Clement's footballing philosophy

DadoAlbertz

Having seen us on many occasions this year, I am a bit confused as to what the actual footballing identity is with this style. We more often than not revert to long balls which is a complete waste of time with one striker. We don't respond well to a press and it seems like most teams are now aware of this. The football hasn't been good enough and I would expect to see a style by now.

I get we have injuries and he hasn't brought his own players, but surely he would want to implement his own style as soon as possible.

On another note, I'm tired of this formation, it doesn't seem to be working and we don't need two holding midfielders against bang average teams in this league. Dessers and Danilo both look more suited to a two up top, or even Sima, but other than Sima and Cortez, nobody else has embraced those wide positions.

Am I missing something with out style of play? I think I am in the minority now pushing for Cantwell to be in this starting line up. We are so void of creativity and although his numbers are generally poor, you can see he has passion and ability. The whole shape doesn't seem to play to our strengths and why the feck does Scott wright keep getting brought into the biggest games when he isn't good enough for the poorer teams in the league. So tired of feeling demoralised as soon as the team sheet comes out. Sterling right wing is such a poor choice for me when he skillset is so much more suited to other areas.The last section has little to do with style but I felt like venting.

Lastly, I am so sick of the female reported asking the most benign questions imaginable. Why can't we have people ask the questions that everyone else is thinking? Before I even watch it I know the generic pish she will ask. Other countries are so much straighter with their questions, yet we continue with the same "how do you pick the team up after that result" pish. Why don't you ask him something of relevance, does my tits in.

What I don’t understand and it’s not just him but pretty much every manager these days. The injuries to our wide men have been pretty important yet we still play the exact same formation regardless. Why not change it up and make the midfield a bit more robust with another body in there and play with a front two for example?

I grew up watching a Walter Smith Rangers side and he would often change the team to suit the game we were playing. Managers don’t seem to do that these days at all.

Not much any manager could do with this team. Long ball stuff was happening under Beale, and with Gio to a lesser extent. Our midfield is knackered, hence that tactic I think. Plus it does seem like Clement focuses more on attacking/direct play with his wingers, of which we've got McCausland and Wright... next season I think we will be a much different team

Not much any manager could do with this team. Long ball stuff was happening under Beale, and with Gio to a lesser extent. Our midfield is knackered, hence that tactic I think. Plus it does seem like Clement focuses more on attacking/direct play with his wingers, of which we've got McCausland and Wright... next season I think we will be a much different team
All they had to do was beat Ross County, Motherwell and Dundee.

Plenty of managers could have done that with this squad.

This, that some seem to think the manager is beyond questioning here when only a few weeks ago we were in a position to go to the piggery being able to afford to lose and still be in the driving seat is bonkers. There is definitely warning signs wether people want to admit it or not.

This, that some seem to think the manager is beyond questioning here when only a few weeks ago we were in a position to go to the piggery being able to afford to lose and still be in the driving seat is bonkers. There is definitely warning signs wether people want to admit it or not.
We win those three games and the OF games mean %^*& all, notwithstanding the fact that the pressure they’d have been under would have seen us win at least one of them.

The collapse this season has been one of the worst in recent memory, and the fact that so many want to kid on that it’s nothing to do with Clement is bewildering.

Motherwell should have had the player sent off though, then he scored so it's not anyones fault and a conspiracy to %^*& us over.

Said no sane person ever.

I'm not so sure, on paper these players absolutely should be beating those teams, but we seem to have a uniquely strange mentality issue in our team, and has happened under Beale, Gio and Gerrard especially in his first 2 seasons

Not saying Clement is faultless, but in each of those games individual player mistakes were our downfall

Can't remember the game, but he said the players didn't do what they were told. I am convinced our so-called leaders have a default mode with a way to play and they will go into it the minute they start feeling scared. I am willing to give Clement the benefit of the doubt as what can you do with guys like Lundstram that is a borderline embarrassment of a player, Goldson who walks about brain farting wishing he was somewhere else, Borna is the greyest player I have ever seen and contributes next to nothing.

