Central Defence a Major Issue

The 2 reasons we lost the ball was poor defending from Goldson. Is that not bad enough?

Zonal marking at set pieces is the issue 1st goal was just unlucky it hits a PSV player then off Tav and the guy gets a touch on it. 2nd goal the guy that scored has a 5 yard run unmarked he's always going to win the ball in that situation when you zonal mark Goldson can't get up due to it.

Like Spurs PSV are a big physical team. Why can’t we source similar players? Their blond CB who is enormous is on loan from Everton. Do we look at guys like them.

It’s hugely unfair to blame Sands for anything this evening. Goldson had a very poor game in terms of the goals. Totally dominated at their second, had a chance to clear their first. Sands offers mobility and a pass out of defence.
We talk about blooding young players then get on their backs.
This tie is a great chance to bond the team against a technically strong opponent.

I’ve said it all summer, but we are weak in central defence. With Helander unreliable and now Souttar and Davies carrying knocks we are weak in here.

Sands isn’t a natural centre back and is being asked to do a job but it’s going to cost us.

In my opinion we should bring Balogun back, he at least offers a physical presence and ability to attack balls in the air. Both goals were soft and all down to the fact we can’t defend properly and lack physicality.
Hi Ally. Why you not going to Eindhoven?

We lost all the height in our team in Bassey, Aribo and Balogun even Helander

We then remove the additional physical presence we had by leaving out Jack and Morelos.

We didn't replace them. The new signing have been brilliant but we needed our strongest side out there tonight and now go to Holland needing a miracle.

First goal is harsh to blame him, from how I saw it, Lundstrum ducks out the way and Goldson doesn’t have enough time to adjust.
The ball comes into his zone and he cushion headers it.

He was the issue with distribution out of defence most times playing Sands into tight spaces or poor passing.

He was really poor tonight, too concerned with moaning at the ref and everyone else

People itching to have a go at inexperienced players like sands and wright etc but seem scared to name goldson who doesn't have that excuse at this level

Goldson defends the 6 yard line, rather than a man. The issue I’ve always had with zonal marking is that your zone is ambiguous, your man is not. De Jong doesn’t stop being De Jong when he crosses a certain threshold in the box, your zone is a rough spot of land that in the moment you can barely understand.

Man for man is the way, IMO.
I fuckin detest zonal marking

No, we need a proper CH instead of Goldson. Last straw for me tonight, I’d be delighted never to see him in a Rangers shirt again. I’m old enough to remember proper Rangers defenders and he’s a million miles away from them. Consistently unreliable in the biggest games.

No doubt his staunch fan club will slaughter me but it doesn’t mean I’m wrong. They’re just easily satisfied.

Were you not content at having a go at him in the match thread?

We then remove the additional physical presence we had by leaving out Jack and Morelos.

We didn't replace them. The new signing have been brilliant but we needed our strongest side out there tonight and now go to Holland needing a miracle.

Goldson and for some periods Barisic gave me the fear this evening. Goldson for his inability to pick up runners and to get up for defensive headers at the corners, Barisic for his nervous spell where he just couldn't get out due to their high press. They stopped doing that after our 2nd goal, but he still wasn't much of a force down the left.

The ball comes into his zone and he cushion headers it.

He was the issue with distribution out of defence most times playing Sands into tight spaces or poor passing.

He was really poor tonight, too concerned with moaning at the ref and everyone else

I’m not saying he wasn’t poor tonight, because he was.

Just can’t see how he’s getting the blame when the ball goes over Tillman then Lundstrum ducks out of the way in front of him when he’s the man to clear it.

Ally and Kenny Miller both making a case for us bringing Balogun back. Whilst Sands wasn't the issue tonight, we do miss the physicality of players like Balogun and Bassey.

Goldson had major chaotic energy tonight. Doesn't half pick his moments to do that.

For what ever reason we have a group of players who seem incapable of attacking a ball into our box. It’s an issue that needs addressed by the management urgently.

You never know what goes on behind the scenes, but I just got the feeling all too often that when Sands lost a heading battle Balogun wouldn’t have. Two set piece goals too! But we’re talking about an ex player who was what 34?!

Sounds ridiculous, but Sands is just too wee vs some of these monsters. We’re unlucky to be missing both our left sided CBs!!

What a mental post.

Goldson and for some periods Barisic gave me the fear this evening. Goldson for his inability to pick up runners and to get up for defensive headers at the corners, Barisic for his nervous spell where he just couldn't get out due to their high press. They stopped doing that after our 2nd goal, but he still wasn't much of a force down the left.

The chance the boy toe poked wide after he flicked it over goldsons head had me raging.

Goldson looked like he was just jogging along beside him.

Thought Sands did okay, but lacks the physical presence of a natural CB. 2nd goal Goldson as a natural CB should be coming and attacking that ball all day.

We're simply not going to go out and get another CB, weve invested in that position and need to give it time to settle because Davies will be first choice when he gets time to settle

Said as much in the match thread. Maybe we should have let Goldson go in the summer and taken the opportunity to freshen up the defence completely. For all the good things he brings there is always a brainfart at the worse possible time. It happened in Seville and again tonight.

His biggest problem is he thinks he is above criticism. It's always someone else's fault and never his.

Or one goal win

I'm going to delete my post so people stop quoting me and saying "it's Goldson that's the issue".

GOLDSON ISN'T GETTING DROPPED.

Suggesting anything to the contrary makes you sound silly.

Tango faced Del giving his professional expertise on the art of defending after his mob got horsed by the Bheggars at the weekend.

Aye ok cheers for that ya shite bag.

Goldson at this level has a mistake in him.

In the last few months I can think of Bellingham for Dortmund at Ibrox, the Europa League final, two goals tonight, and but for McLaughlin we would have been 3-0 down in Belgium.

We’re far too passive and need a centre half to attack the ball on set pieces.

Like Spurs PSV are a big physical team. Why can’t we source similar players? Their blond CB who is enormous is on loan from Everton. Do we look at guys like them.

Folk go off their fucking nut when we loan in players from the PL, especially young guys.

We no doubt do though.

1st goal was a good delivery and Goldson was more reactive than anything else because Tillman missed it. 2nd goal I’d say was down to zonal marking. Can’t see why Goldsons getting all the flack

Back