Controversial opinions you got right and wrong

After about 10 minutes of watching Rangers play against St Mirren on in the Friday night match at the start of 2015/16 season, I turned to my mate and predicted that Foderingham would inconsistently cost us in big matches. Couldn’t ever quite explain why but could see that the moments of confusion and indecisiveness were coming.

Quite like the big chap but happier to have McGregor in goal.

If we sign Nacho Novo next year we'll win the league. Oh how tims that I said that to laughed

Well we did and we did. I made sure to let them know.

Right - Ally not a good manager. IIRC it was Hamilton in one of the cup games when Walter would sit in the stand. We were a goal down & Ally was having a piss laugh with the bench not even watching the game.

Wrong - Templeton would be a great signing from Hearts.

I always thought Waghorn was overrated and I didn't think he'd do well at Ipswich. I haven't seen him play down there but by all accounts I was wrong.

Ten minutes into the game against Progres Niederkorn, Dalcio had looked nippy and ran past the fullback a couple of times with the ball. I said he was just the kind of speedy winger we needed and he would be a fan-favourite with that style of play.

Just one mention of Pena on this thread so far :eek:

He had his own little group of fanboys on here
That wasn't controversial to say he wasn't going to make it. It was fair baffling to see so many claim he was doing well though! It was obvious he was a dud. All of Mexico knew he was a waster.

The Minutes To Goals Ratio Loyal on here were insane. He scored against Ross County or something and all of a sudden it was "ahhh we told you he was great. 19 Caps for Mexico." :D

That wasn't controversial to say he wasn't going to make it. It was fair baffling to see so many claim he was doing well though! It was obvious he was a dud. All of Mexico knew he was a waster.

The Minutes To Goals Ratio Loyal on here were insane. He scored against Ross County or something and all of a sudden it was "ahhh we told you he was great. 19 Caps for Mexico." :D

"Dortmund were linked with him 3 seasons ago" :D

I remember the wee compilation video someone made of him that folk would share as if to prove his undeniable quality, one of the clips being a through baw to no one. It's unbelievable to think mad Pedro tried to use him against Brown in a man-marking role. I mean come on tae

Up there with MOH and Ian Black as the most dislikable Rangers player ever

I got Le Guen wrong. Still at least we got Papac thanks to him. Maybe it would have been a different tale had he been financed the way Advocaat was. Whatever happened to him after us? I always thought he'd go onto great things and was using us as a stepping stone.

Warburton/ Barton/ Krancjer (sp?)/ Senderos/ Pedro/ Alves/ Pena - all wrong

Capucho also wrong

Guivarch wrong but what a debut

The ones I got right (in terms of controversial).

Big Marv

I am right that man city are where they are purely down to their owners. Some on here don’t like it and cry to admins, so it’s controversial to them but correct nonetheless.
I along with millions of others have stated that Liverpool are the poets of England . Controversial but 100% accurate.

Wrong - I didn’t think Sterling would amount to much post Liverpool.

Correct - said donkeys ago Sane would go on to be a world beater. Not quite there yet but he’s done pretty well.

Called Mols a dud 5 minutes into the Haka game.

Argued till I was blue in the face that Pedro would take us backwards.

Also said Amato was one of the best players in the squad at the time but not sure I'm right or wrong with that one lol

On the old FF board I was banned indefinitely for saying Warburton wouldn't last until Christmas so technically I was wrong but I was proved right in the end that he was an imposter, still didn't get my ban lifted after he left us in disgrace

I had a couple of 'discussions' either on here or on Twitter when we were linked with Defoe in the summer. More than a few saying he was too old or another Barton, thinking he'd come up here for an easy ride and get found out.

Knew from his time at Sunderland he was going to be class.

On the flip side, I thought that Alfredo Morelos and Eduardo Herrera were going to be like Quinn and Phillips. 50 per cent right there

Pena and Herrera, said both would struggle and was told I was talking pish.

Thought PLG would take us up to a new level of fitness and performance, was totally wrong.

I thought Ally McCoist would be a great manager. Wrong.
I thought Allan McGregor would be average - wrong.
I thought Kamara would be lucky to make the bench - wrong
I thought Arfield was over rated - wrong

I thought we should have stuck with Paul Le Guen - still not sure.....
I thought (until the off the field issue arose) we should have stuck with Warburton.....better than he gets credit for on here. and look what followed.
I thought Davis and Defoe might not be worth it - hmmmnn I still think that's possible
I thought we should sign Alan Hutton back.......

I said Senderos was a haddy and got rounded on, on here.

Controversial due to the love in for his reputation but I was right.

As a young lad I thought Derek Ferguson was better than Ian Durrant.

I got that totally wrong.
Potentially he might well have been.

Huge disappointment the way Derek's career panned out. He looked like a real star in the making when he broke into the first team.

Those 2 could have been a hell of a midfield partnership for a decade or more. Such a shame it wasn't to be.

Last edited:
Wrong - Prso was here for a final pay day

Very, very early right - my dad asking why has nobody heard of this millionaire from Motherwell before now (Whyte obviously)

Wrong - Pep was a bang average manager. Anyone could win trophies with his Barca team. Completely wrong. Particularly after watching the Amazon documentary about Man City! Fantastic manager.

I REALLY didn't want Ally to get the managers job... i thought if he fucked it i'd end up disliking him and he'd ruin his legacy

I was positive Green was a crook from the word go

I thought Le Guen would be amazing for us

I thought signing Weir was a complete waste of time

I along with millions of others have stated that Liverpool are the poets of England . Controversial but 100% accurate.
You are clearly not right and should be in Carstairs. That’s 100% right. Anyway, you are clearly a troublemaker so I will just ignore you going forward. Life’s too short.

