Clement's footballing philosophy

this type of post is now appearing in this forum every year.
the board must not sack another manager after a year in charge.
this needs stability and time to build.
this ad give him one more window brigade is utter madness .
You are absolutely right, starts with the style of play drivel and then the witch hunt begins, instead of looking at it like we shouldn't even have been as close as we were and realising we have a squad of players not good enough for our club, they just decide they are bored and want a new shiny toy, so sack the manager and then they can make posts on their social media and talk to their pals about it, it's something different for them to entertain them for a while, it's mental.

The joke about us not replacing Candaias should now be changed to not replacing Davis and Jack.
Replacing Davis was always going to be difficult because he was a genuine class act and not many of them head to the SPL.

Not sure if it’s this thread or another but someone posted that Lundstram was Davis’s replacement. SD head and shoulders above Lunny as a footballer.

Great, we're at the "no style of play" stage of the annual managerial life cycle. Our team is dominated by players who are a combination of injury prone young guys, chronically injured old guys like Roofe and Jack, not good enough, past their best, out of position, out of form and not quite sure if they're good or not. And collectively they have a horrible but ingrained habit of collapsing when it matters. I've no idea what style of play Clement can possibly implement with the current squad that will overcome these deficiencies. It needs totally ripped up and reset.
I like the idea, but you know as well as I do that isn't going to happen. We will make changes in the summer, but the majority of this squad will remain. He will have to create something out of the shite he has and a style of play is part of that. I still think he is the man for the job but he will need serious financial backing. A poor start next season and people will be, rightly or wrongly, on him immediately. You don't get time at this type of club, we are the man utd of Scotland.shite under everyone.

People can make their minds up about Clement I'm not going to argue with anyone.

If fans want him sacked just say so. The wider point here is the club is in danger of becoming unmanageable. Burning through managers and payoffs every year basically hoping someone comes in and can just hit the ground running instantly without putting any foundations in place.

It's just not sustainable.

The amount of long balls we played on Saturday was very alarming. We gave them far too much respect and looked terrified to play though them in midfield

If it wasn't a long ball it was trying to play down the wing. All too predictable

It’s down to the players on the park IMO. Players who have been here long past their sell by date and players who have been brought in that clearly aren’t good enough.

The players we have simply aren’t good enough to implement a style of play that’s good on the eye and able to dominate games

The team that play Motherwell at Ibrox -
Butland, tav Goldson Souttar Yilmaz, lundstram, raskin, Diomande, Sterling, mccausland, dessers.

The lack of quality in that from middle to front is astounding. Lawrence couldn’t start as 10 due to fitness and that was before he tried to shoehorn silva wide.

You are never winning a league with a front 3 of Sterling dessers and Mcausland.

Any manager in the world struggles with those players.
Yes, but nobody forced him to make those choices, both in regards to personnel or formation. I'm not saying it's easy with this bag of shit team, but it's certainly possible.

That might be the case, but we're in my original post did I say anything about wanting the manager sacked? I was asking for some perspective, because I'm open to being wrong. I want him to succeed as much as anyone, but there is nothing wrong with discussing these things. Isn't that part of the forums purpose?

2 days after another bottle job and I still can’t get my head round his refusal to go with 3 in midfield?

Our midfield is the biggest root of our problems. They offer no support to our forwards and no protection to the back 4. Absolutely f()cking scunnered.

No idea what Clement’s style is now to be honest however I know what I want to see next season.

A team packed with pace and desire. I can forgive been beaten by quality on the pitch especially given the gulf in finances that is only getting wider, however not tracking runners, playing slow square passes and waiting on other people to take responsibility for you are unacceptable.

We get a really poor return in concentration and effort for what we pay out in wages.

Moving forward, a high pressing, high intensity style for domestic matches with players confident in their own ability and application.

Most of our problems this season stem from our players being out fought or out worked by opposing players who are more motivated for the task at hand. The difference in quality is negligible (I’m not including Celtic in this, they are better unfortunately).

We have some good players, some inconsistent players and unfortunately the likes of Ridvan who could be a real asset but seems to be injury prone. We also have a number of players who’s contribution is woeful given the financial outlay and its a huge task for Koppen and those involved in recruitment to give us a team to be proud of on the pitch come August.

