Controversial opinions you got right and wrong

I thought Joey Barton as going to be a loud mouthed, obnoxious dud. Right.
I thought Pedro was an incomprehensible appointment, and he'd be shite. Right.
I thought Basile Boli was going to be world class for us. Wrong.

I still think we made a mistake in getting rid of Le Guen instead of the players who clearly didn't want to work with him and adapt to his standards of professionalism. I think that Le Guen was stupid to come here in the first place without being guaranteed a larger transfer budget and without doing a bit of research on the lack of professionalism (in comparison) at the club and in Scotland in general. A part of that is a slight on Rangers but it's also in relation to how professional and well run Lyon were at the time.

I still think we made a mistake in getting rid of Le Guen instead of the players who clearly didn't want to work with him and adapt to his standards of professionalism. I think that Le Guen was stupid to come here in the first place without being guaranteed a larger transfer budget and without doing a bit of research on the lack of professionalism (in comparison) at the club and in Scotland in general. A part of that is a slight on Rangers but it's also in relation to how professional and well run Lyon were at the time.

Le Guen engineered the situation to leave, 100%. It was never a case of backing the players over Le Guen.

Got it wrong with Warburton (i’m sure most of us did). Got it wrong with Halliday, I still think he’s one of the weakest parts of the squad but I previously said he had no business being here and that was wrong, he can clearly make a contribution. I got it spectacularly wrong with Kevin Thomson, I was gutted we’d signed him instead of Lego, reality is Thomson was fantastic and far better than Lego when fit.

After many heated debates I have to say I got it absolutely spot on with Josh Windass and Barrie McKay. Also got it spot on with Morelos and Cummings (the vast numbers who preferred ‘cumdog’ will never own up to it now anyway). Starting to sound like a know it all but I also said Martin would be a poor signing at the time and was met with quite a bit of opposition. Called it right with Aluko, I’d seen him up close from the west enclosure and knew he had quite a bit of ability, his singing was largely ridiculed at the time.

Edit: forgot to add Lafferty to the list. Said it was a strange buy and there was no way he was better than Morelos, was given the old “ah but if he scored x amount for Hearts how many would he score for us!”, explained that it doesn’t work like that, and well....here we are. So yeah I’m called that one right too.

Last edited:
Controversial's maybe the wrong word but what unconventional or committed attitude did you have about something that turned out to be entirely right or wrong?

I thought Davie Weir was an over-the-hill, tired veteran looking for one last payday and that'd he'd be gone by the end of his first season. Whoops.

With the talk of Leeds blowing their chances of promotion, I'm reminded of Hibs' Championship playoff against Falkirk in 2016. I was desperate for them to win as the final against Killie was after the Scottish Cup final and there's no way they'd have committed as much to winning the cup if there was a chance they'd still go up. Took pelters from family and mates at the time. Still think there's no way they'd have won if Falkirk hadn't have scored right at the death.

1/2 time in Pedro’s first match in charge- I said he was an absolute diddy. Turned out correct.

I thought Harry Kane was massively overrated and would never make a top class centre forward.

I thought Man Utd made a massive mistake when giving Solskjaer the job.

I think Rashford is overrated

Didn't trust Shyte and what transpired there made me even more suspicious of Green & co.
Absolutely, spectacularly wrong about Gazza. Thought he would be injury prone and a constant embarrassment to the club who would be gone when the next big club flashed its knickers at him. But he quickly won me round.

Was sure Paul le guen was going to transform us !

On a brighter note always thought novo would be a great signing when he was at Dundee .
That’ll be one of mine.
I said during that summer that PLG wouldn’t need to make signings on a massive scale as all we needed was to be tactically aware and organised.

One i got wrong - Le Guen. I think many of us did. I thought we landed the best young manager in European football and was ecstatic.

One i was right, sadly was Craig Whyte. I looked at the contract of agreement between Craig Whyte and David Murray, saw the mentions of 'insolvency events' throughout and that immediately gave me cause for concern.

I wasn't particularly welcome on FF for a while, my perspective not being shared by most others on here.

I said Bocanegra was finished when he signed, also said James Beattie was finished long before we signed him.
Half right

I think most of these things come from people rating a player after a single game. Sometimes a single half of football.

Walter Smith should’ve left after the end of the 1993/1994 season
I still stand by that

Was right about Pedro and knew we were singing complete duds from Mexico

Was utterly convinced that Alan Gow would be an amazing Rangers player, had his name on my top & bought a badge of him.

I said to a Tim acquaintance on the original Helicopter Sunday year, after seeing the fixtures after the split ," I don't think this is over yet"...