I'm not so sure, on paper these players absolutely should be beating those teams, but we seem to have a uniquely strange mentality issue in our team, and has happened under Beale, Gio and Gerrard especially in his first 2 seasons

Not saying Clement is faultless, but in each of those games individual player mistakes were our downfall
Yeah I don’t get that at all. Clement has a track record of winning multiple league titles with different sides. Our players don’t, at all. Shitting the bed is par for the course with them, so it makes perfect sense that they’d be taking the brunt of the criticism with the manager getting some leeway.

I honestly think he’s trying to piss with the cock he’s got and not a fraud in that dressing room cares.

The majority of them are on their 4th manager in 2 years.

By god I hope he gets funds in summer to completely rid of us of them all. I struggle to name more than 3 I’d keep.

What I don’t understand and it’s not just him but pretty much every manager these days. The injuries to our wide men have been pretty important yet we still play the exact same formation regardless. Why not change it up and make the midfield a bit more robust with another body in there and play with a front two for example?

I grew up watching a Walter Smith Rangers side and he would often change the team to suit the game we were playing. Managers don’t seem to do that these days at all.
You are absolutely correct - most managers are one trick ponies - see Warburton….Gerard was also the same - when we used to go to Parkhead under Smith, we’d get pummelled frequently yet manage to walk away with a victory - the modern manager is poor in relation

You are absolutely correct - most managers are one trick ponies - see Warburton….Gerard was also the same - when we used to go to Parkhead under Smith, we’d get pummelled frequently yet manage to walk away with a victory - the modern manager is poor in relation
We would go up to Pittodrie and Ally would maybe start on the bench because Walter thought we were better off starting with Hateley up front alone for example. Win the midfield battle, bring Ally on and get down the road with the points.

Nowadays we are starting a RB at RW to keep playing the same formation do the detriment of getting a win. I just don’t understand why we need to be so rigid when injuries surely dictate you have to tweak the way you play?

It’s essentially Sam Allardyce stuff which is worrying and truly depressing.
I get your point but I disagree somewhat. When we were down to ten men, i was screaming for them to go long in the hope that one of our forwards would get on and sneak a goal. Or that we might for a change get a goal from a corner. As we were getting broken up in the middle of the park more often than not. Also its hard to stick to a plan when players take turns not doing the basic job, and its hard to remember that you are trying to drain the swamp when you are up to your arse in alligators

Great, we're at the "no style of play" stage of the annual managerial life cycle. Our team is dominated by players who are a combination of injury prone young guys, chronically injured old guys like Roofe and Jack, not good enough, past their best, out of position, out of form and not quite sure if they're good or not. And collectively they have a horrible but ingrained habit of collapsing when it matters. I've no idea what style of play Clement can possibly implement with the current squad that will overcome these deficiencies. It needs totally ripped up and reset.

There was a philosophy and style of play for quite some time - pressing hard, passing at pace, looking to use our width, lots of movement in the middle, etc. We were all gushing about it and the manager initially and it’s why we were winning games.

To overlook that is unfair and unhelpful.

What we really should be asking, IMO, is why have we stopped doing all the good things we were doing and how do we get back to that next season?

There was a philosophy and style of play for quite some time - pressing hard, passing at pace, looking to use our width, lots of movement in the middle, etc. We were all gushing about it and the manager initially and it’s why we were winning games.

To overlook that is unfair and unhelpful.

What we really should be asking, IMO, is why have we stopped doing all the good things we were doing and how do we get back to that next season?
Nail on the head with this post. There was a huge difference in style when he first came in, he didn't just say "play better" to the players.

the whole moving the ball quickly approach is the key to breaking down the park the bus teams.

it's reverted to walking football, and while I've got reservations about Clement, the common denominator in the recent revert to type is the players.

