Chris Coleman - good manager or one lucky tournament?

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
I suspect he'll now leave the Wales job and likely get linked with a few jobs in England at clubs where the manager is on shaky ground.

What's the thoughts on how good a manager he is?

Taking Wales to the last 4 in the Euros was an incredible achievement, but other than that one tournament what else impresses on his CV?

Did he get lucky with Gareth Bale winning matches with his goals, or is he a good manager who will do a good job for a club?

Think he'll end up with a championship club, and he'll likely struggle after a while. Wondering the same about Micheal O'Neill, where does he go if he leaves his post?

Watching wales last night and tbh they looked like the wales of old... take bale out and they are terrible.
Can I also add the r.o.I wernt any better a punt up the park team.. ......

He’s an English championship manager at best - same with O’Neill.

If you can make your team hard to beat you’re half way there in international management.

Not a great club manager & very lucky to have Bale but has done really well with Wales; modern international management seems to be a safe space for this type

What about Michael O' Neill? Northern Ireland are defensively brilliant under him

TBF to O'Neill I rate him higher than I do Coleman and he did a really good job at Shamrock Rovers too at club level

IIRC he got them into the Europa League group stage and won two leagues.

I wouldn't be adverse to the idea.

Coleman done nothing at club level management with Fulham or Spanish team he was with. Got lucky with Bale and a few others at the euros with many big nations being so poor.

I liked him as a player, but as far as I am aware, he is a cock. A dreadful manager and any club going for him are doomed, doomed I tell ya!!

They would have struggled to qualify for the euros without Bale’s efforts, and by Coleman’s admission they were lucky to beat Northern Ireland in the last 16.

I’d say their recent success is much more about Bale than Coleman.

Always thought he was awful and really got lucky. With Wales and Charlotte Jackson. Will flop big time in his next club job.

Just looked at first comments, typical FF, not a fuc**n clue what they are talking about, any Scottish manager who took us to semis of the Euros would be a national hero, Coleman has done a great job, all the Welsh players want him to stay, lay off !

He seems to have instilled a fantastic team spirit within his group of players, so he must be a good man manager which can count for a lot.

He was fortunate that in the Euros he had in form players such as Bale, Alan, Ramsey and Williams. Bake has missed a few games in WC qualifiers, and the other three have lost form. But to answer the question, he he must be half decent to take Wales so far.

Wales were a laughing stock before he got the job and he took them to the semis of The Euros and it took until their 10th game in WC Qualifying to lose.

Done decent at Fulham.

Not the dud he's been potrayed as on this thread imo. Decent manager.

Last night, unfortunately for him Joe Allen got injured early doors. It was always going to be difficult without Bale, but that was a turning point for me.

Aaron Ramsey couldn't step up last night and appeared nervous/off the boil.

I think Coleman is made for the Wales job. That's his level/gig.

Wales were a laughing stock before he got the job and he took them to the semis of The Euros and it took until their 10th game in WC Qualifying to lose.

Done decent at Fulham.

Not the dud he's been potrayed as on this thread imo. Decent manager.

Gary Speed took Wales from 117th to 45th before his death and was the catalyst for their upturn in results.

Coleman lost 6 of his first 7 games including a 6-1 scudding by Serbia

Taking your country to a Euro semi is an achievement but suppose having Bale helped... He is in the same mould as Tim Sherwood, absolutely loves himself.

Just over a year ago his wales team comfortably beat a Belgium team with far better players in the quarter finals of a European championship. On that basis alone, forgetting the fact he even got them there, I'd say he is a competent manager.

Lucky to have a player of Bale’s quality to pick, but set up the team to play to that strength in an effective way, which is good management I suppose.

Reminds me of Lawrie Sanchez. Some outstanding results but if he was really top notch he wouldn't be in international management at that age.

If he has any sense he should take the next EPL job that comes up near the bottom of the league, sign on for 3years at £5m a year and that's him made for life regardless of how poor he does. His stock won't get much higher.

More lucky than good imo. Lucky that they have Bale. On skysports news they had Wales' win rate at something like 11% compared to almost 50% with him.

Bale to Wales is Messi to Barca, a 1 man team. Coleman isn't a great manager, they got lucky at the Euros last year.

They were incredibly lucky with the opposition at the euros too, even their qualifying group was pish.

But at the euros, england, Slovakia, a dreadful Russian side everyone was beating, Northern Ireland and Belgium.

Belgium was a great achievement, but even then Begium are notorious for being absolutely honking as a team despite their big name players.

Coleman’s had the luck of the draw and the good fortune to have a couple of real top players in Bale and (at that time) Ramsey, as well as a really solid defence which absolutely never got the credit it deserved because people we’re always falling over themselves to give Bale all the credit.

Back