There is no plan B,C or D.
Early days but it looks like Clement is a one trick pony, 4-2-3-1, that's it, 'do plan A better type'.
Any half decent manager would change his shape to suit the players he has. Instead he is playing players on the wings that aren't wingers just so he can stick to this same setup.

Rodgers must have pished himself laughing when he seen our lineup and seeing we were going with 2 in the middle and Lawrence at number 10.

We win those three games and the OF games mean %^*& all, notwithstanding the fact that the pressure they’d have been under would have seen us win at least one of them.

The collapse this season has been one of the worst in recent memory, and the fact that so many want to kid on that it’s nothing to do with Clement is bewildering.
We wouldn’t have been in a title race this season if it wasn’t for PC. At worst, you can only blame him for bottling a lead he created. The two things cancel each other out. And these aren’t his players. He doesn’t even have his own coaching staff other than his assistant.

Or you could read the entire thread on Reddit and see what @Monkey Butler just posted in relation to Clement from that thread.
Does anyone actually care how he done in Belgium?

We care about how he does here and so far he has shown no flexibility at all with his setup and went into 3 old firm games with the same plan and failed 3 times.

The amount of long balls we played on Saturday was very alarming. We gave them far too much respect and looked terrified to play though them in midfield

If it wasn't a long ball it was trying to play down the wing. All too predictable
Actually got some success

He's a pragmatist

He doesn't follow some vain attention seeking 'philosophy' like Flange or Rodgers.

He works with the tools he's got - hence why we've gone direct in recent weeks since that's the type of player we currently have

With proper investment he'll be able to build a team that can play a style he prefers

Everything Belgian football fans say about him is the opposite of what this squad is capable of doing:

I suspect there’ll be big changes in terms of personnel in the summer.
Very telling.

It's worth noting that he did have us well organised for about 6 months before this squad, with this leadership, did what they always do when it starts getting hot in the kitchen.

The undeniable fact is that we are not good enough to play through the midfield in rattler games.

They have a far superior midfield to ours and is more apparent when we play 2 to their 3. Lundstram as our main man in midfield can’t get near players like O’Reilly.

This doesn’t explain us playing hoofball in other games though. Ever since the Motherwell defeat the wheels have come off at an alarming rate. Clement must find a way of solving this problem in the final.

That might be the case, but we're in my original post did I say anything about wanting the manager sacked? I was asking for some perspective, because I'm open to being wrong. I want him to succeed as much as anyone, but there is nothing wrong with discussing these things. Isn't that part of the forums purpose?
agreed and am only giving my opinion.

He isn't even close to being sacked and quite rightly but when your big game tactic is putting a big man on a wee man (Sterling on Taylor) and trying to play long diagonals to beat him in the air then it's concerning.

See this footballing identity or philosophy,plan b let's be totally honest here majority don't know what formation we play never mind patterns if play etc. Stop with all this man

The brutal reality is this is a poor squad of players and even with better attackers like sima, Danilo, Cortes, Matondo available each week we would still be still short overall.

What no one on here appears to be highlighting when referencing being here every year is the part the board play in this cycle. Gerrard wanted to kick on and improve after 55 but it didn’t happen. Listening to Gio now it’s clear he had a number of players he wanted and ended up with a load of Wilson specials. On paper the board appeared to give Beale what he wanted, which he fecked up, but we did bring in money for Sakala & Colak so would be interested in terms of actual net spend.

We need to find a way to back Clement properly this summer to improve the overall quality of the team. If that means cashing in on Butland then so be it. We’ve needed a rebuild for years now, this time we need to do it properly

Then we might see a football philosophy from the gaffer

Find it really strange anyone thinks a manager has a football philosophy when he hasnt been given a shed load of time to build his preferred squad.

You can have an ideal philosophy but if you don’t have the players for it, you’re an idiot to keep insisting on it.

Its like watching teams like Rotherham and Huddersfield try play it out from the back when they’ve got two meat head cloggers at centre half and wonder why it isn’t working.

I think hes using the players to the best he can.
I think and I hope well play in a completely way next season
I did think that but using players who have mentally chucked it is the opposite of using the players at your disposal correctly.