Nail on the head with this post. There was a huge difference in style when he first came in, he didn't just say "play better" to the players.

the whole moving the ball quickly approach is the key to breaking down the park the bus teams.

it's reverted to walking football, and while I've got reservations about Clement, the common denominator in the recent revert to type is the players.
That is the crux of the matter, to play that way requires a high level of fitness, some of the squad will never be able to play that way, some have picked up injuries and play through them but it has an impact on mobility.
I think the fragile mentality of this squad must be a real frustration for him, we'll see how many are still here at the start of next season.

Could it be as simple as this..we have a core of players that just are not that good and know they won’t be dropped or if they are dropped they don’t care,this group of players have helped to have three or in some cases four managers the sack,it needs totally emptied,do we have the finances to rebuild I think we do,we need players that not only care but will run through brick walls for the club.

Can't remember the game, but he said the players didn't do what they were told. I am convinced our so-called leaders have a default mode with a way to play and they will go into it the minute they start feeling scared. I am willing to give Clement the benefit of the doubt as what can you do with guys like Lundstram that is a borderline embarrassment of a player, Goldson who walks about brain farting wishing he was somewhere else, Borna is the greyest player I have ever seen and contributes next to nothing.
I suspect you’re spot on re default mode.

I’m also hopeful that Clement’s public uttering don’t reflect his real thoughts.

Everyone keeps going on about Motherwell, we conceded 2 chances and lost 2 goals, we crested about 7 or 8 clear chances in that game and didnt score, a manager cant put the ball in the net. Also the boy that should be sent off scores and clears one off the line.

Clement gets flack for county because the midfield was not right Dowell did what he did against celtic and let players run off him with ease and didnt have a clue what was going on around him, Goldson also should have been dropped but Balogun was out with a sickness bug, again in that game though we miss a huge chance to make it 2-0 and possibly kill the game.

This team has a knack of struggling to create chances and letting in easy goals. Even against celtic there Silva needs to score at 0-0 with his chance at the back post, 10 minutes later we are 2-0 through slack and lazy play and another individual error.

Too many players not good enough in that team, too many slow nothing players, our best attacker is a 32 year old fullback whos best days are behind him. Our sadly best striker has games were hes doesnt shoot or misses from 2 yards and laughs about it.

Too many individual errors have cost us at big moments, the only reall worry for me was county, letting their only decent footballer dhanda waltz about picking passes was a disgrace.

I think he's trying to build a team of high pressing athletic players who run until the final whistle and never give up. He likes guys who are direct and forward thinking. He doesn't have the personnel just now.

Sterling, Ridvan, Dio, Sima and Cortes all look to have the attributes. Dessers has the attitude but not the quality. I expect signings who have a similar age and athletic profile. He'd rather a player who needs developing but will listen than a Cantwell looks at me type.

Having seen us on many occasions this year, I am a bit confused as to what the actual footballing identity is with this style. We more often than not revert to long balls which is a complete waste of time with one striker. We don't respond well to a press and it seems like most teams are now aware of this. The football hasn't been good enough and I would expect to see a style by now.

I get we have injuries and he hasn't brought his own players, but surely he would want to implement his own style as soon as possible.

On another note, I'm tired of this formation, it doesn't seem to be working and we don't need two holding midfielders against bang average teams in this league. Dessers and Danilo both look more suited to a two up top, or even Sima, but other than Sima and Cortez, nobody else has embraced those wide positions.

Am I missing something with out style of play? I think I am in the minority now pushing for Cantwell to be in this starting line up. We are so void of creativity and although his numbers are generally poor, you can see he has passion and ability. The whole shape doesn't seem to play to our strengths and why the feck does Scott wright keep getting brought into the biggest games when he isn't good enough for the poorer teams in the league. So tired of feeling demoralised as soon as the team sheet comes out. Sterling right wing is such a poor choice for me when he skillset is so much more suited to other areas.The last section has little to do with style but I felt like venting.

Lastly, I am so sick of the female reported asking the most benign questions imaginable. Why can't we have people ask the questions that everyone else is thinking? Before I even watch it I know the generic pish she will ask. Other countries are so much straighter with their questions, yet we continue with the same "how do you pick the team up after that result" pish. Why don't you ask him something of relevance, does my tits in.

