Connor Goldson - brilliant signing and our best CB

krillster

Two years ago we earned a point in Firhill with Cardoso and Alves as our centre backs. So I have to say I'm quite pleased with how things are going with Goldson and the other three quality centre backs. We have to remember, that even Goldson and Helander, even they're considered as "more experienced guys, are just coming into the best age for central defender. Good days are coming.

Stevie_Gee

there's a reason every opposition team put their main striker on Connor Goldson as they see him as our weakest central defender he rarely dominates his direct opponent
I hate this place for posts like this.

Absolute nonsense that will stay in some fans heads, I reckon most people on here only see us in highlights on sportscene whatever and their opinion of players is based on this forums favourites.

Goldson has been getting slaughtered over the top since the old firm, he's the better defender right now between him and Katic. Katic's errors don't seem to be highlighted in the same way by certain posters.

We're lucky we have four centre halves who should be good enough to slot into our first eleven if called upon.

For me, and many others including the gaffer it seems Goldson is our best choice.

Obviously your man on the forums knows more than Stevie G and Gary Mac though.

Danger Zone

Absolute nonsense that will stay in some fans heads, I reckon most people on here only see us in highlights on sportscene whatever and their opinion of players is based on this forums favourites.

Goldson has been getting slaughtered over the top since the old firm, he's the better defender right now between him and Katic. Katic's errors don't seem to be highlighted in the same way by certain posters.

We're lucky we have four centre halves who should be good enough to slot into our first eleven if called upon.

For me, and many others including the gaffer it seems Goldson is our best choice.

I find it to be the opposite. We’ve got a group who can’t wait to shine a light on any Katic error but like to sweep Goldson’s under the rug. Even in that OF game we had people actually try and claim both centre backs share equal blame for the goal when Goldson was clearly the instigator and chief culprit for the whole thing.

As for the last bit, I had a brief discussion earlier about how the pros often get it wrong, sometimes very wrong, and that football is a simple game. That brings me back to the OF game, would you say Stevie G and Gary Mac got it right and the fans who showed concern for the line up and insisted Jones and Morelos should have started, got it wrong? It would be a boring place if they didn’t make mistakes and we were allowed to challenge some of their calls, especially when they are shown to be blatant errors of judgement, ala two weeks ago.

Bowery Boy

I rate Goldson but his form has dipped in the last couple of games. I think it's time we introduced Helander to the side, although it'll be Katic who drops out.

jigster

Official Ticketer

Not at all only giving an opinion , its been said " do you even watch Rangers " maybe if some fans take off their blue tinted glasses they'll maybe see something different , its not unusual for strikers to target a defence's weakness and Goldson almost sold us in an " one on one " against Legia before we scored ...... so to answer a few of you " yes i do actually watch Rangers "

Uncle Albert

Not just Goldson, but as a fan base we really don't seem prepared to back our players through a dip in form.

I left the ground on Saturday ranting that Hellander and King should come in but then, I'm not managing that person. Gerrard has to back his players to get back on it, maybe then they'll take a painkilling objection to play through an OF game for him, like Goldson did before.

If the form gets too bad to ignore I agree you change it but never underestimate how easy it is on here or in the pub to talk about dropping players - we're not the ones doing it.

CaptainCourageous

So a player who has been underperforming shouldn't be dropped? Next calling for Arfield to be dropped will be seen as a witch hunt.

Katić has had two poor games yet deserves to be dropped. Over the course of the season, Katić has been our best centre back overall IMO and would probably have made way for Helander had he made that error agaisnt the bheggars.

Goldson is solid but he's not the player made out to be and his distribution is awful. Of only the same applies to every player in terms of performing/under performing and being replaced in the side.

cloodie

there's a reason every opposition team put their main striker on Connor Goldson as they see him as our weakest central defender he rarely dominates his direct opponent
The majority of shots against us come from the other side of the park, not Goldsons.

cloodie

Going into the last game of last season we’d conceded exactly half the goals in the league that we had the previous season. That’s a massive change and Goldson is due a lot of the credit for that.

ElBarrileteCosmico

I like him a lot but he does have a few errors in him and some big weaknesses. In fact, I really like Katic but you could say the exact same about him.

On balance I reckon that Goldson is our best centre back but certainly not good enough to be immune from being dropped.

Jaws

He's a cracking player however the point of a squad with two players for every position (SG's own oft stated philosophy) is that if your form dips the other guy comes in. Both Goldson and Katic were poor on Saturday and Goldson had a shocker against Celtic (not Katic's finest game either). Helander and Edmundson both due a chance IMHO.

Commentator

Not excusing the OF mis-pass but the real issue here is too often the CBs are left with responsibility for creating attacks. Where's the out-ball, the midfield? Worral made an arse of it that time but he had no one to pass to, Bates was slaughtered regularly for the same thing.
Having said that, the manager missed a real opportunity to give the central defence a breather on Saturday before a very tough mid-week game.

