Champions League Qualification

I haven’t checked but the poster I quoted said it.
We are the 33rd highest ranked team in terms of coefficient in Europe with a rating of 50.250. A large %age of the teams above us will be in the CL groups where we would probably scrape pot3 if it fell our way. Only Benfica are higher ranked than us in the non champions qualifying stage of the CL and we would've been the highest ranked in the Champions Path, just above Dynamo Zagreb, to give it some perspective. We will probably be the 6th or 7th highest ranked team in it depending on which teams go straight in from the bigger leagues and what their coefficients are. If Feyenoord win the Conference League that may change and we may end up being highest ranked in pot2 as they have a lower coefficient than us but would go straight in pot1 as winners. Celtic were high up in Pot2 and could've got pot1 if results went their way last season if I remember correctly, and they only had 44 points at the time I'm sure. I'm pretty confident we will end up pot1 when the dust settles though. Assuming we lose out on the CL which I haven't given up hope on yet. Despite the disappointment of last night it cannot be underestimated just what these players have achieved over the last 4 seasons. It's remarkable.

When do we find out what's happening with Ukrainian teams in Europe next season?

I always want to avoid Scandinavian teams in these qualifiers due to their summer football.
The only potential scandinavian team we could face in the qualifiers is Midtylland, who we skelped previously, and that is assuming they get past their own qualifier against either Fenerbahce or Apoel, which isn't a given for them. We will also have started our season by our first qualifier and will be much better prepared match fitness wise for it than previous seasons.

Basically, it'll be teams we know we're capable of beating over 2 legs if it was the Europa last 16. But the difference is we'll have to bring our March form straight up front to playing that way in August, so want to avoid Scandi type clubs who have summer seasons.

Due to Russian clubs getting kicked out, we've managed to sneak into the 3rd Qual round, so that definitely helps a lot.

First game - Draw on July 18th
CL 3rd Qual Round
All the winners from 2nd Qual Rd prev round (runners up of Turkey, Cyprus, Denmark, Dynamo Kiev) plus teams who finished 2nd in Holland (PSV), Belgium (Union) and Austria (Sturm Graz), 3rd in Portugal (Benfica) and France (Monaco/Marseille/Rennes) enter.

We are basically in a mini-group stage with the teams in this round, no new teams are added in the next round - it's more of a whittling down process. 8 teams in this round, 4 in the next, 2 go through to the CL groups.

In this round, we are near-guaranteed to be seeded, and so most likely opponents are Sturm Graz, Union SG, and the likes of Midtjylland, Fenerbache, Rennes or PSV.

If we LOSE: We drop into the Europa group stages.

If we win:

Second Game - Draw on August 1st
CL Playoff

No new teams, 4 winners, 2 ties total. All depends on who is on form early in the season and who has what coefficient, but thankfully our amazing Euro runs of the last few years have left us in a great position. Us and Benfica are likely to be the 2 seeded teams provided we get this far.

Again, if we lose: we go straight to the Europa groups (both losers from 3rd Qual and Playoff go in from the League path, oddly)

If we win: Celebrate!

So it's very much doable, but requires a wee bit of luck in the draw to stay away from the teams who have summer seasons, and mostly requires us to do our transfer business EARLY. Everything has to be sorted and ready to go as soon as possible. No fucking around and selling players, then entering the qualifiers with half a first team, boys coming in on loan mid-August and being flung into qualification games.... we've seen that story before. We have to take this seriously, and we have to get all our main business done and dusted by the end of July.

Very achievable, key is bringing in new players we need before the ties. The teams we would be up against are europa league standard and very beatable.

Basically, it'll be teams we know we're capable of beating over 2 legs if it was the Europa last 16. But the difference is we'll have to bring our March form straight up front to playing that way in August, so want to avoid Scandi type clubs who have summer seasons.

Due to Russian clubs getting kicked out, we've managed to sneak into the 3rd Qual round, so that definitely helps a lot.

First game - Draw on July 18th
CL 3rd Qual Round
All the winners from 2nd Qual Rd prev round (runners up of Turkey, Cyprus, Denmark, Dynamo Kiev) plus teams who finished 2nd in Holland (PSV), Belgium (Union) and Austria (Sturm Graz), 3rd in Portugal (Benfica) and France (Monaco/Marseille/Rennes) enter.

We are basically in a mini-group stage with the teams in this round, no new teams are added in the next round - it's more of a whittling down process. 8 teams in this round, 4 in the next, 2 go through to the CL groups.

In this round, we are near-guaranteed to be seeded, and so most likely opponents are Sturm Graz, Union SG, and the likes of Midtjylland, Fenerbache, Rennes or PSV.

If we LOSE: We drop into the Europa group stages.

If we win:

Second Game - Draw on August 1st
CL Playoff

No new teams, 4 winners, 2 ties total. All depends on who is on form early in the season and who has what coefficient, but thankfully our amazing Euro runs of the last few years have left us in a great position. Us and Benfica are likely to be the 2 seeded teams provided we get this far.

Again, if we lose: we go straight to the Europa groups (both losers from 3rd Qual and Playoff go in from the League path, oddly)

If we win: Celebrate!

So it's very much doable, but requires a wee bit of luck in the draw to stay away from the teams who have summer seasons, and mostly requires us to do our transfer business EARLY. Everything has to be sorted and ready to go as soon as possible. No fucking around and selling players, then entering the qualifiers with half a first team, boys coming in on loan mid-August and being flung into qualification games.... we've seen that story before. We have to take this seriously, and we have to get all our main business done and dusted by the end of July.
I'd add to that, if we lose in the playoff round we also get handed €5m. Another thing that Malmö defeat cost us.

