Clement "If you have a draw there you can still become champion"

We arent good enough to go there and “attack them”

Attack them with what?

I get “battle fever” and all that but if you know anything about football. If you know this Rangers team and what they are facing tomorrow. If you know both teams recent form. If you think they can go there and “attack” from the first whistle and come away with a win you are delusional. Be realistic. Be pragmatic. How do we win tomorrow with what’s available?

Look at what we have available. Look at the best way to get a result.

Give nothing away. Frustrate them. Frustrate their stadium. Quieten it. GIVE NOTHING AWAY. 0-0 as long as possible. Lose tomorrow its over. Just dont lose. Attacking them does us no favours.
have we taken that approach in any game under Clement?

while he looks at defensive structure as important, I think he sets his team up primarily to attack

have we taken that approach in any game under Clement?

while he looks at defensive structure as important, I think he sets his team up primarily to attack
Right here we go, Clement has his “style”

You simply cannot play the same tactics/formation in every single game

If he sets up to play tomorrow the way we would play Livi at home then we are in bigger trouble beyond losing the title.

I want a tactical master class tomorrow out of left field. That will show me he is the man going forward

Drag them into a battle and sneak 4 late winners.

4 late goals you mean?

Anyway I don’t think that’s the right attitude to be taking your team into a must win game, unless he’s saying one thing for the media and another to the players. If we draw the league is done, make no mistake about that.

If these player have balls they'll go out there and make a statement at that hovel. All down to the players.
The players are obviously the main factor, they need to step up and put them to the sword.

However, there’s a lot on Clement tomorrow. He needs to get his team selection right. I just don’t think we can go out with the same team/tactics as the past few games against them.

If we had beaten Motherwell Ross co and Dundee then tomorrow would have been title day for us. That’s the frustrating thing. We’ve got to win.

No harm clement, love you big man but a draw is for %^*& all tomorrow and I hope to hell this is not the mentality he’s going into this game with

We arent good enough to go there and “attack them”

Attack them with what?

I get “battle fever” and all that but if you know anything about football. If you know this Rangers team and what they are facing tomorrow. If you know both teams recent form. If you think they can go there and “attack” from the first whistle and come away with a win you are delusional. Be realistic. Be pragmatic. How do we win tomorrow with what’s available?

Look at what we have available. Look at the best way to get a result.

Give nothing away. Frustrate them. Frustrate their stadium. Quieten it. GIVE NOTHING AWAY. 0-0 as long as possible. Lose tomorrow its over. Just dont lose. Attacking them does us no favours.
We're not playing Messi-era Barcelona, ffs. We're playing a mob whose vulnerabilities were exposed by Aber-fukn-deen in the cup semi-final a couple of weeks ago.

And "if you know anything about football" (as you put it), then you know that trying to change your footballing ethos, philosophy and methods that you have trained into the players for months on end for one match is likely to end in disaster.

The players are obviously the main factor, they need to step up and put them to the sword.

However, there’s a lot on Clement tomorrow. He needs to get his team selection right. I just don’t think we can go out with the same team/tactics as the past few games against them.
This is the sensible opinion. This is hopefully how the management team see it.

But you get shouted down by people that just want us to “go there and smash them.”

Need to be realistic. The players at our disposal and the best way to get a result isnt going there and “attacking them from the off”

We could win and still lose the league. A draw tomorrow and we’ve no chance.

I think he knows it too.

We're not playing Messi-era Barcelona, ffs. We're playing a mob whose vulnerabilities were exposed by Aber-fukn-deen in the cup semi-final a couple of weeks ago.

And "if you know anything about football" (as you put it), then you know that trying to change your footballing ethos, philosophy and methods that you have trained into the players for months on end for one match is likely to end in disaster.
Bollocks. A manager should be able to change it depending on the opponent.

Answer me this, with the squad we have available and the way we have been playing recently, would you genuinely set up the team the same way and expect to win?

I know he cant say much else. I just hope he doesnt really believe it. Its hard to trust he doesnt, only Gerrard really believed every game against them was a must win and treated them with the contempt they deserved - of our recent managers. So im a bit sceptical

We need to win 3-0.
Let's not kid ourselves.
Goal difference is massive and I don't see them dropping any other points.
Dessers hat trick would be nice.

Anyone who actually thinks that we could sneak this title on the last day like we did back in 2005 are really seriously deluded imo.

Back then we had a limited pool of people players (in terms of ability) but they had a real desire to win……..and that is the main difference.

The current squad are serial losers. We need to win this and the guy simply does not get it.

Last edited:
The manager has stated he is going for a win. He is mathematically correct in what he is saying. Unlikely but correct. It is the glove puppet media trying to have a go at him and some fans not seeing exactly what he said . He worries the glove puppet media as they know he is good at his job.