Correct: CG was a fraud and he was spending money at such an alarming rate he was determined to run us into the ground for a second time.

Wrong: Was totally against Walter Smith coming back second time around. Felt it would be a cop out and a move back toward the archaic football of Scottish football we had been trying to rise above for years. Thankfully, I was badly wrong.

We all thought that at the time, he took a while to settle in really.
Not all, but a lot certainly. Same with McCoist and many others since. As a support we were (and are!) very quick to write players off if they don't set the heather on fire from day 1.

My "spidey senses" were telling me that Craig Whyte was a wrong-yin from day one.

Right (rangers related): never trusted Charles green from day one

Wrong (rangers related): actually trusted Craig Whyte longer than I should

Right (non rangers): never for one moment thought Ole should get the United job, even in the midst of his winning run. Even at this early stage, I think I've been proven right

Wrong (non rangers): when Mkhitaryan signed for United, I said he'd be the signing of the season and the second coming of ronaldo. Oops.

Controversial at the time in the early 90s / mid 90s to question what Murray was doing & the spending / how smith was actually performing as manager. Numerous arguments I had on my supporters bus about where it was all going & my belief that we should’ve been easily winning the domestic treble every year & doing far better in Europe under a different manager considering the money being spent

(you see how things have went with the tims in recent years , that should’ve been us doing trebles back to back in the 90s , they should never have been able to get near us again considering where they were under the Kelly’s/grants and their talk of moving to cambuslang

what I got wrong? Well I was dead against Smith coming back as manager, I disliked immensely how the monster munch gang (& the short patience levels of some of our support) paved way for le guen’s early departure (given he was a coach not used to buying players & certainly not with the reduced money we were then spending)
Smith, was a backward step I felt (and in certain ways that did happen especially with McCoist as his assistant / then annointed to take over. However he did win us the title , was robbed of another due to the spl / Celtic sporting integrity meddling as regards the match fixtures and most importantly and something I will forever hold in memory , smith built a team that got us to a European final , something I never thought would happen , Florence will forever live long with me, one of the best nights of my life (Manchester didn’t go our way / we didn’t do ourselves justice really (cousin bring suspended I think hampered us greatly / big part in that) however those 68 games (a record to this day of competitive games in a season) what an effort the team / manager put in

Correct: Charles Green was a conman

Incorrect: for 5 months I thought Whyte was a good guy (shivers)

Correct: stopped listening to bears talking up players from other Scotish clubs and lower league English sides. I've seen too much wanking over dross

Incorrect: I thought Warburton would be up there with Walter when his time to leave us came (contradicts my point above on players)

Something always niggled away at me with Whyte then Green that there was something "not right". Stupidly fronted it out with non-Rangers acquaintances at the time however :confused:

Kenny Miller sold his soul to the poet badge and should never have darkened our door again. Still stand by that to an extent. That said, didn't stop me launching myself across the pub when he put us 2-1 up in the 4-2 game at the Piggery :oops:

I'm still very much in the minority over Kent. I said very early on during the European qualifiers that he didn't have much end product, especially after the UFA home game where he kept cutting inside and passing it back or losing the ball.

I'd say I called it right on his end product, only one goal more than Middleton from nearly triple the game time. 6 goals from 39 games. I think playing as an out and out winger would suit his strengths far better than as a forward where you need to score goals and play incisive passes.

Thought getting Smith back in after going for a big name in Le Guen was a bit of a shitebag move. I was quickly proved wrong about 30 minutes in to his first game back.

Thomas Buffell was a fantastic player wasted at us for a few years. We had a very good player on our hands and didn't know how to use him. Think I was proved right as he had a decent career after he left us.

My current prediction/opinion is: Icardi will move to a top side and if he can keep his head down, he will be the best striker in the world. An absolute class act and it's criminal that he isn't getting a game at Inter for off field issues.

Lot of people talking about Warburton - probably the biggest one I've gone wrong for a while.

I thought he'd leave us for Spurs or England. I genuinely couldn't believe he was managing us.

Turned out he was a massive charlatan whose lack of experience was quickly found out.

People often talk of Warburton when complaining about the board. At the time, Warburton was a massive signing by the board. He was highly regarded down south, had done very well at Brentford and played exciting football. He was a manager going places. It was a shame how it ended, but that appointment was absolutely nothing like the appointment of Pedro.

I knew Cummings would be useless, plus I thought Kamara would be an excellent signing, so I called them right.

On the negative front, I thought Alves and McAuley would prove to be good experienced centre halfs and srengthen our back line.

Neither worked out the way I hoped.

