Chesterfield 3 Rangers 0 Anglo Scottish Cup - 40 years ago today.

Only time I was offered free tickets for Ibrox by my wife's cousin who was Chesterfields goally. Turned them down as he was an obnoxious p---k and boy am I glad I did. Side note his father's house was called "Ibrox"

Was there myself, a pal from Ulster with Rangers leanings was seeing a girl from Mansfield at the time and her brother put us up for the night. Wasn't far from there to Chesterfield, those two cant stand each other. Remember enjoying many pints of Mansfield Bitter. Good couple of days ruined by the football.
Where has the time gone...!?
Was back in Chesterfield for the first time since then a couple of years back, believe the ground is a car park now sadly.

Last edited:
Down on the special .Held at Carlisle I think for what felt like forever .It pished down all day .Off the train at Chesterfield to be met and lined up by Chesterfield's finest on horseback on one side and dog handlers on the other . Shite game . Back on the train for two older bears still pished to moan at me all the way back up the road to shut that fuckin winday(the wee hopper ones). It's pretty hard when theres no glass in the fuckin thing.Definitely not one of the better away trips.

Some great fan footage on this clip but also a reminder of one of the worse results in the clubs history.

Rangers actually responded to this shocker days later by beating Celtic by the same scoreline at Ibrox.
Did Phil Bonnyman not play a blinder,or am i just getting old?

My 1st time following Rangers outside of Scotland and went on the KP Loyal.
Despite the score I enjoyed the whole experience.
We came back on a low but then hammered the Paedos on the Saturday :D

Was there myself, a pal from Ulster with Rangers leanings was seeing a girl from Mansfield at the time and her brother put us up for the night. Wasn't far from there to Chesterfield, those two cant stand each other. Remember enjoying many pints of Mansfield Bitter. Good couple of days ruined by the football.
Where has the time gone...!?
Was back in Chesterfield for the first time since then a couple of years back, believe the ground is a car park now sadly.
Their rivalry has a lot to do with the miner's strikes in the 80s
One town voted to work and the other voted to strike
Can't remember which way round though
Went to a game at Chesterfield in 1978 remember the ground well
And the crooked spire

My first OF game was on the Saturday after this debacle. That lot were chanting Chesterfield and we were giving them big licks about Jim Watt winning at the boxing the night before (they'd rolled out the carpet to his opponent, an American with the name of Sean O'Grady, when he appeared on the pitch at the piggery the week before. Turned out, despite his name, he was a Southern Baptist :))). We cuffed them 3-0 and it should have been more, which went some way to me getting over the Chesterfield game. It was still embarrassing though!

My 1st time following Rangers outside of Scotland and went on the KP Loyal.
Despite the score I enjoyed the whole experience.
We came back on a low but then hammered the Paedos on the Saturday :D
I was also on that bus but I drove up from Nottingham the day before to go back down on the bus!!:eek:

Travelled to this on Greenock Rangers supporters bus. Horrendous result. Sore one

I was there!!!!! Came over from Derby in two car loads and we got jumped by group of fans after the game and had a right set to, but we seen them off. Had to drive down through a public park to get out!

Back