Clement

When Walter came back in 2007 he inherited a squad that was out of both cups and miles behind in the league. He made some changes and was able to win both the remaining old firm games that season. That is what great managers can do, they find ways to win even against better players.
He brought in Weir, Ehiogu and Thomson within 2 weeks of his appointment - and inherited a squad considerably more talented (relative to the other side of the city) than the current squad. Prso, Novo, Boyd, Ferguson, Hemdani, Papac and Hutton all walk into our team today.

Does he get that though, if we don't see it immediately next season, for instance, then how many will give him time? I don't think he will turn it round, but I hope he will, just like every fan. What we don't need to hear, though, is the amazing job he has done, because he hasn't, and neither should be exempt from criticism for the past few weeks. I hope he does well, but I have my doubts.
He needs time and properly backed, he needs a really strong summer and the recruits he brings in NEED to work.

He hasn’t got everything perfect but you have to take a serious look at what he has inherited and see the situation for what it really is.

The snr squad is horrific, it needs major major work.

Personal opinion, I think he will get it right, he needs backed and the squad needs ripped apart. The money we have spent on fees and wages for this squad is mental.

If I had my way only a handful of this squad would be kept, it is that bad.

Who would you have picked instead though? We have no one else.
Sterling, Dio and Raskin in the middle of the park.

Lundstram hasn't kicked his arse for months and struts about like Beckenbauer, he kills our midfielder, Raskin is a natural centre mid, I've been asking for him for weeks.

Up top I would have had Cantwell on the right.

The options were limited, granted but to start the 2nd half with Tom Lawrence as part of a midfield 2 is Pedroesque

If we had won this league title it would be easily the worst ever Rangers team to win the league.

The fact that Phillipe Clement took this group to contention up to the last few games is testament to his abilities..

The clown Rodgers has a big financial advantage and has the officials and media onside ( either through actual support or fear of offending.)

This is just another title that has gone to the beasts when if every decision over the season was made correctly, we would be champions.

He needs time and properly backed, he needs a really strong summer and the recruits he brings in NEED to work.

He hasn’t got everything perfect but you have to take a serious look at what he has inherited and see the situation for what it really is.

The snr squad is horrific, it needs major major work.

Personal opinion, I think he will get it right, he needs backed and the squad needs ripped apart. The money we have spent on fees and wages for this squad is mental.

If I had my way only a handful of this squad would be kept, it is that bad.
I hope he gets it right, and possibly he needs to win the SC to give himself more time next season. My number one concern is that he recruits players, loses a crucial game early on and then pressure builds; if he starts the season then he has to be able to finish it, if he is indeed the man for the job, and he won't get that at Rangers. Our last three manager appointments have happened around November time, in successive years; if Clement gets the summer to rebuild, we have to give him longer come what may. This is where I have my doubts about him, because he hasn't handled the last few weeks well, and it's not going to get easier.

Turning on the manager at this point is lunacy.

He has been working with a team full of losers and limited footballers since he came in, that fact that he has stayed in this league so long is a miricle.

Thread after thread of this player is shit and that player is shite yet some expect the manager to make them league champions.

He has literally nothing to work with out there and folks are expecting to much.

He has done amazing with the limited options he has, he needs time to build a squad and get them playing the way he wants them to.

Bitter pill to swallow today but we need to be a little patient
I think the bevy has a lot to do with the kind of posts immediately post match calling for the Managers head.
The old guard need clearing out, that is patently obvious. Clement hopefully is the man to do that.
He's been here a few months and has got us to two cup finals, into the last 16 of the Europa and we were back into contention in a league title.
This is on the players, a lot of which will hopefully now be shown the door. We all know who they are.

Clement takes some of the blame for not setting the team up properly or not reacting to tactics throughout the game but..... he dragged us back in to a title race, win a cup and took it to the last few games of the league and still with another cup to play for.

Ross County, Aberdeen, Dundee and Motherwell are the games that killed it for me. The players are good enough to win and look at every of game. Just nit good enough when it matters.