Right: Morelos at first youtube viewing I was all in left foot, right foot, headers and assists did it for me.
Wrong: All in on Warbs
Right(I think): I maintain to this day that Eck was a brilliant manager for us under shit circumstances and deserves more credit although well past it now.
Wrong: My username when the boards changed.
Right: I was Mascot on Shotas debut so I take full credit for the wee man.
Wrong: I said i'm not sure where Davis fits in the midfield and was rightly derided.
Right: Whittaker I always hated him.
Wrong: FanFan
Right: Aluko
Wrong: Pena
Right: Following the bears every second of my 28 years

I was slated on here for pointing out that Harry Forrester didn't even look like a footballer after he came on for his debut (against Morton, I think)

It was everything about him that looked wrong even up to the timing that professional players have which doesn't leave them even when they're unfit.

After a few weeks, I accepted that he'd been doing quite well and have improved vastly.

Looks like my first thoughts on him were right all along though as far as him being a Rangers player goes.

He’s playing semi pro football now in the US, your first thoughts were spot on.

He’ll be out the game totally within a year or two, what a waste.

Craig Whyte seemed very dodgy quite quickly people might forget that wasn't a popular conclusion.

Charles Green as much as I thought the share issue was greedy I didn't think we'd get hit by lightning twice-many more people were doubting him than Whyte. Turned out to be another type of snake.

Remembering calling you and SDF everything under the sun. Can't believe I didn't see it.

Bet a guy in the pub £50 Mo Edu would play in less than 5 games for Stoke. Think he played 20 mins for them.
Thought Stephen Hughes was going to be a world beater.

I remember being a fan of Papac early on and thought he could be a good player for us.

However I thought the same thing of Libor Sionko so what do I know!

I also must confess to thinking Marvin Andrews was useless for us. I remember talking to a pal of mine who wasn't a Rangers fan and telling him Andrews was a bombscare and he would never last at Rangers. Sure enough one minute later I got a text saying he'd scored. And we all know how it went on from there and now I love the big man.

You are clearly not right and should be in Carstairs. That’s 100% right. Anyway, you are clearly a troublemaker so I will just ignore you going forward. Life’s too short.
Ok mate. Funny how you’ve spent an entire campaign crying about Man City and the oil money. Someone then shines the torch of truth about Liverpool’s connection with Celtic and you can’t handle it. There’s a video of the 2003 Liverpool Celtic love in and it’s utterly horrific. There’s not a chance I’m uploading that to FF but it’s out there.

Most wrong I think and hence nothing to do with the game ))

Le Guen - should stick with him
Weir / Marvin - couple wasted signings

That said on the road back up I thought kids was the way to go both for on the park and sell on value. And dont get me started on the decorator black

Right about Pedro & his Mexican signings in that they were shite.

Wrong about Gerrard & Grezda (so far) in that I thought the former would be a disaster and the latter would become a good player for us.

In recent times I got it right with Morelos, in fact I spent most of last season arguing with folk around me about his talent. Enjoyed slaughtering them all this season after every goal he scores.

Was right about Sadiq, Flanagan & Lafferty this season.

I took part in the protest against changing the name of Ibrox, during Charles Greens cringey wee speech on the pitch that was lapped up by the majority. Don’t think many on here were pleased. :D

I was wrong about Coulibaly. Watched him & thought he would be perfect for this league, started well but the drop off has been phenomenal. Same goes for Barton.

After selling Arteta back to Spain, I was convinced he would end up playing for a big team. Largely right.
PLG would revolutionalise us and turn us into a decent European side. Wrong.
Walter Smith returning as manager was a step backwards. WRONG.
Warburton would win the SPFL league in 2-3 seasons max. Wrong.
Pedro was largely unproven outside of Mexico and was a massive gamble. Right.
Craig Whyte was generally trustworthy if a little self-serving. WRONG.
I did think Charles Whyte was a shady character, but I also hugely underestimated him; thinking he would make a quick buck from us but cause no lasting damage. Wrong.
Mike Ashley would be nothing but bad news for the club. Right.

Ross Perry would be better than Danny Wilson
Darren Cole would be brilliant in the right/left back role.
Mo Edu could be as good as Yaya Toure

Took a banning on the old board for starting a thread on how we had to get rid of Pedro after the Hibs defeat early season.

Took an absolute shower of abuse for suggesting it and from a few prominent posters still around now.

I’ll take the apologies now cheers lads:D

As a young lad I thought Derek Ferguson was better than Ian Durrant.

I got that totally wrong.

They were very different type of player that combined well.

Ferguson was a fetcher & gatherer who could then pick a pass and get Rangers moving - he was superb at it.

Durrant was non-stop attacking. Get the ball to him and things will happen - he could play a pass, he could dribble, he could shoot, he could take people on and kill them with his pace.
Durrant also had a great telepathy with Ally McCoist and it allowed them to combine around the edge of the box and for Durrant to play up front when required.

Ferguson’s attitude and that bastard Simpson combined to deny Rangers a truly wonderful home-grown midfield core that would have dominated for club & country through the 1990s given the chance.

I told my dad we should go for billy dodds he told me no chance, little time later he was scoring for us in the champions league (sturm graz).

Ive got many many more things wrong though haha

Ross Perry would be better than Danny Wilson
Darren Cole would be brilliant in the right/left back role.
Mo Edu could be as good as Yaya Toure
I actually thought Ross Perry would be fantastic for us too. Wrong on that.

Back