I think your first paragraph nails it. We can't beat a press. The defence is slow and cumbersome. Neither full back playing recently has any pace, and Lundstram cannot play the role required for us to beat a press as he has the turning circle of an oil tanker.

Balogun and Souttar can step forward by a pressing opponent but then they midfield isn't available for them to use due to Lundstram just passing or dropping off backwards and resetting everything.

Hence we go direct a lot to beat a press and play for 2nd balls, but the full backs and midfield don't have the legs to get up the park to contest them.

Even the diddy teams can manage to press the defence for part of the game and cause us problems with it.

Early on we played hearts away.

We had a goal kick and played it short

We played out through Hearts pressing us resulting in Tav putting Suns through 1 on 1 and Sima scoring.

Gaffer said after the game that’s what we work on.

Seems to have been abandoned not long after that game.

I think hes using the players to the best he can.
I think and I hope well play in a completely way next season
Pumping high balls to a front line with no physicality, hold up play or interchangeability is a school boy error surely? I see no benefit to doing it. Cards on the table, I didn't want him, and he still worries me. Can only hope rhat a new squad, will mean a new way of playing. It'll need to be.

Too many blaming the manager whilst largely ignoring the reality of a squad that rarely looks like it cares and doesn't follow instructions if it means they need to demonstrate mental and physical discipline. The bounce we got when Clement first arrived was accompanied by a temporary injection of energy that saw us press high up.the pitch. That has gone and it isn't the first time this squad has failed to.maintain a standard that makes them look worth their wages and requires that they consistently out work the opposition.

We need a minimum of 12 players gone. They have cost too.many managers their jobs and the sooner the rebuild starts the better.

He has an attacking philosophy that the squad at present are not fit or robust enough mentally to carry out. He should be allowed to build his own team before judgement. Gerrard was given five transfer windows to build his team. We can’t just go changing managers every season. I’m hoping with new players and a good pre season we will see a different Rangers next season.

Early on we played hearts away.

We had a goal kick and played it short

We played out through Hearts pressing us resulting in Tav putting Suns through 1 on 1 and Sima scoring.

Gaffer said after the game that’s what we work on.

Seems to have been abandoned not long after that game.

Danilo played who can link play, can’t do that with dessers

They see City and try to do the same with inferior players and every manager is inferior to Pep as of today.

He has an attacking philosophy that the squad at present are not fit or robust enough mentally to carry out. He should be allowed to build his own team before judgement. Gerrard was given five transfer windows to build his team. We can’t just go changing managers every season. I’m hoping with new players and a good pre season we will see a different Rangers next season.
Far too sensible for this chat. We should sack him for not winning the quadruple with a bunch of players that always find a way to lose.

On top of that he should be held accountable for not speaking English to a completely native level.

We know the media hate us so when he says things like a “moral victory” we jump on it. Let’s face it he was most likely trying to say it’s a victory for morale but no, let’s believe what Chris Sutton and Lennon tell us.

Well if you try to put on a show with shit don't be surprised if what you get is a shit-show.

Any fair and reasonable judgement on Clement (and the entire recruitment team) commences in the summer.

I am optimistic his own preferred style of football played by the squad he assembles will prove fruitful but that can only be an opinion until we witness what next season brings.

Clement inherited a group of bad players and this was evident very early on in the season that the majority of Beale's signing were poor.

The lack of quality and injuries have played a massive part in where we are right now.

- We have no pace anywhere on the pitch

- We have a striker who is ridiculously bad, 20 goals yes, but should be 35+.

- We have ageing players who have consistently regressed since we won the league 3 years ago and never been replaced.

There is only so much Clement could do with this squad. We are literally bare bones in about 5 positions and Sterling is used to fill all these gaps. Beale fucked us massivley with these signings and I expect a huge clearout this summer and Clement putting his own stamp on the squad.

Clement is far from the problem here.

That’s exactly what happens. The “default mode” you mention. That’s why managers start well here and start to look tactically inept as they continue. It’s the players, it always has been.

Back