Today we were without key players that would have won that game. Yilmaz, Danilo, Balogun, Sima, Cortes to name a few.

I'll judge the manager over the summer and next season.

There is zero guarantee that midfield does any better than the one that played
Almost as if that's how football works. At least then it's a case of he tried it, instead he persisted with something that has let us down numerous times and brought into question whether he is willing to learn from the past.

I get where you are coming from and this isn't a knee jerk reaction but I see a management team who can't handle the occasion and who gets upset by every sound bite coming out of the padeo dome. His in game tactics were a shambles today. I don't see any way this manager is going to get us back on top
Today they have their full team out that has been built over a number of season which has cost millions more than us.

We have available to play ….

JB - great keeper, keep
JT - serial loser, can’t defend, losing his pace and we have a better RB playing out of position, needs moved on
JS - a hearts level player, honest player but limited, back up guy.
BD - barely kicked a ball all season, when he has he has been poor, did ok today but not for me, to weak. Move him on
BB - coward, thank fek he’s going
DS - there is a real player there, we need 11 of these. Keep
MD - first season, shown some really good parts, needs deceloped, keep and grow him
TL - not for me, to many injuries, can’t last 90, move on
JL - cost us the game, average journey man, get shot asap
FS - £35m player, flashes of magic, very inconsistent, thinks he’s a super star, not for me, send back
CD - he has goals in him, misses more than he scores, there is a better striker at Aberdeen that we should go for, sell and replace with better

On the bench
RM - never going to be No1, he will move on
RY - I would have started him, 10 times better than BB, keep as the back up LB
LK - will never make it
TC - on the fence with him, good squad player, needs better round about him
NR - hardly kicked a ball all season, there is a player there, needs to stay fit and try and push on
SW - miles of, get rid
KD - signed as an injured injury prone player, we got what he deserved with him, should have known better
KR - made of glass, thank feck his contracts up, what a waste of money
RM - not for me, not good enough, move on.

That’s the squad we expect a manager to win a league with?? Never in a million years does than team win a league

He brought in Weir, Ehiogu and Thomson within 2 weeks of his appointment - and inherited a squad considerably more talented (relative to the other side of the city) than the current squad. Prso, Novo, Boyd, Ferguson, Hemdani, Papac and Hutton all walk into our team today.
The January windows aren't that much different financially.

2007 Thomson £2m and 2 free transfers.
2024 Diomande £4.5m and 2 loans.

The difference is Clements signings haven't made any impact on the results in the big games.

There has been some amount of absolute bollox on this thread with many folks just going to the negative: any negative.
In fact just making them up to run down any good we have done this season.
WE are all upset at losing today but the way some of you are going on in here ,we should install a bloody revolving door at Ibrox for mangers so we can fire and hire in even smaller time-frames.

Crazy.

The January windows aren't that much different financially.

2007 Thomson £2m and 2 free transfers.
2024 Diomande £4.5m and 2 loans.

The difference is Clements signings haven't made any impact on the results in the big games.
I don’t disagree with the lack of impact; but as I said, Smith had a squad that didn’t lack talent. The squad had quality in it, it needed united and motivated. He had two gaps to plug, weak centre-backs and a replacement for Jeremy Clement.

Philippe Clement on the other had would need to have signed 7 outfield players to have a first XI of sufficient quality. Instead, he lost Sima, Yilmaz and Cortes.

A lot of people on here probably singing his praises January , yeah the wheels came off, but remember most of us had gave up the league in September/ October.
We have tried the chopping, changing manager roundabout, give him at least another year.

I hope he gets it right, and possibly he needs to win the SC to give himself more time next season. My number one concern is that he recruits players, loses a crucial game early on and then pressure builds; if he starts the season then he has to be able to finish it, if he is indeed the man for the job, and he won't get that at Rangers. Our last three manager appointments have happened around November time, in successive years; if Clement gets the summer to rebuild, we have to give him longer come what may. This is where I have my doubts about him, because he hasn't handled the last few weeks well, and it's not going to get easier.
If I was manager of that squad I would have been admitted to Leverndale by Xmas.

