Child abuser Jim Torbett ran Tommy Burns and Sean Fallon testimonials for Celtic FC

Call me a cynic but this has been talked about for decades. A brief flurry of articles and then it disappears for years. Then another brief mention in one or two tabloids then it disappears for years again.

The Scottish mhedia simply don't have the appetite to run with this the way they should be. There's a reason behind this and we all know what it is. If this scandal had been linked to us rather than the scum, we would have been battered from pillar to post for years and it would still be going on.

I've heard it all 15 years ago, 10 years ago, 2 years ago etc etc and now I'm hearing it all again. Aye sellik and their separate entity of a boys club must be really crapping themselves - I don't think so.

Cover up then, cover up now
Agree wholeheartedly, unfortunately for everyone concerned, this will run for a while and then fizzle out, thought by this time there would be something more concrete from the law firm representing the lads caught up in this.

You can find some of these on YouTube. I'm sure one is on a page called Giro Productions.
Sure this is it
Guy that runs this page is the son of a well known prison escaper from Glasgow. He also has videos of Republican scum walks. You see him telling the police to jail protesters against one of the recent ones along the barras. Typical mentally challenged basically

That’s creepy as %^*& at the start

I said it a long time ago. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that a paedophile ring was operating out of that club, spanning at a very minimum UK wide.

It's no coincidence Saville turned up at Celtic Park.

With the London Media now involved hopefully they join the dots.

It's the biggest scandal in the history of British Sport. Hundreds of innocent and vulnerable kids abused. Yet our First Minister would rather tweet last night about issues in US Domestic Politics that have no impact on our daily lives than fight for justice for families who live in the country she actually runs and is the figurehead for.

Our media and political class are an absolute disgrace.

Call me a cynic but this has been talked about for decades. A brief flurry of articles and then it disappears for years. Then another brief mention in one or two tabloids then it disappears for years again.

The Scottish mhedia simply don't have the appetite to run with this the way they should be. There's a reason behind this and we all know what it is. If this scandal had been linked to us rather than the scum, we would have been battered from pillar to post for years and it would still be going on.

I've heard it all 15 years ago, 10 years ago, 2 years ago etc etc and now I'm hearing it all again. Aye sellik and their separate entity of a boys club must be really crapping themselves - I don't think so.

Cover up then, cover up now

I don't think it's going away. Not this time.

the article is from Apple News. i guess they are about to lose some customers. (Not many though a mhanks giro wouldnt stretch as far as any apple products)

In my opinion , there is no doubt that Torbett was both providing victims for and was protecting one or more senior board members of Nonce FC How else do you explain his appointment to these “prestigious” positions for years after they were made aware of his crimes. Someone must know

It's genuinely mind blowing that their abhorrent 'separate entity' lie hasn't been completely ripped to shreds by the Scottish media by now. Good on the Times for continuing to expose them.

What a slap in the face to every boy who played for CBC them trying to say you weren't actually playing for Celtic. Laughable.
Its sickening.

These revelations in the Times - can anyone tell me if they appear nationally or just in the Scottish editions?

I said it a long time ago. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that a paedophile ring was operating out of that club, spanning at a very minimum UK wide.

It's no coincidence Saville turned up at Celtic Park.

With the London Media now involved hopefully they join the dots.

It's the biggest scandal in the history of British Sport. Hundreds of innocent and vulnerable kids abused. Yet our First Minister would rather tweet last night about issues in US Domestic Politics that have no impact on our daily lives than fight for justice for families who live in the country she actually runs and is the figurehead for.

Our media and political class are an absolute disgrace.

100% right DB. A scandal.

Well done to you and all others working with you, I believe the biggest paedophile ring in WORLD sport may well just about to be exposed. All those involved in the cover up are hopefully bricking it.
Hope your right but this has been said for a very long time
Did notice that the Grays and the fella Woods have been getting it stinking from the horrible hordes on Twatter, so for their sake hopefully this whole sorry episode will finally see the light of day, it certainly has been a long time coming for these poor souls.

Every one of us who directly or indirectly know Celtic fans have a duty to be raising these stories with them in a calm and reasonable manner.

The only way in my mind that this further break through into even more mainstream consciousness is by the Celtic fans somehow objectively looking at this and coming to the rightful conclusion that the narrative their club has built up is an absolute sham.

As those who have tirelessly worked to get to this stage know, it will be a unbelievably tough challenge to break through the mentally challenged self constructed defence of their club, but all it takes is to get through to some and word will spread. The game is up, their entire history is built on the abject misery of children and countless adult lives ruined.

Us frothing at the mouth and singing BJK isn't enough. If you know any of their fans then all football matters are off the table. I refuse to engage with anyone about league title nonsense or treble treble shite until they have the decency to address their clubs horrific past.

