Could of / Would of

midlandbear

I listened to those two morons on sportscene have a discussion using “could of” and “would of” as if it was a part of the normal vocabulary. All I could think is ‘this is the level of ill educated bufoonery that gets a wage from my license fees’, an absolute joke.

A pair of cretins.

Last edited:
It’s rife on FF.

I don’t know when it started, but it does my tits in and I’m as thick as pig shit too.

Is it deemed okay in today’s classes?
I hope not.

People moan about “grammar polis” but the “could of, would of” twats deserve all they get.
I fully concur.

The amount of illiterate nonsense on here, and in society in general, is an absolute disgrace.

Yes, at times, it may seem pedantic to correct/criticise posters for what gets said on here but it highlights the dumbing down of society in general when one reads some of the drivel spouted on here.

I await the incoming flak but.

(But what FFS)

I teach ESL to adults and I tell them about native speakers using 'would of' and 'should of'. It reflects really poorly on the quality of English tuition at our high schools.

First I've watched that shite in years and Stewart and Thompson are talking about consistency yet the worst incident in the poet game ( a mentally challenged feigning injury to get a fellow pro sent off )was ignored in post match deliberation.
Imagine Alfredo had done the same.

Back to not watching that poet infested shite.

Take the High Road, see Sportscene.

Incredible how more backward BBC Scotland's tele has become in my lifetime...Only An Excuse will soon be on our screens before Jackie Bird takes us into 2020.

Going fukkin backwards seems the norm today when it comes to that ageing station.

It’s just laziness. “Would have” sounds vaguely like “would of” so just make it that.
Only a matter of time before the whole English language becomes phonetic.
It’s because of the abbreviated could’ve and would’ve. It’s sounds like people are saying ‘would of’, but anyone with an IQ above 4 knows how abbreviated words in their own language are constructed.

I often see a sentence like “a could of scored that” instead of “ I could have scored that”

Did these people drop out of school in primary?
The most puzzling thing in all of this, is that most of the people who do this would not have started doing it until into adulthood. I often wonder who the first eejit was to do it, who got the ball rolling, and would he ever of thunk it would of gone viral.

I listened to those two morons on sportscene have a discussion using “could of” and “would of” as if it was a part of the normal vocabulary. All I could think is ‘this is the level of ill educated bufoonery that gets a wage from my license fees’, an absolute joke.

A pair of cretins.
You could of just turned it off in fact it would of been better
For you to of . :p

I fully concur.

The amount of illiterate nonsense on here, and in society in general, is an absolute disgrace.

Yes, at times, it may seem pedantic to correct/criticise posters for what gets said on here but it highlights the dumbing down of society in general when one reads some of the drivel spouted on here.

I await the incoming flak but.

(But what FFS)
When a numb nut (me) is pulling you up, it’s time to worry.

They are utter idiots and it is embarrassing. BTW I have a degree but I am rubbish at grammar. Can anyone tell me when and why (they started) putting random parenthesis into statements (which don’t) actually need them?

It’s rife on FF.

I don’t know when it started, but it does my tits in and I’m as thick as pig shit too.

Is it deemed okay in today’s classes?
I hope not.

People moan about “grammar polis” but the “could of, would of” twats deserve all they get.

Very few people using fans’ forums know the difference between ”bias” and “biased”.

“The referee was bias” makes no sense whatsoever.

I regularly have to engage with our English offices, and every bastarding email from them has this shite in it. It drives me nuts.

This thread is pure catnip for me. I detest how rapidly we’re going backwards. By the end of the next decade we’ll be back to communicating via grunts and whistles (and emojis).

I blame the easy access to social media for knuckle-draggers:

way = with
wen = when
wain = wean
ryt = right
abt = about

...etc.

There’s a FB page for the village I live in. I swear it looks like someone has broken into their houses and stolen all the vowels from their keyboards.

Take the High Road, see Sportscene.

Incredible how more backward BBC Scotland's tele has become in my lifetime...Only An Excuse will soon be on our screens before Jackie Bird takes us into 2020.

Going fukkin backwards seems the norm today when it comes to that ageing station.

Fortunately, for most of us anyway, there is no Jackie Bird on the TV this New Year's Eve.

It's funny that we used to have a laugh at the Ned Speak used in Chewin The Fat, but it's now the norm on BBC Scotland.

First I've watched that shite in years and Stewart and Thompson are talking about consistency yet the worst incident in the poet game ( a mentally challenged feigning injury to get a fellow pro sent off )was ignored in post match deliberation.
Imagine Alfredo had done the same.

Back to not watching that poet infested shite.

That was hilarious. Stewart confirms, Jillian hit out, admits he struck the st mirren player, with intent, doesnt think it warrants any action but demands consistency. So he wants consistent ignorance if its a scum player and a consistent red if its Rangers. Hes a complete fanny.

And yet again he is just wanting us to forget the actions of them in their game at St Mirren and just move on. He should be removed from the programme as he is just trolling.

Back