Colin Stein

omar

Lovely to see this legend on the park tonight at half time.

I searched on twitter for references to him and found it unbelievable the bile that the jolly craicsters publicly spill about the tragedy which took place.

Not only do they show their lack of knowledge about the events, but they openly pour sectarian acid upon the souls of the dead.

I searched on twitter for references to him and found it unbelievable the bile that the jolly craicsters publicly spill about the tragedy which took place.

Not only do they show their lack of knowledge about the events, but they openly pour sectarian acid upon the souls of the dead.

Such people shall never prosper. Colin Stein the legend indeed. What a player!

I can’t post photos, but I’m sure that
@MazzCFC7
@Nxstii
@pthomson8
@strochsfccandyman

won’t mind any FF detectives looking in?

Along with John Greig my favourite Ranger as a wean. I was born in 62 so just missed the great Millar, Brand and Wilson team but Colin Stein was the ultimate hero as back in the late 60's. I had the privilege of being at his first home game when we thrashed Hibs, his former team, by 6 goals and he netted a hat trick. Great memories and on You Tube under IIRC Colin Stein v Hibs 1968 or Willie Henderson V Hibs 1968. Basically it shows wee Willie heading a goal into the Copland Rd end. I've watched it a hundred times. My late father took me and my brother to the game and it was a real treat . Never forgotten.

Colin Stein Dave Smith and Tom Forsyth were my schoolboy hero's. I had a few beers with Dave Smith in Luxembourg. Would love to have a few beers with Colin and Tom. All three together would be a dream.

Broke into song when he came on "Colin Colin Colin Stein the greatest centre you've ever seen"

Got some funny looks from the kids around me. Would it have been too much of a stretch for the media team to have put a montage of his goals on the big screens for the benefit of younger Bears?

Barcelona 72 and Easter rd 75 are some of the most iconic moments in our history.

Bring Colin back for another half-time draw and put his glorious goals up for all to see.

Broke into song when he came on "Colin Colin Colin Stein the greatest centre you've ever seen"

Got some funny looks from the kids around me. Would it have been too much of a stretch for the media team to have put a montage of his goals on the big screens for the benefit of younger Bears?

Barcelona 72 and Easter rd 75 are some of the most iconic moments in our history.

Bring Colin back for another half-time draw and put his glorious goals up for all to see.

Started doing that for a while for players doing the draw, and it massively helped get the crowd more into it.
Agree totally, bring it back.

DJ was last Sunday, another perfect player for a goals video.

I had a massive poster on my bedroom wall of Big Colin. For some reason it was all red he was wearing! I think it must have been some artistic nonsense. Jings! I still loved it.

Started doing that for a while for players doing the draw, and it massively helped get the crowd more into it.
Agree totally, bring it back.

DJ was last Sunday, another perfect player for a goals video.
Yes, and Derek Parlane late last season.

Great call my friend Exactly what the club should do !!!

I was honoured to see Colin Stein play for Rangers, he was an unbelievable player, what a guy he was up front leading a very good side of the time. Him, Bud and wee Doddie were every young fans dream to be as we grew up.
His transfer from Hivs was the catalyst for me getting to go Ibrox with my mate. I was about 11 or 12 and loved the buzz he generated among the fans and his explosive start to his time with us.
Years later recall watching playing in the reserves and hearing clearly him demanding passes and going mental when they were not forthcoming.

I was honoured to see Colin Stein play for Rangers, he was an unbelievable player, what a guy he was up front leading a very good side of the time. Him, Bud and wee Doddie were every young fans dream to be as we grew up.

I had my picture taken with the three of them and Peter McCloy just a few years back. My favourite picture.

Colin Stein was a bit before my time and seen very little footage of him - could some older bears tell enlighten me a little - what players was he similar to - late 80s onwards?

Colin Stein had the mentally challengeds terrified in the run up to the SCF in 1969. So much that when Stein was ordered off against Clyde in a league match at Ibrox ( For retaliation against a mentally challenged thug called Eddie Mulhern who booted Stein all over the park for most of the game) his ban included ruling him out of the Hampden showpiece. The President of the SFA just happened to be Robert Kelly, chairman of the mentally challengeds.