Any Celtic fan who show themselves to actually be decent humans and pressure their club into accepting responsibility should be encouraged.

This isn't an Us vs them issue. It is a moral issue far beyond red white and blue or green and white.

You will notice I refrained from Nonce FC chat and Bheasts etc.... It is time we took the tribal football hatred out of this. It is time for adults to address this issue separate from football rivalry.

Celtic's history is built on the abuse of children. It's time for their fans and their club to take responsibility.

In my opinion , there is no doubt that Torbett was both providing victims for and was protecting one or more senior board members of Nonce FC How else do you explain his appointment to these “prestigious” positions for years after they were made aware of his crimes. Someone must know
It takes a different breed to use someone's services again after knowingly they have been involved in child abuse isn't that right Davie (Peace Process)Provan.

A prolific sexual predator organised lavish official events with guests including a future cardinal and a bishop to celebrate the careers of Celtic FC players, The Times can disclose.

Jim Torbett, founder of Celtic Boys Club, was found guilty of abusing boys between 1986 and 1994 and jailed for six years in 2018. He was given a two-year sentence a decade earlier for molesting players at the feeder club between 1967 and 1974.

It has now emerged that Torbett, 72, organised testimonial events for Tommy Burns, the former Celtic player, coach and manager, and Sean Fallon, a long-serving assistant manager and player, further undermining claims that Torbett had no connection with the Parkhead club.

Guests who accepted his invitation to honour Fallon — Jock Stein’s right-hand man and confidant — included an archbishop, a bishop, the Lisbon Lions European Cup-winners, and Celtic FC’s directors, players and management team. Being given responsibility for such prestigious events suggests he was highly regarded by senior figures within Parkhead at the time.

While expressing sympathy for his victims Celtic have sought to distance themselves from Torbett’s crimes, insisting that the boys’ club was an “entirely separate organisation”.

However, The Times has also revealed that Torbett was hired by Celtic to run their club shops, in addition to his coaching duties, in the early 1990s.

A report on Fallon’s testimonial dinner, held in November 1993, in the club’s official magazine, thanks “Jim Torbett and his associates for organising such a wonderful occasion”. The Celtic View confirmed the guests of honour included “the Celtic directors, Archbishop Thomas Winning of Glasgow and Bishop Joseph Devine of Motherwell”.

In 2018 the Scottish child abuse inquiry heard evidence that Winning, who in 1994 became the second Scottish cardinal since the reformation, offered money to a woman in exchange for her silence over sexual abuse that took place in a Catholic-run residential home for children in the Sixties.

After being elevated to cardinal he caused outrage by asserting that the church had no obligation to report alleged paedophile priests to the police.

In 2013 Devine, who died last year, told a man seeking an apology for being raped by a priest as a child: “Can you not let him off with it? He’s an old man.”

A programme for the Burns testimonial match with Liverpool, which took place at Parkhead in 1987, confirms that Torbett was vice-chairman of the organising committee.

Burns played for the boys’ club from 1970-73 and frequently attended club functions and prizegivings when he went on to play for the senior club and served as manager. He died of skin cancer, aged 51, in 2008.

Torbett was kicked out of the boys’ club by Stein, then the Celtic manager, in 1974 after hearing claims of abuse — but the police were not informed. Stein, who died while Scotland manager in 1985, had given Torbett permission to start the boys’ club.

In March 1984 The Glasgow Evening Times reported that Stein would be making a “personal appearance” at a branch of Torbett’s Trophy Centre on Kilmarnock Road in Glasgow.

After his sacking Torbett was allowed to return four years later and went on to molest more boys, remaining there until 1996 when claims of abuse appeared in the press. Passing sentence in 2018 Lord Beckett said: “You used the club as a front and a recruiting ground for boys who you could sexually abuse.”

In February Celtic said it was “very sorry” the abuse had happened but insisted the boys’ club was a separate organisation.

After Torbett’s 2018 conviction the club issued a statement which said that allegations of abuse at the boys’ club “first emerged in the 1990s”. It subsequently emerged that Celtic launched an internal investigation in 1986 which “cleared” Torbett and his colleagues and stated their intention was for the claims to be “buried once and for all”.

Celtic did not respond to a request for comment.

BN94 - have you or people you know been in touch with The Times? They seem informed and determined.

