Concerned about our form

First half v the sheep, the cup final and for the first 60mins last night - we played very well. Form is not a concern.

Killing teams off is a concern.

If Morelos doesn’t score goals (injury, form or a man marking job) - we’re fücked. Time for the likes of Kent, Aribo and Arfield to arrive to the party with some goals.

Last edited:
It’s a concern that we have failed to finish these games from strong positions, absolute domination from us, twice getting in front and failing to see it out. I can only put it down to lack of goals from elsewhere in our team, we really cannot go on depending on Morelos. The others don’t seem to be stepping up and I can’t fathom out why Stewart isn’t getting an opportunity and he has provided goals previously.

No doubt the results from the last three games should have been,W,W,W.
But it was our inability to put teams away that made it D,L,D.
The main reason could be that the last two games we missed Davis.
If we can learn to play for 90 minutes then the title will be won.

1 goal leads away to feyenoord and against a young boys team chasing a win are not strong winning positions.
I do agree though we need to score more goals while we are so much in top of teams

That's a few times I've seen this posted with no regard at all for the facts. As per my previous post:

In our last 10 games we've scored 24 goals and half of them were scored by midfielders. What sort of return are you expecting?
If we want to get better and start winning the big important games? More.

If you watch us and think the goalscoring threat coming from Jack/Davis/Kamara/Kent/Aribo etc is good enough then thats fine. I disagree, and so does Morelos clearly judging by his reaction at full time, did any of them even manage a shot last night?

In the last three matches, despite faing to win we've played some sparkling football. The first 40mins v Aberdeen, the first 70 mins v them and the first 60 mins last night were all superb, so I'm not so concerned about form as such.
What is a concern though is our inability to sustain our good form and our inability to kill games off.

Absolutely spot on. Some of our football is a joy to watch just now. We play with an intensity that our opponents are really struggling with but we put ourselves under unnecessary pressure by not killing teams off when we are dominating.

We get away with it against the sh*te but in the tougher games we aren't because good teams inevitably always have a good spell in a game and if you only have a slim lead or we are still sitting at 0-0 it puts us in a precarious position and a lot of pressure on our defense.

have to say im the same, Defoes goals have dried up, although granted he hasn't played too much, but the lack of goals from midfield is a genuine concern
Yep I agree, I noticed a few times last night when we broke fast on the right wing there was nobody making a forward run into the box and by the time someone did get into the box the momentum had gone.

He's bang on the money though

Aye ok - I just wish if for once the ”fans” would get behind the team (and individual players) when we are under the cosh rather than the moaning and groaning that comes from the stands.

The shouts/comments coming from some in the main stand (front) bordered on the ridiculous - short memories but hey ho what do I know.

Last edited:
Within all these games we've produced some wonderful moments, what we need to eliminate is the "dips" that have undoubtedly cost us.

I will add nobody is saying we are shite or nonsense like that.
The problem is in these 4 big games we have played good football and had numerous chances to win them all but all we got to show for it was 2 loses and 2 draws.
Our wide players have to improve their form considerably and SG might need to go into the transfer market.

Sunday it was
No matter we played well we did not get a result, results are what count.
Thursday it is
We got the result but we need to play well.

FF at its best

Thought we and Alfie/Defoe were more free scoring when there was the rotation going on. Alfie looks knackered, think we're starting to see the issues you'd expect with only having 2 senior front men in the squad.

We were fairly poor second half but our biggest issue is a lack of clinicalness in the final third, be it the final ball or finishing. We are dominating teams but not putting them away when on top which is our biggest issue imho.

We have now thrown strong winning positions away against Feyenoord, Aberdeen and Young Boys and also failed to beat Celtic despite dominating the play in most of these games . We had numerous opportunities to win them and couldn’t take advantage while our defence has looked fragile at times also. There is also the concern that apart from Morelos nobody else seems to be scoring also.
This has to be sorted over the next few busy game schedule until the winter break, I am just thankful we got through last night.
We just qualified for the knock-out stages of Europe for the first time in nearly a decade and you have created a negative thread. Unbelievable.
It's no coincidence your avatar is Victor Meldrew.

The football, specifically in the first half of recent games, has been out of this world and great to watch. We are total control. It seems we drop off in the second half or if a team scores against us, we seem to stall our game plan rather than keep going with it.

Last night, like the recent games, was disappointing because it’s a game that should have been killed off before YB even got a sight of goal.

We need to start converting a higher ratio of our chances in these dominant spells. It’s as simple as that. For that to happen, the wide players need to start scoring and Arfield needs to get himself in about the goals as we know he can. Morelos cannot be depended on every minute of every game. He is so much more than a goal scorer. He was out on his feet at the end last night.

That's amazing. Post of the day and it's not even 10 o'clock yet.

In our last 10 games we've scored 24 goals and half of them were scored by midfielders. What sort of return are you expecting?
I take that on board, however it was the last 5 games I was on about but in fairness I haven't said that anywhere

We have now thrown strong winning positions away against Feyenoord, Aberdeen and Young Boys and also failed to beat Celtic despite dominating the play in most of these games . We had numerous opportunities to win them and couldn’t take advantage while our defence has looked fragile at times also. There is also the concern that apart from Morelos nobody else seems to be scoring also.
This has to be sorted over the next few busy game schedule until the winter break, I am just thankful we got through last night.

So form isn’t bad finishing is?

I am worried for Sunday. Motherwell will be in our faces for the full 90 minutes, getting away with all sorts while we look physically and mentally shattered.

whoever the ref is, they’ll allow kicking lumps out of us for the full 90 mins

The two wide players need to score. Countless times over the last week the ball has been loose in the 6 yard box waiting on a tap in.

