Clement "If you have a draw there you can still become champion"

robbo89

"I don't totally agree [that this is 'must-win' if Rangers want to become Champions]. If you have a draw there you still can become champion. Even if you lose but that's a really really long shot and too long a shot for me. But with a point also." PRESS CONFERENCE | Philippe Clement | 10 May 2024

I thought he nailed this media narrative bang to rights today. The narrative has been spun that Rangers have to win tomorrow but Celtic can draw, all in a rather obvious attempt to pile more pressure on the Rangers camp.

The scum have failed to win three out of four games against Kilmarnock this season. This idea that they're just going to romp to a victory at Rugby Park is laughable. Killie have beat them twice already and next Wednesday they could be fighting for fourth spot and a place in Europe.

I think our manager has been a master so far at dealing with the media, he speaks the truth plainly, calls out bullsh*t when he hears it and always bigs up the team and our chances of becoming champions.

The perfect man for the big seat at Ibrox imo.

"I don't totally agree [that this is 'must-win' if Rangers want to become Champions]. If you have a draw there you still can become champion. Even if you lose but that's a really really long shot and too long a shot for me. But with a point also." PRESS CONFERENCE | Philippe Clement | 10 May 2024

I thought he nailed this media narrative bang to rights today. The narrative has been spun that Rangers have to win tomorrow but Celtic can draw, all in a rather obvious attempt to pile more pressure on the Rangers camp.

The scum have failed to win three out of four games against Kilmarnock this season. This idea that they're just going to romp to a victory at Rugby Park is laughable. Killie have beat them twice already and next Wednesday they could be fighting for fourth spot and a place in Europe.

I think our manager has been a master so far at dealing with the media, he speaks the truth plainly, calls out bullsh*t when he hears it and always bigs up the team and our chances of becoming champions.

The perfect man for the big seat at Ibrox imo.
Technically he’s right but none of us will be happy with a draw tomorrow if we are being totally honest. It’s a must win, simple as that.

To be honest if we draw I’ll probably tell myself - we put 7 or 8 past Dundee and they lose to Kilmarnock and it’s game on.

But yeah, I don’t expect him to come out and say - “this is must win. It’s all or nothing.”

Managers don’t do that. There is still football to be played after

He may not even be happy with a draw tomorrow but saying it might take a bit of pressure of the players rather than say it’s a must win. I think he’s read the room correctly here and it’s the right thing to say (whether he agrees with it or not)
I'm sure the players have been involved in football long enough to know they need a win tomorrow.

If they don't then we are totally fucked

He may not even be happy with a draw tomorrow but saying it might take a bit of pressure of the players rather than say it’s a must win. I think he’s read the room correctly here and it’s the right thing to say (whether he agrees with it or not)
I hope he's saying differently in the dressing room because I really don't want these players thinking that a draw is a good result.

The draw last time only ended up being half decent because of the shit show of a first half.

Draws against Celtic are no good if we want to win the title.

Media narrative? Surely you don't believe that OP.

The suggestion that going into the final 2 games 3 points behind and with worse GD is a sound pathway to winning the league is deluded. A silly thing for Clement to volunteer up.

I don't think he is far off. They expect to put 4 or 5 past us tomorrow. A draw keeps it alive and then they have to go to Killie which won't be easy.

Technically he's right, but then we'd be needing a Killie win and hoping we somehow catch them on GD without gaining any tomorrow.

Absolute must win tomorrow

I'm sure the players have been involved in football long enough to know they need a win tomorrow.

If they don't then we are totally fucked
Oh no doubt, but that still doesn’t stop even the best managers such as Pep, regularly tone down the pressure of being match favourites or season favourites - he will often mention other strong teams and how it will be close etc..
What he says to the players and the media won’t be the same.

The gaffer should know when to stop talking fanciful nonsense to be honest, a draw tomorrow isn't good enough, deep down he knows it, an idiot could figure that out.

Simply taking some of the pressure off the players right before a big game IMO. All managers do it publicly but in the dressing room I’m pretty sure the message will be different.

Get what he's doing, but it just looks silly coming away with shit like this. Accept its a must win, accept we've fucked it, and need to win to regain some control of our own destiny.

He knows it's a must win, but won't give up trying if we don't. It's a media answer, everyone knows what's at stake.

If he says it's must win and we draw, how would the next press conference go?

That is good management. Taking pressure off his players publicly. What managers say to the press is totally different to the dressing room and he doesn’t need the press adding to it with his comments.

The more I sit here and think about this, we’ve really been bullied into submission by a narrative that we’re playing some football superpower tomorrow.

It’s Celtic. Not f**king Real Madrid.

I doubt there’s a supporter in the land that thinks we can draw tomorrow and come away champions in 2 games time.

He’s obviously looking to take some pressure off the players which is understandable because we all know these players can’t handle pressure

They know a draw could all but seal it which can create doubt in how they approach the game. We know only a win will do despite what our manager claims. A draw done us at Ibrox and we got it. All we had to do was win our next 2 games against cannon fodder. We failed and gave them control. Might still be a wee twist here.

The more I sit here and think about this, we’ve really been bullied into submission by a narrative that we’re playing some football superpower tomorrow.

It’s Celtic. Not f**king Real Madrid.

They're not Real Madrid but we've beat them twice in 24 games without Steven Gerrard in the dugout since 2016.

There's a reason they're clear favourites for tomorrow.

Mr Clement, you cannot possibly believe that can you?

Tomorrow is MUST WIN.

Nothing less than victory will do.

Maybe he is just trying to protect the players from pressure as you say but the manager shouldn't mollicoddle them.

Especially since this situation is of their own making - if it wasn't for the Ross County and Dundee collapse, this game would have been must-win for the scum and we could have coasted to the title with a draw.

The players have to understand what is required to win the title and they have to be able to live with that pressure. Don't protect them from it ffs.

What I would say about a draw is that we play before them the day before so have a chance to go top at Ibrox when they’re away to Killie.

Mr Clement, you cannot possibly believe that can you?

Tomorrow is MUST WIN.

Nothing less than victory will do.

Maybe he is just trying to protect the players from pressure as you say but the manager shouldn't mollicoddle them.

Especially since this situation is of their own making - if it wasn't for the Ross County and Dundee collapse, this game would have been must-win for the scum and we could have coasted to the title with a draw.

The players have to understand what is required to win the title and they have to be able to live with that pressure. Don't protect them from it ffs.
Agree with everything except must win. I still think they’ll get beat by Killie

If we are relying on McIness and hammer throwers like Vassell to do what we can't then the games a bogey, but he is clearly playing the media like a fiddle imo to protect his players.
We know they are soft, Phil knows they are soft. The tide is turning and if he can somehow win tomorrow.
Game fucking on! Game fucking right on!

First line - No, no, no no, no!

Second line - Yes, I'll take it, but if we attempt what's in the first line, that will NOT be happening!
We arent good enough to go there and “attack them”

Attack them with what?

I get “battle fever” and all that but if you know anything about football. If you know this Rangers team and what they are facing tomorrow. If you know both teams recent form. If you think they can go there and “attack” from the first whistle and come away with a win you are delusional. Be realistic. Be pragmatic. How do we win tomorrow with what’s available?

Look at what we have available. Look at the best way to get a result.

Give nothing away. Frustrate them. Frustrate their stadium. Quieten it. GIVE NOTHING AWAY. 0-0 as long as possible. Lose tomorrow its over. Just dont lose. Attacking them does us no favours.

Back