What we've seen in the last few weeks is there's two parts of Clement. The one that says what needs to be said to play the media here and keep pressure off his team, and the one who's a realist and isn't stupid and will be thinking and saying completely different behind closed doors. I agree with how he approached the interview but I know he knows fine well that we need to win and that'll be his message to the players

"I don't totally agree [that this is 'must-win' if Rangers want to become Champions]. If you have a draw there you still can become champion. Even if you lose but that's a really really long shot and too long a shot for me. But with a point also." PRESS CONFERENCE | Philippe Clement | 10 May 2024

I thought he nailed this media narrative bang to rights today. The narrative has been spun that Rangers have to win tomorrow but Celtic can draw, all in a rather obvious attempt to pile more pressure on the Rangers camp.

The scum have failed to win three out of four games against Kilmarnock this season. This idea that they're just going to romp to a victory at Rugby Park is laughable. Killie have beat them twice already and next Wednesday they could be fighting for fourth spot and a place in Europe.

I think our manager has been a master so far at dealing with the media, he speaks the truth plainly, calls out bullsh*t when he hears it and always bigs up the team and our chances of becoming champions.

The perfect man for the big seat at Ibrox imo.
Kidding himself on if he really believes a draw isn’t the end of it. No way they’re dropping points at home to St Mirren. Nor are we overturning 5 goals of goal difference without beating them.

"I don't totally agree [that this is 'must-win' if Rangers want to become Champions]. If you have a draw there you still can become champion. Even if you lose but that's a really really long shot and too long a shot for me. But with a point also." PRESS CONFERENCE | Philippe Clement | 10 May 2024

I thought he nailed this media narrative bang to rights today. The narrative has been spun that Rangers have to win tomorrow but Celtic can draw, all in a rather obvious attempt to pile more pressure on the Rangers camp.

The scum have failed to win three out of four games against Kilmarnock this season. This idea that they're just going to romp to a victory at Rugby Park is laughable. Killie have beat them twice already and next Wednesday they could be fighting for fourth spot and a place in Europe.

I think our manager has been a master so far at dealing with the media, he speaks the truth plainly, calls out bullsh*t when he hears it and always bigs up the team and our chances of becoming champions.

Totally disagree with that. The jury is out imo.

What we've seen in the last few weeks is there's two parts of Clement. The one that says what needs to be said to play the media here and keep pressure off his team, and the one who's a realist and isn't stupid and will be thinking and saying completely different behind closed doors. I agree with how he approached the interview but I know he knows fine well that we need to win and that'll be his message to the players
I agree with you that that's what the manager was looking to do.

What I don't agree with is the manager trying to keep the pressure of a "must-win" off the team.

They should be happy to live with that pressure. Every game against the scum ought to be considered "must-win." And the team should be under no illusions about what is needed to be champions this season.

As others have said, hopefully the manager communicated a different message within the dressing room and the team know that nothing less than 3 points will do. But I would have preferred the manager be plain and simple about what's needed tomorrow in the press as well as with the team.

In my view his words here have become a distraction and it would have been better to just speak facts.

Big Phil will be well aware we need the win tomorrow.

It's highly unlikely everybody in the support thinks we need the win, yet the manager doesn't.

It'll be a stick to beat him with if we don't win tomorrow by folk that haven't took to him.

Bollocks. A manager should be able to change it depending on the opponent.

Answer me this, with the squad we have available and the way we have been playing recently, would you genuinely set up the team the same way and expect to win?
Sorry, but I find you extremely tiresome. I'll be supporting my team tomorrow. As for you, I just don't care, You're going straight on to my 'ignore' list.

It's absolutely a preferred scenario of a win but 100% must not lose game. Win its game on, draw It's still a possibility given their record at Rugby Park, lose It's 100% gone.

Couldn't disagree any more.

His press conferences have become utterly bizarre lately.

Praising the 'reaction' we got against Dundee. Talking about SkySports ref watch. Saying we don't need to win tomorrow. Reacting to Rodgers having fun comment. Talking about cryochambers. Throwing the club under the bus after the Collum stuff.

He started off well but he's been sucked right in to the goldfish bowl and has started talking nonsense.

He's a step up from Beale but his conferences are weird in their own way.

So getting a point isn't a bad result for us, as there's a better chance that Killie can take all 3 points when they play them? Not for me. It's a must-win and I'd be disappointed if he's sending the players in with anything but that mindset.

A win will leave us needing a large slice of luck, a draw is useless imo.

Sadly, the pattern of the past years has dented my optimism.
We just don't seem to have the heart to go at them from the off, nor the fortune to get the breaks.

Any win tomorrow, regardless of the margin, will get their arse tingling.

Then we need to pump Dundee and pray Kilmarnock take something.

We have a great record at Tynecastle. What we don’t want is it going to GD as they will run up a cricket score against St Mirren on the last day.

Am I confident? No. We have made a rip roaring arse of this. But this is this teams last chance at showing some f/ckin balls. Do or die. Go to the cesspit and shut the Bastards up Rangers.

Everyone, Clement included, knows it's a must win. However, it's not Clement's job to lay the red carpet out for the scum and their scum media and feed the narrative that this is a virtual title party.

What he said was a calm, pointed reminder that the title race continues beyond tomorrow. It's a message aimed at the media and them, not for us or our team. We know fine well what we need to do. Some of our fans would do well to realise that freaking out over what Clement feeds the media is only playing into their hands.

God I hope we batter them tomorrow.

Back