Chris Solly on Aribo

Charlton captain Chris Solly on talksport there, was asked what kind of player Rangers have got in Aribo. Said hes the best player to come through at Charlton in the last 10 years & says he can go as far as he wants in the game. Nice to hear
Surely it would have been followed by Jim Shite with "ah, but, but ra Sellik would have been a better option in Scotland for him, playing in front of all these wonderful fans" ?

Aribo is going to be superb signing for us. SG's excitement about the lad is palpable.

Our midfield is very good right now.

I think Davis in the deeper role, Aribo and Arfield in a more advanced position will be our strongest three.

Kamara, Jack and Doc will be covering injuries and suspensions. Maybe one of them will come in when we are against stronger teams or certain games away from home.

We are look looking strong.

Surely it would have been followed by Jim Shite with "ah, but, but ra Sellik would have been a better option in Scotland for him, playing in front of all these wonderful fans" ?

Aribo is going to be superb signing for us. SG's excitement about the lad is palpable.

Every single thread with this sort of pish.

Nice words from Solly on Aribo.

All early signs point to him being an absolute bargain for us. You can tell when the selling clubs manager starts coming out with bitter rants that he is just gutted at having lost his best player.

I think Davis in the deeper role, Aribo and Arfield in a more advanced position will be our strongest three.

Kamara, Jack and Doc will be covering injuries and suspensions. Maybe one of them will come in when we are against stronger teams or certain games away from home.

Ryan Jack won’t be used as cover I don’t think mate, Gerrard raves about Jack any time he speaks of him. Davis Jack and Aribo i’d say is our strongest midfield 3, with Arfield and one other playing off the striker in the ‘front’ 3

Our strongest midfield 3 is Jack, Davis, Kamara. Aribo won't be starting many early games imo. The boy looks good but he's hardly kicked a ball for us and I reckon he will rightly have to play his way into the team.

Jack presence on the field makes all the others tick.

Last edited:

Ryan Jack as a backup ? You surely jest.:oops:

He probably is, but being honest, I've yet to see what everyone else is seeing, so far.

Marsellie apart, he's been okay,not outstanding. He played very well against the French side but outstanding to me is what Davis was on Sunday.

Hard to please Loyal.

I’m a wee bit underwhelmed so far too.

He needs time to settle in, which he’ll get. But aye, I’m not yet getting caught up in the hype.

He’s one I’m happy to just wait and see.

Come on now.

The mhedia do enough to add good press for the mentally challengeds. But there really is no need for us to make any up. Just be happy that good stuff like this is being said about our players/team.

Some folk on here are nearly as bad as the deluded Tims when it comes to obsession

I’m delighted that we have 5 or 6 really strong players in midfield and therefore capacity to manage through the league and cup season with cover for injury, suspension, changing things for a specific match.

I can’t see anyone playing the vast majority of matches, we have the opportunity to keep people fresh and have some healthy competition for places.

Davis, Jack and Aribo will be the 3 in midfield, Arfield will take up one of the front three positions.

Lol glad you aren’t the manager
Why? We finished the season as strong as we have been in years. The 3 that finished the season were a major part of that.

None of us know what Aribo will offer, as said, he has hardly kicked a ball for us. Everything so far points at him being a fantastic signing, but for now it's up to him to break into a solid midfield that finished the season so well and bullied the beggars.

Our strongest midfield 3 is Jack, Davis, Kamara. Aribo won't be starting many early games imo. The boy looks good but he's hardly kicked a ball for us and I reckon he will rightly have to play his way into the team.
giphy.gif

Was talking to a bear in work about Aribo's performances so far and we were both raving about him. I said to him that I bet there's people who'll be saying 'I don't quite see it with him yet' or the like. This thread delivered :))

Ryan Jack won’t be used as cover I don’t think mate, Gerrard raves about Jack any time he speaks of him. Davis Jack and Aribo i’d say is our strongest midfield 3, with Arfield and one other playing off the striker in the ‘front’ 3

I think if Jack can start playing balls in behind the defence from deep he will be a star. The one he set up for Candeias in the friendly was excellent.

Aribo would have cost at least 7 or 8 million on the open market.

He will certainly be starting a lot of games.

I’m delighted that we have 5 or 6 really strong players in midfield and therefore capacity to manage through the league and cup season with cover for injury, suspension, changing things for a specific match.