He will have known how close that league was to be won and will have been pulling his hair out if he had any trying to put a winning team out each week.

The team have ran out of steam a few weeks ago, he had nothing there to change and reignite the team.

He has had to play Scott wright, how painful must that be for a manager, to have to put him on as you had nothing better.

He needs seriously backed, as I have said a few times I believe he will get it right but needs backed. I may be wrong, maybe I am getting old and a bit soft in the head but we can’t keep switching managers on a yearly basis, we need some stability and a real plan

No but it would free up Sterling to prop up the middle of the park
Sterling could and should have played CM today. There was no need for him at RW. Him in CM and having a Cantwell, Wright or McCausland at RW is far better than having Sterling RW and Lawrence in midfield

This summer will define clement. If he doesn’t demand that this squad is gutted and sticks by the weak frauds then he is as much a loser as this team & will be gone by Christmas

My hope is he knows these players are shocking and is humouring them to try get a tune until the end of the season before he guts them

I thought when he came in he would gut them but now I fear he is a big softie and he will stick with a lot of them

I think the bevy has a lot to do with the kind of posts immediately post match calling for the Managers head.
The old guard need clearing out, that is patently obvious. Clement hopefully is the man to do that.
He's been here a few months and has got us to two cup finals, into the last 16 of the Europa and we were back into contention in a league title.
This is on the players, a lot of which will hopefully now be shown the door. We all know who they are.
Thank feck I am not alone with my view on PC.

I don’t drink, maybe that’s the problem, I think I might need to start drinking to see the light

I am losing faith in him quickly.
He’s not changed anything when there were obvious decisions that could be made to improve the team.
Today, before the match, there was almost unanimous support for the idea of playing three in midfield, including Sterling.
In addition, he had Yilmaz available and didn’t use him from the start.

We’re going to have to see what his recruitment is like along with Koppen.
However, I’ve got a horrible feeling we’re going to be in the same situation in October/November 2024 with Clement with Beale at the same time in 2023.

We can only hope he manages to get us UCL qualification. Without that this year, we are going to be much further behind the scum.

Another EL campaign will leave a massive hole in the finances compared to them.

Well when the Red Bull rumours were rife people sneered about not renaming Ibrox etc. I didn't we need significant investment to upgrade the stadium and the team so if to do that it's Red Bull then fine by me.
Stay as we are and we will soon be Hearts with a bigger support and stadium and nothing more.
We need to realise we play in Scotland, anyone who is promising this and that by coming to this country is up to no good. Celtic are a different kettle of fish, it's like the Irish mafia with that lot. Backing from god knows what, they have certainly have our media in the bag, with who knows how many friendly politicians. Their fingers are everywhere in this country to the extent, they get a commonwealth opening ceremony for full exposure. Never seen that happen before at these events

The Red Bull story is just that, no more than rumours, if they wanted to, they would have went ahead. It would always be Ibrox to Rangers fans anyway and that's all that matters. If the super clubs move on to what they want, I say let's get the ball rolling for a British league, with or without that lot. Plenty big clubs, still down south.

Even if clement isn’t the man going forward, what is clear is that these players aren’t the ones to take us forward.

For us as a club, under whichever manager, to have chance - we need to clear out the squad.

Sterling, Dio and Raskin in the middle of the park.

Lundstram hasn't kicked his arse for months and struts about like Beckenbauer, he kills our midfielder, Raskin is a natural centre mid, I've been asking for him for weeks.

Up top I would have had Cantwell on the right.

The options were limited, granted but to start the 2nd half with Tom Lawrence as part of a midfield 2 is Pedroesque
Cantwell has done nothing against them, absolutely nothing. Raskin has been rotten all season I think everyone on here agreed. Had a half decent cameo today but nothing more. Hes been shite v them as well. Lundstram too btw, he's been woeful and needs hunted. The changes you have suggested aren't massive game changers let's be honest.

