Could McInnes 'take us further'?

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
Most bears I've spoken to accept that we made a mistake with Pedro, and also retained Warburton too long...and that we do need someone more appropriate for the SPL. I've not heard one dissenting voice in terms of us having to 'go solid' and realise where we play and what is required to get points here. However, on the flip side, I've also not heard anyone who believes he will win league or put the willies up Celtic (make of that what you will friends)...everyone from my Dad to folk on social media see him a stopgap: someone who gets us to 2nd, some cup finals, and works out HOW to win the home games and defeat the 'other ten'.

Is that fair? Bristol was tough at the time due to boardroom issues but he was poor, and even sheep can't get through glass ceiling I mentioned above...they're 2nd but light years behind Jimmy Savile FC. Or is he young enough to try and show ambition and actually aim higher? Can he get better? Can he match his ambitions to the size of our club?

What do you think?

It's impossible to say what he'll do with a better standard of player and more of a budget.

For all we know he's identified numerous players but the sheep board have just not been able to sanction them.

Jack, McGinn, Hayes, McLean, Shinnie and a few others have all kicked on under him.

For me he's the best of the realistic names up for it.

If we genuinely had a chance of an Allardyce, Dyche I'd think differently, but we don't.

I just wonder if he is underrated in any way; much as so many threads have him as overrated...

The thing is, as with all managerial appointments, hindsight will be the only guide whether the next guy is up to the job.

He could steady the ship and gradually rebuild the team along more solid lines, with more Scottish / UK players, but he wouldn't be doing so overnight. We'd be a stronger, more robust version of Aberdeen / Hibs. Could he take us 'further' ? Probably not that much, but he could strengthen us - and certainly better than our current underperforming, but not much further than strong SPFL level. He'd likely win us a cup, and he'd make the league a much tighter race, but I still don't think he'd win it.

As for Europe, probably the maximum we could achieve would be a Europa League group stage slot. In short, he'd strengthen us, but not to the point of making us best team in the country. If he was getting near it, the mentally challengeds have the capability and budget to raise their own game. The Septic bean-counters aren't about to surrender an annual £35m jackpot without a fight - and when Brenda goes back south, he wants to do so as a winner, so he can prove his critics wrong.

I just wonder if he is underrated in any way; much as so many threads have him as overrated...
I suppose one could argue that in the same way Naismith, Miller, Kevin Thomson, Ian Ferguson, John Brown and many more improved as players at Rangers DM may improve as a manager.

I think the priority right now is that dreaded word 'stabilisation' throughout the Club. No matter who comes in I see them getting 2 seasons to mount a realistic challenge followed by just a 1 season tilt at toppling the Dhims. Then we get a new man in to 'finish the job off'. We are just so far behind on and off the pitch. I don't see our next Manager winning the title, rather it will be the one who follows him in 3 years time. Obviously, by that stage it could be do-or-die in terms of the Dhims and ten. Hopefully I'm wrong and the next man can perform miracles.

We need somebody who is going to make us the best of the rest. I think McInnes can achieve that.

He would improve us as i'm positive he could help us finish 2nd but in terms of:

A) Challenging Celtic
B) Toppling Celtic

That's the 2 main points where i have serious doubts about him.

I’ve no doubt that he’ll get us second and closer to the Tims. My doubts lie with whether he will improve us enough to challenge for the title. Obviously hope I’m wrong, but we can’t just replace Aberdeen for perpetual second place without laying a glove in Celtic.

He will almost guarantee us 2nd place each season. Prob the odd cup aswell.

But I just can't see him taking us any further than that, happy to be proven wrong though:cool:

He has done well at FC Wool but I'm still not sure if he's the right man.

I'm all for giving Murty a week by week shot at it and see where we are at Xmas, really don't see the rush to appoint someone, we are fighting for 2nd place and are 4 points behind them.

You got me on ignore now?

Your silly ideas are easily ignored without a special button. :)

Tikki Takki will never win us title...ever. Not now or in 2027, or 2127. You fight, then you play your game...same as 1892, 1992 and now.

But you know that...

I believe so.

He will (in my opinion) get us back to where home wins are pretty much automatic, we’re at least challenging celtic and getting hopefully much further in Europe.

The team will gradually improve, McInnes at 46 also has plenty of time to improve if he has any deficiencies.

I’ve already said this morning, but if we’re saying no because he didn’t win the league with an Aberdeen team with a tiny budget, then we’d be as well not looking - there’s isn’t a single manager out there who we could get that would have won the league with that Aberdeen team.

It really is as simple as that.

If Brendan Rogers had been sacked last week and Derek McInnes was touted as the favourite to take over at the Piggery we would be pissing ourselves with laughter.

THAT is where we are at !! :(

If we were spending £4m on players, paying £3m for season long loans and we’re playing in the Champions League, we probably wouldn’t be going for McInnes.

Since people are so obsessed with judging our managerial appointments based on Rodgers or what celtic do, keep in mind he struggled in the Championship with Watford and Reading - left them in 13th and 21st respectively - before getting a break at Swansea.

How do you know this won’t be the move that makes McInnes?

I think he’ll be our new Eck, only he won’t inherit a £60m squad and he’ll face a Yahoo side currently operating on another level.

So we’ll get a more solid team and a better series of results, but the football probably won’t be great and we’ll still languish behind the Beggars.

It’ll be better, but still not good enough.

That’s my gut feeling at any rate.

Being optimistic, many of us were up in arms when we appointed Smith as Souness’s replacement and later McLeish when Wee Dick moved upstairs.

He will get us comfortably into second place and a Scottish cup final appearance if he is given the gig tomorrow, we need to make it much harder for teams coming to Ibrox also, I think he'd do that

Your silly ideas are easily ignored without a special button. :)

Tikki Takki will never win us title...ever. Not now or in 2027, or 2127. You fight, then you play your game...same as 1892, 1992 and now.

