’s missed that only he knows. He deserves every bit of flak that’s coming his way, especially when he got a much tighter call spot on at Ibrox last December against them when mcgregor thought he’d scored.

Rangers need to go to the SFA and ask for a formal explanation to why their officials are allowed to cause us so many problems. That is 2 games in a row that the officials have got absolutely MASSIVE decisions very, very and obviously wrong.

The two decision that went against us yesterday were horrific and very obvious. Firstly, we need to know what it's allowed? We also need to know that Collum and the assistant referees will be given another Rangers V Celtic game ever again.

If Rangers don't speak out this time it's just weak. Very, very weak and they'll just have let the fans, the manager and the players down. The dignified silence doesn't work and I don't fucking care if Celtic and their minions in the media try to pass it off as bitterness or pettiness - it was MASSIVE decisions they got wrong to help teams get a result. If anyone thinks for 10 seconds that Celtic would have accepted that result yesterday they're mental. Their players would be going mental, their fans would be going mental, their manager would be going mental. BT Sports and the rest of the media would be going mental and their board would be going mental.

What will Rangers do? Absolutely fucking nothing as per usual.

Agree with this. The incidents in the last games have changed the whole dynamic of our season, we have lost a Cup final and now trail in the league and poor refereeing decisions (as well as our own incompetence, which should not be forgotten) have played a big part.

I firmly accept poor refereeing calls go for and against all teams during a season. However what we have witnessed in these two games are just inexcusable from professional officials, the 3 most glaring errors were not difficult calls to make, a blind man could see each and every one.

1. Beaton called a foul on Morelos inside penalty box but awarded freekick despite having uninterupted view only 6 feet from incident.
2. 3 Celtic players clearly offside at winning goal, and tv evidence shows they were in the offside position for 7 seconds before kick taken.
3. Celtic keeper two yards of line as Morelos strikes the ball at our penalty.

None of these decisions were in anyway difficult calls. If numbers 2 and 3 were called correctly no one would have had any grounds for complaint. Why they weren't gives us very strong grounds to complain. Rangers, over to you.

Its got to be cheating by the linesman. There’s no excuse for that.

I don’t for a second think it’s cheating or even complete incompetence.

But let’s think about it. Thats the linesman’s only job. Literally all he does is look for offside. So there’s three Celtic players offside for that long. And it’s from a dead ball, so he doesn’t even have the excuse of not expecting the pass so he can’t say he made a mistake and wasnt looking down the line when the pass was played.

Even if he is the worlds worst linesman he must of at least thought to himself. “ where they not offside ? “

The conclusion I drew, thinking about it was that he thought it would be safer to allow the goal than to risk ruling out a legitimate Celtic goal for offside. And to an extent I don’t blame him.

Even on the morning of the game Lennon is on the back pages putting pressure on the officials, insinuating they are out to get Celtic. We seen what happens when decisions go against Celtic in the past, including a ref strike over an incident that went against Celtic which was the correct call. The intimidation of referees has went too far.

And it makes even more sense if the rumour about the linesman being one of us is true. If he ruled out that goal for offside and it wasn’t Celtic would have ended his career and he and his family would have been hounded.

I think he was 70% sure it was offside but decided to play it safe.

And I know the reaction on here will be that he shouldn’t be reffing if he can’t go with his genuine gut feeling but Celtic have poisened the water with officials.

Im no fan of VAR but maybe we need it.

And for the record, if he’s not 100% that’s offside looking at it from a dead ball then he isnt a good linesman, so he is at least partly incompetent.

The point is clear. At no point at all are any of three even in line with our defenders. It’s an absolutely shocking decision

You are right but the point is they were always ahead of our players, they never moved in to the pack therefore making in a VERY EASY offside call to make.

Aye I have kind of agreed with all of this, again it was just a question re the rule...….I have kind of said it about 6 or 7 times since my original post.

The amount of our games that are decided by officials is far more than anyone else.

Theres far too many folk giving it the 'we shouldve taken our chances'. Yes we should have but you get days like this and it seems the outcome of our off days are decided by officials more often than not.

Latest posts

Back