I was slated on here for pointing out that Harry Forrester didn't even look like a footballer after he came on for his debut (against Morton, I think)

It was everything about him that looked wrong even up to the timing that professional players have which doesn't leave them even when they're unfit.

After a few weeks, I accepted that he'd been doing quite well and have improved vastly.

Looks like my first thoughts on him were right all along though as far as him being a Rangers player goes.

Wrong –

• We would roll over Dundee Utd in the 1994 SC Final. We beat them 3-0 only a few weeks before.
  • Emmerson/Capucho and about another 20 Big Eck signings would be would be a great player for us.
  • PLG would do a turn for us (In fairness, we were great in Europe under him)
  • That Rod Wallace/Aluko/Weir would be rubbish.
  • That we would go places in Europe under Advocaat. Given the squad we had, it’s a travesty that we never managed to get out of the group stage.

Right –

• Craig Whyte was a schyster. You only had to look at his daft coupon. If he was selling me a used car I wouldn’t have trusted him.
  • That we dodged a bullet by not signing Glen Loovens. I had this confirmed when he scored an OG in his first OF game.
  • That when Dave King took over, things would get better. I think we all knew that. After 3 years of conmen, charlatans and philistines we could smell a rat a mile off and we could tell that Dave King had the best interests of the club at heart. I joined the RST so that I could vote for him.

I called out Warburton pretty early on, said we were boring to watch (around Xmas his first season), by the start of the next season I was actively looking him gone. Lost a username and 4k posts over the head of it :D

At the other end of the scale I defended Pedro right up until the bitter end.

I thought Jerome Rothen would have been the best player in the league when we got him on loan from PSG but %^*& me he was dire

I was slated on here for pointing out that Harry Forrester didn't even look like a footballer after he came on for his debut (against Morton, I think)

It was everything about him that looked wrong even up to the timing that professional players have which doesn't leave them even when they're unfit.

After a few weeks, I accepted that he'd been doing quite well and have improved vastly.

Looks like my first thoughts on him were right all along though as far as him being a Rangers player goes.

Always felt Forrester had all the ability but none of the brains or heart.

One of these guys that frustrates the hell out of you because you think he could have been a top player if he'd really applied himself.

Think he liked the idea of being a footballer and everything that went with it but just wanted to coast along with the minimum effort.

I thought Buffel would be a legendary player for us. I was convinced he would rip the league apart.

I still maintain that he was a very talented player we didn’t make best use of, but I also suspect he didn’t have the mentality to make the most of his potential.

I thought Buffel would be a legendary player for us. I was convinced he would rip the league apart.

I still maintain that he was a very talented player we didn’t make best use of, but I also suspect he didn’t have the mentality to make the most of his potential.
disagree, I liked him

Was never convinced by Charles Green, far to many warning signs and unadulterated bullshit. Voicing that opinion on here was like lighting a fuse for folk desperate to defend him/possible ban and led to some heated debates with a few mates in real life - Right!

The 'retail deal' with Ashley, knew it wasn't good business and had, another, heated debate with mates who still said "aye but......." :rolleyes: - Right!

I thought Halliday was finished, but he's been useful this season - Wrong!

I wrote off Dado Prso far to early, and pre his double away to Motherwell..........o_O I know..... Wrong!

I'm wrong all the time.

I thought we didn't need McGregor this season and in the last Old Firm, when Morelos went off, had I not been sitting with family I would have switched the TV. I thought it was going to be another 5-0

Slaughtered on here for saying Ortiz & Rothen were garbage minutes into their respective debuts.

I also claimed Aird was a far better player than McKay and McKay would never play at top level.

Earlier this season I said that Ryan Kent was just a crap Josh Windass. As you would expect, I was called everything from Timmy to Declan. I now openly admit that I got it wrong and the boy achieved a good level of consistency after a stuttering start. Pleased to put things right and I hope we can hold on to him for at least another season.

I always though the Jorg Albertz and Peter Lovenkrands got extremely favourable coverage and adulation from the Rangers support for doing far better against Celtic than most other opposition.

A few goals against the Bheggar seemed to make everyone forget about a lot of poor matches in the rest of the campaign when you knew that they were capable of far better performances.

I also think that Marco Negri’s re-invention as some sort of Rangers stalwart since he retired, turned out for Legends games and said some nice things in his book is a joke.

i said we should Sign Sone Aluko a few months before we did. was slagged to bits. we eventually did and he proved to be a suprb signing

I’m taking this one too. Thought he’d be a great signing I really liked him purely off the back of one game he had against us for the sheep. Slated for it.

Back