Alfie has at least one of those diagonal shots per game. The player from the opposite side must match his run for any rebounds.
We did not have a real winger on last night as Kent is playing central at the moment, Jones should be playing shortly and it cant come quick enough for me.

We were hanging on for dear life the last 30 to 40 mins last night. I think we've missed Davis' calming influence. We need an experienced holding midfielder to keep possession and calm the team down. Frantic play does not play into our hands.

The two wide players need to score. Countless times over the last week the ball has been loose in the 6 yard box waiting on a tap in.

Alfie has at least one of those diagonal shots per game. The player from the opposite side must match his run for any rebounds.

100% correct mate, I said the exact same thing to my mate last night. However, it’s not only the wide players, one of the midfield 3 needs to be making they late runs into the box to pick up the rebounds.

Far too reliant on Tavernier and Morelos to contribute, assist, score.

I'm delighted we are through to the last 32 but a home win guarantees top spot - we drew whilst being the better side.

Ruthlessness, we don't have it.

Bheggars at Ibrox, Hearts away, Aberdeen away, cup final and even last night. There is a pattern...

'Form' didn't stop us beating Celtic.

The same 'form' got us through to Europe after new year.

The Sheep game was the only one of the 3 that was a genuine mess.

Sometimes you have to accept other teams have something to play for too, last night Young Boys, who are Swiss champs and no mugs remember, faced going out of Europe and went for it, it was natural that we were going to be under pressure and hold on a bit.

For me there has been no loss of form, we had a shit result in Aberdeen, a good performance but horrible result last Sunday and did the job last night.

Getting European football after Xmas from the group we were in should be met with a bit more enthusiasm than this to be honest.

I'm delighted we are through to the last 32 but a home win guarantees top spot - we drew whilst being the better side.

Bheggars at Ibrox, Hearts away, Aberdeen away, cup final and even last night. There is a pattern...

If you just select data to suit an agenda aye.

I will add nobody is saying we are shite or nonsense like that.
The problem is in these 4 big games we have played good football and had numerous chances to win them all but all we got to show for it was 2 loses and 2 draws.
Our wide players have to improve their form considerably and SG might need to go into the transfer market.

Well that's the thing, we are not shite but also we are not world beaters either.

Our standard of play is improving all the time but we are still restricted by the same limitations that come with our relative position in the grand scheme of things.

Some might call it a defeatist attitude but I just see it as managing expectations.

Even if SG goes into the transfer market what's the best we can hope for in terms of signings?
Probably more of the same, if we are being honest.

I badly wanted us to win the league cup, want to see us win the league, wanted to even see us top the group last night.

Truth is that it's very much all up in the air as we can't ever really sign players that will guarantee these things so we are looking at a situation where we will never have a perfect squad.

I find it's easier to support the team and manage expectations. I am also concerned about form and mentality but we should also appreciate what we've got and understand that we aren't going to be perfect.

It’s not really a pattern, it’s games peppered through a season where we haven’t got everything our own way amongst lots of good performances and results, just like any season.

Totally agree. Gerrard’s game management was definitely in question in those 4 big games.

Our wide front players are not contributing enough and as a result we are far too dependent on Morelos.My view is Kent will have to show far more than he is doing and all the others available for the other slot are either simply not good enough or are not suited to that position.We need to bring a goal scoring wide player or striker who can play wide off Alfie in January even on A loan or we will be winning nothing

If you just select data to suit an agenda aye.

The tougher matches. No point in mentioning St. Mirren or St. Johnstone away as they are bread and butter wins. We've had a relatively easy run of away fixtures up until December.

We will see where we are after the next three away league games; Motherwell, Hibs and the bheggars.

Many predicted an absolute pummeling last night of Young Boys. We battered them first half but failed to take our chances - that's a concern. I've no complaints on Europe, we've been excellent but given the circumstances last night I can see why some are slightly disappointed at not topping the group.

Think the big concern for most people is that if Alfredo doesnt score then we've not really got anyone else who looks like scoring

The tougher matches. No point in mentioning St. Mirren or St. Johnstone away as they are bread and butter wins. We've had a relatively easy run of away fixtures up until December.

We will see where we are after the next three away league games; Motherwell, Hibs and the bheggars.

Many predicted an absolute pummeling last night of Young Boys. We battered them first half but failed to take our chances - that's a concern. I've no complaints on Europe, we've been excellent but given the circumstances last night I can see why some are slightly disappointed at not topping the group.

Aye pattern aye....

Swiss Champions, Cup Final.....Hearts....that's not a pattern, that's just selecting results at total random.

Do you ever actually read the things you say.

"many predicted"

Who assess Rangers through the prism of what is posted on here..

Christ.

People predicting an absolute pummelling of the Swiss champions are just daft though, so maybe judging a game on daft folks expectations isn’t the best idea.

Agree.

The last 3 games were important,
we dominated all 3 yet ended up D, L, D
scoring only 3 goals. That has to be a concern.
We need players other than Alfie scoring
We need to get ruthless and kill teams off when we are on top.

Arfield and Jack scored 2 of those 3 goals.

Only the Aberdeen game was a shit show, folk are desperately trying to paint as bleak a picture as possible for god knows what reason.

I don’t really see how anyone can genuinely decry people for being worried about our lack of goals when it’s plain for everyone to see that if Morelos doesn’t score we struggle to score. Regardless of dodgy decisions or standard of opponent that’s the undeniable truth. It’s far more evident against the better quality teams as well.

It’s not our Form we have played well in most games , It’s the decision making up front and inability to finish off and see games out.

We are also having terrible luck and some extremely poor refereeing decisions.

Far to reliant on Morelos and our knack of gifting the opposition a freebie or two.
Sunday’s game will be another physical encounter with us being booted up and down the park with next to no protection.

Back