Could of / Would of

Putting the preposition 'of' in place of the verb 'have' shows a lack of grammatical knowledge and is yet another manifestation of the dumbing down of society. Because some dimwit writes 'would of' on social media, this appears to make it acceptable for all other dimwits to do the same.

The words would've, could've and should've are contractions of would have, could have and should have. There is no usage in which would of would ever be correct. The ending 've represents have, not of.
"Would of" doesn't MEAN anything. It is senseless! "Would have" makes perfect sense.

"Of" does not equal "have", and regardless of how it sounds in contemporary speech, the distinction must be maintained in written English.

The minute you correct anyone over the use of could of / should of......they go off their nuts like they're in the right

My wife works in recruitment - more and more application forms are now conpleted with these grammatical aberrations and text speak commonplace

Curriculum for excrement

Society in general seems to be getting lazier when it comes to grammar/spelling and even basic math. The amount of people on social media that can’t spell is unbelievable.

The 3 R’s need to be paid more attention to at school I doubt.

What really gets on my moobs, is when someone puts loose instead of lose.

That’s one of my most hated ones. That, aloud instead of allowed and people mixing up their, they’re and there.
I must admit, punctuation has never been my strong point, but I hate basic spelling errors.

I regularly have to engage with our English offices, and every bastarding email from them has this shite in it. It drives me nuts.
I bet that’s its riddled with classics like “Them ones” or the use of “these” as in “”We can beat these” instead of “them”.
Or that all time favourite when they refer to the ground as the floor. I heard a Glaswegian say that yesterday and felt like punching him!!!

Surprised no one has yet mentioned the almost universal tendency for ex footballer pundits to replace "those" with "them". They do it constantly, "them are the goals you need to be scoring", "them players need to take a look at themselves" etc. Yes I'm definitely thinking of you Robbie Savage you thick twat

I listened to those two morons on sportscene have a discussion using “could of” and “would of” as if it was a part of the normal vocabulary. All I could think is ‘this is the level of ill educated bufoonery that gets a wage from my license fees’, an absolute joke.

A pair of cretins.
There will be many on here wondering what you’re on about.

Surprised no one has yet mentioned the almost universal tendency for ex footballer pundits to replace "those" with "them". They do it constantly, "them are the goals you need to be scoring", "them players need to take a look at themselves" etc. Yes I'm definitely thinking of you Robbie Savage you thick twat

Like the guy that posted above you? :D

Whilst I'm raging ....... folk saying 'one of the only x', as in 'he's one of the only players to score 100 goals'.
Stop talking shite.

I teach ESL to adults and I tell them about native speakers using 'would of' and 'should of'. It reflects really poorly on the quality of English tuition at our high schools.
No it doesn’t. It reflects accurately on the lazy, couldn’t care less individuals who basically write the way they talk. Not so much to do with the level of tuition - more to do with the lack of effort or interest shown by those being taught.

My wife works in recruitment - more and more application forms are now conpleted with these grammatical aberrations and text speak commonplace

Curriculum for excrement
I've told my son to correct spelling errors in his homework and been told that his 'teacher says it doesn't matter as long as she gets the idea of what I mean' . She confirmed this at parents' night.

I prescribe medicines, sometimes there's only a one or two letter difference between drugs which do very different things.

Chlorpromazine - anti psychotic
Chlorpropamide - anti diabetic (3 letters difference).

Cycloserine - treats TB
Cyclosporine - used to prevent organ rejection post transplant

Procet - codeine and paracetamol (cocodamol)
Percocet - oxycodone and paracetamol

I won't accept 'as long as we have an idea of what you mean'.

If I had your wife's role, I'd be binning all of those applications, particularly if they then claim to have a 'keen eye for detail' on their supporting statement.

I bet that’s its riddled with classics like “Them ones” or the use of “these” as in “”We can beat these” instead of “them”.
Or that all time favourite when they refer to the ground as the floor. I heard a Glaswegian say that yesterday and felt like punching him!!!
You should off grounded him.

Are you sure they weren't just saying "could've and would've?

Was it that obvious they were using the word "of"?
It's very evident, especially with the failed trialist (X2), that it's "could of" or "should of".

He's a fu.cking moron.

I listened to those two morons on sportscene have a discussion using “could of” and “would of” as if it was a part of the normal vocabulary. All I could think is ‘this is the level of ill educated bufoonery that gets a wage from my license fees’, an absolute joke.

A pair of cretins.
You've missed 2 commas mate.

I've told my son to correct spelling errors in his homework and been told that his 'teacher says it doesn't matter as long as she gets the idea of what I mean' . She confirmed this at parents' night.

I prescribe medicines, sometimes there's only a one or two letter difference between drugs which do very different things.

Chlorpromazine - anti psychotic
Chlorpropamide - anti diabetic (3 letters difference).

Cycloserine - treats TB
Cyclosporine - used to prevent organ rejection post transplant

Procet - codeine and paracetamol (cocodamol)
Percocet - oxycodone and paracetamol

I won't accept 'as long as we have an idea of what you mean'.