Job done. Stein's replacement Sir Alex Ferguson had a nightmare as did the whole team that day which ranks as the worst day I've ever had as a bear.

Colin Stein was a bit before my time and seen very little footage of him - could some older bears tell enlighten me a little - what players was he similar to - late 80s onwards?
He was before my time too (I was born in 1975) but I’ve never heard a bad word about him. A good finisher, great in the air and as hard as fuc. When I used to rave about Hateley, my old man told me that he couldn’t lace Colin Stein’s boots. (My old boy played again Stein a few times.)

I’m sure older bears will have a better comparison than this!

He was before my time too (I was born in 1975) but I’ve never heard a bad word about him. A good finisher, great in the air and as hard as fuc. When I used to rave about Hateley, my old man told me that he couldn’t lace Colin Stein’s boots. (My old boy played again Stein a few times.)

I’m sure older bears will have a better comparison than this!
An all action 100% old fashioned Centre Forward. Two good feet and superb in the air. Also a hardy bastard who would terrorise the opposition with his physical presence.

A complete departure from his predecessors in Jim Forrest and Alex Ferguson.

My hero! Brave as a lion and deceptively skilful. Would have chased a crisp packet on a windy day if he thought he could catch it!

Scored the goal that stopped ten in a row in my first ever away game. For that reason alone, I’ve always thought the world of Colin Stein. Of course there are many, many reasons to think the world of Colin Stein.
That is still my favourite headed goal. If you watch closely the power he gets out of his neck muscles is incredible. The Gers fan went mental went it went in.

Happy days!

Mr Colin Stein corrected the half time compere for introducing him as scoring two goals in the ECWC final. How the fuuk did that guy make that mistake.

Colin Stein was my boyhood hero. I was lucky enough to see legends like Ralph Brand, Jimmy Millar, Jim Forrest etc, but Stein was a different kind of striker. A natural goal scorer, would cover every blade of grass for 90 minutes and had the heart of a lion. He never gave opposing defences a second of peace.

My Dad and I were at the league match against Clyde in 1969 (I was 13) when, right in front of us, a dirty bastard called Eddie Mulheron hacked him three times from behind. Any one of those fouls would have been a straight red today. A less honest player would have gone down right away and got Mulheron sent off. But Colin Stein being Colin Stein, didn't go down after the first hack, nor the second, but after the third, turned round and gave Mulheron a taste of his own medicine.

Referee runs over, red card for Stein. We were 6-0 up at the time! His subsequent suspension meant he missed the Scottish Cup Final where we got gubbed 4-0 by the tims.

I've related this story on here before, but I'll use any excuse to tell it again! I used to carry out Quality Assurance audits, and one audit I did was on a Coventry company. The guy who I was dealing with obviously thought a day-long audit was a waste of his valuable time. Every question I asked was like pulling teeth, with the legal minimum responses every time.

More out of protocol, rather than wanting to spend even more time with me, he invited me to a pub lunch at the wee pub next door. Once we got talking, and knowing I was from Glasgow, he asked me what team I supported. "Rangers," I replied.

His wee face lit up, and he started telling me that the best player Coventry ever had, came from Rangers. Simultaneously, we said, "Colin Stein." I went on to tell him that Colin Stein was my boyhood hero, that I was gutted when he left Rangers and, that when he came back, it was only fitting that his goal against Hibs in 1975 stopped their 10-in-a-row.

h84mkdF.png

0hGbLHf.png

(Credit to Andy The Photo Doctor for the colourisation)

After lunch, the guy couldn't do enough for me, and I left with a new best buddy.

I was able to tell Colin Stein that story in Vancouver at the 2016 NARSA convention. I had just finished the story when Willie Johnston walked past. "Willie, come and listen to this," Stein said. I re-told the story and wee Wille pointed to my boyhood hero and said. "Whit, that useless bastard?"

P.S. He didn't say bastard.

P.P.S. The company failed the audit.

Colin Stein was my boyhood hero. I was lucky enough to see legends like Ralph Brand, Jimmy Millar, Jim Forrest etc, but Stein was a different kind of striker. A natural goal scorer, would cover every blade of grass for 90 minutes and had the heart of a lion. He never gave opposing defences a second of peace.