But you know that...

You wouldn't be able to find me once saying anything about Tikki Takki. I prefer the way teams like Dortmund or Inter play of late.

I also hate the phrase Tikki Takki! :D

In all seriousness - I don't want a "safe pair of hands". I want progression. That's why I'm not entirely behind the McInnes appointment at this stage. If he's appointed (looks extremely likely), I'll obviously be hoping he proves me wrong.

Yes. He has improved Aberdeen, no doubt about it. Using not winning the league with Aberdeen as a stick to beat him with is ludicrous.

The biggest dissenting voices are yet to offer an argument against him other than the fact that he's Derek McInnes.

I think he’d Do OK, certainly no worse than Pedro or Warbs.

I think the bigger question is how do we want to shape our club and getting in a manager with ideas that are aligned to that.

There does not seem to be that strategic vision for where we want to go to- it’s like too much if one guy is unsuccessful, then chuck everything out and start again.

Post Warburton, for example, we should have looked for someone to take our foundation of 4-3-3 pressing high tempo to the next level. But we swung to another extreme and went for a ‘hoofball’ manager. Smacks of short sightedness.

Last edited:
Nobody knows the answer to that because he hasn't worked with a bigger budget.

He has Aberdeen neck and neck with the best Celtic team in years after 9/10 games this season on a budget 10x less than them. He can't do anymore than he's done at Aberdeen, his win ratio over this time there is phenomenal.

The question is whether with the bigger budget at us, he can do what he's done at Aberdeen but kick it on a couple of levels to get a lot closer to Celtic. That is the million dollar question that will only be answered in time.

Here’s one for the statto’s -

Alex McLeish League win % Rate before taking over Rangers (Full Seasons)

1999- 2000 - 27%
2000- 2001 - 47%

Derek McInnes League win % Rate for Last Two full seasons

2015 - 2016 - 57%
2016 - 2017 - 63%

so far 2017 - 2018 - 72%

Different teams and different eras - McInnes wasn't against a strong Rangers. His teams result and his comments about the game last week v Celtc should have alarm bells ringing all the way down the A90

We all know the old saying walk before you run well for me I want us to be recognise in Europe and by that I do not expect to win but our heads held high and when opposition draw us they know they got a game on this will not happen with McInnes although I understand with God it would be hard.

He could galvanise our Club.

We need a man who can go toe to toe with Rodgers, Levein, Lennon et al.

With a good budget and 50,000 Bears behind him, this is possible.

He does seem to improve players and has picked up some decent unknowns maybe he could get 20% more out of some already at Ibrox.

He took Aberdeen from 9th when he took over from Craig Brown to get them to 3rd then 2nd in less than two years.

Surely that indicates he learned from his mistakes at Bristol City and knows how to improve a team?

You wouldn't be able to find me once saying anything about Tikki Takki. I prefer the way teams like Dortmund or Inter play of late.

I also hate the phrase Tikki Takki! :D

In all seriousness - I don't want a "safe pair of hands". I want progression. That's why I'm not entirely behind the McInnes appointment at this stage. If he's appointed (looks extremely likely), I'll obviously be hoping he proves me wrong.
Until we get players of that certain quality, EoL is right,
we need to win the battle on the park first,

I think he'd take us forward and could well win the league within 3 years. He's worked miracles at Aberdeen in all honesty, they were a bottom six when he took over (and they weren't there by fluke). Realistically, he can't do any more with what he's got at Aberdeen, but given a much increased budget at Ibrox, yes, I think he could win the league.

Mcinnes knows what we’re all about in my opinion will know what is required and will adapt accordingly. Can clearly get the most out of players and is good at keeping a squad together. Under us will unlikely have to replace key players season after season and can build us up. Can he topple the beasts from the east? Perhaps with a higher quality of player and a lot more resources he could. His ability to build a strong and consistent squad is what we need right now.

It’s an absolute and utter no from me, he has done nothing remarkable as a manager, nothing that makes me think that there is another gear or hidden depths. Given that we are saying this is a pivotal hire why would we go for someone as bang average as DM.

Why do you think the tim controlled media and the tim subversives on here are so keen to talk him up for the Rangers job? They feared Pedro as an unknown quantity hence the character assassination from day one of his tenure. They know DM’s quantity and are patently unfased by him. They are no friends of ours!

I agree - if he was only Aberdeen's manager and had no connection with the club nobody would really consider him as material for our manager.

That’s basically just a nonsense though, isn’t it?

The fact that he was ten points ahead of us last year and already five ahead this year is more than enough for people to notice him.

The people who care about the ‘Rangers man’ stuff are those who want Walter or McLeish back.

It’s an absolute and utter no from me, he has done nothing remarkable as a manager, nothing that makes me think that there is another gear or hidden depths. Given that we are saying this is a pivotal hire why would we go for someone as bang average as DM.

Why do you think the tim controlled media and the tim subversives on here are so keen to talk him up for the Rangers job? They feared Pedro as an unknown quantity hence the character assassination from day one of his tenure. They know DM’s quantity and are patently unfased by him. They are no friends of ours!

Arguably the subversives were those talking Pedro up based on nothing.

I just don’t think he can get the best out of our current situation.

We also need investment, sponsorship, new business for that to happen we need interest and a media scramble. I just don’t think McInness brings that.

On the field however, McInness can sort out this shower that Pedro pissed off more each day, of that I am sure.

Don't fancy him at all. Only qualification he seems to have in the eyes of most posters is he is a "Rangers man".

We went down that path with McCoist and it was a dead end.

If he gets the nod I can't see him lasting more than this season.

Back