Monts1310

Like the big guy but he’s not undroppable.

100% should not have played against Livi.
All about opinions.

He 100% should have started v Livi, for me.

He is our best CB. And will play virtually every match.

Again, everyone views it differently.

Jase

Well, of the two guys in possession I’d have Katic over Goldson. They do different jobs but I think Katic does his the better of the two. Edmundson & Helander are relatively unknown quantities but when SG split the Goldson/Katic combo last season was when we started leaking more goals. I doubt he’ll do it again until there is an injury to one of them.

jigster

Official Ticketer
The majority of shots against us come from the other side of the park, not Goldsons.
are you on about left side /right side ?? i've only said Goldson never dominates his opposite player and out of him and Katic strikers always pull on to him

Goldson is a good defender. I dont recall many posts on here saying we should get rid.
What i do see, is when his form dips, calls for him to be rested from the starting XI. That is literally the point in having a squad where more than one player is capable and pushing for the starting jersey. If your form dips you are under pressure.
The error at the old firm is one example, but there have been more. Katic he has been the stronger of the two since the start of the year, and has covered a lot of Goldsons errors.
I dont see that as unfair on Goldson, football is a mans game. Take the criticism

pepsimax73

This has been rumbling along for a while now one side saying goldson has to sit on the bench for a while and the other saying he's the best defender for that position, imo he has been solid most of the time but there has been a few games where he's not been in it. There must be a reason that the manager sticks by him and Helander sits on the bench personally I like to see if the £3.5 million we paid for the swede was money well spent but in Gerrard we trust

FettercairnLoyal

Official Ticketer
There's not much between Katic and Goldson to be honest, both great players but both make simple mistakes.

Katic is younger and has the potential to far exceed Goldson and is certainly the more valuable to us imo.

Muzza

*best*

So many of our supporters have short memories. Been excellent for us. Sure old firm error was costly but hes been a warrior for us since signing, deserves backing from us. Not a witch hunt to oust him from team.

Love the big man. Rightly trusted by Gerrard.
Well said OP. Some of the p!sh I've read on here and Social Media since "the Celtic pass" are ridiculous.

I back him, Katic or whoever SG decides in the starting 11. Goldson has been immense since he signed for Rangers. Katic has done very well this season but lets not kid on he is Franco Baresi!!

Keyboard warriors at their best. Massive game on Thursday night and as soon as team is selected all you will get is why is he playing, why is he no playing.. Blah blah..

dt17

Goldson's had plenty of good games for us but he's also had more mistakes (off the top of my head) than Katic, yet I'd put money on Katic getting dropped before Goldson ever does.

D4RN-L

I like the big fella when he’s on his game but I never usually feel confident in him for 90 mins. A bit like bug Shirley McPherson back in the day, dependable but always with the option of a dolly day dream clanger now and then.

Thebearman

He's been a good signing that's for sure. Thought toward the end of last season he looked burnt out, no wonder after missing so much football previously.

I thought Sat would have been an ideal game to give him a rest and give Helander some much needed game time, even Edmundson could argue his case for a game. It's going to be difficult to keep all the centre halfs happy

bluetonic

He needs to stop thinking he is bloody Franco Baresi with these 40 yard passes, our midfield should always be available to take the ball from him

What's the story

Nope OP not having any of that nonsense, your only as good as your last game.....and need to smash it every week if you want a jersey.....end of!
Helander impressed enough in the limited time hes had and in training? He cant have otherwise he would be playing. Goldson been the rock at heart of defence that's got us into Europa league twice with lots of clean sheets and hes chipped in with big goals already. Killie away especially. Hes vice captain for a reason. Never hides. We can agree to disagree haha

MarkieLoyal

Goldson, cracking player, i`d argue not our best centre half though.....

We need to see more of Helander however to rank all 4 realistically.

standardbarger

*best*

So many of our supporters have short memories. Been excellent for us. Sure old firm error was costly but hes been a warrior for us since signing, deserves backing from us. Not a witch hunt to oust him from team.

Love the big man. Rightly trusted by Gerrard.
Like him to but he is not the best I'm afraid.

What's the story

I like goldson but he does appear to be untouchable.
Untouchable in the sense that Gerrard absolutely trusts him, hes played constantly for us with niggles etc since signing and he is a goal threat. I can see why hes a go to guy for the gaffer.

Big clamour for helander, if we hadn't paid 3mil there wouldnt be. He looked ok in appearances so far.

Crispy Bacon

Untouchable in the sense that Gerrard absolutely trusts him, hes played constantly for us with niggles etc since signing and he is a goal threat. I can see why hes a go to guy for the gaffer.

Big clamour for helander, if we hadn't paid 3mil there wouldnt be. He looked ok in appearances so far.
“Clamour for helander, if we hadn’t paid 3m there wouldn’t be”

If yer aunt had baws etc. The fact is we DID pay 3m for him.