CL this year was about the money. End of

Far too sensible.

Said to my mates in a group chat earlier, the reality is, we are a very good Europa League team.
Ajax are a good CL team.
Ajax just took a 6-1 pasting at home.
Ajax are selling guys at £70-80m. They’re taking our best players off us for £20m.
Like it or not, these clubs are levels above us.
We’ve had two first halves where we shat it and got pumped, but ultimately, we’re like a good under 15 team going up against an elite under 21 team in this competition.
We need to be in the CL group stages regularly to get the income to improve our team, and we probably need another 3/4 years of this with the sustained income to do that.
I agree with so many of your points. Right now I don’t think we are an even good Europa League outfit, our form and approach is quite baffling. Europa League standard is hard to judge right now, but honestly don’t believe we have the same quality or belief we carried v Dortmund, Braga or Leipzig last season.

Its an absolutely rotten dilemma.
Take the money and a battering on the pitch or have some great nights in the EL with a drop to Conference at worst but far less money.

The draw wasn't kind to us for the CL either. Ajax, Liverpool, Napoli one of the worst draws we could get.
If we had won the EL or the SPL we could have got a more favourable CL draw

Hows he not? He regularly plays defensive midfields at home to the likes of Ross County etc, been battered off every half decent team we’ve faced this season. Two 4-0 thrashings of the papes in a calendar year, need I go on?
Have some respect for the person that was a great player and is a decent fella.

I honestly feel that’s the plan here by the club. Delighted to get the finances. Not really that fussed about the results.

The League is our priority.
And tbh it’s right, especially after the group we got. We aren’t expected to do anything this season in UCL, it’ll be next season when we reinvest and see us make a go of it

Look at our team value versus anyone in our group, even in the Europa, we punched above our weight but this is a step too far.
Let's see the step being too far in the league then. If we're getting slapped about in the CL because of funding gaps, and quality gaps, we should be similarly slapping about the absolute sausages we play against in the SPFL, due to funding gaps and quality gaps. But most of the time we huff and puff.
Can't have it both ways.

Let's see the step being too far in the league then. If we're getting slapped about in the CL because of funding gaps, and quality gaps, we should be similarly slapping about the absolute sausages we play against in the SPFL, due to funding gaps and quality gaps. But most of the time we huff and puff.
Can't have it both ways.
Haven't we won 3 games by 4 goals so far?

Haven't we won 3 games by 4 goals so far?
We've also toiled against teams full of players who'd be tilers and plumber's if they weren't playing. If we're claiming quality gaps between us and Liverpool, we should be annihilating every team bar the crash barriers in our league. Every one.

If any player wasnt a player they would have a real job, so not sure what you mean by that. Of course there's a quality gap there always has been and at no point have we annihalated teams every week

We've also toiled against teams full of players who'd be tilers and plumber's if they weren't playing. If we're claiming quality gaps between us and Liverpool, we should be annihilating every team bar the crash barriers in our league. Every one.
What would any player do if they weren't playing football ?

We will finish bottom of our group. Celtic will finish 3rd and progress 2 rounds in the Europa.

We win the league and go straight into CL next season, while Celtic flop in the qualifiers

I honestly feel that’s the plan here by the club. Delighted to get the finances. Not really that fussed about the results.

The League is our priority.
So just for the benefit of those of us who let these clowns rule our life’s, how do you rise above the disappointment and be so philosophical.

Surely if it was about money then w should have tried to get some point
s as you get money for a win etc (I'm being facetious btw)

We will finish bottom of our group. Celtic will finish 3rd and progress 2 rounds in the Europa.

We win the league and go straight into CL next season, while Celtic flop in the qualifiers
They have won 1 actual knockout match in about 20 years mate.

Not a knockout tie to progress, just one match at home to Zenit then got pumped out anyway.

Are we now akin to a wee team that draws a big team in a cup, change to a big stadium to get the money, get scudded but be chuffed as we got some money?

I’m not sure the money is even worth it due to the unrealistic expectations of some fans and the dark clouds it brings over the club, players and management, it’s corrosive rather than a positive.

We have so many that absolute love a crisis and wallow in misery, so facing teams better than we have for over a decade and struggling is manna from heaven for them.

I think the Europa league successes we’ve had led us into a false sense of security, it definitely did for me, but the teams we played those seasons, despite there being some big names were all in the Europa league that particular season for a reason.

We were ecstatic at beating Dortmund, and rightly so, however they had been skelped about their champions league group, beat 4-1 and 3-0 from Ajax.

We got a really tough draw, the champions league might not be as brutal next time, but the jump between the Europa and the Champions league, especially with the sides we’ve drawn, is clearly huge.

The fact we are not CL level when in a group that contains Liverpool, current Italian league leaders and Dutch champions seems to be a new revelation to some

Strange indeed

I’d fancy us in a group that consists Shaktar and Leipzig to at least get 3rd spot, our group is tough, that’s the way it goes at times

Was always going to be about banking the cash, whatever the amount is, and hoping to nick a point here and there

Disappointment yes but it’s where we are unfortunately

We could have spent a further £10m and still been in same place sadly

This level is too much for us, we needed luck with the draw that we didn’t get

Totally agree.

The one other point though, is if we had spent another 5-10m on a couple of players was using CL money to win the league.

That would have secured another pot of cash for next season too I think ?

We won't even make that much anyway, particularly with no wins or draws and our board hoovering funds to cover costs.

After we beat PSV there were lots of posts saying "right who else are we buying then" and it turned out to be no one.

Been a bit of a rude wake up call for us since August! Hopefully better next year.

Of course it was about the money, lets be honest there's no way we could ever win the champions league.

We got unlucky with the draw. But hopefully we can grab something from the remaining 3 games. Let's not join the 0 points list.

If that was true then why not open up and have a go at these teams? We might actually take something. Doesn’t make a difference if it’s just for the money - we already have that secured.

You can only judge the campaign once the groups have finished. Last year at this point in Europa league we were sitting on 3 points and had lost the other games without scoring. You are never going to win every game in Europe, we are still in with a chance of 3rd which most would have taken regardless of the draw.

And here was me thinking that good results in the group stages were financially rewarding. No matter - at least we got something.

Back