Marc Horne has definitely been putting them under pressure with his professional reporting and let’s face it their crimes which Nonce FC have covered up are disgusting as the victims are young children

SMSM in the main have protected the vile bastards which in a free society is unreal

It shows them all up as vile paedo protectors and enablers and child sex abuse predators

Also how the Scot Govt but especially Krankie and Useless who have ignored repeated requests from The Gray family and other victims like Gordon Woods etc

Shame on them

I hope more English based professional investigative journalists get involved and out Nonce FC ans reveal all of their crimes and cover ups

The net is closing in isn't it...or is that wishful thinking? I want their internal investigation laid out alongside a Westminster led public inquiry so the world can see the depravity of this cult laid bare. Shame on the Scottish Government, all MPs of any party who haven't pursued this, the Scottish media and our old friends at the SFA who are complicit by their silence.

Every one of us who directly or indirectly know Celtic fans have a duty to be raising these stories with them in a calm and reasonable manner.

The only way in my mind that this further break through into even more mainstream consciousness is by the Celtic fans somehow objectively looking at this and coming to the rightful conclusion that the narrative their club has built up is an absolute sham.

As those who have tirelessly worked to get to this stage know, it will be a unbelievably tough challenge to break through the mentally challenged self constructed defence of their club, but all it takes is to get through to some and word will spread. The game is up, their entire history is built on the abject misery of children and countless adult lives ruined.

Us frothing at the mouth and singing BJK isn't enough. If you know any of their fans then all football matters are off the table. I refuse to engage with anyone about league title nonsense or treble treble shite until they have the decency to address their clubs horrific past.

Any Celtic fan who show themselves to actually be decent humans and pressure their club into accepting responsibility should be encouraged.

This isn't an Us vs them issue. It is a moral issue far beyond red white and blue or green and white.

You will notice I refrained from Nonce FC chat and Bheasts etc.... It is time we took the tribal football hatred out of this. It is time for adults to address this issue separate from football rivalry.

Celtic's history is built on the abuse of children. It's time for their fans and their club to take responsibility.
Never going to happen, you have certain type of their fans.
The ones who are absolute no rights.
The ones who you thought were decent but as soon as the subject is brought up they start insinuating the person bring it up is worse than the actual crime itself.
And the ones who merely sit in silence because the only care about the football.
Given that most of these people are brainwashed by a cult that has been at it for centuries most simply except that it’s something that has always being covered up there for the norm.

Tbh mate they've brought all the name calling and slander on themselves on how they've dealt with it over the years. I'll be the first to admit I use it in point scoring arguments, but until they start to take on the responsibility they have as a club and support instead of the Neely Dunn patter it will never stop

Tbh mate they've brought all the name calling and slander on themselves on how they've dealt with it over the years. I'll be the first to admit I use it in point scoring arguments, but until they start to take on the responsibility they have as a club and support instead of the Neely Dunn patter it will never stop
If any one of them say I’m point scoring, I will tell them they are complicit in the cover up, as all they are trying to do is stop me talking about it.

A prolific sexual predator organised lavish official events with guests including a future cardinal and a bishop to celebrate the careers of Celtic FC players, The Times can disclose.

Jim Torbett, founder of Celtic Boys Club, was found guilty of abusing boys between 1986 and 1994 and jailed for six years in 2018. He was given a two-year sentence a decade earlier for molesting players at the feeder club between 1967 and 1974.

It has now emerged that Torbett, 72, organised testimonial events for Tommy Burns, the former Celtic player, coach and manager, and Sean Fallon, a long-serving assistant manager and player, further undermining claims that Torbett had no connection with the Parkhead club.

Guests who accepted his invitation to honour Fallon — Jock Stein’s right-hand man and confidant — included an archbishop, a bishop, the Lisbon Lions European Cup-winners, and Celtic FC’s directors, players and management team. Being given responsibility for such prestigious events suggests he was highly regarded by senior figures within Parkhead at the time.

While expressing sympathy for his victims Celtic have sought to distance themselves from Torbett’s crimes, insisting that the boys’ club was an “entirely separate organisation”.

However, The Times has also revealed that Torbett was hired by Celtic to run their club shops, in addition to his coaching duties, in the early 1990s.

A report on Fallon’s testimonial dinner, held in November 1993, in the club’s official magazine, thanks “Jim Torbett and his associates for organising such a wonderful occasion”. The Celtic View confirmed the guests of honour included “the Celtic directors, Archbishop Thomas Winning of Glasgow and Bishop Joseph Devine of Motherwell”.

In 2018 the Scottish child abuse inquiry heard evidence that Winning, who in 1994 became the second Scottish cardinal since the reformation, offered money to a woman in exchange for her silence over sexual abuse that took place in a Catholic-run residential home for children in the Sixties.

After being elevated to cardinal he caused outrage by asserting that the church had no obligation to report alleged paedophile priests to the police.

In 2013 Devine, who died last year, told a man seeking an apology for being raped by a priest as a child: “Can you not let him off with it? He’s an old man.”