Cantwell has done nothing against them, absolutely nothing. Raskin has been rotten all season I think everyone on here agreed. Had a half decent cameo today but nothing more. Hes been shite v them as well. Lundstram too btw, he's been woeful and needs hunted. The changes you have suggested aren't massive game changers let's be honest.
If the manager had the balls to make some tactical decisions he wouldn't be getting questioned, it would all be on the players but he keeps persisting with a terrible midfield set up.

He will get next season with his own players and rightly so and we as fans will get behind him but patience is wearing thin with the support, we have seen far too many false dawns in recent years

I believe the manager deserves time and he can be the right man for the job. He certainly isn’t immune from criticism though.

His team selection and tactics have been baffling at times and his inability to beat Celtic is a major concern. Winning the league cup was a huge positive and overturning the league gap was brilliant but now we’re almost in the same position.

It's very simple.

He either wins the cup final or he goes into next season under a needless and unrelenting amount of pressure.

Like it or not, if you can't beat Celtic then you're not going to last long as Rangers manager.

Oh, and gut that dressing room.
If you can’t beat Dundee or Ross County in games you need to win then you shouldn’t last long either.

I've no faith in him.
Going 433 today was incompetent.
We could have been 1-0 down in the first 2 mins if it wasn't for Butland. It was 2- 1 going on 5.
Like most of our players, he is out of his depth.

I've no faith in him.
Going 433 today was incompetent.
We could have been 1-0 down in the first 2 mins if it wasn't for Butland. It was 2- 1 going on 5.
Like most of our players, he is out of his depth.
Sooner people realise this the better. What he says in the pressers are his actual thoughts.

If I was manager of that squad I would have been admitted to Leverndale by Xmas.

He will have known how close that league was to be won and will have been pulling his hair out if he had any trying to put a winning team out each week.

The team have ran out of steam a few weeks ago, he had nothing there to change and reignite the team.

He has had to play Scott wright, how painful must that be for a manager, to have to put him on as you had nothing better.

He needs seriously backed, as I have said a few times I believe he will get it right but needs backed. I may be wrong, maybe I am getting old and a bit soft in the head but we can’t keep switching managers on a yearly basis, we need some stability and a real plan
It would be good if we all knew what this is

There are questions he needs to answer.

His approach to old firm games and his team selections in general have been poor.

We play hoof ball.

We don’t look ‘up’ for it.

These things are on him.
I think we played hoof ball today, because the skill set of the players could not work it out from defence. He needs to have his own players in - I’m as gutted as everyone else.

Almost as if that's how football works. At least then it's a case of he tried it, instead he persisted with something that has let us down numerous times and brought into question whether he is willing to learn from the past.
Doesn't even call it into question, today proved without doubt that Clement is too stubborn to learn from previous mistakes. Something that cost Gio his job too.

Thats just pish

Celtic dropping points was part of it, but not the main reason.

We still had to win the points to catch up.

Posters like you do my head in.
With all due respect Joe, you are being a bit harsh there....
The reason we caught them is 100% down to them dropping elsewhere..
Every chance we have had we have not laid a glove on them tbh, if we had done , the table would look a lot different.
No looking for an argument , just my take on it mate .

He keeps making utterly wild and bizarre tactical and player decisions. He’s like Homer Simpson plugging his finger in the plug and can’t learn from the electric shock.

We don't have a decent number 10.

We don't have three good forwards who it would be hard to leave out.

Please watch how good we were under Gerrard with a solid midfield three, and at least try and match up to their three in the cup final gaffer.

Anybody saying that injuries have stopped us winning any of the last three games against them needs to look at the star studded lineups of Hearts and Killie who were able to do it (twice)

Hearts beat them 2-0 home and away with

Clark, Sibbik, Kingsley, Rowles, Lembikisa, Niewen, Baningine, Grant, Cochrane, Shankland, Forrest.

