Claudio Caniggia

As mentioned, we should have kept him on. This guy was absolutely amazing for us - the fact he was with Dundee was just amazing in the first instance. He done so well with us he ended up back in the Argentina squad - although, he did make a lady's front bottom of that. A truly outstanding player and scored some excellent goals - definitely should have kept him on another year.

Excellent player, i thought we should have kept him on. Might have been getting on a bit but was still fitter, faster and sharper than most of the players in the league. A player of real world class at a time and i enjoyed having him at the club.

He still had a place in the West end of Glasgow for a couple of years after leaving us. To think we let him go and brought in Capucho.

brilliant player, great fitba brain, always gave his all, tore PSG a new one in Paris the time we knocked them out of europe - how times have changed - but will always change back again ....

I will go against the grain here and say that we let him go at the right time as I think he was very close to being done. But the problem was we replaced him with other players who were also done!

He really didn't like Dunfermline. We played them 7 times in the 02/03 season and Caniggia scored in all of them I think.

He was an excellent player for us, especially that season.

He was quite outstanding, but he had the same affliction Niko has, he was a 60 minute man. It was a fine 60 minutes right enough.

He seemed to fucking hate Dunfermline.

Did he not score like 8 or 9 against them in the 02/03 treble season?

Even at his advanced age you could see the quality player in there. Liked a big game performance. Terrible hair though.

Loved him when he was w2ith us. Just seemed a totally dedicated and honest professional. Also genuinely seemed to enjoy his football.
He terrorised the tims in two consecutive Hampden matches and was taken out badly in both.
As someone mentioned above, definitely got rid of him and Numan a year too early. I would bet as well that we ended up paying more money to their replacements than we were prepared to pay these guys. Sad, but not unusual in our transfer dealings over quite a prolonged period now!

Yep rem him saying he was promised a crack at the champions league by mcleish only for new contract not to be offered

Loved him, he always had his hands on his knees and bent over looking knackered after 10 mins but always found a burst of energy and pace, whether that was tracking back or trying to make something happen. Genuine team player.

I came on to post exactly what you have just said. He always looked done then...boom, he was off again with renewed energy. I thought he was an absolutely cracking player for us. I remember watching footage of him at some sort of fans gathering in Argentina, they were going absolutely mental for him, he was a real hero to them.
Incidentally, I'm amazed nobody has posted pictures of his rather splendid looking daughter on this thread.

I wasn't exactly over the moon when we signed him, but soon changed my mind.
Class player - even at 34.

One of my favourite players in recent times.

He was absolutely class. He was great for Dundee (how did they manage to get him in the first place?) & was brilliant for us. He was one of those players who had the ability to single handedly destroy teams with his pace, skill & passing. Would loved to have had him a few years earlier so he could have lasted a full game.

Would love us to be able to pick up an older veteran again who is anywhere near as brilliant as him.

We were talking about his signing the other day. Can you imagine this place now if our signing targets were 34 year old has beens..........:eek:

Before we signed him I remember he stuck out like a sore thumb in a midweek v Dundee at Ibrox(0-1 defeat maybe?)
Anyway I remember being surprised he was the fastest man on the park,absolutely rapid for his age

We got beat 2-0 that night. Remember watching him tear us apart.

Rumours back then Dundee were trying to bring Maradona out of retirement. It was a bit of a mental couple of years for them. Juan Sara - "Jesus Loves You"

A wonderful talent .

Considering how he was attacked on the field by most opponents he was still able to waltz by most of them

McLeish had a bit of a hardon for substituting him at half time. Can't even remember if he was gassing badly enough to justify it at the time.

Always enjoyed watching Cannigia. Great player.

How did Dundee end up with all they players at that time? Was it something to do with the dodgy lawyer that was on their board?

One of the first players I had on the back of my top, one of the true footballing legends to play for us.

For his age he offered much more than expected.

Cracking signing for us. I thought we got him under McLeish on a free mind you?

Did well against the Mhanks so much they targeted him in the Scottish cup final taking shots each to kick him off the park.

Loved Caniggia, can remember being a wee guy and getting his name on the back of my top :cool:

I still find it incredible that he played for Dundee. It worked to our advantage I hope.

I read recently he was banned from the National Team under Daniel Passarella for not cutting his hair so would of got more international caps. Passarella had banned long hair, earrings and homosexuals in his squad.

Signed by Advocaat as a 34 year old for an undisclosed account (surely not a 7 figure sum??).

Thoughts?

Seem to recall he didnt feature much till McLeish came in. Was a cracking player in his two years here, the 2003 League Cup Final arguably his biggest highlight.

Knocked back Celtic as well to sign for us as well.

Brilliant player did he not score on his debut at Pittodrie for us?

I felt we would have destroyed the tims in the Loverkrands SC Final if Balde had not blootered him out the game.

I thought even at the late stage we signed him, and considering the calibre of team-mates he was still outstanding.

In fairness that game couldn't have worked out better.

Though I still think we would have taken three off them had it gone to extra time.

He destroyed them in the league cup final, his movement was superb a joy to watch at times

Back