If I had your wife's role, I'd be binning all of those applications, particularly if they then claim to have a 'keen eye for detail' on their supporting statement.
She does ;)

I'd like to take this opportunity to bleat about the increasing use of "a course" instead of "of course". The irony here is that anyone using 'of course' in the first place is doing their utmost to come across as an intellectual.

It’s rife on FF.

I don’t know when it started, but it does my tits in and I’m as thick as pig shit too.

Is it deemed okay in today’s classes?
I hope not.

People moan about “grammar polis” but the “could of, would of” twats deserve all they get.
“A” instead of “I”.
As in “A would like” instead of “I would like.
Baby talk.
NED talk actually.

Or even read their message back before posting?

Another common mistake is the misuse of There and Their, boils my piss.
Not too long ago, poster went to great lengths to explain the use of there, their and they’re.
Also, too and to.
You could almost hear his anger as he banged his fingers off the keyboard.

Not too long ago, poster went to great lengths to explain the use of there, their and they’re.
Also, too and to.
You could almost hear his anger as he banged his fingers off the keyboard.
It wasn't me but I sympathise with the poster's frustration. It doesn't require a genius IQ to get basics like those right.

They are utter idiots and it is embarrassing. BTW I have a degree but I am rubbish at grammar. Can anyone tell me when and why (they started) putting random parenthesis into statements (which don’t) actually need them?
It's parentheses, the plural of parenthesis. ;)

This thread is pure catnip for me. I detest how rapidly we’re going backwards. By the end of the next decade we’ll be back to communicating via grunts and whistles (and emojis).

I blame the easy access to social media for knuckle-draggers:

way = with
wen = when
wain = wean
ryt = right
abt = about

...etc.

There’s a FB page for the village I live in. I swear it looks like someone has broken into their houses and stolen all the vowels from their keyboards.
At least the above is usually folk simply shortening words.

Some folk actually don't know the examples in the OP.

I fully concur.

The amount of illiterate nonsense on here, and in society in general, is an absolute disgrace.

Yes, at times, it may seem pedantic to correct/criticise posters for what gets said on here but it highlights the dumbing down of society in general when one reads some of the drivel spouted on here.

I await the incoming flak but.

(But what FFS)
You lost it at the beginning mate.
"I fully concur." :p

That’s one of my most hated ones. That, aloud instead of allowed and people mixing up their, they’re and there.
I must admit, punctuation has never been my strong point, but I hate basic spelling errors.
"fir" in place of "for" is another.

A pair of cretins.

Buffoonery, not bufoonery. Just saying.

Rediculous is my personal kryptonite. Read it far too often on here.

Last edited:
I could not disagree more. Yes, it’s not the Queen’s English, but, judging someone’s intelligence by the way they happen to speak is fucking awful. In the written word maybe I can agree. However, are we saying that anyone who speaks with a working class Glasgow accent and uses west of Scotland vernacular is thick?
Gordon Daniel may make your toes curl from time to time, but at the end of the day, he’s turned round and communicated what he’s tried to articulate, even if his opinion may be a pile of shite.

Do we really want to get to the stage where a punter from Bridgeton with a Masters Degree can’t get a job due to sounding like Derek Ferguson rather than Graham Le Saux?
FFS, have a bit of pride in your roots. Swearing like a sailor is the height of ignorance, but there is nothing wrong with a genuine Scottish accent.

There (nb) are far too many examples of basic illiteracy and laziness nowadays.

Some that really annoy me are;

of for have

seen for saw

done for did

how for why

eh for the

here, here (shout for a pass or for a dog to come over) for hear, hear

rangers for Rangers, (can admin not make the capital R a default in the same fashion as the c word changes to lady's front bottom? )

We live in a world where folk spell and grammarmarise in the fashion of Charles Nicholas and his 'kafflik chums' and it's getting worse.

WATP

A lot of grammatical errors are made on social media due to predictive text - if it gives you an option which sounds even vaguely like the word you’re trying to convey, that’s close enough.
I saw someone describe a gig they were at as an “excellent knight”, among all the usual “should ofs” “could ofs” “anos” etc.
I think basically it’s a generational difference, auld gits like myself who were educated by tawse-wielding old style teachers had English grammar drummed into us to such a degree that it’s instinctive to recognise mistakes. Younger people didn’t have that style of education and are less concerned by it.

A lot of grammatical errors are made on social media due to predictive text - if it gives you an option which sounds even vaguely like the word you’re trying to convey, that’s close enough.
I saw someone describe a gig they were at as an “excellent knight”, among all the usual “should ofs” “could ofs” “anos” etc.
I think basically it’s a generational difference, auld gits like myself who were educated by tawse-wielding old style teachers had English grammar drummed into us to such a degree that it’s instinctive to recognise mistakes. Younger people didn’t have that style of education and are less concerned by it.

Why can’t governments force the digital giants to ensure that predictive text algorithms reject clear errors like “would of”?

It’s only a generational difference because standards have been allowed to decline so rapidly.

Back