Killie beat them 2-1 and 1-0 with

Dennis, Mayo, Reas, Findlay, Ndaba, Donnelly, Lyons, Armstrong, Polworth, Kennedy, Vassell

Here's what was available for Clement

December 2-1 defeat

Butland, Tav, Balogun, Goldson, Yilmaz, Sterling, Lundstram, Cantwell, mccausland, Sima, Desserts - subs - Souttar, Dowell, Wright, Lammers, Cifuentes, Matondo

3-3 Ibrox

Butland, Tav, Goldson, Souttar, Sterling, Diomande, Lundstram, Wright, Lawrence, Silva, Desserts - subs - Cantwell, Matondo, Sima, Dowell, Balogun, Barasic, McCausland

Today we had more out or literally just back, but still had better players than Hearts or Killie to select from.

As many others have said, the tactical setup has been wrong every time. Clement can't go into the SC Final making the same mistakes. To say he hasn't got the players is feeble at best. The same players did very well against much better teams than Celtic when in Europe.

Hypothetically, if we trust him with millions of pounds to sign a brand new starting 11, can anyone tell me what style of football he plays?

Seems a nice guy but I’ll tell you what man, he’s getting away with absolute murder. He’s done absolutely nothing to suggest he can progress us as a team.

The amount of comments on this thread discussing team selection as if it’s the sole role of the coach of Rangers on an absolute fortune is staggering.

If he had such a free hit when he came in and wasn’t expected to challenge them like many are suggesting, then why hasn’t he capitalised on said free hit and tried to implement something that resembles a style of play as opposed to the drivel that we’ve been served up since he’s arrived?

Last edited:
Turning on the manager at this point is lunacy.

He has been working with a team full of losers and limited footballers since he came in, that fact that he has stayed in this league so long is a miricle.

Thread after thread of this player is shit and that player is shite yet some expect the manager to make them league champions.

He has literally nothing to work with out there and folks are expecting to much.

He has done amazing with the limited options he has, he needs time to build a squad and get them playing the way he wants them to.

Bitter pill to swallow today but we need to be a little patient

He’s worked that much of a miracle that he’s took over when we were 7 points behind them, and he’s got us to 6 behind whilst they’ve lost twice to Hearts in the meantime.

Utter delusion.

You’re right in regard to some baffling team selections and an overly rigid mentality when it comes to player selection. However, it’s early days and he’s a highly regarded manager.

My main worry with Philippe is how easily he falls for mind games from Rodgers. His reply to the ‘Fun’ comment from Celtc is close to being up there with Keegan’s ‘I’ll love it if we beat them’. Walter knew exactly how to cope with mind games: delivering a beat down on the pitch. Philippe was successfully distracted from the main task at hand. And if he can’t handle that he’s doomed.

Regardless - he’s due, and deserves, time to learn and develop. We can’t operate on a 6 month managerial cycle, so time and patience are required. Winning a cup double will go a long way to repairing confidence and relationship building with us, the fans. Even if we capitulate in the Cup Final, we’re going to have to hold fast and help the manager deliver a better team and league showing next year.

Hypothetically, if we trust him with millions of pounds to sign a brand new starting 11, can anyone tell me what style of football he plays?

Seems a nice guy but I’ll tell you what man, he’s getting away with absolute murder. He’s done absolutely nothing to suggest he can progress us as a team.

The amount of comments on this thread discussing team selection as if it’s the sole role of the coach of Rangers on an absolute fortune is staggering.

If he had such a free hit when he came in and wasn’t expected to challenge them like many are suggesting, then why hasn’t he capitalised on said free hit and tried to implement something that resembles a style of play as opposed to the drivel that we’ve been served up since he’s arrived?
People said last season Beale had to bring in his own player and now look where we are. Now people want to let Clement go and sign a whole new team despite a massive amount of red flags. We will be in exactly the same position next season with a different manager.

As someone else said he has basically got us into the same position now as we were when he came in and thats after Celtic dropped a shit load of points. Worked miracles but!

Back