My Dad and I were at the league match against Clyde in 1969 (I was 13) when, right in front of us, a dirty bastard called Eddie Mulheron hacked him three times from behind. Any one of those fouls would have been a straight red today. A less honest player would have gone down right away and got Mulheron sent off. But Colin Stein being Colin Stein, didn't go down after the first hack, nor the second, but after the third, turned round and gave Mulheron a taste of his own medicine.

Referee runs over, red card for Stein. We were 6-0 up at the time! His subsequent suspension meant he missed the Scottish Cup Final where we got gubbed 4-0 by the tims.

I've related this story on here before, but I'll use any excuse to tell it again! I used to carry out Quality Assurance audits, and one audit I did was on a Coventry company. The guy who I was dealing with obviously thought a day-long audit was a waste of his valuable time. Every question I asked was like pulling teeth, with the legal minimum responses every time.

More out of protocol, rather than wanting to spend even more time with me, he invited me to a pub lunch at the wee pub next door. Once we got talking, and knowing I was from Glasgow, he asked me what team I supported. "Rangers," I replied.

His wee face lit up, and he started telling me that the best player Coventry ever had, came from Rangers. Simultaneously, we said, "Colin Stein." I went on to tell him that Colin Stein was my boyhood hero, that I was gutted when he left Rangers and, that when he came back, it was only fitting that his goal against Hibs in 1975 stopped their 10-in-a-row.

h84mkdF.png

0hGbLHf.png

After lunch, the guy couldn't do enough for me, and I left with a new best buddy.

I was able to tell Colin Stein that story in Vancouver at the 2016 NARSA convention. I had just finished the story when Willie Johnston walked past. "Willie, come and listen to this," Stein said. I re-told the story and wee Wille pointed to my boyhood hero and said. "Whit, that useless bastard?"

Thanks for that! Before my time its just good to get a bit more insight!

Mr Colin Stein corrected the half time compere for introducing him as scoring two goals in the ECWC final. How the fuuk did that guy make that mistake.

That same mistake was made when Arthur Montford asked Colin Stein about his two goals in an interview on the team bus on the way back from the airport to Ibrox after the game in Barcelona.

I saw his Ibrox league debut v Hibs when he scored a hat trick. Since that day, Colin Stein has been my favourite Ranger.

Last edited:
First rangers player I seen scoring live. Was a 1-1 draw against airdrie. In the old derry. Old man and my uncle put me and my cousin down the front and told not to move,till they came to get us as they moved up the back with brown bag for some whisky refreshment.

the words I remember were...

we don't need yer davie hay
we effin hate the iranaway
we got John Greig and Colin Stein
and Her Majesty the Queen...

could be slightly off base but showing my age loyal...
Another: We dont need Eusebio
We dont need Eusebio
We dont need Eusebio
Cause we've got Colin Stein
Oh Colin, Colin, Colin Stein
Colin, Colin Stein.
Good times and great memories

h84mkdF.png

0hGbLHf.png

I was in that terracing behind the big man.

He looked so small tonight tae. Auld age comes tae us aww.

Colin Stein had the mentally challengeds terrified in the run up to the SCF in 1969. So much that when Stein was ordered off against Clyde in a league match at Ibrox ( For retaliation against a mentally challenged thug called Eddie Mulhearn who booted Stein all over the park for most of the game) his ban included ruling him out of the Hampden showpiece. The President of the SFA just happened to be Robert Kelly, chairman of the mentally challengeds.

Job done. Stein's replacement Sir Alex Ferguson had a nightmare as did the whole team that day which ranks as the worst day I've ever had as a bear.
Yes Mulhearn was a nut job me and my mate went up to Park Gardens the day they both were appearing and give a wee bit of support for big Colin.
Mulhern got a bit of verbal and was chompin at the bit to come over to us, it's just a pity his mate never allowed him to he would have got more than verbal, ah those were the days, yes and even then we were handicapped by the Vaticans in control, Kelly knows but then again Sssshh.

Last edited:
Back