Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Rangers 3-1 Partick Thistle - League Cup, 13th August 1960. Andy Little takes on a Thistle player in the opening match of the 1960/61 season:

jpXYLlF.jpg
Baxter's debut.

Rangers 2-1 Celtic - League Cup Final, 26th October 1986. Davie Cooper coolly slots home the winner from the penalty spot. The scum rapidly lost the plot and the match ended in utter chaos. As usual the bastards lost with shame:

7fIl7e5.jpg
Great reaction from Peter Grant

Reactions: ao2
Rangers 0-0 Newcastle United - Fairs Cup SF, 14th May 1969. Andy Penman sees his penalty saved by McFaul, a Belfast lad who was a Rangers supporter I believe:

fMNAiEN.jpg
Was from Coleraine Co Londonderry,Got called Iam short for William,played for Linfield and N.Ireland,never got that many caps because he was up against one of the greatest keepers in the world Pat Jennings,Iam went on to manage the Magpies.

Rangers 2-1 Celtic - League Cup Final, 24th October 1964. The match is over and captain Jim Baxter and the players celebrate. The "faithful through and through" myth of the scum support was never better exemplified than in this photo as their end of Hampden appears to be populated by the proverbial "three men and a dug"

AkDVaYl.jpg

Ron McKinnon in a posed photo at Ibrox, c.1969:

JYVul9E.jpg
Rangers always did a series of these type of pics in the sixties and early 70's. I remember getting them from either the old red evening times or the green evening citizen. Some classic pics over the years.

McKinnon, Greig, Henderson, Johnston, Persson, Mathieson, Johansen, Dave and Alec Smith, SAF, Penman to name a few.

Rangers 2-1 Celtic - League Cup Final, 24th October 1964. Captain Jim Baxter and one-time skipper Eric Caldow take the cup onto the field at Hampden to show to The Bears. The scum end at this point was already virtually empty:
I always liked this photo. Great reactions from Slim Jim and Eric Caldow. Nice touch too in having Eric, who was a former captain and had returned from his leg break, running out with the captain of the day and the League Cup.

Rangers 2-1 Celtic - League Cup Final, 24th October 1964. The match is over and captain Jim Baxter and the players celebrate. The "faithful through and through" myth of the scum support was never better exemplified than in this photo as their end of Hampden appears to be populated by the proverbial "three men and a dug"
looks like a decent amount of bears in their end of the south stand also

Rangers in 1902:
I wonder if the date on this photo is incorrect. I recognise Alec Smith seated at the right and the trainer looks like James Wilson. However there is no sign of Nicol Smith and I think the lad with the bunnet is the keeper and not Jock Drummond. The keeper does not look like Matt Dickie who played for the real Invincibles. A distinct lack of moustaches which were evident in photos of our teams around the early 1900’s too. Any thoughts (that are printable)?

Last edited:
I wonder if the date on this photo is incorrect. I recognise Alec Smith seated at the right and the trainer looks like James Wilson. However there is no sign of Nicol Smith and I think the lad with the bunnet is the keeper and not Jock Drummond. The keeper does not look like Matt Dickie who played for the real Invincibles. A distinct lack of moustaches which were evident in photos of our teams around the early 1900’s too. Any thoughts (that are printable)?

The photo was captioned 1902 but mistakes can happen. It's definitely from that era though I think , give or take a year or two.

What happened to the forum, can't see any pics?

It seems to happen a lot since the change to the new forum. It will probably come back another time you log in. It's weird it does this as sometimes I can't see the ones I posted then later I can. It happens mainly on my laptop as I can usually see on my phone and tablet.

Rangers always did a series of these type of pics in the sixties and early 70's. I remember getting them from either the old red evening times or the green evening citizen. Some classic pics over the years.

McKinnon, Greig, Henderson, Johnston, Persson, Mathieson, Johansen, Dave and Alec Smith, SAF, Penman to name a few.
The Saturday Evening Times was Pink, not Red. Pink didn't have the same connatations then as it does now.
The pictures would have been issued by the Evening Citizen.

The Saturday Evening Times was Pink, not Red. Pink didn't have the same connatations then as it does now.
The Evening Times and The Evening Citzen both used to produce a pre match Saturday edition which included an A4 size colour souvenir picture. I’m not sure, but I imagine they did the same for Celtc, when they were playing at home.
( IIRC, both the pre match E Times, and Citizen were printed on the normal white newsprint )

The Evening Times and The Evening Citzen both used to produce a pre match Saturday edition which included an A4 size colour souvenir picture. I’m not sure, but I imagine they did the same for Celtc, when they were playing at home.
( IIRC, both the pre match E Times, and Citizen were printed on the normal white newsprint )
The evening editions were coulered.
The Citizen also produced a smaller sized picture at various times.
My mates old man worked for them and told us to come down to Albion St and he would give us some pictures
What he didn't tell us though is that they were all of the same player.
There's only so much you can do with 30 pictures of Davy Wilson.

In our house it was the red and green evening sports papers. As for the Connotations of the colour I fail to see the relevance.

The evening times produced this series of pictures as well as the Citizen, albeit it may have been the earlier edition.

The Saturday Evening Times was pink. The Citizen was green and was never allowed in our house. However I do remember my Dad coming home from a Celtic game at Ibrox (we won) around 1963 with a dual photo from the Citizen which had individual photos of Davie Wilson and John Hughes. One of the photos did not see the light of day again.

Back