A programme for the Burns testimonial match with Liverpool, which took place at Parkhead in 1987, confirms that Torbett was vice-chairman of the organising committee.

Burns played for the boys’ club from 1970-73 and frequently attended club functions and prizegivings when he went on to play for the senior club and served as manager. He died of skin cancer, aged 51, in 2008.

Torbett was kicked out of the boys’ club by Stein, then the Celtic manager, in 1974 after hearing claims of abuse — but the police were not informed. Stein, who died while Scotland manager in 1985, had given Torbett permission to start the boys’ club.

In March 1984 The Glasgow Evening Times reported that Stein would be making a “personal appearance” at a branch of Torbett’s Trophy Centre on Kilmarnock Road in Glasgow.

After his sacking Torbett was allowed to return four years later and went on to molest more boys, remaining there until 1996 when claims of abuse appeared in the press. Passing sentence in 2018 Lord Beckett said: “You used the club as a front and a recruiting ground for boys who you could sexually abuse.”

In February Celtic said it was “very sorry” the abuse had happened but insisted the boys’ club was a separate organisation.

After Torbett’s 2018 conviction the club issued a statement which said that allegations of abuse at the boys’ club “first emerged in the 1990s”. It subsequently emerged that Celtic launched an internal investigation in 1986 which “cleared” Torbett and his colleagues and stated their intention was for the claims to be “buried once and for all”.

Celtic did not respond to a request for comment.
Wouldn't mind seeing who was on McGrain's Testimonial Commitee or any other player around that time did they all just hire the same people and do you get paid for it

This part needs highlighting:

" First emerged in the 1990's " yet cleared Torbett and the Ring in 1986.

Is there no end to their lies?

It’s from the times mate in the Apple platform
On the website of the Times you have to click on the Scotland section to access the story. So presumably it hasn’t yet been deemed of national interest. At least not now. It’s the story of a cover up, or a cover up of a cover up which will pique national and even worldwide interest. For now though it seems that it’s really for Scottish eyes only and we all know the reaction ( or lack of ) we’ll get here. Maybe in the long run it’s the complicity of suppressing the story which will cause them the worst damage. I live in hope.

Pretty telling article that.

I’m surprised. Not at the extent of the crimes but at the extent of the reporting. Sad isn’t it?
It shows up the press in this country for what they are.
Prepared to ignore what’s happening on there own doorstep in the hope that it all disappears quietly and is forgotten about.
I think those that run the newspapers up here must have some skeletons in there own cupboard for trying so hard to keep a lid on this.

Just watch and listen to it being debated over the coming months.

Spin is already underway
Clyde and BBC won't even discuss it on phone ins, posters on here had written confirmation from Bauer the owners who said it wasn't football related...yet a tax bill was because it could impact a football club?! The fact there is a multi million pound lawsuit hanging over them it very much is a footballing matter by the same reasoning.

Follow the money. Which Nonce FC board member proposed anything related to awarding Torbett or his associates contracts or positions and who seconded it. Who authorized payments to any of his business’
Which board member invited predators of the likes of Saville and Winning to to functions at their cesspit. Were any payments or donations made

Disgusting, but you expect nothing else from that scum club. You kick someone out the club (who you apparently don't employ or have any connections with) for abusing weins only to welcome him back and ask him to run events for you among other things while paying him handsomely for doing it. Were all these business opportunities handed to Torbett 'payment' for other services he was quietly providing?

Interesting section on Thomas Winning. I haven't been reading every article around this so I may have missed it, but is this the first we've seen the press connecting some dots and hinting at a wider network that Celtc were, at the very least, a part of?

That's because you can bet your eye teeth the list of offending priests in the wider community will almost certainly dwarf the one associated with the club like no other.

The Celtic account manager at Hollicom must be shitting himself to have a paper as respected as The Times running a series of damming stories on your client. I think they could bat this stuff away if it was coming from press of the calibre of The Record or The Digger but the whole country takes notice of the Times. Keep it coming, they’ve been deflecting this for too long and controlling the narrative.
How many people read the Times in Scotland ?.

Reading this latest report makes me sick but if I'm being honest not surprised their whole religious cult is based on perversion as proven time and again can we really be taken aback that it filter's down to your average Lego muncher they see this as normal behavior.

If they had came out 20 years ago when Torbett was first arrested and admitted they done wrong they might come out looking out but why didn’t they ?

Simple - back then we had control over the governing bodies and had the far better relationship with the media . They also have a government that needs the catholic vote.

It’s all related. Yes they will pay compensation to victims but other than that this is the best thing for everything to come out . They know as a club they won’t get punished. There will be no investigation into them and the club will escape unharmed except for maybe a few pennies to victims. The control they have currently over areas of govt , media and the governing bodies will see to that

Back