Will be tough and will need to be earned.

Just hope we hit the ground running and sign a couple of players of quality and starters

When do we find out what's happening with Ukrainian teams in Europe next season?
Russian you mean?

Already confirmed still banned hence why we start in QR3 instead of QR2

They got automatic place in group stage as Scotland moved on that as well although they would got it as the titleholder spot isn't been used

As for Ukraine - Shakhtar Donetsk are in the group stage since the titleholder spot isn't been used while Dynamo Keiv start in QR2 League route who we could meet

Marseille would be seeded.

The most important thing is we would be seeded for the playoff, as would Benfica or the team that beat them. We would play either Kyiv/the team that has their seeding, or the winner of the Marseille game.

The team has been together for a number of seasons and needs freshened up. I would keep, Tav, Bassey, Lundstram, Lowry and Morelos. The rest would be up for offers. It’s important that Gio is in charge of transfers so that the new players fit his system. Get them in early and ready for the CL qualifiers.

Yep believe it’s the same as last year. We need some luck in the draw
Got that last year and look what happened , na bring them fucking on . PS I’m still in Seville pished and going through the %^*& every lady's front bottom their pish stage .

How soon is the game to be played? Before our first league match?
R1 Sat 30th July Away
CLQR3 1st leg Tues/Wed 2nd/3rd August
R2 Sat 6th August Home
CLQR3 2nd leg Tues 9th August
R3 Sat 13th August
CLPO 1st Leg Tues/Wed 16th/17th August
R4 Sat 20th August
CLPO 2nd Leg Tues/Wed 23rd/24th August
R5 w/e 27th August

Russian you mean?

Already confirmed still banned hence why we start in QR3 instead of QR2

They got automatic place in group stage as Scotland moved on that as well although they would got it as the titleholder spot isn't been used

As for Ukraine - Shakhtar Donetsk are in the group stage since the titleholder spot isn't been used while Dynamo Keiv start in QR2 League route who we could meet
No I mean Ukraine.

It's not been confirmed if their 2022/23 season will go ahead as planned or not yet.

PSV are likely to be the 4th seeds so the 3rd qualifying round should be ok, playoffs will be really tough - could be something like:-

Seeds
Benfica
Rangers

Unseeded
Dynamo Kiev
PSV

Consolation is if we lose that we go into Pot 1 of Europa League Group Stages!
Everyone would be wanting Kiev for obvious reasons as they havent played in over a year and lost a lot of players

Ah ok but Ukraine have put forward the teams for Europe based on the 2021/22 ending in February
Yeah but I think they would do that anyway as the first qualifying round isn't for another 3 months and they don't know what the situation will look like by then.

If the Ukranian league doesn't go ahead then I don't see how Shaktar or Dynamo Kiev could compete in European competitions.

Yeah but I think they would do that anyway as the first qualifying round isn't for another 3 months and they don't know what the situation will look like by then.

If the Ukranian league doesn't go ahead then I don't see how Shaktar or Dynamo Kiev could compete in European competitions.
Both have playing games as the moment outside of the country obliviously but it might be enough, UEFA will judge correctly nearer the time

Both have playing games as the moment outside of the country obliviously but it might be enough, UEFA will judge correctly nearer the time
Wasn't aware of that! All friendly games I take it it?

I can't imagine the majority of their players would be happy to waste a year of their career playing friendlies every week. So you would imagine they'd be considerably weaker if that was the case.

Maybe Uefa will let the bigger teams join a foreign league for a season if they're invited.

Will be tough, third round is achievable. Second may not. I’d much rather get through the third round of CL qualifying then loose to go into the EUL for another shot next year.

Either that, or qualify. Get Frankfurt in the CL, beat them in their midden, then bring them here, hopefully it will be a -4C night, then deny them food and drink, turn a “faulty” sprinkler on them and let Mother Nature do the rest.

Wasn't aware of that! All friendly games I take it it?

I can't imagine the majority of their players would be happy to waste a year of their career playing friendlies every week. So you would imagine they'd be considerably weaker if that was the case.

Maybe Uefa will let the bigger teams join a foreign league for a season if they're invited.
Yeah friendlies/fundraising games

Yeah it will interesting beyond this season for the Ukrainian League

R1 Sat 30th July Away
CLQR3 1st leg Tues/Wed 2nd/3rd August
R2 Sat 6th August Home
CLQR3 2nd leg Tues 9th August
R3 Sat 13th August
CLPO 1st Leg Tues/Wed 16th/17th August
R4 Sat 20th August
CLPO 2nd Leg Tues/Wed 23rd/24th August
R5 w/e 27th August

Does being seeded guarantee the 2nd leg of these games is at home?

I have asked a few people this and just want to know if anyone can confirm so am I right in saying we are gaurenteed Europa group stages no matter what?

forget that got it confirmed.

a decent safety net if we get beat in play offs.

Will be tough, third round is achievable. Second may not. I’d much rather get through the third round of CL qualifying then loose to go into the EUL for another shot next year.
Not quite sure what you are trying to say - we are in the 3rd round and if we win that we are in the Playoff round.

Win both and we are in CL Group Stages, lose either one and we are in EL Group Stages (likely Pot 1).

Back