I also don’t think that the teams collapse has nothing to do with the bulk of the team being told they aren’t here next year, that’s not on him as I remember one of his press conferences was where he went into detail about how wrong it was to be in out situation and who knows maybe some felt they could have earned a place and maybe some are raging that their mates are off - that I don’t know

What does confuse me is the use of Scott Wright this season, can’t fathom that one at all

The brutal reality is this is a poor squad of players and even with better attackers like sima, Danilo, Cortes, Matondo available each week we would still be still short overall.

What no one on here appears to be highlighting when referencing being here every year is the part the board play in this cycle. Gerrard wanted to kick on and improve after 55 but it didn’t happen. Listening to Gio now it’s clear he had a number of players he wanted and ended up with a load of Wilson specials. On paper the board appeared to give Beale what he wanted, which he fecked up, but we did bring in money for Sakala & Colak so would be interested in terms of actual net spend.

We need to find a way to back Clement properly this summer to improve the overall quality of the team. If that means cashing in on Butland then so be it. We’ve needed a rebuild for years now, this time we need to do it properly

Then we might see a football philosophy from the gaffer
That’s firmly on the board to make sure it happen and if they don’t I can’t see him being the type to hang about either

He isn't even close to being sacked and quite rightly but when your big game tactic is putting a big man on a wee man (Sterling on Taylor) and trying to play long diagonals to beat him in the air then it's concerning.
Walter Smith played McCulloch on the left a lot and done the same thing

Low budget foreign teams seem to handle them pretty much with ease and show them for what they are most of the time. They pass right through them and can cut them open on a regular basis. They also press the life out of them.

Why can't we?

Everything Belgian football fans say about him is the opposite of what this squad is capable of doing:

I suspect there’ll be big changes in terms of personnel in the summer.
I truly, honestly, think he's trying to make lemonade from lemons. From the winter transfer signings I think it's apparent what kind of player and what kind of style he'd like to play, but he's left with the aged dross that we have.

If his footballing philosophy doesn’t include playing Sterling in the middle he won’t be here too long. He seems to value his strange undeserved loyalty to Lundstum over what we all can see is right which is the most concerning part of whatever plan he seems to have. Play Lundstum in the final and he loses 90% of the fans and if it means Wright on the right so be it. Sadly I can see him playing Lundstum in the final.

Having seen us on many occasions this year, I am a bit confused as to what the actual footballing identity is with this style. We more often than not revert to long balls which is a complete waste of time with one striker. We don't respond well to a press and it seems like most teams are now aware of this. The football hasn't been good enough and I would expect to see a style by now.

I get we have injuries and he hasn't brought his own players, but surely he would want to implement his own style as soon as possible.

On another note, I'm tired of this formation, it doesn't seem to be working and we don't need two holding midfielders against bang average teams in this league. Dessers and Danilo both look more suited to a two up top, or even Sima, but other than Sima and Cortez, nobody else has embraced those wide positions.

Am I missing something with out style of play? I think I am in the minority now pushing for Cantwell to be in this starting line up. We are so void of creativity and although his numbers are generally poor, you can see he has passion and ability. The whole shape doesn't seem to play to our strengths and why the feck does Scott wright keep getting brought into the biggest games when he isn't good enough for the poorer teams in the league. So tired of feeling demoralised as soon as the team sheet comes out. Sterling right wing is such a poor choice for me when he skillset is so much more suited to other areas.The last section has little to do with style but I felt like venting.

Lastly, I am so sick of the female reported asking the most benign questions imaginable. Why can't we have people ask the questions that everyone else is thinking? Before I even watch it I know the generic pish she will ask. Other countries are so much straighter with their questions, yet we continue with the same "how do you pick the team up after that result" pish. Why don't you ask him something of relevance, does my tits in.
I agree totally with all your points but it’s not only female reporters who ask lame questions, our own fan media are just as guilty.

I did think that but using players who have mentally chucked it is the opposite of using the players at your disposal correctly.

I also don’t think that the teams collapse has nothing to do with the bulk of the team being told they aren’t here next year, that’s not on him as I remember one of his press conferences was where he went into detail about how wrong it was to be in out situation and who knows maybe some felt they could have earned a place and maybe some are raging that their mates are off - that I don’t know

What does confuse me is the use of Scott Wright this season, can’t fathom that one at all
We dont have much choice due to injuries. Were down to the bare bones, Maybe some of them got too comfortable as they know theres no competition for places.

Do we wait until they've won another title or two until we hope to appoint someone that can beat Celtic.

Back