I can’t see anyone playing the vast majority of matches, we have the opportunity to keep people fresh and have some healthy competition for places.

I tend to agree, I think SG is trying to replicate the man City model (certainly as far as our midfield is concerned)

Looking back on last season man City left players out of games that most teams would consider first picks for example a fit de Bruyne was left out of some high profile games, even de Silva at times.

I think the ethos being they are expected to reach the highest of standards at all times

In theory Jack, Kamara, Aribo, Davis & Doc become almost interchangeable with two from the five playing in that role with arfield, Aribo, possibly Jack or Doc also considered for the role slightly further forward.

I think SG expects his players to be able to achieve this rather than having a starting 11 whether they are good enough is the question.

Imo

I think if Jack can start playing balls in behind the defence from deep he will be a star. The one he set up for Candeias in the friendly was excellent.
Defo SOG, final ball and his shooting/finishing are 2 parts of his game that he’ll be working on and learning from the gaffer on, the gaffer being one of the best if not the best striker of a football ever.

I tend to agree, I think SG is trying to replicate the man City model (certainly as far as our midfield is concerned)

Looking back on last season man City left players out of games that most teams would consider first picks for example a fit de Bruyne was left out of some high profile games, even de Silva at times.

I think the ethos being they are expected to reach the highest of standards at all times

In theory Jack, Kamara, Aribo, Davis & Doc become almost interchangeable with two from the five playing in that role with arfield, Aribo, possibly Jack or Doc also considered for the role slightly further forward.

I think SG expects his players to be able to achieve this rather than having a starting 11 whether they are good enough is the question.

Imo

I agree that this model is the aspiration.

I think the back 4 will remain more or less consistent but midfield and forward line will change over time. Good point about the level of player being “good enough” - we are dealing with a level of player who, if they were better would be playing for a top half EPL side or something comparable. They have limitations and we need to recognise that - I think the manager does following last season and he will ply to the strengths of that.

Why? We finished the season as strong as we have been in years. The 3 that finished the season were a major part of that.

None of us know what Aribo will offer, as said, he has hardly kicked a ball for us. Everything so far points at him being a fantastic signing, but for now it's up to him to break into a solid midfield that finished the season so well and bullied the beggars.
That's the way I'm seeing it also.Aribo looks like he is going to be a good one,but he is not yet the polished professional that Jack certainly is.

Think this then Arfield Morelos Jones/ojo

Think this then Arfield Morelos Jones/ojo
Ojo just edges it for me at the moment think he will be more productive certainly goals wise anyway. Was poor on Sunday though I thought and 1 or 2 like that in a row could see Jones/Stewart come in.

Defo SOG, final ball and his shooting/finishing are 2 parts of his game that he’ll be working on and learning from the gaffer on, the gaffer being one of the best if not the best striker of a football ever.

I think we’re already seeing that Defoe.

He had 4 goals last season, second only to Arfield in midfield, and 29.12 as we know was his first too.
And he has got forward more in this new system. Not sure his assists but he has a few I’d suggest.

I think we’re already seeing that Defoe.

He had 4 goals last season, second only to Arfield in midfield, and 29.12 as we know was his first too.
And he has got forward more in this new system. Not sure his assists but he has a few I’d suggest.
Couldn’t agree more mate the goal away to St Joseph’s for me is a prime example of the effect the gaffer is having on him. Getting forward more and that was a difficult finish and he took it superbly.

I’m confident Jack could get into double figures this season.

Aribo would have cost at least 7 or 8 million on the open market.

He will certainly be starting a lot of games.

His supposed price is irrelevant. FWIW I think the boy will be a superstar, all I'm saying is its only fair to the boys who performed last season that they have the jerseys to lose and Aribo will have to force his way in.

His supposed price is irrelevant. FWIW I think the boy will be a superstar, all I'm saying is its only fair to the boys who performed last season that they have the jerseys to lose and Aribo will have to force his way in.
We can't not take the games we've played so far this season in account. Kamara has been poor.

We can't not take the games we've played so far this season in account. Kamara has been poor.
Fitness has a lot to do with performances this early and I don't think anyone can be judged on a pre season friendly performance.

It's all about opinions but for me I would start how we finished and let the new boys fight to show they're better than what we have.

Back